Urban Meyer suspended first 3 games

Machinator

41 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

This was mentioned when the story broke on one of the tOSU sites, but it was Michelle Herman that was identified as the leaker.  Courtney Smith was the leaker, but any way to drag Herman into this to cast him as a bad guy is an interesting tactic for ol' Urbz.

BTW, Jeff Snook is Urban's personal propagandist and was the person who initiated the blame-and-discredit-the-victim campaign within the last week, including the stories about Courtney Smith's Mom.    This is all very targeted, all very manipulative, and all pretty fucking sick.

This is most likely correct. I don't think there's any shot in hell McMurphy would leak his source that tipped him off.

Who else would leak this..... Herman? What incentive does Herman have to leak this? 

This is likely Urban's camp playing spin doctor as much as I want the lulz here. 

Edited by texasstrong12

43 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Urban shouldn't have been making enemies with that shit in his closet. Urban made it a point to randomly call out Herman/Texas last year so my thoughts are "karma is a bitch". 

Oh shit!  Urban got too comfortable setting up shop in Texas and got cute with Herman so Tom burned him to the ground?

Two thoughts. very stupid of Urban to fuck with Herman if Herman knew his secrets. Hope Herman has no skeletons. 

42 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

This was mentioned when the story broke on one of the tOSU sites, but it was Michelle Herman that was identified as the leaker.  Courtney Smith was the leaker, but any way to drag Herman into this to cast him as a bad guy is an interesting tactic for ol' Urbz.

BTW, Jeff Snook is Urban's personal propagandist and was the person who initiated the blame-and-discredit-the-victim campaign within the last week, including the stories about Courtney Smith's Mom.    This is all very targeted, all very manipulative, and all pretty fucking sick.

Exactly this

Leak? This isn't the fucking Pentagon Papers. Courtney Smith publicly filed a protection order against Zach Smith on July 23, McMurphy asked about it the following week at media day which is when Urban himself caused the whole thing to mushroom by trying to stonewall it.

Maybe Herman and others gave him some valuable background, but the case is right there for everyone to see. Except the part about what OSU did in response to the 2015 police actions, which they still refuse to address.

I guess this is progress though, maybe some Bucks can stop blaming a domestic violence victim and shift their anger to a football coach.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, texifornia said:

tOSU boards calling Herman a "sore loser" - maybe try not having a wife beater on your staff, guys.

I honestly don't think they've ever considered that this all could have been avoided if Urban had chosen not to coverup spousal abuse.  It would have #1 been the right thing to do.  #2 It would have had negligible effect on the program.  Smith was not irreplaceable.  There was zero downside to doing the right thing.

But, no.  Blame everyone else including the battered wife and those that exposed the coverup.  Buncha mental cases.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, The Dude said:

What the fuck is a Jeff Snook

Who is Jeff Snook?

While McMurphy independently published the bombshell allegations against Smith on Facebook, Snook also used Facebook to report these explosive claims in defense of Smith. McMurphy was well-established as one of ESPN’s top college football reporters before he was laid off earlier this year.

Snook has published four books covering Ohio State football, including “What It Means to Be a Buckeye.” The foreword of that book was written by Urban Meyer, who opened by praising Earle Bruce, who died in April and is the grandfather of Zach Smith and father of Lynn Bruce

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Good for Tom on the legal fees.  Maybe if Courtney needs more help, Texas fans can publicly offer to pony up some money to help with additional expenses.  Public service is a good thing.  She needs all the help she can get.  She did not get any in Florida or Ohio.  

I was wondering what they are alleging in reporting that the Hermans are footing some of the legal fees for Mrs Smith More likely it's just a loan but what ever.

I guess they are impugning his MO but suggesting he is paying for dirt?

I was wondering what they are alleging in reporting that the Hermans are footing some of the legal fees for Mrs Smith More likely it's just a loan but what ever.
I guess they are impugning his MO but suggesting he is paying for dirt?
Regardless of motive, which I would think is to help a friend, I can't see how anyone sees it as a negative that's not a buckeye fan.

17 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

McMurphy coming in hot 

The full FB post:

The estranged mother of Courtney Smith confirmed to me on Saturday she sent text messages to Zach Smith detailing his repeated abuse against Courtney in 2014.

Tina Carano, Courtney’s mother, explained part of Zach’s abuse in that he “grabbed her around the neck to get away from her.”

On July 23, Zach Smith was fired as Ohio State’s wide receivers coach when I reported and uncovered his history of domestic violence allegations. On July 25, Ohio State launched an investigation into coach Urban Meyer’s handling of Smith, who was on Meyer’s staffs at Florida (2005-09) and Ohio State (2012-18) a total of 11 seasons.

Saturday morning, I called Carano and I immediately identified myself as a reporter. I asked if she had sent text messages to Zach about his repeated abuse of Courtney and asked her if she wanted me to send her those text messages. She did not ask to see the text messages.

“I can tell you this – when all this happened – I’m trying to be there as a mother,” Carano said Saturday. “I’m going to support her.”

I then asked Carano why she texted Zach to stop with the abuse when she claimed in a text message-only interview with Jeff Snook on Thursday that the domestic abuse allegations against Zach Smith were false.

“He hit her because of self defense,” Carano told me Saturday. “It’s not like he punched (her) or threw a punch at her. He was putting his hands against her throat and pushing her against a wall to get away. That’s all I’m going to say.”

She then ended the phone call.

In text messages I have obtained that Carano sent to Zach Smith in 2014, she indicates her disgust with Zach about his infidelity and continued abuse of Courtney.

