2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

43 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Y'all are gonna have a field day with Bobby's writeup this morning

Hide contents

I don't talk about recruiting all that much at this time of year.

However, when a young player has a game like Jake Smith did on Friday night, it's worth discussion.

Smith, playing primarily out of the slot, scored five touchdowns and totaled 230 yards of offense in his first game as a senior. It was a game where he didn't play much in the second half.

The bluest of blue chips are the ones who show up in games, from a season's start to its finish. Smith, a Longhorn commitment, is certainly on his way of earning that tag IMO.

Read more about Smith's game and his recruitment in the profile our EJ Holland posted this morning. And, if you like to watch defensive backs with little chance of success, make sure you watch the videos, too.

I was told that Gary Johnson had the best day of all defensive players on Saturday.

Not a big surprise given that Breckyn Hager only played the first series.

One thing that was concerning to at least one source was the Horns' lack of pass rush in the absence of Hager.

The pass rush wasn't non-existent, but it certainly wasn't overwhelming either.

Of course, that could easily be seen as a sign that the Texas OL is actually improving. But this source didn't necessarily think that was the case.

The thought is that the Horns have to find another elite rusher, someone besides Hager, who can get to the QB. Right now, they're doing it by committee without a true second pass rusher.

What do I make of Shane Buechele getting more looks with the 1s recently than Sam Ehlinger?

I think the QB race is up for grabs, and I think it's leaning the way of Buechele, at least currently. Buechele is earning that.

Look, I wouldn't have guessed this was the case back in the spring. But until Ehlinger takes that next step and can successfully throw the ball downfield, Buechele is going to keep getting a look.

But I'd also ask everyone to consider this.

Facts are, no matter who the QB (Ehlinger or Buechele), neither of them will be considered the strength of the team.

So, it boils down to which of the two QBs gives the offense a better chance to make plays and score? And what kind of offense does Texas want to be?

If it's strictly a ball-control type, then Ehlinger may be better suited, simply because he can often pick up first-down yardage with his feet that Buechele just can't.

At the same time, if the strength of the offense is its receivers, then getting the ball to them takes precedent.

I don't know which way the Texas coaches are going to go, in part because as of Sunday they hadn't made that decision.

But anyone who thinks Ehlinger remains a shoe-in to start against Maryland hasn't been keeping up with what's going on in practice.

The most worrisome aspect of Saturday's entire scrimmage?

I'm told it was the place-kicking.

Returnee Josh Rowland looked the worst. But the problem is that no one looked particularly good.

If the Horns don't have a reliable field goal kicker this season, that is going to be a huge disappointment, and ultimately very costly IMO.

Two things in there are already proven just wrong lol

These guys are full of shit. All of them. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, Atlas is closed. I wouldnt try to find a chapter bar, personally. Christian’s Tailgate is always a solid sports bar option. But if youre looking to stay in Pearland no fucking clue. 

Little Woodrow's in Midtown appears to be the new Houston Chapter Watch Party spot. 

Atlas sucked and Little Woodrow's isn't much better. I'm fairly certain the Houston Chapter Leadership is picking bars based on a 2007 Zagat's Guide to Houston. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Y'all are gonna have a field day with Bobby's writeup this morning

Reveal hidden contents

I don't talk about recruiting all that much at this time of year.

However, when a young player has a game like Jake Smith did on Friday night, it's worth discussion.

Smith, playing primarily out of the slot, scored five touchdowns and totaled 230 yards of offense in his first game as a senior. It was a game where he didn't play much in the second half.

The bluest of blue chips are the ones who show up in games, from a season's start to its finish. Smith, a Longhorn commitment, is certainly on his way of earning that tag IMO.

Read more about Smith's game and his recruitment in the profile our EJ Holland posted this morning. And, if you like to watch defensive backs with little chance of success, make sure you watch the videos, too.

I was told that Gary Johnson had the best day of all defensive players on Saturday.

Not a big surprise given that Breckyn Hager only played the first series.

One thing that was concerning to at least one source was the Horns' lack of pass rush in the absence of Hager.

The pass rush wasn't non-existent, but it certainly wasn't overwhelming either.

Of course, that could easily be seen as a sign that the Texas OL is actually improving. But this source didn't necessarily think that was the case.

The thought is that the Horns have to find another elite rusher, someone besides Hager, who can get to the QB. Right now, they're doing it by committee without a true second pass rusher.

What do I make of Shane Buechele getting more looks with the 1s recently than Sam Ehlinger?

I think the QB race is up for grabs, and I think it's leaning the way of Buechele, at least currently. Buechele is earning that.

Look, I wouldn't have guessed this was the case back in the spring. But until Ehlinger takes that next step and can successfully throw the ball downfield, Buechele is going to keep getting a look.

But I'd also ask everyone to consider this.

Facts are, no matter who the QB (Ehlinger or Buechele), neither of them will be considered the strength of the team.

So, it boils down to which of the two QBs gives the offense a better chance to make plays and score? And what kind of offense does Texas want to be?

If it's strictly a ball-control type, then Ehlinger may be better suited, simply because he can often pick up first-down yardage with his feet that Buechele just can't.

At the same time, if the strength of the offense is its receivers, then getting the ball to them takes precedent.

I don't know which way the Texas coaches are going to go, in part because as of Sunday they hadn't made that decision.

But anyone who thinks Ehlinger remains a shoe-in to start against Maryland hasn't been keeping up with what's going on in practice.

The most worrisome aspect of Saturday's entire scrimmage?

I'm told it was the place-kicking.

Returnee Josh Rowland looked the worst. But the problem is that no one looked particularly good.

If the Horns don't have a reliable field goal kicker this season, that is going to be a huge disappointment, and ultimately very costly IMO.

