2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

2 hours ago, rickyspub said:

Our sources have also given us some new intel on the latest bruhaha between Tom Herman and Urban Meyer. Chip Brown is reporting that while the source for Jeff Snook isn’t Tom or Michelle Herman, the information did come from Texas. The leaker was actually Todd Orlando. Chip’s sources in Vegas have been giving him solid odds that Todd Orlando, not Tom Herman, would be at the forefront of any search by Ohio State, if and when Urban Meyer is let go. Orlando may have leaked the information, but Tom Herman getting the blame certainly was no accident, according to Chip.

Fuck Chip Brown!

3 hours ago, rickyspub said:

Didn't see this posted yet from Bitchass Bobby Burton

Well Chip did just go from renting a shitty condo to buying a house on the 18th of Great Hills, perhaps that check from last December did just clear. That property tax bill is not going to pay itself.

TFB fall camp and scrimmage notes:

Fall Camp Notes | Sourced | August 10th

So, we had some of you ask questions in the previous post. When you’re getting sourced info it actually helps quite a bit to have specific questions. Please keep them coming.

I took some of your questions from the previous post and checked on them. We’ll try to continue to do that so that, as much as possible, our notes are in line with what you all are interested in.

***There were some questions regarding Kersetter after I mentioned a source saying that in the end it will likely be Calvin Anderson starting on the left and Okafor on the right. I was told very simply beyond the starters, what’s really important is having 8 or 9 guys who can actually play. Having the depth is critical and it sounds like the staff feels like they not only have more guys that can play but more guys with diverse skill sets who can play multiple positions. One of those guys, source added, is Kerstetter. So, there is a possibility that Kerstetter doesn’t start but he will be a valuable back up with that top group who they can plug in at four out of the five positions…LG, C, RG and RT.

***Also, there was a question about Brandon Jones’ development. It’s pretty well known that in the past, Jones struggled a bit picking up the scheme…where he’s supposed to be, etc. Source said that has changed, “Brandon’s problem was being in the right place. Not anymore. He’s actually become one of the most consistent guys in the secondary in all respects. He’s in the right place when he’s supposed to be there.”

***Question on PJ Locke. Was told essentially what you’d expect. He’s not going to wow you but he’ll get the job done, “Solid steady guy that should be the starter”.

***On Davante Davis source said, “He may not be a draft pick but he’ll be in someone’s camp as a priority free agent. His issue last year was tracking the ball and making plays on the ball. He can play the position. I just don’t know if he’s peaking as a player but he’s playing well”.

***To the point above, source added, “Kris Boyd, now that’s a player who is peaking right now”. There is a lot of excitement about how Boyd is playing in camp.

***I should add that the competition is getting tighter at cornerback. I’ve already mentioned that the staff likes how Cook is playing. I’ve also mentioned that sources have indicated the staff likes how Jalen Green is transitioning and the upside they see (though again, not ready just yet). But another guy I’m hearing more and more about is young Kobe Boyce. Was told he’s added weight and he’s playing with a lot more confidence. He’s the second fastest cornerback on the roster.

***Was also asked about Wilbon. Passsed that question on to a source who said, “He’s strong as *%^#. Look, Wilbon pushes grown ass men against their will. He might not be the twitchiest guy but he’s very stout. He’s gritty and you’re not gonna move him”.

***Just one additional note I’ll add. Practice is freakin intense. I help cover both Texas and OU for us. And the practice methods in terms of sheer violence and tackling coming from the defense on the Texas side don’t strike me as normal. The Herman/Orlando philosophy regarding protecting against injuries vs. hitting anything that moves in practice is a departure from what I’m used to with OU who are a lot more cautious.

But Texas seems to have ramped it up even more. I think that’s in part because the defense knows Orlando’s scheme better this year so they’re playing faster. But I think it’s also a functional of guys like Gary Johnson and Kris Boyd being who they are. They’re vocal leaders who just flat out love hitting people.

Fall Camp Scrimmage Notes | + Sourced Notes | August 11th

From Alex Briseno who was Herman’s post scrimmage presser for TFB:

***Freshman, Anthony Cook had an INT

***John Bonney had a fumble recovery for a touchdown

***Thankfully, there were no injuries to report.

***Ingram and Sterns were the only freshmen who received reps with the first team.

Super K note: You’ll recall that earlier this week we noted that per our sources, Ingram would surge up the depth chart. It looks like it happened sooner rather than later.

