2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

25 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

We also immersed ourselves into this, in retrospect, insanely stupid rotation of WRs because of "you suck, Collin and Devin, get your ass out of there".  Sometimes, you've got to let your most talented guys work through their shit on the field instead of cutting their snaps and playing 8 or 9 guys.

Maybe, Devin will learn to run better routes and Collin will learn to play hard instead of looking at himself in the mirror. What I am saying is that if Herman had real depth last year, Devin and Collin would have been sat until they improved while better players saw the field. Then after Collin became tougher and Devin learned better route running, they would see the field and we would be a better team for it.

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Maybe, Devin will learn to run better routes and Collin will learn to play hard instead of looking at himself in the mirror. What I am saying is that if Herman had real depth last year, Devin and Collin would have been sat until they improved while better players saw the field. Then after Collin became tougher and Devin learned better route running, they would see the field and we would be a better team for it.

I think it may be a combo of that, and Herman being more decisive this year.  Maybe optimistic, but  I think with the announcement of Sam as the starter (without a rotation) and Anderson as the starter, we are going to see people kept on the field with a little time to prove themselves. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The two guys who got the most carries, Ehlinger and Porter, averaged 3.3 ypc and 3.1 ypc last year.

Ok, well that isn’t helpful for my “show me a loss!” optimism, so I’m going to stop looking at actual data and return to $9.95 report puffery.

Porter had very few carries once the Freshman broke out and one wasn't being suspended. He is buried in the depth chart now. But I would be surprised a bit if Ehlinger is not our leading rusher again.

47 minutes ago, Bevo said:

You have some of the worst instincts as a poster that I've ever seen. When you think about taking a position, think again and do the opposite. Go full Costanza. 

Bobby Burton: Thursday

After every single game for the past seven years, I've given out grades to each position group and to the offense, defense and special teams overall. So what are we expecting this year? The grades will vary game by game, but these are the end of year grades I'm expecting for each position.

Quarterback 
I don't think the QB spot will be the biggest difference maker for this team. The QB needs to move the chains, protect the ball and be a winner in the clutch. 
Expected Grade: B-

Running back 
I think Texas can win with any of the top three (or maybe even top five) backs on the roster. But the real question is, are any of them special? 
Expected Grade: B

Wide receivers 
The most talented position group on offense by a sizable margin. They're expected to have sticky hands, make the tough catches and hit a few big plays deep. I think they'll generally do those things. But I'm looking more for consistency and game-changing plays. 
Expected Grade: A

Tight ends 
I like the trio of Andrew Beck, Cade Brewer and Reese Leitao. But if one of them gets injured, the numbers all of a sudden get very thin. 

Offensive line 
While I think the OL will improved, I'm not sure it's ready for prime time on a weekly basis. It's good enough to win a lot of games but unless Herb Hand is a miracle worker, I still see the OL as the team's weakest position group until proven otherwise. 
Expected Grade: C

Offense 
Texas needs to run the ball effectively in tough situations and establish a go-to passing game that its QBs can execute and its OL can protect. From a scoring perspective, more than 30 offensive points a game in conference (compared to less than 27 a year ago, and that includes multiple defensive scores) is going to be necessary if the Horns want to win 10 games this year. 

Defensive line 
Breckyn Hager gives this unit a bona fide star, if he can have the type of success that is expected of him. The rest of the unit is solid, if not spectacular. Stopping the ground game and getting pressure on the passer should happen more often than not with this group. 
Expected Grade: A-

Linebackers 
I'm a big believer in Gary Johnson. But until Malcolm Roach and Anthony Wheeler show they can keep up in the pass happy Big 12, it's a wait-and-see group for me. 
Expected Grade: B+

Secondary 
As much as I love Kris Boyd, anytime you start a true freshman at safety there has to be some level of trepidation. I'm also somewhat concerned with PJ Locke's speed at nickel. 

Defense 
Last year, the sum of the parts were better than the individual position grades. I expect that to be the case again this year. The Horns should create a reasonable amount of turnovers because of the pass rush and general athleticism of the squad, and be able to stop the run adequately against most teams. 

Special teams 
Field goal kicking should be improved. So should kickoffs. It's the punt game that is worrisome. If it's a C, which it should be considering the Horns should have a really good coverage unit, then that's a considerable win in my book and a reasonable expectation. The return game could use more juice this year though I don't expect it. 

2 hours ago, ousux said:
12 hours ago, TexasTroll said:
Sucks
I can’t see the pic
but I’ll go with the thick one.....

Neither of them are thick, just not tall skinny beanpoles.

