2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

While I get the disgruntlement for the few 3 yard outs on 3rd and 5, let’s not forget how badass of a run Greg Davis run offenses had for the bulk of his tenure.

Played for 2 NC’s in his 13 years at UT. VY had a 30-2 record. Colt was 45-8. The 2005 NC team averaged 50.2 ppg and 512.1 ypg. For six consecutive years his offenses averaged more than 6 yards per play. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, TtomTerrific said:

Halliburton, Bohls and Lyttle are still pulling paychecks out of that building?

Is this 1988?

Don't leave off Cedric..... When he asks questions at Hermanator's Press Conferences, it sounds like "Ol Ced " just woke up from his Nap....

😴💤💤💤💤💤

Btw......FCB

Edited by LTtxfan

29 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Oh my. I see it now. 

The Kyle Porter screen and the Malcolm Epps reverse (run consecutively to the boundary) will find their way into the playbook. 

Maybe we can keep a slow tight end in 4 wide sets as well to “fool” the defense

1 hour ago, pearlandhorn said:

We have come full circle.  And that circle is fucked.

"This is a world where nothing is solved. Someone once told me, time is a flat circle. Everything we’ve ever done or will do, we’re gonna do over and over and over again."

--Rust Cohle

Alright, Alright, Alright

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The 2008 OU game was my favorite game to attend ever (no, I wasn't at the Rose Bowls). It was such a glorious victory over those fuckers. The feeling of almost pure sports fan euphoria was incredible. In fact it was so intoxicating that I remember standing there as the game ended and actually thinking "Holy shit, Greg Davis might have finally figured this shit out." I seriously thought we were about to embark on another decade long stretch of dominance with Muschamp there and Davis having figured things out. The way he used the available pieces that day and attacked Oklahoma's weaknesses was a gotdamn masterpiece. Even as an avowed optimist I have never been that excited about the long-term program possibilities before or since. Even after winning the national championship I knew the future was uncertain because VY would be leaving. But leaving the Cotton Bowl that day was just pure excitement. So I definitely thank Greg Davis for that day and that feeling.

Then he fucked it up. The end.

i was right there with you

i even remember you posting these comments on GD right after (??) not sure

Vahe reminds me of Charlie, we all want him to be good and have success but...let's hope the light comes on this fall.
He's good at blocking what we're supposed to be best at. If everyone else can run block competently, the entire pass blocking scheme immediately improves...

Thus, Herb Hand.

50 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The 2008 OU game was my favorite game to attend ever (no, I wasn't at the Rose Bowls). It was such a glorious victory over those fuckers. The feeling of almost pure sports fan euphoria was incredible. In fact it was so intoxicating that I remember standing there as the game ended and actually thinking "Holy shit, Greg Davis might have finally figured this shit out." I seriously thought we were about to embark on another decade long stretch of dominance with Muschamp there and Davis having figured things out. The way he used the available pieces that day and attacked Oklahoma's weaknesses was a gotdamn masterpiece. Even as an avowed optimist I have never been that excited about the long-term program possibilities before or since. Even after winning the national championship I knew the future was uncertain because VY would be leaving. But leaving the Cotton Bowl that day was just pure excitement. So I definitely thank Greg Davis for that day and that feeling.

Then he fucked it up. The end.

GD brilliantly put Jordan Shipley into the "flex TE/slot" and had him run crossing routes against that 2nd team OU MLB all day long. They couldn't stop it 

17 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

GD brilliantly put Jordan Shipley into the "flex TE/slot" and had him run crossing routes against that 2nd team OU MLB all day long. They couldn't stop it 

They couldn't stop it before Reynold's went out either.  I just want to clarify that shit, because OU always seems to want to place an asterisk due to that injury. 

• Like 1

While I get the disgruntlement for the few 3 yard outs on 3rd and 5, let’s not forget how badass of a run Greg Davis run offenses had for the bulk of his tenure.
Played for 2 NC’s in his 13 years at UT. VY had a 30-2 record. Colt was 45-8. The 2005 NC team averaged 50.2 ppg and 512.1 ypg. For six consecutive years his offenses averaged more than 6 yards per play. 

