Urban Meyer suspended first 3 games

Machinator

It's worse when a program at Ohio State's level does this because they don't need Urban Meyer to win a lot of games. They will have great recruiting classes forever which is why 2 average coaches like Cooper and Tressel were able to win a lot. Ohio State has made a lot of progress as a university in the last 25 years and they're going to tarnish it with this crap.

27 minutes ago, Phillip91 said:

It's worse when a program at Ohio State's level does this because they don't need Urban Meyer to win a lot of games. They will have great recruiting classes forever which is why 2 average coaches like Cooper and Tressel were able to win a lot. Ohio State has made a lot of progress as a university in the last 25 years and they're going to tarnish it with this crap.

Well on one hand its worse but on the other coaches with 3 championship rings just don't grow on trees. I wouldn't say Tressel is an average coach either. He has 5 rings himself. If average coaches can win 80-85% of their games at major programs then no program would ever have down years.

49 minutes ago, Surlybastard said:

Isn't there some gray area between what was shown in the pics and going full on smokin Joe Mixon on someone?

Not IMO. If you have a history of beating your wife, does not matter if it's a punch or a choke - that husband is a POS. It's also what makes Mixon and ou's stance, unacceptable. I look forward to being at the RRS when karma comes collecting debts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Not IMO. If you have a history of beating your wife, does not matter if it's a punch or a choke - that husband is a POS. It's also what makes Mixon and ou's stance, unacceptable. I look forward to being at the RRS when karma comes collecting debts. 

Well sure at the end of the day he's still a pos. I just don't recall any pics which gave the appearance of him putting his fist through her face. It seemed more like pics of him grabbing her arms and one that had some blood on her elbow or something. Definitely inexcusable though nothing serious enough the police sought charges if i have this story reasonably straight. 

14 minutes ago, Surlybastard said:

Well sure at the end of the day he's still a pos. I just don't recall any pics which gave the appearance of him putting his fist through her face. It seemed more like pics of him grabbing her arms and one that had some blood on her elbow or something. Definitely inexcusable though nothing serious enough the police sought charges if i have this story reasonably straight. 

Potato - PotAto

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10211886876396166&id=1498798014

Bruce said that Courtney’s mother, Tina Carano, also heard her daughter state her plans against her husband for his infidelities. The mother and daughter have become estranged over the issue, Bruce claimed. She said Tina Carano also believes Zach Smith never struck her daughter.
“Her own mother is backing Zach in this issue and I am sure that makes her mad,” she said. “They do not speak anymore.”
Reached this afternoon, Tina Carano would only communicate via text messages and backed Lynn Bruce’s version.
When asked if she believed her daughter’s claims of physical abuse, she replied, “I believe that Zach was removing himself from an argument and I do not believe he intentionally abused her. I do not believe he actually intentionally swung or punched her … no.”
As far as ever hearing her daughter say she would “take Zach down,” she replied, “Yes.”

Courtney's mom doesn't believe her?  wtf?

Edited by Parliament

If daughter told Mom it was all fake, that could weigh against the prolonged history of documentation including police reports. It would not explain Urban's hiding the issue and lying, firing Zach, and a lot of other things, but it would be in the equation.

If Mom can only report that her daughter wanted to take down her ex, I don't see how that is remotely incompatible with said ex's having been an abuser.

Edited by Magus Ossis

55 minutes ago, Parliament said:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10211886876396166&id=1498798014

Bruce said that Courtney’s mother, Tina Carano, also heard her daughter state her plans against her husband for his infidelities. The mother and daughter have become estranged over the issue, Bruce claimed. She said Tina Carano also believes Zach Smith never struck her daughter.
“Her own mother is backing Zach in this issue and I am sure that makes her mad,” she said. “They do not speak anymore.”
Reached this afternoon, Tina Carano would only communicate via text messages and backed Lynn Bruce’s version.
When asked if she believed her daughter’s claims of physical abuse, she replied, “I believe that Zach was removing himself from an argument and I do not believe he intentionally abused her. I do not believe he actually intentionally swung or punched her … no.”
As far as ever hearing her daughter say she would “take Zach down,” she replied, “Yes.”

giphy.gif

58 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Hmm, except for the small detail of text messages where she calls him out on his physical abuse, he admits it and apologizes.  Ya, except for that small detail this estranged mom story has legs.  

So now it's becoming common knowledge about his philandering, perhaps he was banging mom.  Ohio and al, if it were in Arkansas that would just be assumed..

First, I hope Urbie gets canned, from both moralistic and Longhorn-centric points of view.

What I’m about to say is in no way intended to be a defense of either osu or Meyer, but rather is intended to introduce a different perspective into the discussion. We’ve spent a lot of the last 30 pages trying to one-up each other in our condemnation of domestic violence. Reminds me of the Rapelor thread—we just had to prove that we loathed rape and rape enablers more than the last poster did. Gimmie that torch and pitchfork.

