2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

IT Kool-Aid team notes

Practice began last Friday with the team in shorts and shirts for the first two days.

On Sunday, the team wore shoulder pads so the physicality was turned up another notch. Speaking of protective wear, if you've seen pictures from practice you've noticed the team wearing an extra shell over their helmets. It's nice to see Herman take extra precautions for the players. It also underlines just how physical things are about to get.

The team will hit a wall eventually before the staff backs off a little, but for now practices have been fast paced and energetic. The coaches are very happy with intensity and effort levels.

This camp is already different than any of the three previous practice blocs Herman has held in that I'm already hearing some positives about the offense.

Collin Johnson versus Kris Boyd serves as a microcosm of the give and take nature of camp thus far. Both Johnson and Boyd are making their share of plays on each other. From a baseline talent standpoint, that's early round NFL on early round NFL.

My main takeaway after talking to a few people is that the offense is showing immediate improvement.

Let's set the stage.

The offense is still mainly in 11 personnel. They have run some 10 which so far is just a dead giveaway they intend to pass.

The defense has been mainly base or nickel.

As I wrote on Friday, Todd Orlando intends to keep his defense as simple as possible versus Maryland, with the same defense he's using now; base or nickel.

The offensive line is better at run blocking at this point, though the big plays are coming on deeper throws in those give-and-take scenarios. By no means are they running well on the defense, but they are gaining some traction.

Calvin Anderson has been rotating with the ones during scrimmage work and I'm hearing very favorable things. While he's still adapting to the speed and athleticism of the pass rush, he's very strong, plays with good leverage and is quick off the ball in the run-game. There was an expletive or two to describe his play strength and quickness.

Over on the other side, Derek Kerstetter has a stranglehold on right tackle. He, along with Elijah Rodriguez, have both been working at back-up center to familiarize themselves with the position in case they're needed.

Rodriguez is in a bit of a battle for snaps, but not with who we expected. Rather than Patrick Hudson, Tope Imade is the player pushing him and he has received 1st team snaps in scrimmage work. I'm still expecting Rodriguez to hold on to the job, but we'll see how camp goes.

Hudson is working behind Patrick Vahe at left guard and taking 2nd team reps solely. I'm sure there's a good reason for him repping where there seemingly isn't playing time, but I'm not sure what that is just yet.

Overall this group has improved at run blocking and they're getting better at picking up blitzes. Having healthy tight ends doesn't hurt, though they have their struggles at times, especially when they stay inline versus the pass. As run blockers they're high-effort players who latch on and fight. So far it sounds like average play from the tight ends which is a marked improvement over last season.

I'll get more into the quarterbacks later in the week, but Sam Ehlinger and Shane Buechele are making more downfield throws than they have previously against this defense. It's not just Johnson making plays either, as Brennan Eagles has stepped things up from the spring and made some very impressive receptions. He's showing his eval by using his big body to make contested catches. If he continues to develop that's big for depth as XWR is thin.

I continue to hear good things about Lil'Jordan Humphrey. Going forward if I don't write much about him it's because he's a known stud.

I think we know quite a bit about the defensive line. Its strength thus far is pass rushing. With linebacker being somewhat of question mark, playing the run will be the big defensive concern heading into the season.

Prior to camp Gary Johnson has worked Rover, F-backer, B-backer, and Mac, but he's locked in at Rover now. There's a robust competition going on right now at Mac, with Wheeler's half game suspension versus Maryland spicing things up a bit. There you have the senior rotating with Malcolm Roach and Jeffrey McCulloch.

For 2018 versatility will have to create depth at the position. Roach is also working at B-backer where I think he'd start if Wheeler wasn't suspended. He's still being used at times as a stand-up d-end flanking Omenihu.

As stated, the team has worked base 4-3 in preparation for Maryland's running attack, though we'll likely see Nickel more often than not.

