2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

8 hours ago, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

Obviously off-topic, but both countries invaded and dismembered Poland together in September 1939.

Not off-topic at all, since 1939 connects us to the only non-fictional Aggy championship season.* They'll be celebrating the achievement, along with their championship trophy that they've already presented to Jimbo, with this commemorative jersey.

AGGIE_CHAMPS.jpg 

*They also claim to have won national championships in 1927 and 1919, although no one outside of the Station can understand why. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

For folks that are critical of TEXAS injuries during Fall Camp...

BAMA's has multiple LB injuries too....

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24410576/christopher-allen-alabama-crimson-tide-linebacker-probably-season-knee-injury

TEXAS fans can relate to this quote:

"Alabama fans might feel some level of déjà vu, considering the rash of injuries at linebacker last season, when Lewis, Jennings, Miller and Mack Wilson all missed significant time.

Saban said that at this point, the defense can't afford many more injuries. "

Edited by LTtxfan

12 hours ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Has there been any updates on the punting?  I don’t think I’ve read anything. 

Yes, I read in TFB yesterday that the “punter” would kick a bomb pretty then kick a bomb ugly. Much like his cousins first year. So not consistent but when he connects it’s prettu 

43 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

Yes, I read in TFB yesterday that the “punter” would kick a bomb pretty then kick a bomb ugly. Much like his cousins first year. So not consistent but when he connects it’s prettu 

look, all we expect is 50-60 yards routinely and enough touch to pin teams inside the 10. 

• Like 3

On 8/13/2018 at 1:15 PM, BigHorn'13 said:

Yeah first weak ass response by CDC but whatever, still happy to have him. He should know though that the LHN broadcast has mics but the youtube ones do not. I'm not sure they do online either. As to the post practices, I get that it's more difficult but something can be arranged to capture the 10 or so people huddled in a small space. 

Just want to point out that this has gotten better since I said this... Kuddos to Bianco or whomever was responsible for the improvement. 

11 hours ago, Chili dog said:

Yeah, I know the coaches and faculty who were at cove while he was there. Some are still there. I played with some, in fact. Not many flattering things to say. I don’t care if a kid sucks. I care about his attitude. I wouldn’t be shocked to learn he’s more humble at Texas, where he may very well be the worst player on the team. I’m pretty sure Wickline stopped calling him once he met him and realized he was a fraud. I thought we dodged a bullet when Baylor took him. Alas... 

I am going on the record and stating that I do care if our players suck. Even if they have a grrrrrreat attitude. 

3 hours ago, okiehorn said:

Mack is back around he was always the kicker whisperer here. 

2 hours ago, PatSolitanojr said:

I am going on the record and stating that I do care if our players suck. Even if they have a grrrrrreat attitude. 

I don’t want our players to suck either. I was just saying I’m not going to dog a kid for being a bad football player if he’s actually doing what coaches ask and being a good teammate. His inability to do so in high school made me doubtful he’d be any better in college. That’s what infuriated me about our offering him. From what I understand, that’s also why TexPete’s “irrational” dislike for the kid was actually pretty rational to me. 

Edited by Chili dog
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, TexasTroll said:

The o line has been below average for 3 fucking years

hes been lucky to get a first read.

if the Oline improves so will his play.

SB needs more than 1 second from his oline.

but hey

Sure. any other quarterback can play behind a bad oline and still have stellar numbers.

if the oline can give SB time to play to his strengths he will do fine.

So sick of this shit. You know busted assignments are a regular part of most plays. Shane is not a good QB because he has no awareness, pocket presence or scrambling ability. The need for those traits doesn’t go away if you have a great OL. I do not understand why people defend him so much. Because he had one decent game against a 4-8 Notre Dame team?  He’s the antithesis of a gamer. I hope he does not play meaningful snaps because if he does we aren’t winning shit. 

