2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

47 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Greg Davis derails anything he is associated with

... but much like his offense, he provides some of the most successful and prolific discussions in Surly history.  All he needs is a few transcendent posters and a lack of meddling from thin skinned head moderators.

29 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

I took that to mean that GD was admitting that he didn't actually coach VY. Everything positive accomplished once they 'took the reigns off' was all VY and GD just sat there eating his animal crackers.

I sweater gawd that one day I will review the 2005 season to chart just how often our offense was VY totally and completely improvising ok the field. That happens everywhere, but the extent to which that offense relied on Vince scrambling cannnot be understated. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I sweater gawd that one day I will review the 2005 season to chart just how often our offense was VY totally and completely improvising ok the field. That happens everywhere, but the extent to which that offense relied on Vince scrambling cannnot be understated. 

I have a feeling it won't be as often as you think it is

2 hours ago, Thiefery said:

So Bobby Burton didn't have anything against Charlie?  LOL, I'll never forget Twitter burning once he and Jeff Howe were saying Charlie low balled Gilbert in terms of money so HE could pocket the rest ...

Don't ever recall reading that. 

First it was DJ.  Then it was Daje.  Last year, CJ.

Who will be this year's offensive disappearing act?  The talented youngster who shows a load of skill, causes jaws to drop, cheers of excitement and wonder and then POOF!  He disappears from the field, rarely to be seen again for the rest of the season. 

The causes of disappearance vary, depending on who's reporting it or repeating the tall tales of the mysterious disappearing wunderkind.  Some say it's punishment for off-field wrongdoing, failing to remember plays and assignments.  Others chalk it up to good old fashioned coaching malfeasance.

But one thing is for near certain: There will be a disappearance.  The only question now is who...

2 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Actually Vince did not run that much in 2005. He really only lit it up in two games: against Oklahoma State and USC.

26 minutes ago, Ben Ficus said:

First it was DJ.  Then it was Daje.  Last year, CJ.

Who will be this year's offensive disappearing act?  The talented youngster who shows a load of skill, causes jaws to drop, cheers of excitement and wonder and then POOF!  He disappears from the field, rarely to be seen again for the rest of the season. 

The causes of disappearance vary, depending on who's reporting it or repeating the tall tales of the mysterious disappearing wunderkind.  Some say it's punishment for off-field wrongdoing, failing to remember plays and assignments.  Others chalk it up to good old fashioned coaching malfeasance.

But one thing is for near certain: There will be a disappearance.  The only question now is who...

Why would trends carry over between coaching staffs? That makes no sense.

Or are you saying this is something that happens in College Football generally?

Edited by Valmy77

IT team notes

The best news this week is there were no significant injuries. So far Texas has only been lightly nibbled on by the injury bug -- hopefully it stays that way.

Caden Sterns has had a mild shoulder issue that's put him on the sideline a day or two throughout camp but it's minor.

Ayodele Adeoye should be back for Tulsa in the second week. DeMarvion Overshown likely won't be back until late September/early October. As far as we know, besides those two, everyone should be good to go for Maryland.

To preserve his team, this week wasn't quite as intense as previous weeks. Herman said it was to guard against monotony, but we think he's also trying to keep the team fresh.

Quarterback

We've checked with multiple people multiple times and this quarterback competition is indeed heating up. To be clear, neither is setting the world on fire, but they have improved and are running neck and neck. We think it will eventually play out with Ehlinger as the starter, but he didn't have a very good week. He's making too many mental mistakes while Buechele is limiting his. Buechele is making quicker reads and he's thrown some absolutely beautiful passes. He ran with the ones a ton this week. It certainly helps that he isn't banged up and isn't allowed to be hit, but he's making this competition interesting.

Running Back

Tre Watson returned and looks to have a second gear, but he also looked timid at times and wasn't hitting the hole like the other backs. I was told he was dancing too much. Perhaps he was just tentative as he acclimates to playing full speed.

We heard more positives on Keaontay Ingram. That's becoming routine. You probably saw he had his 'newcomer' stripe removed. If they think he's mentally ready he may start versus Maryland. He's proving he's the best option on the field.

Daniel Young continues to be mentioned as solid but he's not the talent Ingram is. We haven't heard anything on Toneil Carter, which probably isn't a good sign.

