2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

More importantly, how do you adjust to the strengths of an offensive line that has lost two players and is just plain insufficient as a unit? What is the untapped strength of a QB who is a freshman or one who is a sophomore but not built to take the pounding of having negligible OL protection when passing? 

The problems with the offense were neither subtle nor easily fixed by coaching wizardry. We did nothing well. The OL was the root of the problem, and losing Williams was a disaster.

What he said.

24 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

What evidence are you guys basing this coaching epiphany upon? 

Duvernay not getting as much run last year with the talent he has, but looks to be pretty involved this year. It's not an absolute or anything, but in the situation that B_B described, what I said fits. It's no big deal really.

Four of the five players that left early or graduated completely sucked. The ones that are returning were the best that we ran out there last year. We've added two or three pieces via transfer and/or injury rehab that we are hopeful will be better. And we have a better OL coach now. Losing Connor sucks but he didn't play that much or all that well last year anyway.

I like our line's chances better now that we don't have to rely on minutes from Nickelson, Cuney, A. Anderson, and McMillon. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

The problems with the offense were neither subtle nor easily fixed by coaching wizardry. We did nothing well. The OL was the root of the problem, and losing Williams was a disaster.

Sure, but it doesn't have to be only one or the other. I've beat the drum on here and everywhere else I'll talk about the team on what a crappy hand the coaching staff was dealt last year on the offensive side of the ball, but that doesn't mean you can't critique the job they did outside of that.

1 hour ago, USMCHorn said:

The moment you mentioned RHM as a criticism of CTH I immediately knew you didn't know what you were talking about. RHM, as good as he was on the field, couldn't even transfer to a DI program because his grade were so trash. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.burntorangenation.com/platform/amp/2018/5/15/17358736/reggie-hemphill-mapps-signs-trinity-valley-cc-texas-longhorns

When a player becomes disengaged and disillusioned, they'll often times stop going to class. RHM stopped going to class in November. This wasn't a scenario of a player not being able to make the grade. He was an inexperienced moron for ceasing his classwork. Still, it's not hard to understand the correlation between his position coach breaking him down to the level that they guy wanted to quit the sport and him not making the grades.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Not too mention of the OL that left, every fan would be openly rooting for them to be completely replaced on the 2 deep.

Gee. Hmmm. You know, it's weird, but I would like to have Connor Williams back and it isn't even fucking close. As well, and I know you won't understand this, but Jake McMillon coming back would also have been plenty helpful for the two deep. In fact, if Dumbfuck Derek Warehime doesn't show up and immediately yank the guy from C, where he was solid in 2016, and replace him with Shackelford, who has sucked at that spot from the moment he was inserted there, McMillon would probably still be here. 

You guys that defend guys like Meh and Shithouse are just company-line toeing honks. You're an embarrassment to fandom and I'm ashamed that we have to fucking coexist with your rabid stupidity.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

More importantly, how do you adjust to the strengths of an offensive line that has lost two players and is just plain insufficient as a unit? What is the untapped strength of a QB who is a freshman or one who is a sophomore but not built to take the pounding of having negligible OL protection when passing? 

It's a common refrain and misconception that those complaining about the coaching last year don't acknowledge our talent deficiencies.  For the umpteenth time, I have no illusions about some kind of giant leap forward in success based on "coaching wizardry" last year.  Having said that, what my point is and has always been is that our staff may have squeezed just a bit more out of the offense by doing things we at least had a chance of executing rather than things that were destined to fail before the snap.  Like going empty on third and Sidney.  I also believe that a number of other staffs would have squeezed that extra bit out instead of the stubborn attempt to adhere to philosophies like we saw last year.  And that makes a difference when you lose as many games as we did by small margins. 

And let's be honest, we saw something rather short of coaching wizardry by this staff on numerous occasions whether that be the play calling, WR rotation, certain personnel selections and so forth.  We still took shots downfield last year.  Devin Duvernay may be the best option on our team to take the top off a defense.  You don't sit him because he doesn't run the option route to your expectations.  You let him run deep or hitch up.  I can see the argument now:

"But if that's all he doesn't the defense will know what we're doing and why he's in the game."  

Enter coaching wizardry.  Does it not open other things up if the defense has to put a S over the top of Duvernay, drop into third on his side or play palms coverage to keep him from getting open deep?  If the defense knows that he's in the game to go deep does that not help dictate what they want to do in response to our supposed upcoming shot play?  Lay back and let us run on you or send the pressure and perhaps we throw a screen on a non 3rd and long situation.  Or perhaps we go ahead and take the shot.  Now, is he in to run deep, or what is Texas doing?  Ah, but who would he take snaps from?  That would be a good question.  I would offer that our 2017 WR rotation showed little aforethought to personnel use, and that he could have been put in at any time rather than ride the pine.

13 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

What evidence are you guys basing this coaching epiphany upon? 

