2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

2 hours ago, SLChorn said:

I'm interested in seeing how Boyce does this year. To my untrained eyes, he looked solid in the spring game, especially covering Collin Johnson.

Also, is Estell back from injury yet?

Yes, ran with the 3s at safety, at least during the portion of practice open to the media.

Also at fault was Gregory Davis once again failing to identify his unit’s strengths prior to the season and literally trotting the exact same offense out as the one we featured in 08 despite those personnel losses. 
People forget ith all the praise heaped upon the albatross for his offensive flexibility that said adeptness was forced on him in the first half of most years because he had so grossly misidentified what the offense should be until someone pantsed us on national tv. 
But I ain’t mad. 

Do we think Coach Herman is going to change his offense every year to suit the players?

lol, no.

12 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Do we think Coach Herman is going to change his offense every year to suit the players?

lol, no.

Thing I will say is at least he is willing to play Freshmen early unlike Brown who would wait until after OU blowouts to play the better player.

20 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Thing I will say is at least he is willing to play Freshmen early unlike Brown who would wait until after OU blowouts to play the better player.

Feels like that was the old guard of coaching.. I despised Bill Cowher for trotting out "proven vets" who ran 6.6 and continually got burned because a rookie or second year player was too green despite being more athletic and fast..Had Vrabel covering kicks for three seasons, yet kept Jason Gildon on the field flopping with his alligator arms play after play..

Football is different today than 15 years ago...
Hell, I'd rather not play freshman, but I wouldnt roll Bret Robin before Ced Benson.... ever.

43 minutes ago, Snacks said:

lol, no.

I think Coach Herman better be more adept at discerning his charges’ relative strengths and weaknesses, and thereby tweak his system to accommodate those attributes or he’ll be given walking papers aloner than later too. 

We played good defense and won 9-11 games regularly under Mack which bought Greggo a lot of leeway for his annual bullshittery. And in his slight defense, Mack never had a system to recruit to. As someone else so eloquently said, Mack started collecting talent instead of building a program. GD needed a rudder to be truly effective. Transformational talent provided him that guidance. He was a detriment to the program when left to his own devices. 

Herman has a rudder. But he also has ample supplies of smug, self belief and cronyism. Maryland put him in his place a bit with the former, and he’s begun correcting the latter to a degree thanks to the ability to hire an extra coach and shift/reduce the responsibilities of the weaker links in his staff. 

• Like 1

IT 8/5 practice notes (offense)

Special thanks to Travis Hlavinka for pinch hitting for Inside Texas in these first few days of practice. Travis is a current student and covered baseball for The Daily Texan this season. Follow him on Twitter @travhlav. 

1st team:

QB Ehlinger 11
RB: Young 32
WR: Johnson 9
WR: Humphrey 84
WR: Duvernay 6
LT: Okafor 78
LG: Vahe 77
😄 Shackelford 56
RG: Rodriguez 72
RT: Kerstetter 68
TE: Beck 47

2nd team: 

QB: Buechele 7
RB: Watson 5
WR: Burt 1
WR: Heard 13
WR: Eagles 82
LT: Cosmi 52
LG: Hudson 73
😄 Allsup 69
RG: Imade 67
RT: Uriquidez 71
TE: Leitao 81

3rd team

QB: Rising/Thompson 3/8
RB: Carter then Porter/Ingram, 30 then 21/26
WR: Curtis 16
WR: Joshua Moore 14
WR: Epps 85
LT: Anderson 66
LG: Ghirmai 74
😄 Rodriguez 72
RG: Angilau 75
RT: Reese Moore 76
TE: Cummins 89

Cloudy skies yet again, but a slight breeze and slightly cooler temperatures made for the most enjoyable weather of the weekend. Sunday was the first of the three days that the team put pads on. However, it was also the day that gave away the least information. There were no offensive or defensive team drills today, so there was no way to tell if things had changed in terms of depths. I was planning on watching both sides of the ball in the small window I had, but the defense didn’t do much more than mirror wave drills in large quantities and some more get-off drills similar to ones seen on Saturday. 

One interesting tidbit I saw from the defensive side of the ball, though, is that D’Shawn Jamison will wear No. 17 and switch from offense to defense every day, though he will most likely stay in an orange offensive jersey early in camp. But overall, I just wasn’t getting a ton, so I decided to focus on the offense and make sure my eyes weren’t deceiving me from the impressions I took away from Friday.

Quarterbacks: 

Sam Ehlinger, who I said was the clear-cut quarterback on Friday, took a step back on Sunday morning. 

Under the watchful eyes of Tom Herman, Ehlinger seemed a step slower than he was to start off the weekend and a step slower than his challenger, Shane Buechele. I first noticed this when the QBs and RBs were running a drill where the QB would line up in shotgun, fake the RB draw and roll to his right to deliver a throw to his RB in the flat. He seemed slow doing so and didn’t throw one great ball in the four plays he went through. He carried that over to the drills with the wide receivers. There he threw intermediate stop routes which looked to be about 12-14 yards. Some to the slot, some to the outside. He and Buechele ran simultaneously, and it was obvious Buechele delivered the ball quicker, crisper and more accurately in all but two of the ten reps that I saw. 

While I’m still sticking with my original predictions and will chalk this up to an off day for Ehlinger, who I still believe is the better QB, things aren’t as far apart as I originally thought. In terms of backups, neither are very close to either Ehlinger or Buechele. Cameron Rising did not have a great day. He was off with multiple throws, including a ball that hit the ground nearly five yards in front of his receiver. Casey Thompson had a better day tossing the rock than Rising and improved from Friday. My guess is there will be a lot of flip-flopping between those two early on before one really begins to separate himself. 

