2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

2 hours ago, Rollo Tomassi said:

Sounds like Kirk Johnson is running about 6th team RB right now.  Doesn't seem to jibe w/ the scrimmage reports.

Technically the question was about pecking order. Herman put him in the bottom tier in terms of percentage of snaps they're getting. Not totally off base for a guy with his injury history. Still possible they view him as the 3/4 option in terms of game snaps. 

32 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Is Wescott feeling okay? There don't seem to be nearly as many pussy juices flowing out of that tweet as he usually produces.

People grow up. Maybe someday you will too.

Edited by DeweyCox
Just fucking with you

So essentially:

QB Sam

RB Young/ Watson or Ingram

LT Anderson

LG Vahe

C Shack

RG Rodriguez

RT Kerstetter

XWR Johnson

TE Beck

H/Y (whatever slot is in this offense) LJH/ Jamison or Moore in 4 wide

ZWR Duvernay 

DE Charles O

NT Nelson

DE Hager

BLB Roach/ McCulloch when Roach moves inside

Rover Johnson

Mac Wheeler/ Roach 1st half of UMD

NB Locke/ Thompson in Dime

BS Sterns

FS Jones

FC Davis

BC Boyd

Joker Foster

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Can you bottom line it for us, maybe with a bullet point or two?  I can't listen to that dude talk for more than a few minutes.  

He'll surprise you.  Once I got past the voice and listened, he's actually fairly insightful.  He definitely likes statistics. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Technically the question was about pecking order. Herman put him in the bottom tier in terms of percentage of snaps they're getting. Not totally off base for a guy with his injury history. Still possible they view him as the 3/4 option in terms of game snaps. 

A couple things are apparent with the Herman way. One of them is that he requires a very high level of trust built through practice before any new or rebuilt toys get to see the field. I’d say Kirko gets very limited carries until mid season if at at all. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

29 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

A couple things are apparent with the Herman way. One of them is that he requires a very high level of trust built through practice before any new or rebuilt toys get to see the field. I’d say Kirko gets very limited carries until mid season if at at all. 

True. Herman did say Kirk was like a freshman in terms of the playbook and applying his skills. 

Honestly I've been hesitant on the Ingram hype but thinking about it this way has me buying it a bit. He's already got Herman's trust which hasn't happened easily for RBs

• Like 1

I will listen to Rod's spiel later but SB is just never going to be the alpha dog that Herman wants at QB.  No knock against him, that's just not who he is.  Herman wants the identity of the offense to be smash mouth first and finesse second, and Sam gets that done.  The only other thing that matters is turnovers, and for Sam that probably comes down to whether we can run the ball.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Can you bottom line it for us, maybe with a bullet point or two?  I can't listen to that dude talk for more than a few minutes.  

I listened to the whole thing. He was more pleasant to listen to than the way i hear some posters in my head when I read their musings.

28 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

True. Herman did say Kirk was like a freshman in terms of the playbook and applying his skills. 

Honestly I've been hesitant on the Ingram hype but thinking about it this way has me buying it a bit. He's already got Herman's trust which hasn't happened easily for RBs

Injury ahead of him could push Kirk towards carries. 

I think the only thing keeping Ingram from starting on day 1 is his inexperience. I think he’s built trust with all other facets of the game besides probably fully grasping all the intricacies of the playbook and the savvy that comes with live fire.   

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

He'll surprise you.  Once I got past the voice and listened, he's actually fairly insightful.  He definitely likes statistics. 

Agree, Rod is consistently the most prepared and most insightful talking head. He is hard to listen to at times but his content is usually head and shoulders above the other jokers including the 9.95ers.

• Like 3

I know we are going to win cause we have a team of big Johnsons!  We haz Gary, we haz Colin, we haz the undiscovered possible diamond of Kirk.

When I grew up we had a great drive through call 2-Jays.  I want this to be the year of 3-Jays!  

In Keith Jackson’s voice, “Johnson takes the ball away and sores!”  “Johnson just destroyes Clay and forces a, an OU(sux) FUMBLE!”  Johnson, yeah another Johnson rips off another long gain for huge yardage!”  “First Down!

Yeah commitment me now.  I love my koolaid too much!  Damn I want some of this type of hero football.  It was what I was raised on.

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, Atlas is closed. I wouldnt try to find a chapter bar, personally. Christian’s Tailgate is always a solid sports bar option. But if youre looking to stay in Pearland no fucking clue. 

