2018 Texas HS Football

Equinox

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Looks like the rematch of the 2005 semis is on.

This Brenham team is in serious rebuilding mode.  If they were still in Region III, I'm not sure that they would have even made the playoffs this year.  I'd love to see them go compete, but I fear that they're in over their heads next weekend.  I'm still very impressed with how this year's team picked themselves up after an ugly 1-3 start.

This Brenham team is in serious rebuilding mode.  If they were still in Region III, I'm not sure that they would have even made the playoffs this year.  I'd love to see them go compete, but I fear that they're in over their heads next weekend.  I'm still very impressed with how this year's team picked themselves up after an ugly 1-3 start.

They are kind of young and maybe unfair to compare them to the Brenham teams of the not so distant past because of that. The team we faced in the Semis in 2005 had a number of players who went on to big boy schools to play college ball.

I was at this game Friday, my younger cousin plays in the mighty Panther band. Weslaco has a good record but I really wasn't impressed seeing them in person, even by valley standards. They have a shifty QB but he only completes about half his passes, and the playcalling is Harbaugh-level predictable. Next week figures to be LT's easiest playoff win ever unfortunately. United's QB had a cannon, one of the stronger arms I've seen on a HS QB actually. 

20 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

A few upsets last night in the East Texas region:

Troup defeated Waskom 47-41 in OT and Malakoff defeated Jefferson.

Note: Both Waskom and Jefferson were undefeated prior.

What happened with Jefferson? From what I know this year, they were very balanced and TQ is a damn good receiver. Big shame for my home town. They just get outplayed?

2 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

What happened with Jefferson? From what I know this year, they were very balanced and TQ is a damn good receiver. Big shame for my home town. They just get outplayed?

They were outplayed in the run game. Malakoff's RB had 141 rush yards against what was supposedly a good Jefferson rush defense.

7 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

They were outplayed in the run game. Malakoff's RB had 141 rush yards against what was supposedly a good Jefferson rush defense.

That makes sense. I don’t follow a lot unless they are doing well, but I know a few people from there that were concerned about their D. I spent a few post college years in Longview and much prefer rooting for the Lobos, so I’m glad to see they are kicking ass. State bound, IMO

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

That makes sense. I don’t follow a lot unless they are doing well, but I know a few people from there that were concerned about their D. I spent a few post college years in Longview and much prefer rooting for the Lobos, so I’m glad to see they are kicking ass. State bound, IMO

Longview has dropped the hammer on everyone this season.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

I was at this game Friday, my younger cousin plays in the mighty Panther band. Weslaco has a good record but I really wasn't impressed seeing them in person, even by valley standards. They have a shifty QB but he only completes about half his passes, and the playcalling is Harbaugh-level predictable. Next week figures to be LT's easiest playoff win ever unfortunately. United's QB had a cannon, one of the stronger arms I've seen on a HS QB actually. 

I was watching this game on YouTube... Weslaco is my alma mater and some of my old teammates still teach and coach there. I was at their game last week against Harlingen. 

I agree with your assessment though.  QB has actually improved in accuracy since last year and hopefully continues to improve as a senior next year, but he's not a top level passer.  QB run game has been the staple of our offense this year and he's done a good job running the offense.  I'd say top 3 - 5 team in the valley this year.  Defense has played very well and very physical all year, but I doubt they'll be able to contain Card/Wilson. Should be an easy win for LT.

15 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Everyone but Rockwall, I think they won by 1. That district is looking way tougher now. Funny that horn who got 4th is still alive with Longview.

Longview beat Rockwall 42-35. The only other team that stayed within 28 points all season was Lufkin in week 1 35-28.

They’re averaging 54 points per game and only giving up 17. The craziest stat I heard during the game last night though is that Longview has only had to punt the ball 7 times in 12 games  

These kids seem like a real threat to finally get it done this year. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, The Maestro said:

And he's only a Junior, right?

Yep. Guy i work with goes to almost every Lobo game and has for awhile. He says this offense is something he's never seen at Longview before. King has something like 2k yards thrown and 1 INT. Crazy. 

Longview has broken my heart too many times to get excited. This feels like it could be the year, so I'm planning on a loss next weekend versus Vanderwhatever ... Longview has to be the best program in the state by far never to have won it. Anybody know much about Vander? The record obviously impressive, but I don't know much about that district. I can barely even keep up with how the playoffs are done these days. :) Get off my yard, but I remember when one team / district made it, now basically half the schools make the playoffs it seems with so many classifications and playoffs. Texas high school playoffs have become bowls - too many to keep track of.

20 hours ago, RegularSizedRudy said:

Longview beat Rockwall 42-35. The only other team that stayed within 28 points all season was Lufkin in week 1 35-28.

They’re averaging 54 points per game and only giving up 17. The craziest stat I heard during the game last night though is that Longview has only had to punt the ball 7 times in 12 games  

These kids seem like a real threat to finally get it done this year. 

Longview was my dark horse pick to win state at the beginning of the season.