2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

I'd bet my USC tickets that Calvin Anderson will be starting the first game at LT. Absolutely nothing to it that he's not at LT1 on the 3rd day of practice. He will have to "earn" it the same way they're making Sam "earn" that starting spot at QB. We all knew (even since last year) that if they're both healthy Sam will be starting, regardless of all the competition talk. Herman's handling of that situation should tell you all you need to know about how he'll handle Anderson. 

Kirk Johnson hype from OB? Consider me intrigued. Not hard to do going from 0 expectations to maybe 1 expectation now. 5 guys that can run makes me hopeful. 

49 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

I'd bet my USC tickets that Calvin Anderson will be starting the first game at LT. Absolutely nothing to it that he's not at LT1 on the 3rd day of practice. He will have to "earn" it the same way they're making Sam "earn" that starting spot at QB. We all knew (even since last year) that if they're both healthy Sam will be starting, regardless of all the competition talk. Herman's handling of that situation should tell you all you need to know about how he'll handle Anderson. 

Kirk Johnson hype from OB? Consider me intrigued. Not hard to do going from 0 expectations to maybe 1 expectation now. 5 guys that can run makes me hopeful. 

Alex Dunlap at OB has a few guys that he gets super high on. Kirk Johnson is one of them. Casey Thompson is another. It's really about potential more than anything else. 

I like his OL evaluations the most. He actually has a charting and grading system for the OL that he keeps updated.

Alex Dunlap at OB has a few guys that he gets super high on. Kirk Johnson is one of them. Casey Thompson is another. It's really about potential more than anything else. 
I like his OL evaluations the most. He actually has a charting and grading system for the OL that he keeps updated.

It’s not just OB hype - Kirk Johnson has looked great every time he’s been healthy. Unfortunately he’s only been healthy for 11-12 of the 1000+ days he’s been on campus.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruh Man said:

gottdamnit sam, take the job. it's getting frustrating reading about his inconsistencies. 

with 5 running backs, a potentially serviceable line, an a potentially emerging go-to receiver, there is lots of potential, for buechele to take the job back.

if you don't need to run sam, then save sam for the changeup when needed.

going from sam back to buechele if sam gets hurt is far less preferable to me.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

It’s not just OB hype - Kirk Johnson has looked great every time he’s been healthy. Unfortunately he’s only been healthy for 11-12 of the 1000+ days he’s been on campus.

If he's still healthy the day of the Maryland game I'll a) be shocked, and b) hype him up myself. He'd be one hell of a great RB, if he were ever actually available to play.

19 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

with 5 running backs, a potentially serviceable line, an a potentially emerging go-to receiver, there is lots of potential, for buechele to take the job back.

if you don't need to run sam, then save sam for the changeup when needed.

going from sam back to buechele if sam gets hurt is far less preferable to me.

if the oline is good, then I would not mind rolling with shane. he seems to have much better chemistry with johnson.

• Like 1

He is limited as a passer - poor accuracy and decision making

From what I’ve seen it’s only the latter that’s holding him back. He can make the throws. Is he the most accurate? No but that’s ok. We need someone who makes good decisions and can tuck the ball and run while threatening the deep ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

His mechanics were poor, supposedly they worked on that but from what little video I’ve seen he looked the same. He’s an average player, it’s pretty simple.

I’m in this camp. He’s a holdover until Rising is ready. 

• Like 2

I think the competition between Rising, Thompson and Johnson will be fierce and the outcome difficult to handicap.  Everyone seems anxious to write Thompson off - or at least consign him to third in the pecking order - and I am not convinced this is at all accurate.  All three of these kids are talented, multifaceted and highly competitive.  I wish they all had a year of college ball under their belts.  They are all superior to what we will roll out this season, IMO, though I am pretty optimistic we have a good season.

I am in the camp of letting Sam have a true sophomore campaign before I label him as average or worse. He saw only a fraction of the field last season, and while he made some VERY poor decisions and isn't going to amaze anyone with pinpoint accuracy, he also had some moments where he looked like a gamer and nearly beat both USC (in his second game ever) and he almost beat OU. We don't know the full story on Sam at this time. Unlike Shane, where we have seen plenty of empirical evidence as to his ceiling and floor.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I honestly laughed out loud reading this optimism from you guys and the $9.95ers regarding Kirk Johnson. That dude is made of glass. He’ll be down with a mysterious injury that sidelines him for the season within the next 2 weeks. 

This was my reaction as well. Fucking Chip Brown still talks about "my guy KirkoGrinds" like he is the next Heisman winner at Texas, if only he'd see the field. Yes, a fully healthy Kirk Johnson would be a fantastic bonus. But I am not holding my breath.

24 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I think the competition between Rising, Thompson and Johnson will be fierce and the outcome difficult to handicap.  Everyone seems anxious to write Thompson off - or at least consign him to third in the pecking order - and I am not convinced this is at all accurate.  All three of these kids are talented, multifaceted and highly competitive.  I wish they all had a year of college ball under their belts.  They are all superior to what we will roll out this season, IMO, though I am pretty optimistic we have a good season. 

Thompson transferred.

• Fuck You 2

21 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

I am in the camp of letting Sam have a true sophomore campaign before I label him as average or worse. He saw only a fraction of the field last season, and while he made some VERY poor decisions and isn't going to amaze anyone with pinpoint accuracy, he also had some moments where he looked like a gamer and nearly beat both USC (in his second game ever) and he almost beat OU. We don't know the full story on Sam at this time. Unlike Shane, where we have seen plenty of empirical evidence as to his ceiling and floor.

This guy gets it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I honestly laughed out loud reading this optimism from you guys and the $9.95ers regarding Kirk Johnson. That dude is made of glass. He’ll be down with a mysterious injury that sidelines him for the season within the next 2 weeks. 

Fuck you, you pessimistic sonofabitch (BTW, I fucked your moms last night). I saw it happen once when I was young, and it’ll happen again with Kirkogrinds.

forrest-gump-running-gif-19.gif

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Like 3