2018 Texas HS Football

Equinox

23 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Just checking in to say I’m shocked that Seguin is 6-2 (5-0). First time in a while my hometown hasn’t been shit.

Hmm, you're the second Shagster/Surlie that's from my hometown. What are the odds.

I've heard from an old high school buddy (that still lives there) that when they do win, they are crushing the opponents.

45 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Just checking in to say I’m shocked that Seguin is 6-2 (5-0). First time in a while my hometown hasn’t been shit.

They were cleaning up on shitty AISD teams (pardon the redundancy), but they beat Dripping in OT last week, and Drip has been pretty good the last few years.

28 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

They were cleaning up on shitty AISD teams (pardon the redundancy), but they beat Dripping in OT last week, and Drip has been pretty good the last few years.

Yeah, the AISD 5A district is a dumpster fire.  LBJ and McCallum can be decent occasionally, but the rest is awful.

1 hour ago, drewcifer said:

I like to think so, and planning to attend, but I don't want to take a win for granted when Midway has won the past four. 

Pressure him and he'll shit all over himself. He isn't the athlete or the kid with a lot of high dollar specialized coaching their QBs usually are.

They've been winning in spite of him because of the talent around him. Their RB is good.

• Fuck You 1

12 hours ago, NIUHuskies said:

Just saw that Atascocita was up 56 to 0 in the 2nd Q. Holy butt whooping

Pasadena HS has only scored 41 points this season and given up almost 400 so it isn't surprising that Atascosita got up so big early. Several of the Pasadena schools are pretty bad so Humble ISD is dominating 22-6A this year. 

As for Atascosita, they were lucky to escape Summer Creek last week and Kingwood gave them a run as well. Don't think Atascosita is as good as last year but will win the district after beating Summer Creek. 

Interesting dynamics setting up between Atascosita and Summer Creek in the district in the future. Summer Creek hired Kenny Harrison from Port Arthur Memorial last year - former Longhorn - and we all know Atascosita's coaching staff is led by former Ag Craig Stump. Both schools sit squarely in the high growth area in that part of town. Depending on how fast that area grows, they might have to insert a 3rd HS in between the 2 (land is already purchased.....just need demographics to catch up). Until then, these will be the 2 largest schools in HISD and likely the two slugging it out for district supremacy (at least as long as both are in 22-6A). 

On 10/28/2018 at 12:15 PM, futureman said:

how does the team stack up to the previous two years?  is morris the gamer that jones was?  I know he’s putting up great numbers but jones was special.  

The defense is better than last year, Morris isn't Jones good but he's good enough. 

Took in a game tonight between my alma mater and Arlington Heights. It was a blowout, but when Heights scored their only touchdown and the band started playing the Texas fight song my 3 year old nephew immediately started cheering and dancing and throwing up the Horns

Edited by cmontexas
  • Like 1

AP TEXAS TOP 10 FARED

Results for the teams ranked in The Associated Press Texas high school football poll.