Running Backs:

Every running back caught the ball cleanly from what I witnessed. No major drops or bobbles stick out. The depth chart looks to be slightly off in terms of talent at the moment. I believe that when Tre Watson is at peak health, he will challenge Daniel Young for the starting position. He’s just too talented, quick and explosive not to. Young looked fine and will likely hold onto that roll for a while but is just not quite as athletic as Watson. Keontay Ingram and Toneil Carter look evenly matched. Both have extremely bright futures if Herman decides to give them enough touches. Outside of their short stint with the QBs, the main focus on the day fort the group was blocking. 

Wide Receivers:

The position still looks like it possesses an abundance of talent, especially as you get to the larger guys. I didn’t see one mistake all weekend from Collin Johnson, who is hard to take your eyes off of. For my money, he is the most talented and physically gifted player on the roster. 

Lil’ Jordan Humphrey overall had a good day, but juggled a ball once, though it was not a perfect throw from Ehlinger. Duvernay also juggled a ball, however, that one was his fault. Outside of that he was impressive. Brennan Eagles will be the hardest freshman on offense to keep off the field. Outside of Humphrey, he may have the most muscle of any receiver. When you throw in the fact that he’s relatively the same height as Humphrey and that he’s only a freshman, the sky’s the limit for Eagles.

Offensive Line:

The unit was harped on quite a bit from the short time I was there watching them. In about the four minutes, I stood next to the linemen as they were running a diagonal board drill, and offensive line coach Herb Hand wasn't happy. He ripped a handful for bad first steps, wrong angles, head position and not giving good defensive scout looks. The offensive line seemed to take more advantage of having on shoulder pads than any other unit, but didn’t show enough actual football to sink your teeth into.

Tight ends:

Tight ends seem to be kind of a loner group and again practiced by themselves on the far side of the field. 

They ran through some stalk blocks and some driving drills, but for the most part there wasn’t a ton to grasp from. I asked Andrew Beck about Cade Brewer’s health on Saturday, and Beck said that he has been doing “most everything,” but is not sure how heathy he actually is (Coach Herman told IT on Thursday that Brewer would be limited for the first few weeks of fall camp).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Feels like that was the old guard of coaching.. I despised Bill Cowher for trotting out "proven vets" who ran 6.6 and continually got burned because a rookie or second year player was too green despite being more athletic and fast..Had Vrabel covering kicks for three seasons, yet kept Jason Gildon on the field flopping with his alligator arms play after play..

Don't give a shit about steeler bs.

• Like 3

OL notes from OB

Spoiler

A few notes on the offensive line as the pads went on today and we were able to see these guys running at hitting at speeds much, much closer to "live": 

1) I'd be burying the lede by not addressing grad transfer OT Calvin Anderson first off. He was viewed as a critical piece coming in by fans and analysts alike (yours truly included) to the unit's continued improvement. While he still has a chance to be that critical piece, I think it's fair to say the guy has had a slow start. Again today, he was not working exclusively with the ones, also taking reps with the twos and even the threes. Furthermore, RS FR Samuel Cosmi seemed to take more reps at first LT during the open window than Anderson and Denzel Okafor most certainly did as well. Is new OL coach Herb Hand making him "earn it'? Well, that's impossible to know, but what you can tell is that Anderson hasn't exactly looked like a world beater thus far. He could still be rounding into form, or he could have issues with his conditioning. In fact, as the OL group was jogging from one side of the field to the other to go through inside-run portion, Herb Hand yelled out to everybody, "I JOG FASTER THAN CALVIN ANDERSON AND I HAD MY KNEE REPLACED SIX MONTHS AGO!!" This could all be water under the bridge by the end of fall camp, but it's where we look to be after three days. 

2) Some notes from the two-man sled:

- I laughed out loud at how strong OG Patrick Hudson was hitting the two-man with another muscle-bound and suddenly ridiculously beastly looking dude in OG Tope Imade. Anyone who's been around many football practices knows what happens when you get an unevenly matched couple of guys on the two-man together and what happens is the sled skews like crazy to one side. They kept having to straighten it out for the next duo. Hudson's overall health continues to look fine to me. 

- In contrast to Hudson, you can see that freshman OT Reese Moore has some work to do in the strength department which is completely expected. He moves well, has good feet and is a developmental-type of tackle prospect. The strength will come but the ability to move at that size can't be instilled as easily. Fellow freshman Christian Jones was getting the sled off-kilter with these two similarly to how Hudson did Imade. 

3) A note from the zone-angle and power-step board drills 

- The most praise I heard during open practice for a lineman from Hand was given to freshman OG/OT Junior Angilau who was complimented for taking a clean step and a nice, flat angle down the board in outside-zone/down-blocking simulations. Angilau who was moving down the board to his left, was made an example of by Hand to the rest of the group for keeping a "strong right arm" in the down block -- in essence, keeping the play-side half of his body strong and making his chest difficult to penetrate across which will be key in situations where he and other guards will have to block down on one-shades. 

4) Two quick notes from the inside-run drills

- If I can be guaranteed health all season, hands down, give me Kirk Johnson as my running back if my job were on the line as a coach. 

- Tope Imade is a better pulling guard than Patrick Vahe. Unlike Vahe, Imade actually keeps his head up and engages his target with leverage, both on the outside in kick-out situations and on the inside when he has to turn up to find the outside linebacker. Imade is a little stiff and muscle-bound with his recent hulk-like transformation, but he'll make for good depth at guard that actually does some things better than Vahe does.