2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

40 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Johnson is a JR. He isn't "gone" unless you mean injury issues or a transfer. 

I don't want Carter to transfer and think he can get some reps in the future. I won't be shocked if he transfers though. A guy that wanted playing time as a true fish likely isn't pleased with being the 5th string RB (if the TFB reports are correct). 

I do agree completely with this.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I'm rooting for both QB's to get better and one of them to "Take the Starting Job".

Hope Sam & Shane play "GREAT" verses Maryland.... 

HORNS should both Rush & Throw for over 200 yds each verses "Terps" for over 400+ Total Yards....🤘

Agree! Texas is going to need both during the season, I’m sure.  At some point Shane needs to show the QB in real games that he’s showing in practice. 

5 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I can haz depth chart?

Looking for the same. I have been playing NCAA14 and have the roster downloaded from operation sports. Usually I fix the horns and Gators and play with them against their big games. Helps learn the players names.

54 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

Agree! Texas is going to need both during the season, I’m sure.  At some point Shane needs to show the QB in real games that he’s showing in practice. 

Shane squeezes the ball and get sacked. Sam squeezes the ball and gets out of the pocket to get 10 yards, a first down, and a concussion. Both guys need to sling the rock and these badass receivers can hopefully cover up their inaccuracies. 

2 hours ago, TexasTroll said:

The o line has been below average for 3 fucking years

hes been lucky to get a first read.

if the Oline improves so will his play.

SB needs more than 1 second from his oline.

but hey

Sure. any other quarterback can play behind a bad oline and still have stellar numbers.

if the oline can give SB time to play to his strengths he will do fine.

I’m sorry but your son just isn’t a good QB. 

32 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Looking for the same. I have been playing NCAA14 and have the roster downloaded from operation sports. Usually I fix the horns and Gators and play with them against their big games. Helps learn the players names.

Can't wait for the new college football game that may be coming out in 2020.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I’m sorry but your son just isn’t a good QB. 

Shane is accurate but undersized. That's okay if your oline is really good (see baker mayfield). Sam is a great talent. He's pretty damn good even with a shit oline. Decisions last year sucked due to being a true Fresh and concussed half the time.

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

You’re correct if you’re referring to your remembrance of the game. 

The score and injuries are a matter of record. Although I believe it was the thumb on his throwing hand and ribs that were jacked up. 

Bullshit is the excuse you are using for covering for his abysmal play that day. 16-25 for 90 yards and 3 INTs after the 1st play of the game. One INT was returned for a TD the other set up the GW FG in OT. So in a 24-21 loss, Buechele was directly responsible for 10 of those points.

27 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

Shane is accurate but undersized. That's okay if your oline is really good (see baker mayfield). Sam is a great talent. He's pretty damn good even with a shit oline. Decisions last year sucked due to being a true Fresh and concussed half the time.

Shane doesn't have any pocket presence like Faker Gayfield. Also, he was a true Soph last year... unless you are getting confused with Sam, who was a true Freshman and concussed in all of his 4th quarter stupid interceptions. 

23 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Bullshit is the excuse you are using for covering for his abysmal play that day. 16-25 for 90 yards and 3 INTs after the 1st play of the game. One INT was returned for a TD the other set up the GW FG in OT. So in a 24-21 loss, Buechele was directly responsible for 10 of those points.

Again, he had a jacked up thumb and ribs, and everyone with a brain saw that he was falling off as a passer because of it as the year went on. We had no viable backup so Shane was forced to throw with predictable results. 

The staff didn’t run Foreman 50 times that game because Shane was healthy. But go ahead and blame him. You’ll be lonely in that section. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

Shane is not accurate. I can count on one hand how many deep balls he connected on. He doesn’t throw over the middle. He doesn’t throw the WR open, they have to be WIDE open. Stop blaming the OL. It’s a false narrative to accept mediocrity. 

28 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

I guess I just don't understand the Shane bashing. He's a good dude that works hard. Sam is more talented, but we need Shane.

I’m not bashing him. I just expect better from the starter QB at Texas. I’m glad he chose Texas. I’m glad he works hard. His performance just isn’t good enough. That’s just reality. I know we need him as a backup to give Rising a redshirt year, but that doesn’t make him a good QB. 

• Like 2

After the soul draining Maryland loss last year that was basically the culmination of every single last straw with 9.95ers for the past decade, I'm buying exactly not a single fucking damn thing until a Texas coach/team actually proves they're capable of winning 8+ games before I ever drink even a sip of kool-aid.