Two things in there are already proven just wrong lol

It's shocking how bad Burton has gotten. Not that he was ever good, but man alive he's completely in the dark on team news. Your average Surly poster knows more about the team. 

But what do I know? Burton is rich as hell and lives i Nashville; he must have done something right. 

It's shocking how bad Burton has gotten. Not that he was ever good, but man alive he's completely in the dark on team news. Your average Surly poster knows more about the team. 
But what do I know? Burton is rich as hell and lives i Nashville; he must have done something right. 

Is living in Nashville a sign of wealth?

9 minutes ago, TtomTerrific said:

I don't follow recruiting like y'all, outside of checking this thread a few times a week, so, I really don't know, but does Jake Smith have a shot at a 5th Star?

Imagine if he actually got to play after halftime. 

Well, if you're checking the fall practice thread for recruiting info, I can see why you don't know much about what's happening on that front.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

I can’t believe we can’t find a FG kicker

Quick question, how many scholarship placekickers does it take to hit routine field goals? Apparently, the answer isn't two. 

Rowland was better towards the end of the year. Redshirting kickers is just dumb, if Dicker can give the team something on kick off he needs to play. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

You based that opinion on Burton’s completely made up report? It’s just as likely we have Morten Anderson on our team. 

I don't give a shit what Bobby Bitchass says, but the fact that Rowland is not particularly good and Herman says there's no separation between him and Dicker right now tells me that the placekicking game is more likely than not to be serviceable at best.

And yes, I know Herman can coach-speak with the best of them, but it would be strange for him to choose to be candid about many of the other position battles in today's presser and coy about kicking.

18 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Herman touched on the redshirt rules today, he said the redshirts will play later in the year. The final 4 homes, or the 3 home games and the bowl game is my best guess. 

Unless they're needed for emergency depth, I assume none of the redshirts will make the travel squad. 

Save bodies for the end of the year. Makes sense. Injuries suspension etc will always happen as the year goes on. 

Just now, Machinator said:

I don't give a shit what Bobby Bitchass says, but the fact that Rowland is not particularly good and Herman says there's no separation between him and Dicker right now tells me that the placekicking game is more likely than not to be serviceable at best.

And yes, I know Herman can coach-speak with the best of them, but it would be strange for him to choose to be candid about many of the other position battles in today's presser and coy about kicking.

That's it, I returning my Dicker the Kicker t-shirt. 

• Like 1

Serviceable is light years better than what we had last year

Little Woodrow's in Midtown appears to be the new Houston Chapter Watch Party spot. 
Atlas sucked and Little Woodrow's isn't much better. I'm fairly certain the Houston Chapter Leadership is picking bars based on a 2007 Zagat's Guide to Houston. 

Atlas reminded me of one of those old shitty shot bars on dirty 6th. Place was awful.
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, TtomTerrific said:

I don't follow recruiting like y'all, outside of checking this thread a few times a week, so, I really don't know, but does Jake Smith have a shot at a 5th Star?

Imagine if he actually got to play after halftime. 

You mean like, retroactively, after having won the CFP Final MVP 2 years in a row as a sophomore and Jr? 

Wonder if Orlando wanted Herman to not answer questions today on how TEXAS plans to fill LB spots verses Maryland??

Gotta believe Maryland will isolate and test the True Freshmen Ossai and Foster.... 
QUESTION: 
Anybody know how to access video clips of Coaches Cuts of TEXAS Defense in 2017..... Really interested in watching how Orlando mixes the LB's, Rover, Joker & Safeties responsibilities during last half of 2017 Season....

33 minutes ago, Machinator said:

But wasn't Rowlands problem last year that he could nail field goals left and right during practice but once the lights came on he choked?

Edited by Not a Sock

6 hours ago, irishtexan said:

How fucking difficult is it to find a kicker? Despite all of Mack’s faults, that motherfucker always found someone with brass balls to reliably kick less than 45 yards away. We got spoiled in that department. And perhaps only that department.

Why are you paying attention to a Burton article with a couple of already proven made up bits?

Wait til the season starts and you actually see some kicking incompetence to complain at least.

7 hours ago, irishtexan said:

How fucking difficult is it to find a kicker? Despite all of Mack’s faults, that motherfucker always found someone with brass balls to reliably kick less than 45 yards away. We got spoiled in that department. And perhaps only that department.

Even Saban has had issues in this department.

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I laughed. LotusHorn is definitely a sock. 

Nah. He’s a dude who had access when Muschamp was here. Now he just parrots the mod reports and throws some nebulous conjecture in, and rubes are so desperate for info that they lap it up. 

He claims to have played ball with Bedford and to be an NFL scout. I watched him argue that Case McCoy had a strong arm once upon a time so I find the scout bit dubious at best. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, irishtexan said:

so basically we know Charlie Strong couldn't find a kicker.

8 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I mean, we had the 1st-team all-american QB 3 times in a 5-year span. We were spoiled in a lot of ways. But you're right regarding kickers.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Why are you paying attention to a Burton article with a couple of already proven made up bits?

Wait til the season starts and you actually see some kicking incompetence to complain at least.

I'm complaining about the lack of kicking since Justin Tucker left, except for one decent season of Anthony Fera. The shitty Burton article just reminded me of it. 

Anyone who has info on what Sports Psychology tools TEXAS uses, please share.  Sure seems like SAM might benefit from this type of training and improve his in-game results during 2018.

Also wonder what type of support and Counseling tools are available for players on Team...... providing mental health support is so important for the pressures athletes face today....

Found it interesting that part of the Success of incoming Texas Freshman Golfer sensation Cole Hammer is attributed to spending time with "mental coach Bob Rotella".