Herman talked about his growth over the Spring in his route running and zone recognition.  A quick peak at the Spring game showed him running a lot of fly's and posts.  Maybe the staff was hiding his newfound route running nuance and ability, or maybe the realized what he does best, something that he's dangerous doing, and they let him do it.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

For me it's not sadly, but "thankfully". All coaches, good and bad, seem to be stubborn SOBs. The good ones tend to learn and shift philosophy. I think you're correct in your assessment, that they should have gone with what the player "CAN/could" do vs. not using them as much/at all for not being able to do what they wanted them to do. That's bad, a mistake and should be a mark against Herman and staff. Maybe realizing they should just get what they can out of the guy instead of sacrificing explosiveness etc... 'cos he can't do exactly what they want is a step in the right direction.

Close to what I’ve been thinking but couldn’t put it into words.

added bonus:

user name loved the movie

+ like

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's always amazed me when we see guys like Duvernay, Daje Johnson, or DJ Monroe go almost completely unused because they fail to fit the nuanced expectations of what their position coaches or OCs have in line for their position, versus coaches finding a way to leverage their unique and competitively advantaged strengths.

Ricky Williams fumbled a lot and couldn't pick up the blitz as an underclassman. Somehow, Mackovic, for all of his flaws, ended up getting him on the field anyways. As a fullback as a freshman, sure, but in that offense he got the ball. He would have ridden the fucking pine last year in Beck's offense. He'd have sat the fucking bench behind Kyle fucking Porter.

We haven't had straight line speed of Duvernay's caliber in years. We literally watched him be properly utilized in 2016 to the tune of big gains with promise for the future. And yet here we are, listening to some of you dildos talk about last season's performance as though he had much control. Any offensive mind worth a shit would be jacking off to the concept of being able to use Duvernay's speed in their gameplan. Defending anything otherwise is shocking folly to witness. 

What pissed me off is that Duvernay was the guy we would throw to deep on 3rd and longs. In that situation you want to throw to a guy like Colin Johnson who can go up and either get the ball or draw a PI and get the easy first down. With Duvernay you just totally give up the important part of the 3rd and long deep pass, trying to get the defense to commit PI. We finally used Colin Johnson some in that situation the last few games and remember at least one PI he drew.

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's always amazed me when we see guys like Duvernay, Daje Johnson, or DJ Monroe go almost completely unused because they fail to fit the nuanced expectations of what their position coaches or OCs have in line for their position, versus coaches finding a way to leverage their unique and competitively advantaged strengths.

Ricky Williams fumbled a lot and couldn't pick up the blitz as an underclassman. Somehow, Mackovic, for all of his flaws, ended up getting him on the field anyways. As a fullback as a freshman, sure, but in that offense he got the ball. He would have ridden the fucking pine last year in Beck's offense. He'd have sat the fucking bench behind Kyle fucking Porter.

We haven't had straight line speed of Duvernay's caliber in years. We literally watched him be properly utilized in 2016 to the tune of big gains with promise for the future. And yet here we are, listening to some of you dildos talk about last season's performance as though he had much control. Any offensive mind worth a shit would be jacking off to the concept of being able to use Duvernay's speed in their gameplan. Defending anything otherwise is shocking folly to witness. 

Man, this discussion of the lack of coaching wizardry last year is bringing me hard back to earth.  Probably a good thing.  

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Gee. Hmmm. You know, it's weird, but I would like to have Connor Williams back and it isn't even fucking close. As well, and I know you won't understand this, but Jake McMillon coming back would also have been plenty helpful for the two deep. In fact, if Dumbfuck Derek Warehime doesn't show up and immediately yank the guy from C, where he was solid in 2016, and replace him with Shackelford, who has sucked at that spot from the moment he was inserted there, McMillon would probably still be here. 

You guys that defend guys like Meh and Shithouse are just company-line toeing honks. You're an embarrassment to fandom and I'm ashamed that we have to fucking coexist with your rabid stupidity.

I've already said Mehringer and Warehime should not be retained after their contracts are up.

It didn't matter who was the coach, Williams was leaving for the NFL after his junior year, so you including him in your retarded word salad is a but distinguish to the discussion of Cuney, Thomas, and McMillon leaving the program.

2 different coaching staffs started Shackelford over McMillon. So let's not pretend that McMillon was some boss interior OL that was irreplaceable.

4 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

You need a preseason to work out your shitty takes.

You think? My point was that the NFL will put up with bitch-assedness and play the bitch ass if it thinks there’s talent behind the bitch-assedness. Warren was the first example I thought of because he’s getting tons of reps despite the attitude issues he demonstrated here. I’ll admit there are better examples out there. Dez would’ve been a better one. He was a cancer, but he didn’t get benched. T.O. is a great one. Point is, these turds don’t always get more disciplined when they get to the league. 

And yes, Warren will likely suffer a labia tear before the season starts. 

38 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It didn't matter who was the coach, Williams was leaving for the NFL after his junior year, so you including him in your retarded word salad is a but distinguish to the discussion of Cuney, Thomas, and McMillon leaving the program.