Edited by Nick Diaz
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Boyd has come a long way since tweeting about the aggies during halftime a game his freshman year. That’s a great leadership move

Literally was about to post this. Validating everyone who said he was a really good person at heart who had never had a father figure to model himself after.

6 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I can haz depth chart?

I'm not a 9.95er, but I can't be that much worse than them, right? Here's my guess on the 2-deep against Maryland:

Offense

QB: Ehlinger OR Buechele

RB: Watson OR Ingram 

XWR: C. Johnson, Eagles

HWR: LJH, Jamison OR J. Moore

ZWR: Devin Duvernay, Burt

LT: Anderson, Okafor OR Cosmi

LG: Vahe, Hudson

😄 Shack, Kerstetter

RG: Rodriguez, Imade

RT: Kerstetter, Okafor OR Cosmi

YTE: A. Beck, Brewer

Defense

DE: Hager, Bimage

NT: Nelson, Wilbon

DE: Omenihu, Graham

BLB:  McCulloch, Ossai, Vaughns (listing three here in case Shark isn't healthy)

MLB: Roach, McCulloch

ROV: G. Johnson, Townsend

CB: K. Boyd, Cook

BS: Sterns, Brown

FS: B. Jones, Foster

CB: Davis, Boyce

NB: Locke, J. Thompson

Special Teams

K: Dicker

P: Bujcevski

DS: Holbrook, ???

KR: Jamison, Devin Duvernay ; Porter, J. Moore

PR: Heard, Jamison

I think Sam's the starter, but I wouldn't put it past Herman to leave it up in the air until kickoff. Rising is QB3, regardless.

I could see any combination of Ingram, Watson, and Young being in the two-deep, whether it's an either/or lineup or a clear pecking order. I'll believe Kirk Johnson makes it to gameday when I see it.

On the OL, I feel most unsure about RT.

If we end up starting with four down on defense, then bump Wilbon up to starter at DT, with Graham the primary backup. No idea who the second backup DT would be, maybe Ojomo or Chisholm? More likely we change fronts if we have to go that deep into the depth chart.

LB is a clusterfuck beyond the starters. I doubt we see Townsend on the field in any capacity unless it's garbage time; once again I figure Orlando will change defenses or move one of the starters around instead of playing deep reserves.

If we go dime, then I'll guess that we see Thompson or Foster at the Joker position.

I think Dicker will win the placekicking competition outright. I could maybe see us using Rowland for PATs or something.

I honestly have no idea at KR, but I think K. Boyd and LJH are too important to risk as the primary guys. I like Jamison at PR the best, but I could see the coaches not trusting him there just yet.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Shane is not accurate. I can count on one hand how many deep balls he connected on. He doesn’t throw over the middle. He doesn’t throw the WR open, they have to be WIDE open. Stop blaming the OL. It’s a false narrative to accept mediocrity. 

I’m not bashing him. I just expect better from the starter QB at Texas. I’m glad he chose Texas. I’m glad he works hard. His performance just isn’t good enough. That’s just reality. I know we need him as a backup to give Rising a redshirt year, but that doesn’t make him a good QB. 

This is about how I feel. Shane has a ridiculously high sack rate (twice that of Sam), his play drops off as soon as he's hit, and while he appears accurate in reality he's throwing a lot of short passes which shows in his horrendously low yards per completion stats. 

Shane hasn't been done any favors by the OC, or the talent around him, but he isn't a world beater either. If he makes a leap then I'll happily re-assess. 

Watching some NFL pre-season games and it's glaringly obvious most of our guys who left early weren't anywhere near ready for the NFL.  By all accounts, they were advised not to go and still did, which says something about the level of buy-in this team had last year.  Gives me some real hope we can be quite a bit better this year.  Better depth, second season with the same offensive/defensive schemes, and apparently much better program buy-in across the board.

• Like 1

Herb Hand's O-lines were known for their excellent run blocking, not their pass protection. Against Clemson Stidham suffered something like 11 sacks.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2017/9/12/16284046/clemson-tigers-defense-2017-auburn-11-sacks

Point is, don't be so quick to assume our pass pro will take a huge leap forward this year. Our QB will still be scrambling early and often against decent D-lines.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Skyline said:

This is about how I feel. Shane has a ridiculously high sack rate (twice that of Sam), his play drops off as soon as he's hit, and while he appears accurate in reality he's throwing a lot of short passes which shows in his horrendously low yards per completion stats. 