Via @Super K

So, related to the note above, I’ll add a couple sourced notes.

***Told that while the defense won, it wasn’t an obliteration…”decent showing” was the words used. I’ll work to get more details.

***Also, earlier in the week had heard that the staff was working to remedy the ball security issues through teaching…and a lot of extra running.

More from Alex Briseno…both post presser notes and sourced notes.

***The defense won the scrimmage after a pair of early turnovers.

***[Source] Shane Buechele threw a pick to Anthony Cook.

***[Source] Shane made up for his mistake by throwing a 30-yard ball across his body to Malcolm Epps on fourth down.

***[Source] Kyle Porter fumbled a hand-off while the offense was working out of the end zone. John Bonney pulled through with a scoop and score.

***[Source] Offensive Line Starters: Kerstetter, Rodriguez, Shackleford, Vahe but left tackle is still open.

***[Source] There weren’t any big runs over 15 yards that weren’t called back.

***As mentioned above, Keaontay Ingram ran with the ones along with Caden Sterns and DeMarvion Overshown as the only freshmen getting significant reps.

***Herman said Daniel Young’s visions has improved.

***“Daniel is the kind of guy, he doesn’t do anything that will wow you but he does everything really good. That’s really good. You’ll see a guy that is stronger than last year, break a few more tackles than he did last year. The biggest thing is he’s comfortable with back-to-back years in the same offense.”

***I asked Herman if he had any backs who will “wow” him.

Herman: “Keaontay has got some wow in him. He’s still got a lot to learn but he’s got some wow in him.”

***[Source] Ingram was decent but not spectacular. He had one clean run of 10+ yards, though.

***[Source] Rising played well with the third string but it was still apparent that the quarterback competition is a two-man race and it is still undecided.

***Herman firmly believes this team is three-deep at tight end.

***[Source] Theme of the day: a sputtering, sometimes disappointing offense and yet another solid performance from the Texas defense.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 2

And then some updated notes from TFB from August 12:

***I’m told that the starting offensive line in Saturday’s scrimmage from left to right was: Calvin Anderson, Patrick Vahe, Zach Shackelford, Elijah Rodriguez and Sam Cosmi.

Like I said, Cosmi has been impressive in fall camp.

***Anderson is as good as advertised.

***Yesterday, Alex Briseno mentioned from his source that Kyle Porter was responsible for one of the fumbles. I was told that Porter actually had two fumbles.

***More on Keontay Ingram and the offensive line. I continue to hear that Ingram’s feet and change of direction are fantastic. He just needs to take what’s there.

The offensive line is doing a better and better job…doing their job. Source described a situation in the scrimmage where the offensive line opened up a nice ole and a can of whoop ass on the defensive line. Ingram got happy feet and instead exploding through the hole, he tried to bounce it outside and wasn’t able to pick up much.

That’s something Keontay is going to figure out and when he does, it sounds like he has the burst to make a defense pay. But it also indicates that the offensive line is winning battles even though the production may not be there just yet.

It’s coming together, just have to let all the pieces continue to get some tuning.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Machinator said:

And then some updated notes from TFB from August 12:

Hide contents

***I’m told that the starting offensive line in Saturday’s scrimmage from left to right was: Calvin Anderson, Patrick Vahe, Zach Shackelford, Elijah Rodriguez and Sam Cosmi.

Like I said, Cosmi has been impressive in fall camp.

***Anderson is as good as advertised.

***Yesterday, Alex Briseno mentioned from his source that Kyle Porter was responsible for one of the fumbles. I was told that Porter actually had two fumbles.

***More on Keontay Ingram and the offensive line. I continue to hear that Ingram’s feet and change of direction are fantastic. He just needs to take what’s there.

The offensive line is doing a better and better job…doing their job. Source described a situation in the scrimmage where the offensive line opened up a nice ole and a can of whoop ass on the defensive line. Ingram got happy feet and instead exploding through the hole, he tried to bounce it outside and wasn’t able to pick up much.

That’s something Keontay is going to figure out and when he does, it sounds like he has the burst to make a defense pay. But it also indicates that the offensive line is winning battles even though the production may not be there just yet.

It’s coming together, just have to let all the pieces continue to get some tuning.

You're the man, Machinator.

Cosmi. The TEs, and Ingram. I like hearing those things.

24 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Seems like opinions of Anderson are all over the place. 

20 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Right? I'm just gunna choose to believe he's fine, he'll lead to an improvement over the Williams-less unit of last year, and let's just go. 

