2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

Austin Allsup on scholarship now. 

This shit's smart. Great publicity for the program that puts us in a positive light. Herman wants to build up the walk-on program and I bet this could go a long way. Show guys that if they come and work hard they have a legitimate chance to earn a scholly in a couple years. For guys like Brockemeyer (minus the legacy) that could be a deciding factor. I won't be surprised if we give out a couple more before the season starts. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, cafe society said:

Agree.  Klatt is terrific and he is a nice guy, to boot.  I like Brock Huard pretty well, too.  When Rod Gilmore is on the tv crew my wife hides the knives.

Agreed, totally, on Klatt. Gilmore sucks as you say. I have no opinion of Huard. 

3 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

How cool must it have been for Britt Hager, given his status in our history, to get the call that his son had been voted team captain?

Very cool. I went to Westlake, but live in Dallas and don’t watch the games. My dad (67) still goes to all the games and told me all about Breck (and Sam). 

I did however sit next to Britt on a plane between Dallas and Austin (heading to El Paso, whoops). Could not have been a nicer dude, and this was when Breck was in HS still. I loved me some neck pad Hager back in the day. 

His reaction was one of appreciation, not nonchalance, as one who’d been there before. I thought that was cool. 

2 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Austin Allsup on scholarship now. 

This shit's smart. Great publicity for the program that puts us in a positive light. Herman wants to build up the walk-on program and I bet this could go a long way. Show guys that if they come and work hard they have a legitimate chance to earn a scholly in a couple years. For guys like Brockemeyer (minus the legacy) that could be a deciding factor. I won't be surprised if we give out a couple more before the season starts. 

thank you for posting this.

6 hours ago, TexasTroll said:

I aggree

i lean more to the original artwork for it embraces more what the surly is about with a glance.

But FCB fer sure!!!

Logo_D_tee_Comp.jpg

After messing around with various logos today, (which is much way more fun than working) I couldn't help but agree with TexasTroll. So, I created an entirely new and ownable logo. It's my personal fave. Also, I want to give a shout-out to @LonghornDesigns, who sent in some nice illustrations. Here is a lit Dri-Fit version: 

Surly_D_Logo_Dri_Fit.jpg 

I would like to produce these and make them available on an Etsy page to offset Surly operating costs and build the brand.  

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Logo_D_tee_Comp.jpg

After messing around with various logos today, (which is much way more fun than working) I couldn't help but agree with TexasTroll. So, I created an entirely new and ownable logo. It's my personal fave. Also, I want to give a shout-out to @LonghornDesigns, who sent in some nice illustrations. Here is a lit Dri-Fit version: 

Surly_D_Logo_Dri_Fit.jpg 

I would like to produce these and make them available on an Etsy page to offset Surly operating costs and build the brand.  

Feel like these would run into Texas's trademark real quick and you would get a nasty letter, but I would totally buy one.

Edited by Not a Sock
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Andrew Beck is jacked now. 

Remember when the 9.95’ers peddled that fake story about Nelson transferring? Leading vote getter for team captain. Good call guys. 

Several players who thought about transfering didn't 

Shrugs 

18 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Logo_D_tee_Comp.jpg

Surly_D_Logo_Dri_Fit.jpg 

I would buy one of these, love the design but I really don’t like the tongue. What kind of pissed off longhorn puts it’s tongue out?

• Like 2

Feel like these would run into Texas's trademark real quickly and you would get a nasty letter, but I would totally buy one.
How? Unless the university doesn't allow anyone to use burnt Orange without getting a cut, I see nothing...not even a Texas reference. I mean literally the only thing they could go after is the "horns" and color, but that's pretty iffy.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ousux said:
11 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:
Feel like these would run into Texas's trademark real quickly and you would get a nasty letter, but I would totally buy one.

How? Unless the university doesn't allow anyone to use burnt Orange without getting a cut, I see nothing...not even a Texas reference. I mean literally the only thing they could go after is the "horns" and color, but that's pretty iffy.

I am not a lawyer so I don't know but I imagine a burnt orange longhorn along with the Horns would be enough for Texas to have a case.

• Like 1

In one of the funniest copyright infringement cases, a record store in Milwaukee once did an ad that stated "We have all of Michael Jackson's music, from when he was a poor, black child to a rich, white man." Just to make sure MJ's legal team didn't miss it, they  mailed it to them. They eventually had to pull it down, but they got a ton of free publicity from it. 

48 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Logo_D_tee_Comp.jpg

Surly_D_Logo_Dri_Fit.jpg 

I like this design, but not sure about the tongue.  Replacing the tongue with a cigar might be an improvement.  Cigars are just socially unacceptable enough to fit just right with the Surly vibe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Logo_D_tee_Comp.jpg

Surly_D_Logo_Dri_Fit.jpg 

I definitely prefer model #1....err, I mean.... shirt #1

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Logo_D_tee_Comp.jpg

Surly_D_Logo_Dri_Fit.jpg 

In all seriousness though, would definitely buy before the cease and desist

2 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

In all seriousness though, would definitely buy before the cease and desist

The girl or the shirt???

im no lawyer and don’t claim to be

yet

im haveing a hard time wrapping my thoughts that a white teeshirt ( watch out fruit of the loom!!)

with a custom artwork cartoon logo of a bull being mad is infringement.

The burnt orange color I get.

but then agian

the Steve Patterson age may have deep tendrals 

6 hours ago, 83Horn said:

I like this design, but not sure about the tongue.  Replacing the tongue with a cigar might be an improvement.  Cigars are just socially unacceptable enough to fit just right with the Surly vibe.

I was also thinking perhaps the out-breath from the nostrils indicating surliness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nivek3 said:

You better make sure Disney isn't watching.

156p8yh.jpg s-l300.jpg

I’d get rid of the tongue and add nostril smoke like Hook’emHooah said.  But I’d definitely buy one and wear it proudly on game day.  Just don’t put it on some Gildan/Russell piece of shit shirt.  

And F.D.D

Edited by Ghost of Stevie Ray
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1