Shane hasn't been done any favors by the OC, or the talent around him, but he isn't a world beater either. If he makes a leap then I'll happily re-assess. 

Shane also gets down on himself when things go bad, which doesn’t give the team confidence.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

I'm not a 9.95er, but I can't be that much worse than them, right? Here's my guess on the 2-deep against Maryland:

Offense

QB: Ehlinger OR Buechele

RB: Watson OR Ingram 

XWR: C. Johnson, Eagles

HWR: LJH, Jamison OR J. Moore

ZWR: Devin Duvernay, Burt

LT: Anderson, Okafor OR Cosmi

LG: Vahe, Hudson

😄 Shack, Kerstetter

RG: Rodriguez, Imade

RT: Kerstetter, Okafor OR Cosmi

YTE: A. Beck, Brewer

Defense

DE: Hager, Bimage

NT: Nelson, Wilbon

DE: Omenihu, Graham

BLB:  McCulloch, Ossai, Vaughns (listing three here in case Shark isn't healthy)

MLB: Roach, McCulloch

ROV: G. Johnson, Townsend

CB: K. Boyd, Cook

BS: Sterns, Brown

FS: B. Jones, Foster

CB: Davis, Boyce

NB: Locke, J. Thompson

Special Teams

K: Dicker

P: Bujcevski

DS: Holbrook, ???

KR: Jamison, Devin Duvernay ; Porter, J. Moore

PR: Heard, Jamison

I think Sam's the starter, but I wouldn't put it past Herman to leave it up in the air until kickoff. Rising is QB3, regardless.

I could see any combination of Ingram, Watson, and Young being in the two-deep, whether it's an either/or lineup or a clear pecking order. I'll believe Kirk Johnson makes it to gameday when I see it.

On the OL, I feel most unsure about RT.

If we end up starting with four down on defense, then bump Wilbon up to starter at DT, with Graham the primary backup. No idea who the second backup DT would be, maybe Ojomo or Chisholm? More likely we change fronts if we have to go that deep into the depth chart.

LB is a clusterfuck beyond the starters. I doubt we see Townsend on the field in any capacity unless it's garbage time; once again I figure Orlando will change defenses or move one of the starters around instead of playing deep reserves.

If we go dime, then I'll guess that we see Thompson or Foster at the Joker position.

I think Dicker will win the placekicking competition outright. I could maybe see us using Rowland for PATs or something.

I honestly have no idea at KR, but I think K. Boyd and LJH are too important to risk as the primary guys. I like Jamison at PR the best, but I could see the coaches not trusting him there just yet.

No you're not, you are actually better. I think most love you here on Surly. I wouldn't recommend a career change. You would soon become public enemy no.2. 

• Like 1

Put Jerrad Heard back there returning kicks. I can't believe the dude isn't good enough to make the 2 deep at any of the WR spots. At least he should have a jet sweep package or wildcat or something. He's been our main ball carrier at one point during the CS shitshow. Hes got talent with the ball in his hands. 

On 8/17/2018 at 4:56 PM, Chili dog said:

He was a wasted scholly. He would have helped us more by staying at Baylor. 

Chili, do you know JPU? Any of his HS coaches? Ask them about his football ability. When they stop laughing, you’ll really feel bad that we took him. They talk about it like they just sold a lemon of a used car to some unsuspecting sucker. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Chili, do you know JPU? Any of his HS coaches? Ask them about his football ability. When they stop laughing, you’ll really feel bad that we took him. They talk about it like they just sold a lemon of a used car to some unsuspecting sucker. 

Yeah, I know the coaches and faculty who were at cove while he was there. Some are still there. I played with some, in fact. Not many flattering things to say. I don’t care if a kid sucks. I care about his attitude. I wouldn’t be shocked to learn he’s more humble at Texas, where he may very well be the worst player on the team. I’m pretty sure Wickline stopped calling him once he met him and realized he was a fraud. I thought we dodged a bullet when Baylor took him. Alas... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zavala said:

Put Jerrad Heard back there returning kicks. I can't believe the dude isn't good enough to make the 2 deep at any of the WR spots. At least he should have a jet sweep package or wildcat or something. He's been our main ball carrier at one point during the CS shitshow. Hes got talent with the ball in his hands. 

Heard hates contact.