If things hold in the secondary, PJ Locke is going to get a web redemption at Nickel versus Maryland. He's currently ahead of Josh Thompson after previously repping at boundary safety. Caden Sterns at boundary safety seems permanent, at least for this season. He's ball-hawking and balling out. It's always telling to find out when players you suspect of being great intersect with average/good ones. The sooner that intersection occurs, the greater the player (or the lesser the other one is). Sterns is going to be a monster and I'm already laughing at those in the inevitable game thread lambasting him for an early coverage bust as overrated.

Brandon Jones has a tight lock on field safety still, but it's fun hearing about the young safeties behind him, including DeMarvion Overshown. He is already throwing his body around (understatement) and covering ground quickly. Coaches are excited to see him when they go full pads.

Davante Davis seems to be fully engaged and could be on the verge of a good season. He sure looks the part.

We've been asked about punt returner. D'shawn Jamison has looked both comfortable receiving and shown head-turning speed, but we'll see how he looks under live fire. First indications are encouraging, though. Remember, if he isn't back there early, it's because the coaches just don't trust him in that situation yet. He's also repping on kick return.

Jerrod Heard and Brandon Jones have also worked at punt return. If Jones is good enough to return punts I'm going to be even more confused on his lack of ball skills.

A lot of the freshmen, who had to overcome their off-season physical wall, are already hitting a mental wall. Their heads are swimming as they have to process their duties much quicker. Players are quizzed on roles but on the field things are moving almost at the pace of a game.

We know this is all #zerosum, but I'm mildly encouraged by what I've heard so far. This sounds like a league competitive team, not just a league competitive defense.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TexasTroll said:

Soon to be standard equipment in all

F.C.F.F games.

( full contact flag football)

Football has to change or die. The sport will look very different a decade from now, because the alternative is not to have it any more.

19 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT Kool-Aid team notes

Hide contents

Practice began last Friday with the team in shorts and shirts for the first two days.

On Sunday, the team wore shoulder pads so the physicality was turned up another notch. Speaking of protective wear, if you've seen pictures from practice you've noticed the team wearing an extra shell over their helmets. It's nice to see Herman take extra precautions for the players. It also underlines just how physical things are about to get.

The team will hit a wall eventually before the staff backs off a little, but for now practices have been fast paced and energetic. The coaches are very happy with intensity and effort levels.

This camp is already different than any of the three previous practice blocs Herman has held in that I'm already hearing some positives about the offense.

Collin Johnson versus Kris Boyd serves as a microcosm of the give and take nature of camp thus far. Both Johnson and Boyd are making their share of plays on each other. From a baseline talent standpoint, that's early round NFL on early round NFL.

My main takeaway after talking to a few people is that the offense is showing immediate improvement.

Let's set the stage.

The offense is still mainly in 11 personnel. They have run some 10 which so far is just a dead giveaway they intend to pass.

The defense has been mainly base or nickel.

As I wrote on Friday, Todd Orlando intends to keep his defense as simple as possible versus Maryland, with the same defense he's using now; base or nickel.

The offensive line is better at run blocking at this point, though the big plays are coming on deeper throws in those give-and-take scenarios. By no means are they running well on the defense, but they are gaining some traction.

Calvin Anderson has been rotating with the ones during scrimmage work and I'm hearing very favorable things. While he's still adapting to the speed and athleticism of the pass rush, he's very strong, plays with good leverage and is quick off the ball in the run-game. There was an expletive or two to describe his play strength and quickness.

Over on the other side, Derek Kerstetter has a stranglehold on right tackle. He, along with Elijah Rodriguez, have both been working at back-up center to familiarize themselves with the position in case they're needed.

Rodriguez is in a bit of a battle for snaps, but not with who we expected. Rather than Patrick Hudson, Tope Imade is the player pushing him and he has received 1st team snaps in scrimmage work. I'm still expecting Rodriguez to hold on to the job, but we'll see how camp goes.

Hudson is working behind Patrick Vahe at left guard and taking 2nd team reps solely. I'm sure there's a good reason for him repping where there seemingly isn't playing time, but I'm not sure what that is just yet.