This is probably the best course of action.

25 minutes ago, ShowmeyourTDs said:

Are we running any 4 man defensive fronts during scrimmages?  I want to hear how the o- line looks with multiple looks by the defense.

I haven't seen anything in practice notes about them, but Herman mentioned using them in one of his press conferences.

I completely disagree with the notion that Davis won’t be drafted. The guy was looking like a high draft pick his freshman season. He’s got everything you want out of a zone style corner. He can even man up pretty well. He lost his confidence but his play picked up drastically towards the end of the 2017 season. If he can be consistent all season, he gets drafted off measurable alone.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Why are we practicing handing the ball off to Kyle Porter?

I thought the same thing, but on the flip side, Herman abhors TBs that can't control the rock, and that was one of the few selling points anyone could offer about Porter last year. The guy needs to stay 6th string and graduate quickly. 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Chip Brown and Bobby Burton have seen turnstiles that put up more resistance than Anderson, I'm told.

I've heard all along that Anderson was going to be fine as the opening game starter, but they weren't just going to throw him in there and create culture issues. He's looked good, not great, which is just fine. They're letting him earn the role in the team's eyes.

46 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

I completely disagree with the notion that Davis won’t be drafted. The guy was looking like a high draft pick his freshman season. He’s got everything you want out of a zone style corner. He can even man up pretty well. He lost his confidence but his play picked up drastically towards the end of the 2017 season. If he can be consistent all season, he gets drafted off measurable alone.

When a player is being sourced for info, their perspective isn't always going to line up with reality. They all know how services are viewing upperclassmen heading into a season, but their ability to grasp development in real time, or how transient preseason draft rankings are, is suspect.

1 hour ago, Bevo VIII said:

Ingram will be a freshmen all American and will be starting by game 3-4

I hope Ingram is a bad ass and makes us all forget Kyle Porter 2017, but Daniel Young is an excellent back to have starting in this offense. If Ingram comes on, Carter controls the football, and Johnson somehow stays healthy, along with Watson and Young looking good, the optionality in the backfield for this season will be absurd compared to what we were dealing with last season. Good problems to have.

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I've heard all along that Anderson was going to be fine as the opening game starter, but they weren't just going to throw him in there and create culture issues. He's looked good, not great, which is just fine. They're letting him earn the role in the team's eyes.

The Cosmi hype: is it for real, or is he still a year away (my personal view)?

19 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The Cosmi hype: is it for real, or is he still a year away (my personal view)?

No clue from my end. I'm pretty much from Missouri regarding everything on offense, even if I was hearing a bunch of hype for players/units. We still have 3 terrible components to the offensive staff in Warehime, Meh, and Beck (as a playcaller). The OL was the worst OL I think I've ever seen. We beat the shit out of our QBs and Ehlinger is one of the dumbest decisionmakers I've ever watched. Our WRs are like the children of an alcoholic parent - they never know what's coming at them next from the position coach and they can't even predict who will regularly start. The TEs are an absolute unproven commodity and I have zero faith in Anthony Beck making a material difference in any facet. I won't believe that we've figured TB out until I fail to see Kyle Porter take meaningful snaps for multiple games in a row. So outside of wanting to be hopeful and hearing positive, believable takes on Anderson, I don't have much regarding the O. 

• Like 2

IT scrimmage notes

SCRIMMAGE NOTES

We'll start by answering a very subjective question from the board the other day. That question was, if last year the defense was an 8 and the offense a three, what is it as of now?

First, neither is in mid-season form, so who knows what they'll ultimately become. What we heard back was, the defense is a 7-8 and offense is a 5-6. Based on what I've heard from practice and scrimmages that's also what I would have guessed it to be and this sort of played out in the scrimmage.

The defense put it on the offense in the first half. The offense flat out didn't look ready. Herman said as much, we heard as much. 

After a break that served as the scrimmage's halftime, the offense fared much better, though it was spotted field position. The offense did move the ball and scored some. How they moved the ball was of interest to me. With yards on the ground tougher to come by, the quarterbacks had some success through the air, mainly on quick passes to Lil'Jordan Humphrey and back shoulder passes to Collin Johnson. That had me thinking when was the last time I heard of Texas executing a back shoulder pass. 

QB 

The quarterbacks looked okay, nothing special, but serviceable. Neither stood out from the other. The offense is handicapped some because it isn't running Ehlinger. Any yards he "picks up" are through improvsation and then there's a quick whistle. It was encouraging to hear about red zone execution and efficiency in the quick passing game.

