2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

49 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Anyone who has info on what Sports Psychology tools TEXAS uses, please share.  Sure seems like SAM might benefit from this type of training and improve his in-game results during 2018.

Also wonder what type of support and Counseling tools are available for players on Team...... providing mental health support is so important for the pressures athletes face today....

Found it interesting that part of the Success of incoming Texas Freshman Golfer sensation Cole Hammer is attributed to spending time with "mental coach Bob Rotella".

The football team uses Dr. Carlton Maxwell.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, irishtexan said:

How fucking difficult is it to find a kicker? Despite all of Mack’s faults, that motherfucker always found someone with brass balls to reliably kick less than 45 yards away. We got spoiled in that department. And perhaps only that department.

We also had a nice run of 1K yard rushers. From 2008-2017, only Foreman's 2K Doak Walker award season in 2016 has Texas had a 1K rusher.

44 minutes ago, Rockwell Torrey said:

Charlie Strong used Matt Foley.  I imagine this guy is an upgrade.

Sheeeeeeit! Chris Farley in his present state playing Matt Foley would have done a better job than whoever Charlie used.

284203-tdy-120723-casket-rentals.fit-760

Edited by Tex Pete

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

I am surprised that if you cover sports you would at least care a little about your health and body. How insecure it must be to write about weights and 40 times while being a fat slob that sweats when you ea. 

lolololol

This post makes me wonder if you've never seen a sports journalist in your entire life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can't believe I'm saying this under current conditions, but the 2007 season was one of the more dis-satisfying 10-win seasons I've witnessed.  Lackluster win in hope opener against Arkansas State, loss to OU, loss to K-State (Jordy f'ing Nelson), loss to aggy in which the Akina/Mac Duff defense made Stephen McGee look line Peyton Manning in Franchione's last game in College Station.  I doubt LHN would do an entire feature on that season.

There was the thrilling comeback in Stillwater, and Jamaal going wild against Nebraska.  And we finished strong in the bowl against Arizona State, throwing Rudy Carpenter around like a rag doll. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I can't believe I'm saying this under current conditions, but the 2007 season was one of the more dis-satisfying 10-win seasons I've witnessed.  Lackluster win in hope opener against Arkansas State, loss to OU, loss to K-State (Jordy f'ing Nelson), loss to aggy in which the Akina/Mac Duff defense made Stephen McGee look line Peyton Manning in Franchione's last game in College Station.  I doubt LHN would do an entire feature on that season.

There was the thrilling comeback in Stillwater, and Jamaal going wild against Nebraska.  And we finished strong in the bowl against Arizona State, throwing Rudy Carpenter around like a rag doll. 

The general consensus on campus was that we sucked.  Hilarious in retrospect.

24 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Yes. With a helicopter flyover pre-game, IIRC.

Never cared for Larry MacDuff. Such a lazy hire.

My small time college (NAIA) had 2 helicopters hover over the  football field back in the day to blow the water off the field prior to the game. I always questioned the wisdom of having 2 helicopters hover over a field at the same time, in a driving rain, with a several hundred people in the stands. 

• Haha 1

siap

Bobby Burton: Tuesday

Tom Herman went to the microphone yesterday and gave Longhorns fans their first real glimpse of how he sees his team. By announcing starters and/or key role players, he's telling us all who he thinks best fits what he wants to do.

- At QB, it's Sam Ehlinger over Shane Buechele.

- At left tackle, it's Calvin Anderson over Denzel Okafor.

- At right tackle, it'll be either Derek Kerstetter or Sam Cosmi.

Other notes:

- As expected, freshman safety Caden Sterns has earned a starting role.

- The top three RBs are Daniel Young, Tre Watson and Keaontay Ingram.

- Herman said "ideally" he'd like to redshirt freshman QBs Cameron Rising and Casey Thompson.

