2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

27 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Im thinking we should call the Tulsa game the Red Shirt bowl. And only play freshmen and others that arent in the 2 deep just as soon as we get up by 3 scores. Or sooner. 

It’s probably just PTSD due to the last 8 seasons, but I don’t view Tulsa as a straight gimme. They had a bad year last year due to injuries, youth, and close losses. They’ve been a good G5 program and they bring plenty back. I hope we beat them by 50 and play everyone, but I won’t be shocked if the game is uncomfortable for a while.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It’s probably just PTSD due to the last 8 seasons, but I don’t view Tulsa as a straight gimme. They had a bad year last year due to injuries, youth, and close losses. They’ve been a good G5 program and they bring plenty back. I hope we beat them by 50 and play everyone, but I won’t be shocked if the game is uncomfortable for a while.

This, Tulsa does not give me the warm and fuzzies the way an Idaho or New Mexico would.

Just get those badass safeties healthy and play dime. If the DL and single LB can wreck enough shit up front and allow the DBs to get to the ball untouched we will be great. That's what Orlando's defense was anyway, speed on defense and as few DL/LB as possible to stop the run. 

I don't think Tulsa will be very good. They are picked to finish last in the American and their defense is likely going to be one of the worst in the country. 

Connely's outlook seems about right for Tulsa: 

"I should forego making any sort of prediction for Tulsa, I realize, but here goes nothing.

Montgomery’s Golden Hurricane are projected 108th overall — 46th on offense and 126th on defense. That is sensible; the offense has been Montgomery’s strength and returns a ton of pieces, while the albatross defense has to replace a majority of its known play-makers.

Given that projection, the 2018 schedule looks brutal: Tulsa is the projected favorite in only three games and gets an average win total of 4.1. But if the defense rebounds to 2016 levels, the projected win total pretty quickly increases.

We’ll know what we need to know by Week 3, I think. That’s when Arkansas State comes to town. The Red Wolves are projected 66th in S&P+ and are therefore picked to win by about eight. If Tulsa is eight points worse than ASU at home, doom is on the way. But if the Golden Hurricane can win that one, it will buy them some time and space until the schedule eases up later on."

53 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They made Ohio State uncomfortable for a awhile a couple of years ago 

1 hour ago, NorLa Horns said:

Im thinking we should call the Tulsa game the Red Shirt bowl. And only play freshmen and others that arent in the 2 deep just as soon as we get up by 3 scores. Or sooner. 

I don't think you go into that game using guys who you're hoping to play for four games then redshirt; save them for when injuries mount up later in the season, and use the guys who you won't redshirt and the other backups if the game gets out of hand. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Suzanne Halliburton is less informed than the majority of this board. I’m guessing she got her news on this one by reviewing the print version of all of the box scores from last season. She did that over a nice cup of black coffee and a bran muffin, for fiber.

lol I wonder what her forced resignation err... pension package looks like

On 8/14/2018 at 8:58 AM, taybo20 said:

Again, to us it isn’t meaningless. We are double digit favorites. We are expected to crush them. The rest of cab won’t think twice. If we don’t, that’s when it is a bigger deal, and not just for us. 

And that's fair.

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Suzanne Halliburton is less informed than the majority of this board. I’m guessing she got her news on this one by reviewing the print version of all of the box scores from last season. She did that over a nice cup of black coffee and a bran muffin, for fiber.

Hopefully that was an Irish coffee.