I believe each threw a touchdown in the red zone. It sounds like Ehlinger's ball security is better than last year, that circles back to our reporting that he feels more comfortable with the speed of the game and the playbook.

The QBs were also said to make audibles at times as defensive looks necessitated. This was praised by the coaching staff.

As we've stated, the quarterbacks will make a leap just by making the right decisions. They seem to be progressing here.

RB

We continue to hear rave reviews from Keaontay Ingram. Positive expletives are followed by "smooth" and "going to be trouble for the Big 12." Ingram is playing to his eval, and his ability to make people miss is turning heads. 6-foot running backs typically don't have the ability to make defenders miss in the phone booth but he's doing that thanks to lateral agility. He had a few nice runs on Saturday but also impresses by getting three on runs that should be stopped at the line of scrimmage. He's far and away the best natural runner on the roster. Whether he starts versus Maryland, which is possible, boils down to mental preparedness.

We did hear some positives on Daniel Young as well, but not nearly to the degree of Ingram. He's a load and quick to get downhill. If he has a crease he's going to use leg drive to push defenders but he isn't dynamic.

WR 

LJH threatens the whole field and Collin is having a great camp on the other side of him. We mentioned how each helped unlock the red zone. Duvernay is also coming on and taking advantage of space. The rotation behind them is still up in the air. Davion Curtis worked some with the ones at Duvernay's Z. Jordan Pouncey is another name we heard from Saturday. We also heard Jamison shows great quickness receiving and running it. He could provide some spice to the bread and butter running/passing game. 

TE

In the scrimmage they did more insert blocking and more combo blocking. Andrew Beck is the best blocker of the group. Brewer is noticeably bigger an moving pretty well. These guys are game blockers but not difference makers in that role. Reese Leitao was mentioned as being a similar fit to Beck and Brewer. I didn't hear much about them as receivers.

OL 

We're hearing about a lot of run game variations. It seems there are a lot more looks than last year. I'm still trying to figure all that out, but for now, there were some interesting developments...

It finally happened. You know I'm rigid to my high school evals, and it finally happened. Derek Kerstetter took the bulk of the snaps at center with the ones and took them with the twos as well. As you can imagine, this created a domino effect. I'll just break down what I heard about each guy.

Calvin Anderson looked good. He looked real good if Breckyn Hager and Charles Omenihu are as good as we think they are. This was the most praise I've received thus far. I heard, "he may not be first team All Conference or an early round pick, but he's above average." It's clear he's adjusting to the jump in speed and competition.

Denzel Okafor worked at both left (2nd team) and right tackle (1st team). Sam Cosmi worked at right tackle (2nd team). JP Urquidez worked at right tackle (2nd team). I actually think Okafor is a minor downgrade from Kerstetter at right tackle, but it still may serve the best five better.

One bystander who knows the position well said, "Kerstetter looks like an NFL center. He's definitely quicker and more athletic than Shackelford." It seems like the run game was focused almost entirely on running inside, though a big reason to try Kerstetter at center may be to improve mobility at the position as a puller. Last week they repped a lot of pin and pull and depending on how the defense is aligned the center pulls. 

Shackelford repped at right guard along with Tope Imade. Imade continues to ascend. I didn't hear a peep about Elijah Rodriguez but that's probably because he's much more of a known. 

Left guard was manned by the Patricks, Vahe and Hudson. This prompted the source from above to say, "the most physical grouping was Hudson-Kerstetter-Imade." I asked who they went up against. "Whether it was Wilbon or Nelson they [the defensive tackles] were fighting for their life and just trying to make a pile." 

To add a bit of clarity from Saturday, the most likely two deep from the scrimmage: 1st: Anderson-Vahe-Kerstetter-Shackelford-Okafor. 2nd: Okafor-Hudson-Kerstetter-Imade-Cosmi. That's not to say that is the current two deep.

Some interesting developments to say the least.

#######

Overall the defense kept things pretty basic. They did run a lot of Lightning but didn't blitz all that much.

DL

Malcolm Roach played some with his hand in the ground and he was giving the tight ends fits. He's hard to move around. Hager and Omenihu were steady but I didn't hear about them creating as much pressure as normal. 

Ta'Quon Graham continued to play defensive end with Gerald Wilbon the second team interior defensive lineman. Marqez Bimage wasn't at practice -- not sure why -- but I don't think it's anything to worry about. That may explain Roach getting those reps now that I think about it.