May 26, 2014 text from Carano to Zach Smith
Carano: “U r a scum sucking pig! To lie about my daughter spending your money when u live in strip clubs!! How dare u!!! U will go down! I was the only person giving u the benefit of doubt! That validated what a liar u really are!! How can u sleep at night! Now I know why she goes off on you. She should have left you a long time ago.”

Oct. 26, 2014 text from Carano to Zach Smith
Carano: “Zach just so you know I have done everything to try to keep u two together. After this incident and now another woman u are looking up I have spoke to my attorney and I am financially going to give Courtney the money to file for divorce. U have no respect for her. She deserves better treatment.”

Nov. 4, 2014 text from Carano to Zach Smith
Carano: “Oh zach are u up to something? Why (do you) treat court so bad? U act like this when u are doing wrong! What’s up? Why do (you) keep pushing to loose your wife and kids? I’m giving her the money to file (for divorce) this isn’t fair to her. She deserves someone who loves her and respects her”

Nov. 6, 2014 text from Carano to Zach Smith
Carano: “Really Zach beating court because she found u cheating. She would never hurt herself. Why did u leave then? Because u know (you) will go to jail! U r a f---ing cheater! What is your deal?.”
Zach: “Jesus Christ”
Carano: “U left because u knew she was calling the cops”

Courtney Smith told me she has been estranged from her mother for about two months.

“I still love my mom, but I’m really hurt she has chosen not to support me during this difficult time,” Courtney said.

Meanwhile, Snook's take is that this is about losing Garrett Wilson to Ohio State.

Texas Coach Tom Herman, a former Ohio State assistant coach, tipped sports reporter Brett McMurphy to details of the Zach Smith-Courtney Carano Smith relationship that led to Smith’s firing, Urban Meyer’s paid-administrative leave and the investigation that has currently engulfed the Buckeyes’ program, several sources told me.
Furthermore, Tom and wife Michelle Herman encouraged Courtney Smith to go public with her claims that her ex-husband had physically abused her, sources say.
“They wanted Zach Smith fired,” one source said. “They had some dirt on him and wanted him off of Ohio State’s staff.”
The Hermans have even helped pay for Courtney Smith’s legal fees, two of my sources told me.
Tom Herman’s motive?
Herman was furious after five-star receiver Garrett Wilson committed to Ohio State in April over Texas, sources say. Wilson played at Austin (Texas) Lake Travis High, just miles from the Longhorns’ campus. Zach Smith was the Buckeyes’ primary recruiter in getting Wilson’s commitment.
Given that Texas is one of the most pressure-packed and highest-profile jobs in the country, and following a 7-6 season in his first year as Texas coach, Herman needs to secure a recruiting base close to home to turn the Longhorns around. And there were no bigger stars in his own city than Wilson.
Herman was hired by Meyer as the offensive coordinator when he accepted the job in December, 2011, along with Smith, Earle Bruce’s grandson, as receivers coach. The two assistants then became very close, but had a falling out after Herman left the Buckeyes following the 2014 national championship season to take the head coaching job at Houston.
“They had a bad falling out and now, they just do not like each other at all,” one source said.
Ironically, they developed into recruiting competitors, specifically for some of the best football talent in the state of Texas. And when Smith won the last head-to-head battle over Wilson’s future, Herman reacted.
More importantly, Michelle Herman and Courtney Smith remained close as their husbands coached at schools more than 1,200 miles apart.
“Best friends, still,” one source said. “They talk almost every day, even though the Hermans have been gone from Columbus for four years.”
Which led Courtney Smith to trust McMurphy, who spoke often with Herman in July, according to his twitter account. As a sports reporter with extensive experience covering college football, McMurphy has developed a close relationship with the second-year Texas coach, sources say.
Tipped by Herman to the 2009 incident in which Zach Smith was arrested in Gainesville, McMurphy then obtained court records and discovered Smith’s arrest. He then spent three days in Columbus and Powell, Ohio, where the Smiths live. There, he interviewed Courtney Smith and obtained text messages and cell phone pictures from her as she told of being physically abused by her then husband. The Smiths were married in 2008 when Zach Smith was a graduate assistant under Meyer at the University of Florida. 
Herman denied knowing any details about the Ohio State investigation, or the details that led up to it, as recently as August 2 when asked at a press conference in Austin.
Meyer and his wife Shelley Meyer recently became aware that Herman was the tipster who connected McMurphy to Courtney Smith.
Told by the university not to comment on anything to do with the investigation, Urban Meyer has remained silent since issuing a statement August 3. However, Shelley Meyer responded to a text message asking for comment. 
“I really do appreciate you doing your job with integrity and checking on all the points, unlike some others,” Shelley said, via text Saturday afternoon. “I just can’t comment and I am very sorry. Thank u.” 
So far, attempts to reach the Hermans have been unsuccessful. Tom Herman is currently in the middle of coaching the Longhorns during summer camp.

It's still conceivable that TH didn't know about this until well after he left.  Mrs Smith has already said that it was hidden from the staff until 2015 right?  Spousal abuse its often hidden from everyone, including friends and family.  If he was involved in blowing the whistle, there is no proof that he sat on the information for 3 years.  It's fully concievable that Mrs Smith finally decided to end her marriage and stop covering up for her abuser, knew this would be a shit storm and opened up to friends about what was coming in the media.

The fact that Urban felt so comfortable fucking with Herman says one of two things:

1 - Either Urban didn't think he was doing anything wrong in covering this up or that it would never get out.

or

2 - He had no fear of Herman because it was his understanding that Herman didn't know about any skeletons.

Edited by Lhorn

• bob in houston changed the title to Urban Meyer suspended first 3 games