Ingram and Young would be a good one-two punch.

Wide Receiver

Collin Johnson, Lil'Jordan Humphrey, and Devin Duvernay are entrenched as starters so the intrigue lies with the next wave of receivers that will play.

This week Davion Curtis ran with the 1s and 2s. Curtis is proving to be a reliable target in the quick game. He's plenty fast and his hands are solid. I have to be honest, I'm happy to hear about a quick game and it's probably another reason Buechele is making a run at being the opening day starter.

Jerrod Heard is having a very quiet camp. His hands are fine but he's just not getting open. He and Curtis are competing for snaps. Each can play inside and outside.

I asked about D'shawn Jamison and Josh Moore. Jamison looks like he's going to play pretty early and if he doesn't it's not because of ability. They're running him on sweeps, screens and trying to work him in the soft zones that Reggie Hemphill-Mapps exploited. Moore is having a solid/good camp. He's showing speed and does his job. Good start for him. Slot options appear to be materializing with these two.

Jordan Pouncey and John Burt are also having quiet camps. The Floridians are not without ability, we're just hearing others before them. Burt has been in a walking boot this week and is day to day.

Tight End

Same old same old. Andrew Beck and Cade Brewer are 1A and 1B at the position. They aren't showing to be great blockers, but they are above average, they battle, and are good fits for the offense.

Still hearing Reese Leitao needs to become stronger and more physical.

Offensive Line

We heard a great deal about this grouping after last Saturday's scrimmage. A lot of younger players were getting reps and vying to earn the staff's trust. Even if you don't start you want to be in the top 7 or 8.

Predicted starters for Maryland are....drum roll please....Anderson-Vahe-Shackelford-Rodriguez-Kerstetter. So, yeah, not much changed even after having players rotate positions and younger players getting a chance.

Kerstetter did work at center some this week and had some struggles. He's the back-up.

Tope Imade is having a strong camp and is in the top 7-8. Rodriguez will be on a short leash. Imade is giant and strong.

Denzel Okafor probably shouldn't be at tackle. He's still making the same errors in pass protection he was making last year. It's too bad because he's become a solid run blocker.

Sam Cosmi is having a better August camp than he did spring and is better in pass protection than Okafor and a decent run blocker in his own right.

Patrick Hudson is second team guard and has worked on the left and right side. Good camp, he's just not quite there yet and has seniors in front of him.

I would venture that Imade, Okafor, Cosmi, and Hudson will all play this year, so Herb Hand could actually go to 9 as of now. That's a huge improvement over last year.

Defensive Line

I asked who the best non-starter defensive line player was and heard back Ta'Quon Graham. Not surprising.

The best freshman defensive lineman has been Moro Ojomo. He continues to make a few plays every practice.

I'm still expecting more four-man fronts versus Maryland.

Linebacker

Anthony Wheeler and Malcolm Roach are having a spirited battle at Mac. Wheeler makes less mistakes, Roach is more talented. Roach does have the full playbook at his disposal. He plays better than he practices so there's some excitement to see him line up versus Maryland.

Obviously if Roach is at Mac he can't be the B-backer. That's opened the door for Joseph Ossai who may start. He's filled out some in his short time on campus while keeping his movement skills. He's mentally mature as well. He's not as technically sound as he needs to be but can make plays with effort and athleticism.

Herman said Jeffrey McCulloch will be back for Maryland. That's big for depth and he may actually play in the nickel package or at B-backer.

Secondary

Davante Davis should return to practice next week. In his place has been Kobe Boyce. Boyce has been solid but he isn't yet to Davis' level.

PJ Locke is the 1st team nickel. That motivated the staff to have Josh Thompson work at corner some to ensure depth.

Anthony Cook has been Anthony Cook, which is good, but we heard our first unsolicited tidbits on Jalen Green this week. The dog's beginning to bite. Aside Kris Boyd he's the best athlete in the secondary.

With DeMarvion Overshown out, BJ Foster is the Joker in the dime package, though I don't know how much dime we'll see in the first week. Versus Tulsa should be an entirely different story. Foster also works at safety.

######

From reading that you can tell where there's some uncertainty on the depth chart. This week the staff circled back to younger players to give them a chance to demonstrate they're mentally prepared to play. Tomorrow will be their proving ground.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Actually Vince did not run that much in 2005. He really only lit it up in two games: against Oklahoma State and USC.