Class 6A

1. Allen (9-0) beat Prosper 54-24.

2. Galena Park North Shore (8-0) at Beaumont United, Saturday.

3. Converse Judson (8-0) beat SA East Central 51-14.

4. Longview (9-0) beat Tyler Lee 63-14.

5. Duncanville (9-0) beat Richardson 65-7.

6. Southlake Carroll (9-0) beat FW Eaton 45-0.

7. Katy (8-1) beat Katy Mayde Creek 62-3.

8. Austin Westlake (8-1) beat Austin Anderson 35-7.

9. Cypress Ranch (9-0) beat Bryan 27-0.

10. Lake Travis (7-1) beat Buda Hays 44-27.

Class 5A

1. Aledo (9-0) beat Joshua 58-14.

2. Dallas Highland Park (9-0) beat Lancaster 39-14.

3. Denton Ryan (9-0) beat Grapevine 52-14.

4. Fort Bend Marshall (8-0) vs. Houston Northside, Saturday.

5. Lufkin (8-1) beat Conroe Caney Creek 63-0.

6. Hutto (8-0) beat Manor 65-35.

7. Lubbock Cooper (9-0) beat Abilene Wylie 31-12.

8. Alvin Shadow Creek (8-0) beat Fort Bend Hightower 28-12.

9. Frisco Reedy (9-0) idle.

10. College Station (8-1) beat Tomball 21-0.

Class 4A

1. Carthage (9-0) beat Henderson 34-0.

2. Argyle (9-0) beat Anna 43-17.

3. Liberty Hill (7-1) beat Taylor 77-12.

4. Waco La Vega (7-2) beat Brownwood 57-19.

5. Cuero (8-1) beat Geronimo Navarro 43-7.

6. Midlothian Heritage (8-1) beat Waxahachie Life 49-20.

7. Sealy (9-0) beat West Columbia 42-17.

8. Texarkana Pleasant Grove (8-2) beat Longview Spring Hill 41-0.

9. Jasper (9-0) beat Cleveland Tarkington 54-24.

10. Glen Rose (7-1) idle.

Class 3A

1. Newton (8-0) beat Corrigan-Camden 56-7.

2. Gunter (9-0) beat Henrietta 50-0.

3. Goliad (7-2) lost to Edna 17-7.

4. Brock (8-1) beat Boyd 43-15.

5. Canadian (8-1) beat Dimmitt 62-6.

6. Childress (8-1) beat Spearman 26-16.

7. Clifton (9-0) idle.

8. Gladewater (8-1) beat Gladewater Sabine 28-16.

9. Franklin (7-1) beat Diboll 34-20.

10. Jefferson (9-0) beat Hooks 50-7.

Class 2A

1. Mason (9-0) beat Harper 56-6.

2. Wellington (9-0) beat Memphis 60-0.

3. Mart (8-1) beat Dawson 63-6.

4. Shiner (8-1) idle.

5. New Deal (8-0) beat Post 32-7.

6. Falls City (8-0) at D'Hanis, Saturday.

7. Price Carlisle (9-0) beat Big Sandy 40-7.

8. Muenster (8-2) beat Era 49-6.

9. Refugio (7-2) beat Ben Bolt 75-0.

10. Iraan (8-1) lost to McCamey 12-6.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2018 at 10:50 PM, Tex Pete said:

QB must have played a sound game tonight. 

He completed a few nice passes and big gains against a soft Temple zone, but most of the damage came on the ground. Their workhorse RB put up 220 or so, and he was gashing them on 1st and 2nd downs. I was impressed with Midway's coach. He seems to get that HS football isn't football anymore. It's a video game. He went for it on 4th down 4-5 times, I think, maybe even 6, including on 4th and 1 from his own 10. The only time Temple stopped them on 4th they were called for a facemask and the drive continued anyway. I like Temple's coach but he seems to consistently lose close games like this because he plays too conventional, IMO (see: state title game vs. HP where they run the same power dive play four times from the one and come up empty).

Overall I though both teams played pretty even. Temple just played sloppy, which has been an issue for them throughout this latest period of football success. They turned it over three times, including a pick-six and a fumble on the first play after forcing a Midway punt in the 4th Q, tied at 28-28. They gave up an onside kick following Midway's go-ahead FG - a toe-punch that hit a guy at midfield and everyone stood there looking at it while Midway recovered with about four minutes left. Plus Temple turned it over on downs twice inside the 10. The first time they got too cute with a dive play from the squatty nose tackle that went nowhere, and the second time they just came up a few inches short on the goal line.

Midway's obviously doing something right; they've won 36 straight district games and they keep finding a way to edge Temple every year. I'm not sure if either of these teams has a long playoff run in them in 6A this year, but that was a fun game to watch.

From Stepp's column:

Temple is now put in the odd situation of improving its possible playoff seeding with a loss next week at Copperas Cove. If Temple beats Copperas Cove, the Wildcats face the very tall task of a bi-district playoff game at Longview who will likely be 10-0 going into that matchup. If Temple loses to Copperas Cove, the Wildcats will actually end up hosting a playoff game as that would send Midway into the Division I bracket. An odd twist to the split division setup in Class 6A.

15 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

From Stepp's column:

Temple is now put in the odd situation of improving its possible playoff seeding with a loss next week at Copperas Cove. If Temple beats Copperas Cove, the Wildcats face the very tall task of a bi-district playoff game at Longview who will likely be 10-0 going into that matchup. If Temple loses to Copperas Cove, the Wildcats will actually end up hosting a playoff game as that would send Midway into the Division I bracket. An odd twist to the split division setup in Class 6A.

I saw that last night on FOX SW. I cannot imagine that Stewart would entertain essentially throwing the game for better playoff seeding. And you figure if you want to make a run you'd have to play them eventually anyway. Temple isn't new to knocking out undefeated teams... Manvel, George Ranch, Foster, Ridgepoint, etc.

36 minutes ago, drewcifer said:

I saw that last night on FOX SW. I cannot imagine that Stewart would entertain essentially throwing the game for better playoff seeding. And you figure if you want to make a run you'd have to play them eventually anyway. Temple isn't new to knocking out undefeated teams... Manvel, George Ranch, Foster, Ridgepoint, etc.

But they haven't done it at the 6A level.

And I agree that there is no way they intentionally lose. As much sense as it may make, it goes against everything coaches believe and teach their players to do.

I'm not even sure what would constitute the term "intentionally lose."