LB 

Gary Johnson played in the first part of the scrimmage and was the same old Gary. Roach and Anthony Wheeler also worked at Mac, as did Ayodele Adeoye before he tweaked his knee. 

I've mentioned Joseph Ossai had a good scrimmage. He still has a lot of technical things to iron out but he's active and athletic. With Roach playing Mac and B, and Jeffrey McCulloch out, Ossai got a lot of reps.

DB

Brandon Jones was the constant, he never left the field.

Caden Sterns rotated with Chris Brown at boundary safety but it's effectively Sterns' job. 

PJ Locke repped at boundary safety too, but he was first team nickel. Josh Thompson was behind him. Locke seems destined for the web redemption versus Maryland. 

DeMarvion Overshown was the Joker before he tweaked his knee. Second team Joker appears to be BJ Foster.

The corners were Kris Boyd and Kobe Boyce with Davante Davis nursing his hamstring.

Jalen Green blew one bystander away with his easy athleticism, though over-aggression got him beat a time or two. No worries. His only peer athletically is Boyd. 

I didn't hear much on Anthony Cook but we pretty know what he is at this point.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No clue from my end. I'm pretty much from Missouri regarding everything on offense, even if I was hearing a bunch of hype for players/units. We still have 3 terrible components to the offensive staff in Warehime, Meh, and Beck (as a playcaller). The OL was the worst OL I think I've ever seen. We beat the shit out of our QBs and Ehlinger is one of the dumbest decisionmakers I've ever watched. Our WRs are like the children of an alcoholic parent - they never know what's coming at them next from the position coach and they can't even predict who will regularly start. The TEs are an absolute unproven commodity and I have zero faith in Anthony Beck making a material difference in any facet. I won't believe that we've figured TB out until I fail to see Kyle Porter take meaningful snaps for multiple games in a row. So outside of wanting to be hopeful and hearing positive, believable takes on Anderson, I don't have much regarding the O. 

Yeah, but enough sunshine. What are the negatives aspects of the offense that you're worried about?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT scrimmage notes

Reveal hidden contents

SCRIMMAGE NOTES

We'll start by answering a very subjective question from the board the other day. That question was, if last year the defense was an 8 and the offense a three, what is it as of now?

First, neither is in mid-season form, so who knows what they'll ultimately become. What we heard back was, the defense is a 7-8 and offense is a 5-6. Based on what I've heard from practice and scrimmages that's also what I would have guessed it to be and this sort of played out in the scrimmage.

The defense put it on the offense in the first half. The offense flat out didn't look ready. Herman said as much, we heard as much. 

After a break that served as the scrimmage's halftime, the offense fared much better, though it was spotted field position. The offense did move the ball and scored some. How they moved the ball was of interest to me. With yards on the ground tougher to come by, the quarterbacks had some success through the air, mainly on quick passes to Lil'Jordan Humphrey and back shoulder passes to Collin Johnson. That had me thinking when was the last time I heard of Texas executing a back shoulder pass. 

QB 

The quarterbacks looked okay, nothing special, but serviceable. Neither stood out from the other. The offense is handicapped some because it isn't running Ehlinger. Any yards he "picks up" are through improvsation and then there's a quick whistle. It was encouraging to hear about red zone execution and efficiency in the quick passing game.

I believe each threw a touchdown in the red zone. It sounds like Ehlinger's ball security is better than last year, that circles back to our reporting that he feels more comfortable with the speed of the game and the playbook.

The QBs were also said to make audibles at times as defensive looks necessitated. This was praised by the coaching staff.

As we've stated, the quarterbacks will make a leap just by making the right decisions. They seem to be progressing here.

RB

We continue to hear rave reviews from Keaontay Ingram. Positive expletives are followed by "smooth" and "going to be trouble for the Big 12." Ingram is playing to his eval, and his ability to make people miss is turning heads. 6-foot running backs typically don't have the ability to make defenders miss in the phone booth but he's doing that thanks to lateral agility. He had a few nice runs on Saturday but also impresses by getting three on runs that should be stopped at the line of scrimmage. He's far and away the best natural runner on the roster. Whether he starts versus Maryland, which is possible, boils down to mental preparedness.

We did hear some positives on Daniel Young as well, but not nearly to the degree of Ingram. He's a load and quick to get downhill. If he has a crease he's going to use leg drive to push defenders but he isn't dynamic.