Thanks!!!

dont know why the pic doesn’t show but like how sight impaired  folks feel a persons face to get a idea how they look,

i was feeling the pic on the face of my phone, but no luck......😙

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You have some of the worst instincts as a poster that I've ever seen. When you think about taking a position, think again and do the opposite. Go full Costanza. 

Nah, it is just a generational thing. Coaches use to sit stars all the time, and the players would fight back and work harder. Now, there is whining on facebook, threats of transfers, and just stupid shit. When those guys get in the pros, they will probably see that they really can't just rely on talent.

10 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Bobby Burton: Thursday

Reveal hidden contents

After every single game for the past seven years, I've given out grades to each position group and to the offense, defense and special teams overall. So what are we expecting this year? The grades will vary game by game, but these are the end of year grades I'm expecting for each position.

Quarterback 
I don't think the QB spot will be the biggest difference maker for this team. The QB needs to move the chains, protect the ball and be a winner in the clutch. 

Running back 
I think Texas can win with any of the top three (or maybe even top five) backs on the roster. But the real question is, are any of them special? 

Wide receivers 
The most talented position group on offense by a sizable margin. They're expected to have sticky hands, make the tough catches and hit a few big plays deep. I think they'll generally do those things. But I'm looking more for consistency and game-changing plays. 

Tight ends 
I like the trio of Andrew Beck, Cade Brewer and Reese Leitao. But if one of them gets injured, the numbers all of a sudden get very thin. 

Offensive line 
While I think the OL will improved, I'm not sure it's ready for prime time on a weekly basis. It's good enough to win a lot of games but unless Herb Hand is a miracle worker, I still see the OL as the team's weakest position group until proven otherwise. 
Expected Grade: C

Offense 
Texas needs to run the ball effectively in tough situations and establish a go-to passing game that its QBs can execute and its OL can protect. From a scoring perspective, more than 30 offensive points a game in conference (compared to less than 27 a year ago, and that includes multiple defensive scores) is going to be necessary if the Horns want to win 10 games this year. 

Defensive line 
Breckyn Hager gives this unit a bona fide star, if he can have the type of success that is expected of him. The rest of the unit is solid, if not spectacular. Stopping the ground game and getting pressure on the passer should happen more often than not with this group. 
Expected Grade: A-

Linebackers 
I'm a big believer in Gary Johnson. But until Malcolm Roach and Anthony Wheeler show they can keep up in the pass happy Big 12, it's a wait-and-see group for me. 
Expected Grade: B+

Secondary 
As much as I love Kris Boyd, anytime you start a true freshman at safety there has to be some level of trepidation. I'm also somewhat concerned with PJ Locke's speed at nickel. 

Defense 
Last year, the sum of the parts were better than the individual position grades. I expect that to be the case again this year. The Horns should create a reasonable amount of turnovers because of the pass rush and general athleticism of the squad, and be able to stop the run adequately against most teams. 

Special teams 
Field goal kicking should be improved. So should kickoffs. It's the punt game that is worrisome. If it's a C, which it should be considering the Horns should have a really good coverage unit, then that's a considerable win in my book and a reasonable expectation. The return game could use more juice this year though I don't expect it. 

Lol at B- for the special teams when the punter has never actually punted in a game before and we don't even know who the Kicker is

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

Lol at B- for the special teams when the punter has never actually punted in a game before and we don't even know who the Kicker is

This, I am full of orange kool-aid but jeez having that graded out higher than O-Line seems like lazy reporting. Oh wait. That entire article was.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Nah, it is just a generational thing. Coaches use to sit stars all the time, and the players would fight back and work harder. Now, there is whining on facebook, threats of transfers, and just stupid shit. When those guys get in the pros, they will probably see that they really can't just rely on talent.

Funny how 95% of conversations on the Shag always end up at "spoiled millenials", "back in my day", "players nowadays are soft", "FB and Twitter spoilt generation", yadda yadda yadda. Take off the rose-coloured glasses and you realize very little has changed. Kids will always be kids.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Not exactly how it’s working out for Chris Warren so far. 

33 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

B- for the secondary seems stupid

Agree.  Really dumb to give the D Line a whole letter grade higher than the secondary.  Would rank the secondary the highest of the defensive units, especially in light of Bonney transferring.