Uh, he ran the ball 12 fewer times  for 29 fewer yards and 2 less TD’s than he did in 2004. And he accumulated the majority of those yards in three games versus 4 in 2004. 

Its not just about totals. Volume is one thing. Frequency, meaning how often did he get us out of a jam by just moving the chains is another. Or how often did he scramble around on a pass play and hit and uncovered receiver is another.

And lastly, significance can’t be overstated. As in it’s 4th down inside the opponent’s 10 yard line, time is running out, your trying for the go ahead TD in the MNC game and the OC’s call is....”repeat play” after having just thrown an incompletion into triple coverage. 

Look, improv happens for every school, and every OC looks better when it’s pulled off. I get that. But I would submit that Vince saved GD’s bacon repeatedly by Vince Younging more than people remember. Again, I need to go chart it one day, because stat lines don’t spell it out. 

Lettuce know when you do 

25 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

I was hoping for better news on Okafor.  

If we don't put him at tackle, amazing to think he's not a better option than one of the starting guards listed.  

We had some good discussion about him here:

I just don't see him as a true tackle. He can get us through a game if the worst happens, but we're in big trouble if he's a full time starter at RT.

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Is what he really said much better? Did Beathard really have a chance to be the best he ever coached? I mean maybe if you think it was possible for the guy to add 3 inches, increase his speed by an order of magnitude, his agility by two orders of magnitude, his field vision, and his playmaking ability a thousand percent.

Let's keep in mind that Beathard went on to rush for NEGATIVE THIRTEEN YARDS his senior season. Oh, and Young was a better passer, too.

yes, talking about how your current QB that is playing for you right now has a chance to be the best he has ever coached is much better/different than saying he is the best he has ever coached.

To his credit (and, keep in mind, this is pretty much the only thing I'll credit him with), Davis more or less eventually realized that. He talked about breaking down film with Vince, and asking VY what he would call on 4th & 5 with the game on the line. "QB Draw" quoth Young. Davis told him, no, we're calling a pass. If the run is there, we both know you're going to take it anyway.

Blind squirrel, meet your one and only golden acorn.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Uh, he ran the ball 12 fewer times  for 29 fewer yards and 2 less TD’s than he did in 2004. And he accumulated the majority of those yards in three games versus 4 in 2004. 

Its not just about totals. Volume is one thing. Frequency, meaning how often did he get us out of a jam by just moving the chains is another. Or how often did he scramble around on a pass play and hit and uncovered receiver is another.

And lastly, significance can’t be overstated. As in it’s 4th down inside the opponent’s 10 yard line, time is running out, your trying for the go ahead TD in the MNC game and the OC’s call is....”repeat play” after having just thrown an incompletion into triple coverage. 

Look, improv happens for every school, and every OC looks better when it’s pulled off. I get that. But I would submit that Vince saved GD’s bacon repeatedly by Vince Younging more than people remember. Again, I need to go chart it one day, because stat lines don’t spell it out. 

Repeat? Wasn’t the last play called with the option to have VY run if nothing was there? Now, Vince didn’t look very hard for a WR that last play but it was still an option lol

1 hour ago, BERT said:

Repeat? Wasn’t the last play called with the option to have VY run if nothing was there? Now, Vince didn’t look very hard for a WR that last play but it was still an option lol

Walden answered your question. It was the exact same play. Now, there’s some validity to that given that the defense will probably have a different call. There’s also the fact that any scouting of our offense would reveal that tendency. 

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

To his credit (and, keep in mind, this is pretty much the only thing I'll credit him with), Davis more or less eventually realized that. He talked about breaking down film with Vince, and asking VY what he would call on 4th & 5 with the game on the line. "QB Draw" quoth Young. Davis told him, no, we're calling a pass. If the run is there, we both know you're going to take it anyway.

Blind squirrel, meet your one and only golden acorn.

Must be nice to have that get out of jail free card in your back pocket as a playcaller. 

And I’ll credit GD here with this. The growth exhibited by young as a passer and in defensive recognition  is a star in his crown. My complaint isn’t with his preparation of his charges or usually even his scripting. It’s when he’s left to own devices to call plays.

Meh, two more weeks and we’ll have something more substantial than second hand practice reports to fight over.