WR 

LJH threatens the whole field and Collin is having a great camp on the other side of him. We mentioned how each helped unlock the red zone. Duvernay is also coming on and taking advantage of space. The rotation behind them is still up in the air. Davion Curtis worked some with the ones at Duvernay's Z. Jordan Pouncey is another name we heard from Saturday. We also heard Jamison shows great quickness receiving and running it. He could provide some spice to the bread and butter running/passing game. 

TE

In the scrimmage they did more insert blocking and more combo blocking. Andrew Beck is the best blocker of the group. Brewer is noticeably bigger an moving pretty well. These guys are game blockers but not difference makers in that role. Reese Leitao was mentioned as being a similar fit to Beck and Brewer. I didn't hear much about them as receivers.

OL 

We're hearing about a lot of run game variations. It seems there are a lot more looks than last year. I'm still trying to figure all that out, but for now, there were some interesting developments...

It finally happened. You know I'm rigid to my high school evals, and it finally happened. Derek Kerstetter took the bulk of the snaps at center with the ones and took them with the twos as well. As you can imagine, this created a domino effect. I'll just break down what I heard about each guy.

Calvin Anderson looked good. He looked real good if Breckyn Hager and Charles Omenihu are as good as we think they are. This was the most praise I've received thus far. I heard, "he may not be first team All Conference or an early round pick, but he's above average." It's clear he's adjusting to the jump in speed and competition.

Denzel Okafor worked at both left (2nd team) and right tackle (1st team). Sam Cosmi worked at right tackle (2nd team). JP Urquidez worked at right tackle (2nd team). I actually think Okafor is a minor downgrade from Kerstetter at right tackle, but it still may serve the best five better.

One bystander who knows the position well said, "Kerstetter looks like an NFL center. He's definitely quicker and more athletic than Shackelford." It seems like the run game was focused almost entirely on running inside, though a big reason to try Kerstetter at center may be to improve mobility at the position as a puller. Last week they repped a lot of pin and pull and depending on how the defense is aligned the center pulls. 

Shackelford repped at right guard along with Tope Imade. Imade continues to ascend. I didn't hear a peep about Elijah Rodriguez but that's probably because he's much more of a known. 

Left guard was manned by the Patricks, Vahe and Hudson. This prompted the source from above to say, "the most physical grouping was Hudson-Kerstetter-Imade." I asked who they went up against. "Whether it was Wilbon or Nelson they [the defensive tackles] were fighting for their life and just trying to make a pile." 

To add a bit of clarity from Saturday, the most likely two deep from the scrimmage: 1st: Anderson-Vahe-Kerstetter-Shackelford-Okafor. 2nd: Okafor-Hudson-Kerstetter-Imade-Cosmi. That's not to say that is the current two deep.

Some interesting developments to say the least.

#######

Overall the defense kept things pretty basic. They did run a lot of Lightning but didn't blitz all that much.

DL

Malcolm Roach played some with his hand in the ground and he was giving the tight ends fits. He's hard to move around. Hager and Omenihu were steady but I didn't hear about them creating as much pressure as normal. 

Ta'Quon Graham continued to play defensive end with Gerald Wilbon the second team interior defensive lineman. Marqez Bimage wasn't at practice -- not sure why -- but I don't think it's anything to worry about. That may explain Roach getting those reps now that I think about it.

LB 

Gary Johnson played in the first part of the scrimmage and was the same old Gary. Roach and Anthony Wheeler also worked at Mac, as did Ayodele Adeoye before he tweaked his knee. 

I've mentioned Joseph Ossai had a good scrimmage. He still has a lot of technical things to iron out but he's active and athletic. With Roach playing Mac and B, and Jeffrey McCulloch out, Ossai got a lot of reps.

DB

Brandon Jones was the constant, he never left the field.

Caden Sterns rotated with Chris Brown at boundary safety but it's effectively Sterns' job. 

PJ Locke repped at boundary safety too, but he was first team nickel. Josh Thompson was behind him. Locke seems destined for the web redemption versus Maryland. 

DeMarvion Overshown was the Joker before he tweaked his knee. Second team Joker appears to be BJ Foster.

The corners were Kris Boyd and Kobe Boyce with Davante Davis nursing his hamstring.

Jalen Green blew one bystander away with his easy athleticism, though over-aggression got him beat a time or two. No worries. His only peer athletically is Boyd. 

I didn't hear much on Anthony Cook but we pretty know what he is at this point.

Kerstetter at 1st team center sounds big.