Overall this group has improved at run blocking and they're getting better at picking up blitzes. Having healthy tight ends doesn't hurt, though they have their struggles at times, especially when they stay inline versus the pass. As run blockers they're high-effort players who latch on and fight. So far it sounds like average play from the tight ends which is a marked improvement over last season.

I'll get more into the quarterbacks later in the week, but Sam Ehlinger and Shane Buechele are making more downfield throws than they have previously against this defense. It's not just Johnson making plays either, as Brennan Eagles has stepped things up from the spring and made some very impressive receptions. He's showing his eval by using his big body to make contested catches. If he continues to develop that's big for depth as XWR is thin.

I continue to hear good things about Lil'Jordan Humphrey. Going forward if I don't write much about him it's because he's a known stud.

I think we know quite a bit about the defensive line. Its strength thus far is pass rushing. With linebacker being somewhat of question mark, playing the run will be the big defensive concern heading into the season.

Prior to camp Gary Johnson has worked Rover, F-backer, B-backer, and Mac, but he's locked in at Rover now. There's a robust competition going on right now at Mac, with Wheeler's half game suspension versus Maryland spicing things up a bit. There you have the senior rotating with Malcolm Roach and Jeffrey McCulloch.

For 2018 versatility will have to create depth at the position. Roach is also working at B-backer where I think he'd start if Wheeler wasn't suspended. He's still being used at times as a stand-up d-end flanking Omenihu.

As stated, the team has worked base 4-3 in preparation for Maryland's running attack, though we'll likely see Nickel more often than not.

If things hold in the secondary, PJ Locke is going to get a web redemption at Nickel versus Maryland. He's currently ahead of Josh Thompson after previously repping at boundary safety. Caden Sterns at boundary safety seems permanent, at least for this season. He's ball-hawking and balling out. It's always telling to find out when players you suspect of being great intersect with average/good ones. The sooner that intersection occurs, the greater the player (or the lesser the other one is). Sterns is going to be a monster and I'm already laughing at those in the inevitable game thread lambasting him for an early coverage bust as overrated.

Brandon Jones has a tight lock on field safety still, but it's fun hearing about the young safeties behind him, including DeMarvion Overshown. He is already throwing his body around (understatement) and covering ground quickly. Coaches are excited to see him when they go full pads.

Davante Davis seems to be fully engaged and could be on the verge of a good season. He sure looks the part.

We've been asked about punt returner. D'shawn Jamison has looked both comfortable receiving and shown head-turning speed, but we'll see how he looks under live fire. First indications are encouraging, though. Remember, if he isn't back there early, it's because the coaches just don't trust him in that situation yet. He's also repping on kick return.

Jerrod Heard and Brandon Jones have also worked at punt return. If Jones is good enough to return punts I'm going to be even more confused on his lack of ball skills.

A lot of the freshmen, who had to overcome their off-season physical wall, are already hitting a mental wall. Their heads are swimming as they have to process their duties much quicker. Players are quizzed on roles but on the field things are moving almost at the pace of a game.

We know this is all #zerosum, but I'm mildly encouraged by what I've heard so far. This sounds like a league competitive team, not just a league competitive defense.

I'm almost certain the term "showing his eval" will be the new "plus athlete" when it comes to describing players. 

"This camp is already different than any of the three previous practice blocs Herman has held in that I'm already hearing some positives about the offense."

Ah, there it is. This time, it's different. This time its more intense! This time, the coaches are coaching better!

Just complete and total crap all of this is. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

"This camp is already different than any of the three previous practice blocs Herman has held in that I'm already hearing some positives about the offense."

Ah, there it is. This time, it's different. This time its more intense! This time, the coaches are coaching better!

Just complete and total crap all of this is. 

Something, and Finish. 

1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:

Todd Orlando intends to keep his defense as simple as possible versus Maryland, with the same defense he's using now; base or nickel.

How the fuck would Nalin or any 9.95er know this at this time? 

12 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

Fairy Tale Spinners

Just remember we were able to swoop in and get Del Conte without a single one of those "plugged in insider" knuckleheads catching wind of it.