Calling something out as "retard word salad" with something as incomprehensible as this collection of words masquerading as a sentence is certainly a bold strategy. It's especially ironic since you didn't address the post CTJ quoted:

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Not too mention of the OL that left, every fan would be openly rooting for them to be completely replaced on the 2 deep.

There it is, in case you forgot. It was followed by this:

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

It's what happens when your route tree is go deep in a straight line.

Your surprise that posting those two things led someone to believe that you're a "corches know best!" sorta guy doesn't speak highly of your critical thinking skills. That's not surprising, since your takes seem to be "we didn't need those OL anyway" and "there's no room in the playbook for a guy who can take the top off a defense."

I'm mostly a lurker and glad for those that contribute more often, but maybe you should think more and post less, because you seem bad at it.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I've already said Mehringer and Warehime should not be retained after their contracts are up.

2 different coaching staffs started Shackelford over McMillon. So let's not pretend that McMillon was some boss interior OL that was irreplaceable.

You offered a position that we wouldn't want any of the guys who left. I countered with the reality that every person and their mother would take CW again. There wasn't a caveat in your original position and you don't get to come back later and claim one. And we don't know fuck all about whether or not CW would be coming back if he'd have had a different experience in the first year of the Herman regime.

As to Shack over McMillon, meh. McMillon graded out higher and everyone would gladly have the guy back on this season's two deep, as opposed to your claim that he was irrelevant. 

The OLs all deciding to be announced as leaving and a part of senior day, first of all, shocked Herman, and second of all, was done to highlight the frustration and exhaustion with Warehime by the players. Immediately following this event came the rumors of a team mutiny. CDC was named AD a few weeks later and his first action as AD was to examine the health of the roster within the football program. At which point Herman acknowledged that they'd been a bit too coarse with the team in year 1 and had softened up the approach heading into the Texas Bowl. The steps by CDC and Herman have all been publicly fucking acknowledged at this point.The only person who failed to get the memo was Drew Meh, and a few guys on the boards like you.

And here you are, continuing to defend two coaches who have zero fucking reason for being employed at UT at this point other than they are bros with the HC. They have no pedigree, no proven talent or history of positive performance, nothing to merit defense from anyone. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sheep Have Wool said:

Calling something out as "retard word salad" with something as incomprehensible as this collection of words masquerading as a sentence is certainly a bold strategy. It's especially ironic since you didn't address the post CTJ quoted:

There it is, in case you forgot. It was followed by this:

Your surprise that posting those two things led someone to believe that you're a "corches know best!" sorta guy doesn't speak highly of your critical thinking skills. That's not surprising, since your takes seem to be "we didn't need those OL anyway" and "there's no room in the playbook for a guy who can take the top off a defense."

I'm mostly a lurker and glad for those that contribute more often, but maybe you should think more and post less, because you seem bad at it.

I laughed. 

It's not pertinent to this thread, other than to mock HtownRube, but he's also recently advocated for abandoning recruiting DFW, since apparently that region no longer produces talent. This guy is gold.

2 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Herman talked about his growth over the Spring in his route running and zone recognition.  A quick peak at the Spring game showed him running a lot of fly's and posts.  Maybe the staff was hiding his newfound route running nuance and ability, or maybe the realized what he does best, something that he's dangerous doing, and they let him do it.

I hope you guys are right, but I'm gonna need a little more than one guy catching a few more passes in the Spring game to believe our offensive coaching has really turned a corner.  My recollection of the spring game is we still looked like shit on offense and were quick to abandon run game with the RBs, which is the same shit we pulled last year.  

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Nothing commands respect like the Lorenzo Joe deep ball

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chili dog said:

You think? My point was that the NFL will put up with bitch-assedness and play the bitch ass if it thinks there’s talent behind the bitch-assedness. Warren was the first example I thought of because he’s getting tons of reps despite the attitude issues he demonstrated here. I’ll admit there are better examples out there. Dez would’ve been a better one. He was a cancer, but he didn’t get benched. T.O. is a great one. Point is, these turds don’t always get more disciplined when they get to the league. 

And yes, Warren will likely suffer a labia tear before the season starts. 

now that he is in the league, he may actually try.  jmo.

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

I hope you guys are right, but I'm gonna need a little more than one guy catching a few more passes in the Spring game to believe our offensive coaching has really turned a corner.  My recollection of the spring game is we still looked like shit on offense and were quick to abandon run game with the RBs, which is the same shit we pulled last year.  

It’s a Spring game. The only observation I made was that it appears that the staff figured out that good things happen when you send Duvernay deep.  Beyond that I see little chance Beck figures anything out. But the season will tell all. And quite quickly. 

10 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

It’s a Spring game. The only observation I made was that it appears that the staff figured out that good things happen when you send Duvernay deep.  Beyond that I see little chance Beck figures anything out. But the season will tell all. And quite quickly. 

The UMD defense is pretty much Aniebonam and ten JAGs - we shouldn't really know until USC.