That said, they already have a berth in the playoffs locked up.  A lot of other teams do, too.  And a lot of those teams will bench starters, either before or early in the game, to get them fresh and healthy for next week.  I don't see anything wrong with that.  

36 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I'm not even sure what would constitute the term "intentionally lose."

That said, they already have a berth in the playoffs locked up.  A lot of other teams do, too.  And a lot of those teams will bench starters, either before or early in the game, to get them fresh and healthy for next week.  I don't see anything wrong with that.  

Sure, but I can't see them benching starters to the point that they allow themselves to lose the game. Cove doesn't have the QB play this year to beat Temple straight up, and unlike Midway, there aren't enough other pieces on the team to do it in spite of the QB.

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

But they haven't done it at the 6A level.

And I agree that there is no way they intentionally lose. As much sense as it may make, it goes against everything coaches believe and teach their players to do.

You're right, they haven't. But in their last four years in 5A they went to two state finals and two regional finals, and quite a few of the teams they beat were all right there on that 6A/5A line as well so it's not like their success came solely because of weak competition. Also worth noting that Temple's last playoff run when 5A was still the top classification, Cedar Hill had to rally from down two scores in the 4th Q to oust them.

Not saying Temple would knock off Longview, just saying that they tend to come to play when it matters.

On 11/6/2018 at 1:11 PM, Tex Pete said:

Sure, but I can't see them benching starters to the point that they allow themselves to lose the game. Cove doesn't have the QB play this year to beat Temple straight up, and unlike Midway, there aren't enough other pieces on the team to do it in spite of the QB.

Cove 22, Temple 18

Class 6A
1. Allen (10-0) beat Plano West 63-7.

2. Galena Park North Shore (10-0) beat Channelview 70-7.

3. Converse Judson (9-0) beat Schertz Clemens 49-7.

4. Longview (10-0) beat Mesquite 55-24.

5. Duncanville (10-0) beat Dallas Molina 49-0.

6. Southlake Carroll (10-0) beat Keller Timber Creek 57-13.

7. Katy (9-1) beat Katy Taylor 24-0.

8. Austin Westlake (9-1) beat Austin Bowie 35-0.

9. Cypress Ranch (10-0) beat Tomball Memorial 35-14.

10. Lake Travis (8-1) beat Austin Anderson 56-14.

Class 5A
1. Aledo (10-0) beat Arlington Seguin 49-7.

2. Dallas Highland Park (10-0) beat Mansfield Timberview 42-7.

3. Denton Ryan (10-0) beat N. Richland Hills Birdville 49-28.

4. Fort Bend Marshall (10-0) beat Houston Madison 60-2.

5. Lufkin (9-1) beat Waller 38-7.

6. Hutto (9-0) beat Leander Rouse 40-0.

7. Lubbock Cooper (10-0) beat Canyon Randall 49-7.

8. Alvin Shadow Creek (8-0) at Rosenberg Terry, Saturday.

9. Frisco Reedy (10-0) beat Princeton 28-9.

10. College Station (8-2) lost to Magnolia West 27-21.

Class 4A
1. Carthage (10-0) beat Kilgore 48-22.

2. Argyle (10-0) beat Celina 63-21.

3. Liberty Hill (8-1) beat Fischer Canyon Lake 47-0.

4. Waco La Vega (8-2) beat Gatesville 49-14.

5. Cuero (9-1) beat Wimberley 73-14.

6. Midlothian Heritage (9-1) beat Mabank 56-28.

7. Sealy (10-0) beat Needville 43-14.

8. Texarkana Pleasant Grove (8-2) idle.

9. Jasper (10-0) beat Center 54-25.

10. Glen Rose (8-1) beat Venus 56-6.

Class 3A
1. Newton (9-0) beat Anderson-Shiro 47-0.

2. Gunter (10-0) beat Callisburg 41-13.

3. Brock (9-1) beat Paradise 77-21.

4. Canadian (9-1) beat Spearman 49-24.

5. Childress (9-1) beat Tulia 30-12.

6. Clifton (10-0) beat Rogers 48-8.

7. Jefferson (10-0) beat Redwater 62-7.

8. Franklin (8-1) beat Crockett 73-28.

9. Gladewater (9-1) beat Tatum 36-35.

10. Yoakum (7-2) lost to Goliad 17-14.

Class 2A
1. Mason (10-0) beat Sabinal 56-0.

2. Wellington (10-0) beat Wheeler 42-8.

3. Mart (9-1) beat Frost 67-6.

4. Shiner (9-1) beat Wallis Brazos 39-7.

5. New Deal (9-0) beat Sundown 61-19.

6. Falls City (10-0) beat Pettus 49-7.

7. Price Carlisle (10-0) beat Hawkins 73-0.

8. Muenster (8-2) idle.

9. Refugio (8-2) beat Three Rivers 55-0.