2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

4 hours ago, 6th Street said:

He looked awful in the spring game. Like walk on level bad. How the hell was he a 4 star? 

Purely based on size and self-generated hype. He was pitiful in high school, where the competition was weaker. And I wouldn’t bad mouth the kid if he’d been a positive contributor or a team player. He was neither. Again, I hope that’s changed. 

5 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Ah yes - I rmr the irrational hate now

It’s not irrational. I know the kid. He’s a front-running douche who has never, ever been a decent football player. Of course all of that could change, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. 

He’s tall and he got a football scholarship to Texas, so good for him. 

2 hours ago, Chili dog said:

Purely based on size and self-generated hype. He was pitiful in high school, where the competition was weaker. And I wouldn’t bad mouth the kid if he’d been a positive contributor or a team player. He was neither. Again, I hope that’s changed. 

Just went back and watched his Senior HUDL because I was curious. I mean, it's just highlights so you can't tell all that much, but his technique and footwork looked downright AWFUL. He seemed to move reasonably well most of the time with OK athleticism, but not on the level of someone like Hudson or Tyler Johnson.

Maybe there's some potential there - I'm obviously not a scout or coach and can't look at anything except the HUDL film - but I would have to agree with the people wondering how the hell he got four stars. I would really love to be wrong, but him ever contributing seems like a really uphill battle. 

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

It’s not irrational. I know the kid. He’s a front-running douche who has never, ever been a decent football player. Of course all of that could change, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. 

He’s tall and he got a football scholarship to Texas, so good for him. 

He seems like the type of "four star" Mack would have offered to get an early commit and not have to any real evaluating.

• Like 1

Jerrod Heard - poor camp (as a receiver) 

I may not have read far enough yet, but is Heard having a camp as something else? PR/KR maybe? What did I miss?
You missed something alright..

You missed the fact Bobby Burton is a Chip Brown loving regard. Heard is now going into his 3rd full year as a receiver, and for the first time since he's been on the 40 not even listed as a reserve QB in an emergency since we have 4 scholly QB's and a couple walk-ons as well. I have no idea what Bobby meant by that, and I doubt Heard is having a poor camp...just not standing out versus others is my guess.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, maninblack said:

On what fucking planet did Shaggy have a "good" offseason

Its simply referred to as 'the dead planet'. Its location is stated to be in a barred-spiral galaxy on the Cepheus-Draco border which is about 14 lightyears away from our sun, as stated by Sally Solomon.

Edited by TexasTroll
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Anything at all from Maryland fall camp?  Injuries?  Who's running 1st team QB?

Maryland has a graduate transfer named Tre Watson who's been showing out in camp. Couldn't make this shit up if I tried.

He plays LB, though.

No idea on the QBs. The general feeling among UMD fans before this whole shitstorm was that this was going to be one of the more talented Maryland squads they've seen in a while.

Edited by Machinator

22 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Around the 2:20 mark, Orlando was asked about injuries, and gave a very roundabout answer. Not sure how to decipher it.

As I understood when he asked he said yes there were injuries and then quickly backtracked and said on defense no injuries I'm not allowed to talk about the other side.

There's no way someone can have a comprehensive idea of how every scholarship player is doing in camp. Best case scenario is you have an idea of how a dozen or two are doing specifically 

Sure you can. Just read Surly and make your determination from that. It’s basically how his ratings ended up anyway. Don’t even need to watch the player or talk to anyone. Efficiency!

Scrimmage Sourced Notes (UPDATED 2:21 PM)By: Super KPosted on: August 18, 2018

Alex and I will add more as we get them. Here’s a few to start.

***Offense won today! Yes, you heard that right.

***I’m told Boyce started at CB in place of Davis who is still out.

***I’m told D’Shawn Jamison took a jet sweep 70 yards. Told he actually scored twice today.

***Starting OL from left to right was m: Anderson, Vahe, Shackleford, Rodriguez and Cosmi

***Sounds like Buechele had a great day moving the ball, moving the chains. Waiting to hear on the other QBs

***No interceptions were thrown today!

UPDATE (12:36 PM)

***Looks like the top three running back rotation was Tre Watson and Kirk Johnson at the top followed by Keontay Ingram with Daniel Young in that 4th spot. I think those are going to be your top 4.

***Heard from multiple sources that the running backs had a great day.

***One source said Tre and Kirk were the two best of the scrimmage and added Kirk is definitely a top 3 back if he’s healthy.

***Interestingly, another source seemed to really like Keontay Ingram. Either way, again, it sounds like those three are your top three in some order.

UPDATE (2:21 PM)

***Another sourced added that Jamison had a really nice day in the slot…mentioned the jet sweeps.

***But source said that Joshua Moore was also really good in the slot. Said, unlike Jamison, Moore is a better pure receiver/route runner. No surprise there. I’m going to check but they may have moved Heard outside. Again, let me check that.

***Also was told Cam Rishing looked really good today. Source said, “He stayed in the pocket instead of taking off and running. Was going through his read, even getting to second and third reads and then delivering”

• Like 1