I think Herman's decision to name a starting QB is the right one, and it comes at the right time. Texas is less than two full weeks away from the season opener. The Horns need to coalesce behind a starter at the game's most important position.

Chip Brown reported this morning that Texas is working on home-and-home series with both Georgia and Penn State. I was in Happy Valley for the game the last time the Horns visited Penn State. I was a student at Texas and it was 1990, when the Horns started their Shock The World campaign. Down 7-6 after a defensive-oriented first half, the game turned for the Horns on an 88-yard kick return by Tyler native Adrian Walker to start the third quarter. The return then set up a short TD run by Chris Samuels on the very next play. Texas eventually won 17-13.

The defensive front for Texas was the team's best position group. It included Tommy Jeter, Shane Dronett, James Patton and Oscar Giles. All four went on to play in the NFL. Of course, the last time the Horns played Georgia, it was at the Cotton Bowl in 1984. The Horns, ranked No. 2 in the nation, muffed a punt in their own end of the field in the fourth quarter. The Bulldogs capitalized, beating Texas 10-9. Later that night, Miami beat No. 1 Nebraska in the Orange Bowl, allowing the Hurricanes' to claim their first of several national championships over the next 20 years.

Last but not least... For those thinking I was somehow rooting for Shane Buechele to be the starter for the Horns, you should probably know that I wouldn't have predicted a 10-2 season if I knew Buechele would be the starter. More like 8-4. As much as I like Buechele as a thrower, I still think he just isn't quite mobile enough to be a great college QB, especially if the OL can't hold up.

I think Buechele starting ultimately would have been more of an indictment on Sam Ehlinger's lack of progress as a QB than anything else. And that - Ehlinger's progress - remains one of my biggest concerns for the season based on what I've been told of fall workouts. Multiple sources have said Ehlinger hasn't looked great this pre-season. But perhaps that's more because he's not necessarily free to do what he does best in practice situations given he's often wearing a non-contact jersey. I think the QB position will be undeniably improved in 2018. The real question is by just how much?

48 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Ruuuuudddyyy!  Ruuuuudddyyy!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

I'm in.  The 2008 season was one of my favorites, and one a hell of a good time (notwithstanding Lubbock).

I was in agony for the second half of it. Seeing the Sooners blow everybody out and every 3rd party matchup go their way was true torture, it was like the football gods conspired to give everything to OU. I was glad for the Fiesta Bowl so I could enjoy a football game again and forget all about that.

I'm in.  The 2008 season was one of my favorites, and one a hell of a good time (notwithstanding Lubbock).

It was almost like Colt couldn't throw a bad ball and Ship and Quan couldn't drop a pass that season..

Of course it wasn't all sunshine, and Colt nearly got killed in the CCG, then in Pasadena he did..

1 minute ago, ousux said:

It was almost like Colt couldn't throw a bad ball and Ship and Quan couldn't drop a pass that season..

Of course it wasn't all sunshine, and Colt nearly got killed in the CCG, then in Pasadena he did..

Colt didn't play in the CCG nor in Pasadena that season. Why are multiple people remembering season years wrong around here? Am I taking crazy pills?

• Like 3

Colt didn't play in the CCG nor in Pasadena that season. Why are multiple people remembering season years wrong around here? Am I taking crazy pills?
Yeah, I'm getting senile already..gotta remember the NCG actually takes place after the first of the year.

27 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

Goddamn...that home opener against Ark St nearly did me in. What a pathetic showing that was. We barely squeaked by and I kinda remember us trying a desperate onside kick and not recovering it.

Pretty sure I got thrown out of the lake Mcqueeney lodge that night

Yeah, but Everclear "margaritas" out of a styro-foam cup'll have that effect on just about anybody.

7 minutes ago, ousux said:
10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, I'm getting senile already..gotta remember the NCG actually takes place after the first of the year.

so us playing in the national championship game in 2010 got you confused and thinking it took place in the 2008 regular season?

• Like 1