13 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

Hahahahahaha. You cannot be serious?

Nahlin has been making shit up and stating it as fact for a good long while, at this point. It's so obvious that all of the $9.95ers are disconnected from access to the program that it's almost painful, if not hilarious. At least Nahlin talks to recruits. Same for the TFB guys. Orangebloods is pure trash with laughably bad recruiting and team coverage, and Holland is in the tank with street agents at 247 and his dumbass doesn't understand it. These guys have nothing coming to them from the staff or extensions of the staff on anything, and may that please  last.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Dude. They literally just make it up now. 

Yeah, but they will be right. We kept the defense simple in the spring to help the offense. We have started the same way this fall. Orlando will begin to implement the more exotic blitzes and stuff, but I doubt it will be ready against Maryland. We will try to win without showing much on defense.

8 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Well, yes, but to be fair, it was about this time last year that the OL started dropping like flies, too.

We lost ERod and Andrew Beck before the Maryland game. Was that the difference between championship caliber and dogshit?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He said that in a press conference, yes. I believe he compared it to the one he won the championship with at Ohio State.

Here's the quote:

“Excitingly I think our strength on both sides of the ball is the line, offensive and defensive lines,” Herman said on Monday. “I think we still need to find a consistent, productive right tackle. Those other four guys may be the national championship year at Ohio State that I was a part of, that might be the only other offensive line that could compare with these guys. So I'm excited to see them play.”

19 minutes ago, Domedriver said:

My biggest angst about the Horns is who is going to be the next Bertlesen, Wooster, Rosie Leaks, Earl, Metcalf, or even my, “I want my job back! Fozzy!”  I want me some running back.  Just saying.

May God Bless us with a Ricky II!

I'd settle for a Kenny Hayter at this point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sejjr said:

It’s a decent guess bc MD will be starting a running QB and it’s the first game of the season. The risk of being wrong is low and these types of statements can then add to credibility if proven right. Frankly, I thought hayden_horn proved how easy it was to make up these practice reports out of whole cloth last season 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, but they will be right. We kept the defense simple in the spring to help the offense. We have started the same way this fall. Orlando will begin to implement the more exotic blitzes and stuff, but I doubt it will be ready against Maryland. We will try to win without showing much on defense.

Uh, I am sure we will do whatever it takes to beat Maryland. You know, the team that beat the shit out of us at home last year. 

5 hours ago, Newy25 said:

He is actually a stud and it is actually a shame he cannot stay healthy. 

Yeah, I totally remember a play where he looked like a stud. What was it, Tceh from 2 years ago? He may have gotten probably got hurt on that play, though.

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

Uh, I am sure we will do whatever it takes to beat Maryland. You know, the team that beat the shit out of us at home last year. 

This right fucking here. There is zero chance we will be holding back jack shit after the public humiliation of last seasons' game, and the fact those same bastards who beat our ass are all back and healthy this year, minus DJ Moore. I just found that statement by Nalin to be particularly idiotic, whether we decide to play a 4 man front or some groovy shit nobody has ever seen before, we need to treat Maryland like the most important game on the schedule because it fucking is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

For the one guy who seemed to be pre-panicking about Green

"Quiet confidence" can be passed on to a third party that doesn't witness it so they can then quietly and confidently pass it on to fourth parties, I guess. What the fuck?

"In hushed tones, behind closed doors, there are whispers that down the road, maybe Jalen Green could get drafted too. Do not say this at normal decibel levels, but make sure it is assertively but softly spoken to the $9.95ers. We need to get this kind of info, quietly, out to the masses. " 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

"Quiet confidence" can be passed on to a third party that doesn't witness it so they can then quietly and confidently pass it on to fourth parties, I guess. What the fuck?

"In hushed tones, behind closed doors, there are whispers that down the road, maybe Jalen Green could get drafted too. Do not say this at normal decibel levels, but make sure it is assertively but softly spoken to the $9.95ers. We need to get this kind of info, quietly, out to the masses. " 

tumblr_p5os4jshR11rrkahjo2_540.gif