Edited by cochamps
Spell check screwed me
  • Like 1

Herman’s not stupid.  He came in last year being a big dickhead to the players.  It’s fine if your assistants can play good cop to balance bad cop.  Except Herman’s boys, mehringer and warhime, are dickheads also.  Curious why so many lineman opted out of coming back and a guy that had a starter positioned locked down for the next 3 years in RHM decided to transfer?  Herman is a narcissistic person with a big ego.  It works if you’re winning.  I think last year slapped him in the face when he was embarrassed by the likes of Maryland and Tech.  Herman’s not stupid.  He knows he has to win and show improvement this year.  Another 5-7 win season and he will be fighting for his job next year.  He can’t afford to play mental games with players by benching them this year.  I think he will play the best players this year regardless of how they practice.  He knows he can’t have a repeat of last year.  He’s putting the message out there that they aren’t being as strict this year bc the players have bought into the culture.  Players were bought in last year too.  But they jump ship when you’re being a constant asshole combined with losing games.   Hopefully he learns how to balance being a players coach while also holding players accountable.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

How many times did you here his number called? He was barely there, both because he's been poorly utilized and because he's not a very good route runner.

He was barely used because our second rate offensive staff (Herman’s ego included) was determined to fail their way rather than winning with what they have. They covet jack of all trades, athletic freaks. Well, doesn’t every staff.

So Duvernay’s route tree looks more sparse than a Charlie Brown Christmas tree. So what?  He can take the top off an offense and run a stop route. Hard to defend both well at the same time. It’s almost like he was recruited to just such a system. 

I don’t think he suddenly figured out how to run more than 2-3 routes. I think someone on the staff decided to feature what our players CAN do rather than what the coach WANTS them to do. Shocking deep dive into coaching greatness there.  Sadly it represents step forward for our members of the offensive braintrust. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Herman’s not stupid.  He came in last year being a big dickhead to the players.  It’s fine if your assistants can play good cop to balance bad cop.  Except Herman’s boys, mehringer and warhime, are dickheads also.  Curious why so many lineman opted out of coming back and a guy that had a starter positioned locked down for the next 3 years in RHM decided to transfer?  Herman is a narcissistic person with a big ego.  It works if you’re winning.  I think last year slapped him in the face when he was embarrassed by the likes of Maryland and Tech.  Herman’s not stupid.  He knows he has to win and show improvement this year.  Another 5-7 win season and he will be fighting for his job next year.  He can’t afford to play mental games with players by benching them this year.  I think he will play the best players this year regardless of how they practice.  He knows he can’t have a repeat of last year.  He’s putting the message out there that they aren’t being as strict this year bc the players have bought into the culture.  Players were bought in last year too.  But they jump ship when you’re being a constant asshole combined with losing games.   Hopefully he learns how to balance being a players coach while also holding players accountable.

The moment you mentioned RHM as a criticism of CTH I immediately knew you didn't know what you were talking about. RHM, as good as he was on the field, couldn't even transfer to a DI program because his grade were so trash. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.burntorangenation.com/platform/amp/2018/5/15/17358736/reggie-hemphill-mapps-signs-trinity-valley-cc-texas-longhorns

Edited by USMCHorn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

The moment you mentioned RHM as a criticism of CTH I immediately knew you didn't know what you were talking about. RHM, as good as he was on the field, couldn't even transfer to a DI program because his grade were so trash. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.burntorangenation.com/platform/amp/2018/5/15/17358736/reggie-hemphill-mapps-signs-trinity-valley-cc-texas-longhorns

His grades don't discount him having problems with mehringer.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

We were 7-6 last year with a bowl victory.  Are you stuck in some sort of time warp?

4 hours ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

I just saw a stat on Twitter that said Duverney only caught 9 passes last year?  The fuck? 

At one point last year, Duvernay had more drops and interference penalties than catches. Week 4 or 5 is when I stopped counting. He was doing himself no favors in the first half of the season; not that underthrown go-routes would inspire any confidence, I admit. He sucked last year. 

Hope he shows up this year and they give him more to do aside from being a decoy. I really liked that deep post in the spring game.

9 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

Not too mention of the OL that left, every fan would be openly rooting for them to be completely replaced on the 2 deep.

1 minute ago, Tired of Lurking said:

At one point last year, Duvernay had more drops and interference penalties than catches. Week 4 or 5 is when I stopped counting. He was doing himself no favors in the first half of the season; not that underthrown go-routes would inspire any confidence, I admit. He sucked last year. 

Hope he shows up this year and they give him more to do aside from being a decoy. I really liked that deep post in the spring game.

It's what happens when your route tree is go deep in a straight line.

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Sadly it represents step forward for our members of the offensive braintrust. 

For me it's not sadly, but "thankfully". All coaches, good and bad, seem to be stubborn SOBs. The good ones tend to learn and shift philosophy. I think you're correct in your assessment, that they should have gone with what the player "CAN/could" do vs. not using them as much/at all for not being able to do what they wanted them to do. That's bad, a mistake and should be a mark against Herman and staff. Maybe realizing they should just get what they can out of the guy instead of sacrificing explosiveness etc... 'cos he can't do exactly what they want is a step in the right direction.