Before we get our hopes up too high that Urbie’s coached his last game at osu, let’s take the facts of the osu situation out of the CFB arena and put them in the real world—say, in the business world. Let’s say that Urbie owns and manages a first-class CPA firm with a Fortune 500 company or two as clients. Let’s further say that he has a rising star CPA working for him who specializes in leveraged buyouts and picking over the bones of the acquired firm, starting with looting the employees’ pension fund. Reprehensible? Oh, yeah.

If the rising-star CPA actually beats his wife (which may be a question of fact not yet completely answered with any degree of certainty at osu) and if the police “investigate” and end up filing no charges, what do you think the chances are that Urbie has even one ounce of pressure to fire the guy? The incident did not involve the guy's work or his workplace; it would be considered completely a part of his private life. If no arrests or indictments arise therefrom, does anyone actually believe that the guy’s job would be in jeopardy—let alone Urbie’s?

Let’s further assume that Urbie’s incorporated, with a board of directors he answers to. What do you think the chances are that either Urbie or any member of the board would be even slightly motivated to fire a proven producer for a non-work related incident?

There’s a real world out there, folks. It ain’t always pretty and it ain’t always fair. Now feel free to get up on your moral high-horse and fire away; I’ll even hand you the torches and pitchforks. But, as much as I'd like to see it, Urbie ain't going anywhere.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 3

16 minutes ago, Sock Drawer said:

First, I hope Urbie gets canned, from both moralistic and Longhorn-centric points of view.

What I’m about to say is in no way intended to be a defense of either osu or Meyer, but rather is intended to introduce a different perspective into the discussion. We’ve spent a lot of the last 30 pages trying to one-up each other in our condemnation of domestic violence. Reminds me of the Rapelor thread—we just had to prove that we loathed rape and rape enablers more than the last poster did. Gimmie that torch and pitchfork.

Before we get our hopes up too high that Urbie’s coached his last game at osu, let’s take the facts of the osu situation out of the CFB arena and put them in the real world—say, in the business world. Let’s say that Urbie owns and manages a first-class CPA firm with a Fortune 500 company or two as clients. Let’s further say that he has a rising star CPA working for him who specializes in leveraged buyouts and picking over the bones of the acquired firm, starting with looting the employees’ pension fund. Reprehensible? Oh, yeah.

If the rising-star CPA actually beats his wife (which may be a question of fact not yet completely answered with any degree of certainty at osu) and if the police “investigate” and end up filing no charges, what do you think the chances are that Urbie has even one ounce of pressure to fire the guy? The incident did not involve the guy's work or his workplace; it would be considered completely a part of his private life. If no arrests or indictments arise therefrom, does anyone actually believe that the guy’s job would be in jeopardy—let alone Urbie’s?

Let’s further assume that Urbie’s incorporated, with a board of directors he answers to. What do you think the chances are that either Urbie or any member of the board would be even slightly motivated to fire a proven producer for a non-work related incident?

There’s a real world out there, folks. It ain’t always pretty and it ain’t always fair. Now feel free to get up on your moral high-horse and fire away; I’ll even hand you the torches and pitchforks. But, as much as I'd like to see it, Urbie ain't going anywhere.

Yeah but Urban doesn't work in a CPA firm. He works, and is probably the most well known public figure, at a public institution of higher education. He is in charge of ~100 18-22 year olds an for will be the main authority figure in their life for four years. 

Those nuances are what push me over the edge to think accepting/enabling domestic abuse is definitely a durable offense. 

• Like 1

First, I hope Urbie gets canned, from both moralistic and Longhorn-centric points of view. What I’m about to say is in no way intended to be a defense of either osu or Meyer, but rather is intended to introduce a different perspective into the discussion. We’ve spent a lot of the last 30 pages trying to one-up each other in our condemnation of domestic violence. Reminds me of the Rapelor thread—we just had to prove that we loathed rape and rape enablers more than the last poster did. Gimmie that torch and pitchfork.

Hard to disagree with that. And as noted, Urby is held to a higher standard than in your example. 

Which takes us back to the question, "Are the administrators willing to eat the shit they'll hafta eat if we keep them?"

Courtney's mom's revelation, on the surface, tips the balance a bit towards keeping him. But at this point, emotion rules. No new "fact" will get the torch and pitchfork crowd to go home. They want blood.

Similarly, the jersey/jorts defenders of Urban Meyer won't be disuaded by any new damning facts.

We will all have to decide for ourselves, individually. And chose to defend our choice. I have a "leaning" at this point as to what I want to happen. But I'll keep an open mind until the committee is done.