52 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

So sick of this shit. You know busted assignments are a regular part of most plays. Shane is not a good QB because he has no awareness, pocket presence or scrambling ability. The need for those traits doesn’t go away if you have a great OL. I do not understand why people defend him so much. Because he had one decent game against a 4-8 Notre Dame team?  He’s the antithesis of a gamer. I hope he does not play meaningful snaps because if he does we aren’t winning shit. 

Mark the tape.

So many mixed reports on who should be starting QB verses Maryland..... Guess folks on Chat Boards gonna beat this one to death....

Why Sam should start??

Why Shane should start??

Seems like a "Cause célèbre "

Give me good O-Line play with limited turnovers for TEXAS..... and regardless of starting QB verses Maryland.....Final Score prediction is....

HORNS 38

Maryland 17

Edited by LTtxfan

The unfortunate thing is we don’t have 1 standout QB... so both guys are gonna play it looks like. And that just isn’t a recipe for success usually. A team is more predictable with 2 QBs because when that respective guy goes in, the play calls are usually his strength. Because logically you wouldn’t call his weak plays. Of course the opposing defense knows this and adjusts accordingly.

We are coming up on a decade of not having a star at QB that we can trust in. It really sucks. I hope our offense finds magic this year tho

26 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

The unfortunate thing is we don’t have 1 standout QB... so both guys are gonna play it looks like. And that just isn’t a recipe for success usually. A team is more predictable with 2 QBs because when that respective guy goes in, the play calls are usually his strength. Because logically you wouldn’t call his weak plays. Of course the opposing defense knows this and adjusts accordingly.

We are coming up on a decade of not having a star at QB that we can trust in. It really sucks. I hope our offense finds magic this year tho

By mid-season when Shane has broken ribs and Sam is concussed, Cam Rising will come in and ball out.  Maybe we finally get lucky and get a big strong armed David Ash clone without a jelly head.  

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

I kind of like having two relatively reliable QBs who, even though as of now neither one is Colt McCoy, there shouldn't be that much difference between them, quality-wise. Herman's system relies on the QB run and QB's get dinged up running--always have, always will--so it's nice to have a similar replacement with a better overall upside than the Colt-Garrett dropoff waiting in the wings. 

48 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

If there was one thing that Mack was good at on game days it was special teams play AFTER THE NC STATE DISASTER. We had some badass punt coverage guys and they knew how to block punts. Ask the UTEP punter about Malcolm Williams.

FIFY

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, taybo20 said:

Hang in there.....  maybe 2018 TEXAS FB Season proves your fears wrong.

With SAM & SHANE.... I still see a path to the Big 12 Championship Game for  the 2018 LONGHORNS FOOTBALL TEAM

Edited by LTtxfan

31 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Hang in there.....  maybe 2018 TEXAS FB Season proves your fears wrong.

With SAM & SHANE.... I still see a path to the Big 12 Championship Game for  the 2018 LONGHORNS FOOTBALL TEAM

Is this like an online template where you fill in the blanks with all caps words?

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

So many mixed reports on who should be starting QB verses Maryland..... Guess folks on Chat Boards gonna beat this one to death....

Why Sam should start??

Why Shane should start??

Seems like a "Cause célèbre "

Give me good O-Line play with limited turnovers for TEXAS..... and regardless of starting QB verses Maryland.....Final Score prediction is....

HORNS 38

Maryland 17

bold statement 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

With the new redshirt rule, the travel squad roster updates will be particularly interesting. 

I would play all of the freshmen in the final 4 home games. 

We play some pretty salty teams in the final 4 home games . TCU, ISU, and WVU. All three should be pretty close games. 

1 hour ago, taybo20 said:

Beck has grown into the OC job. This season he's only going to be calling each guy's touchdown plays when they're playing. He won't call the self-sack play, the horrible INT play, and the incomprehensible play-call play.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

Beck has grown into the OC job. This season he's only going to be calling each guy's touchdown plays when they're playing. He won't call the self-sack play, the horrible INT play, and the incomprehensible play-call play.

i-can-fap-to-this-gif-13.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1