Doesn’t surprise me. That place wasn’t great at all. Watched the 2nd half of ISU game there last year after Heights Bingo. It kinda sucked. 

43 minutes ago, brojangles2 said:

I’m headed down to Pearland from Austin to watch our opener with my season ticket partner. Where are some of the better chapter bars in HOU? I’ve only been to one, and it was Atlas, all the way up on Washington. Any suggestions for an early Saturday morning watch? 

Is his handle brojangles1?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Solid info...

Hope the HORNS put such a hurt on "Md turtles" that Kirko gets a few carries during the 4th quarter of  Game #1.

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Agree, Rod is consistently the most prepared and most insightful talking head. He is hard to listen to at times but his content is usually head and shoulders above the other jokers including the 9.95ers.

i've never had a problem with Rods voice. his DBU status might have something to do with that. and I have been pretty critical of radio/podcast voice /delivery in the past. 

1 hour ago, Domedriver said:

I know we are going to win cause we have a team of big Johnsons!  We haz Gary, we haz Colin, we haz the undiscovered possible diamond of Kirk.

When I grew up we had a great drive through call 2-Jays.  I want this to be the year of 3-Jays!  

In Keith Jackson’s voice, “Johnson takes the ball away and sores!”  “Johnson just destroyes Clay and forces a, an OU(sux) FUMBLE!”  Johnson, yeah another Johnson rips off another long gain for huge yardage!”  “First Down!

Yeah commitment me now.  I love my koolaid too much!  Damn I want some of this type of hero football.  It was what I was raised on.

Check out link below with old photograph of 2-J's Hamburger Restaurant that includes huge "Colonel Sanders Sign"....

(Might have to scroll up or down to see photograph)

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth329378/#description-content-main

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

Y'all are gonna have a field day with Bobby's writeup this morning

Spoiler

I don't talk about recruiting all that much at this time of year.

However, when a young player has a game like Jake Smith did on Friday night, it's worth discussion.

Smith, playing primarily out of the slot, scored five touchdowns and totaled 230 yards of offense in his first game as a senior. It was a game where he didn't play much in the second half.

The bluest of blue chips are the ones who show up in games, from a season's start to its finish. Smith, a Longhorn commitment, is certainly on his way of earning that tag IMO.

Read more about Smith's game and his recruitment in the profile our EJ Holland posted this morning. And, if you like to watch defensive backs with little chance of success, make sure you watch the videos, too.

I was told that Gary Johnson had the best day of all defensive players on Saturday.

Not a big surprise given that Breckyn Hager only played the first series.

One thing that was concerning to at least one source was the Horns' lack of pass rush in the absence of Hager.

The pass rush wasn't non-existent, but it certainly wasn't overwhelming either.

Of course, that could easily be seen as a sign that the Texas OL is actually improving. But this source didn't necessarily think that was the case.

The thought is that the Horns have to find another elite rusher, someone besides Hager, who can get to the QB. Right now, they're doing it by committee without a true second pass rusher.

What do I make of Shane Buechele getting more looks with the 1s recently than Sam Ehlinger?

I think the QB race is up for grabs, and I think it's leaning the way of Buechele, at least currently. Buechele is earning that.

Look, I wouldn't have guessed this was the case back in the spring. But until Ehlinger takes that next step and can successfully throw the ball downfield, Buechele is going to keep getting a look.

But I'd also ask everyone to consider this.

Facts are, no matter who the QB (Ehlinger or Buechele), neither of them will be considered the strength of the team.

So, it boils down to which of the two QBs gives the offense a better chance to make plays and score? And what kind of offense does Texas want to be?

If it's strictly a ball-control type, then Ehlinger may be better suited, simply because he can often pick up first-down yardage with his feet that Buechele just can't.

At the same time, if the strength of the offense is its receivers, then getting the ball to them takes precedent.

I don't know which way the Texas coaches are going to go, in part because as of Sunday they hadn't made that decision.

But anyone who thinks Ehlinger remains a shoe-in to start against Maryland hasn't been keeping up with what's going on in practice.

The most worrisome aspect of Saturday's entire scrimmage?

I'm told it was the place-kicking.

Returnee Josh Rowland looked the worst. But the problem is that no one looked particularly good.

If the Horns don't have a reliable field goal kicker this season, that is going to be a huge disappointment, and ultimately very costly IMO.

Two things in there are already proven just wrong lol