Advantages for Greg Davis:

Mostly had Top 10 special teams
Mostly had Top 25ish defenses
From 1998-2006 enjoyed a measurable talent advantage in 75% of games played
Tim Brewster closing Vince Young
Freakish accuracy and moxy of Colt
Badass in Will Muschamp, adding toughness

Output of Greg Davis:

Beat the snot out of lesser opponents
Underperformed other top offenses when facing good or better defenses (exceptions in 2005 and 2008)
Recruited 1 1st round offensive lineman in 13 years (initially recruited by Mackovic)
No 1st round picks on offense from 2007-2011
Exposed in 2010
Left the cupboard bare, extending pain even now as Strong and Herman find few redshirted veterans (Strong had to play true frosh)

24 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Only a mastermind like Greg Davis could think to exploit OU’s weakness with the best WR in Texas history.

Kinda like his second years of high output offense coincided with generational talents at QB, and NFL players littering the skill positions. 

Somehow, that didn’t follow him to Iowa. 

Keep in mind that the design of Greg Davis offense (per Mack’s orders) was to be as conservative as possible. They really cut down on penalties, negative plays and turnovers. I once compared him to Mackovic’s era, and they halved those negative plays.

The problem is that good defenses could really cause problems especially early on in games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This time last year we were trotting out Nickelson, McMillan, and Garrett Gray as starters against Maryland on offense.  No way can be worse this go around right?

Pretty sure last year we lost to Maryland because the defense got anal aids. The offense scored enough points to win that game last year.

Pretty sure last year we lost to Maryland because the defense got anal aids. The offense scored enough points to win that game last year.
Yeah, people forget we didn't have a pretty good defense until game 3 (maybe game 2 but the opponent wasn't good enough to tell).

I rewatched the Maryland game over the weekend. There were a few busted coverages and Naashon was playing instead of Johnson/Nelson playing end instead of Hager waaaaay too much. I think the correct personnel has finally been figured out and we should be much better on defense against them this year.

Offensively, they moved the ball well. They just hit no-man's-land (30 to 40 yard line) and stalled several times, and didn't have a field goal kicker that instilled any confidence. Herman started going for it on 4th down too much and our run blocking was god awful in those situations, seemingly all year. Really hope that's a small, significant difference this year, because we could have scored 60 damn points on Maryland last year.

19 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Offense scored 41 points last year with a shitty o-line. I feel pretty good with what we have going into our first game, more mature O-Line, QB, Receivers and RB's.

Defense gave up 51 points and I don't think they will shit the bed THAT bad again.

Actually no. Holton Hill and the defense scored a few TD’s for us if I recall correctly. 

19 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Offense scored 41 points last year with a shitty o-line. I feel pretty good with what we have going into our first game, more mature O-Line, QB, Receivers and RB's.

Defense gave up 51 points and I don't think they will shit the bed THAT bad again.

Honest question: Did you watch the game? Off the top of my head, I think there were 3 defense/special teams scores.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Pretty misleading. Holton Hill scored two TD's and Hemphill had a PR touchdown. The offense COULD have scored 6 TD's but they failed on fourth down conversions like four times.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ShowmeyourTDs said:

It’s a damn shame that we get a pick six on Maryland’s third play from scrimmage.  I thought we were going to roll.  It’s time for redemption.

Those first two defensive drives were such a high. Malik made Piggy shit his pants on that one scramble, too. And then all went to hell. She quit mid-best-blowjob-ever.

45 minutes ago, Modessit said:
2 hours ago, Red Five said:
Halliburton used to post on that old gobig12 board. She wasn’t very knowledgeable.

I delivered a package to her house. She needs to attend to her potted plants better, too.

This is sexual innuendo, yes?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Y'all are on the ball.

No shit, I waited to get back to my desk to post the same sentiments about people clearly not watching the game to find 4 other guys beat me to it. Well done, gents. 

Our offense in that game looked like hammered fucking dogshit for more than 2 and a half quarters of that game. Honestly it looked like dogshit almost all of the game. 

24 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Not of that changes the fact the defense gave up 51 points. 

I completely wiped that game from my memory

The point was we have a better o-line, qb and offense overall than what we trotted out week 1 and I don't think the defense will completely shit the bed again. 

They weren’t good. They also scored 21 points aside from the offense. So, while we’re if’n and but’n We could point out that the offense still needed to score another 10 to tie the game, because 3 defensive/special teams scores are pretty rare. 

The only redeeming thing about that game was watching Herman’s post game presser after he realized  that he’d been huffing his own gas for a couple of years.