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

That's pretty messed up, you always say you have your kid's back in a domestic violence issue... #SheMustBeAdopted

How the Bucknuttians equate domestic violence to underachieving:

I don't think UM should be dragged into this, as far as I can remember, the program has been clean in spite of troubles at Penn State/ Michigan State/ Ohio State & Indiana...

36 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Hard to disagree with that. And as noted, Urby is held to a higher standard than in your example. 

Which takes us back to the question, "Are the administrators willing to eat the shit they'll hafta eat if we keep them?"

Courtney's mom's revelation, on the surface, tips the balance a bit towards keeping him. But at this point, emotion rules. No new "fact" will get the torch and pitchfork crowd to go home. They want blood.

Similarly, the jersey/jorts defenders of Urban Meyer won't be disuaded by any new damning facts.

We will all have to decide for ourselves, individually. And chose to defend our choice. I have a "leaning" at this point as to what I want to happen. But I'll keep an open mind until the committee is done.

buckeyes continue to think there are two sides to this story that allow morals not to be compromised. Urbs keeping him on staff after 2015 is the fireable offense.

Any other storyline is fanatic. 

1 hour ago, Sock Drawer said:

There are many cases where a domestic violence case is picked up by the department regardless of if the spouse files charges too...

1 hour ago, Sock Drawer said:

Does said CPA firm have a big sign on their wall saying one of their core values is respecting women?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Treefidy said:

Hmm, except for the small detail of text messages where she calls him out on his physical abuse, he admits it and apologizes.  Ya, except for that small detail this estranged mom story has legs.  

So now it's becoming common knowledge about his philandering, perhaps he was banging mom.  Ohio and al, if it were in Arkansas that would just be assumed..

yea strange that her "mom says" that she supports the son in law, but urby's wife says smith scares her and that Courtney needs to be careful about him

I think this whole "her mom says" could get ugly for tOSU when it comes out the mom is some type of alleged crack head, has some financial interest to protect, or is herself on the payroll of something to do with earl bruce

• Like 2

From the beginning of this sordid saga it was puzzling to hear reports of "her" family dissuading her from pressing charges and taking this to its logical legal terminus.  We've also been informed that people "close" to Courtney Smith counseled her to take into consideration the sizable financial loss that prosecution would entail.

Her mother sounds as nurturing and maternally nourishing as Anjelica Huston in The Grifters;  perhaps if Zach had beaten Courtney with a bag of oranges he wouldn't have left a mark.   This needs to absolutely be litigated in a court of law where the principals have to empty the bag or commit perjury.  Texts.  Pics.  Statements.  Police reports going back to 2009.  This is all about money and position and wins.  Don't kid yourself or be redirected by red herrings... everybody fucking knew. 

Edited by cafe society
  • Like 1

I don't know what happens here but I sure would prefer Meyer to stay coaching.  The stress from this fucked up bullshit will follow him around like a heat lamp and ultimately fuck the football team in the process.  If they fire him, he just gets to go away quietly.  He'll always be a hero in Ohio, more respected that Herbstriet.

23 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

I don't know what happens here but I sure would prefer Meyer to stay coaching.  The stress from this fucked up bullshit will follow him around like a heat lamp and ultimately fuck the football team in the process.  If they fire him, he just gets to go away quietly.  He'll always be a hero in Ohio, more respected that Herbstriet.

Like his being an enabler and scumbag followed him from UF to tOSU?  

As anyone who has ever been to a game in Columbus can attest, they are Shitbag fans with a coach who meshes with their personalities. 

the longer this drags on, and with as quiet as ohio state and urban meyer have been, i think they are keeping him. which is, imo, reprehensible, even though he wasn't the person allegedly abusing his spouse. he knew. we know he knew. you don't have to even prove it. this isn't a court of law. but they'll keep him, i think, because football, and that sucks.

Agree completely, and as much as I’d like to shame OSU for being morally bankrupt at the end of this, I fear a lot of programs would do the same thing in this situation. College sports have an extremely dark side that is allowed to persist because fans and administrations have too much pride and too much desperation to win.

6 hours ago, Sock Drawer said:

Preach, brother! However, this may be too sane and rational for this board.

19 minutes ago, Jack Wilson said:

Preach, brother! However, this may be too sane and rational for this board.

Give me a fucking break. 1st, sock fucked up by using private vs a public sector organization as a comparison - fail. Urbs is a State employee, likely the highest paid one. Fanaticism dictates moral corruption, which a Public employee should be held responsible for. Not firing the pos in 2015 is the fireable offense. Do not try and tell me that his boss did not let him fire the pos, Urban decided to keep him for 3 years and only fire him when he could not keep the news quiet. This after 9 years of abusive behavior to his wife. Go fuck yourself!

• Like 2

• bob in houston changed the title to Urban Meyer suspended first 3 games