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Like 2

So does the season thread start on Sunday or Monday?  I’ve put time in drinking, grilling, watching old football games, and my kids are pumped to go to some games in Austin!

I’ve already shot my sooner neighbors dog with a orange paintball for shitting in my yard.  That bitch won’t be back anytime soon.  Mrs. TDs has been put on notice for this season.  I’m ready to get this thing started.  I wish the first game was in Austin!  

Fuck the gotdamn turtles!  While we are at it, fuck the purple frogs too.  We are due to destroy Fatterson’s squad.  

Fuck belly tats, visors, and all the toothless jackass in paper clip U land.  I hope the wizard doesn’t have a stroke after what we due to his merry band of purple kitties (I’ll pray for his ticker).  Baylor can fuck right off for all I care.  

Trojans ... we aren’t using protection on your Cali asses.  To hell with the rest of the schedule, we’re gonna beat all your asses.  Prepare your collective cornholes.  

I’m so ready!

oh yeah FCB!

Edited by ShowmeyourTDs
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

For me it's not sadly, but "thankfully". All coaches, good and bad, seem to be stubborn SOBs. The good ones tend to learn and shift philosophy. I think you're correct in your assessment, that they should have gone with what they player "CAN/could" do vs. not using them as much/at all for not being able to do what they wanted them to do. That's bad, a mistake and should be a mark against Herman and staff. Maybe realizing they should just get what they can out of the guy instead of sacrificing explosiveness etc... 'cos he can't do exactly what they want is a step in the right direction.

I agree that its also a "thankfully", and you're absolutely right that coaches are married to their dogmas often to the detriment of the product on the field.  I can see how the 2014 MNC and a couple of stout years at UH would be a self reinforcing feedback circle with regard to philosophy etc.  But I would also say that the ability to adjust to what you have versus beating your head on a brick wall trying to do what you want is the mark of greatness.  Particularly when it doesn't take 1.5 years to figure it out.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

For me it's not sadly, but "thankfully". All coaches, good and bad, seem to be stubborn SOBs. The good ones tend to learn and shift philosophy. I think you're correct in your assessment, that they should have gone with what the player "CAN/could" do vs. not using them as much/at all for not being able to do what they wanted them to do. That's bad, a mistake and should be a mark against Herman and staff. Maybe realizing they should just get what they can out of the guy instead of sacrificing explosiveness etc... 'cos he can't do exactly what they want is a step in the right direction.

8 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I agree that its also a "thankfully", and you're absolutely right that coaches are married to their dogmas often to the detriment of the product on the field.  I can see how the 2014 MNC and a couple of stout years at UH would be a self reinforcing feedback circle with regard to philosophy etc.  But I would also say that the ability to adjust to what you have versus beating your head on a brick wall trying to do what you want is the mark of greatness.  Particularly when it doesn't take 1.5 years to figure it out.

What evidence are you guys basing this coaching epiphany upon? 

19 minutes ago, ShowmeyourTDs said:

So does the season thread start on Sunday or Monday?  I’ve put time in drinking, grilling, watching old football games, and my kids are pumped to go to some games in Austin!

I’ve already shot my sooner neighbors dog with a orange paintball for shitting in my yard.  That bitch won’t be back anytime soon.  Mrs. TDs has been put on notice for this season.  I’m ready to get this thing started.  I wish the first game was in Austin!  

Fuck the gotdamn turtles!  While we are at it, fuck the purple frogs too.  We are due to destroy Fatterson’s squad.  

Fuck belly tats, visors, and all the toothless jackass in paper clip U land.  I hope the wizard doesn’t have a stroke after what we due to his merry band of purple kitties (I’ll pray for his ticker).  Baylor can fuck right off for all I care.  

Trojans ... we aren’t using protection on your Cali asses.  To hell with the rest of the schedule, we’re gonna beat all your asses.  Prepare your collective cornholes.  

I’m so ready!

oh yeah FCB!

I'll have what he's having.  Make it a double.

4 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

What evidence are you guys basing this coaching epiphany upon? 

More importantly, how do you adjust to the strengths of an offensive line that has lost two players and is just plain insufficient as a unit? What is the untapped strength of a QB who is a freshman or one who is a sophomore but not built to take the pounding of having negligible OL protection when passing? 

The problems with the offense were neither subtle nor easily fixed by coaching wizardry. We did nothing well. The OL was the root of the problem, and losing Williams was a disaster.

• Like 2