Coaches Preseason Top 25

TrashMaster G

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/coaches-poll-top-25-alabama-sits-at-no-1-in-the-preseason-edition-miami-opens-at-no-8/

1. Alabama (61 first-place votes)
2. Clemson (3)
3. Ohio State (1)
4. Georgia
5. Oklahoma
6. Washington
7. Wisconsin
8. Miami
9. Penn State
10. Auburn
11. Notre Dame
12. Michigan State
13. Stanford
14. Michigan
15. USC
16. TCU
17. Virginia Tech
18. Mississippi State
19. Florida State
20. West Virginia
21. Texas
22. Boise State
23. UCF
24. LSU
25. Oklahoma State

17 minutes ago, CowboyFred said:

okay with Texas being ranked but also would’ve been okay had we not been ranked.

I don't think we deserve it right now, but it's always good for generating a couple of texaggy  bitch threads.  I'm sure the fact that they have one of 4 3 active coaches with a natty was mentioned once or twice and should have been ranked was mentioned once or twice in them too.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/coaches-poll-top-25-alabama-sits-at-no-1-in-the-preseason-edition-miami-opens-at-no-8/

1. Alabama (61 first-place votes)
2. Clemson (3)
3. Ohio State (1)
4. Georgia
5. Oklahoma
6. Washington
7. Wisconsin
8. Miami
9. Penn State
10. Auburn
11. Notre Dame
12. Michigan State
13. Stanford
14. Michigan
15. USC
16. TCU
17. Virginia Tech
18. Mississippi State
19. Florida State
20. West Virginia
21. Texas
22. Boise State
23. UCF
24. LSU
25. Oklahoma State

VIDEOBOMB.gif

28 minutes ago, CowboyFred said:

Lol aggy

Lol LSU

okay with Texas being ranked but also would’ve been okay had we not been ranked.

It's absurd that we're ranked, but I'll take it. I've said all along I think we win 9+, even with the shit show of an offensive staff. That considered, it's legit to not have us ranked. It's been a weird thing in reading all of the preseason magazines as well. They don't really rank Texas at all in their unit rankings, and very few players get any pub in the same magazines, and then they'll have us ranked around #20 overall in their preseason rankings. It's weird. I think they're underrating the returning talent, but whatever.

• Like 1

Damnit. This worked so well last season, so why not preseason rank us high again when we’ve done nothing to deserve it?

Not sure how a team that is now trying to avoid its 9th consecutive season being under its regular season o/u wins (8.5 for 2018) is always given this much credit. IMO it has done nothing but go straight to the he players’ heads

hell, not even the baseball team was preseason top 25 this past season, and they’re actually a program that deserves that type of benefit of the doubt

• Fuck You 5

10 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Uhhmm, I will say it, Ohio State is too highly ranked if Urban is not at the helm, asn other coaches are lightly looking for other positions for next year...

They've been a winning machine. Likely Schiano to HC but if they bring someone else in, why would you mess with what has been working?? They recruit well, coach well, get paid well and win? Don't foresee much turnover there. 

The poll is generally easy to understand. One subtlety is the presence of alternate spellings of Texas A&M. Being one of only three programs led by a championship-winning coach, they are known publicly as much by their leader this year as by their historically traditional program. As such, two classic alternate championship-coach spellings are in use: A-L-A-B-A-M-A and F-L-O-R-I-D-A S-T-A-T-E. 

6 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

They've been a winning machine. Likely Schiano to HC but if they bring someone else in, why would you mess with what has been working?? They recruit well, coach well, get paid well and win? Don't foresee much turnover there. 

Someone brought up a good point yesterday on Schiano, in that the Tennessee "non-hire", may have tarnished his name when compounded by staff possibly knowing of these charges...

31 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Likely Schiano to HC but if they bring someone else in, why would you mess with what has been working??

Ryan Day has already been named interim. If Ohio State gives Urban the boot, would they change the guy in charge this season?

35 minutes ago, horngasm said:

This is Washington's year.

The rest of the PAC teams are in rebuilding year.

I don't like the fact that Stanford has to go to Washington this year, but even though Washington returns a lot, Stanford does too.  Costello made some Ehlinger-style mistakes last year but he did pretty well against Washington last year. 

If Stanford's D sucks this year Washington is going to roll.  If not, I think no one emerges  with 0 losses  in the conference. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I don't think we deserve it right now, but it's always good for generating a couple of texaggy  bitch threads.  I'm sure the fact that they have one of 4 3 active coaches with a natty was mentioned once or twice and should have been ranked was mentioned once or twice in them too.

Definitely this 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It's absurd that we're ranked, but I'll take it. I've said all along I think we win 9+, even with the shit show of an offensive staff. That considered, it's legit to not have us ranked. It's been a weird thing in reading all of the preseason magazines as well. They don't really rank Texas at all in their unit rankings, and very few players get any pub in the same magazines, and then they'll have us ranked around #20 overall in their preseason rankings. It's weird. I think they're underrating the returning talent, but whatever.

Also agree with everything here.

30 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I don't like the fact that Stanford has to go to Washington this year, but even though Washington returns a lot, Stanford does too.  Costello made some Ehlinger-style mistakes last year but he did pretty well against Washington last year. 

If Stanford's D sucks this year Washington is going to roll.  If not, I think no one emerges  with 0 losses  in the conference. 

This is correct... I think.  The feeling here is that there's a strong likelihood that the Pac will once again be left out of the playoffs- Stanford and USC are also solid but we just beat each other up in this conference. It's what we do.

I'm hopeful that by the time Stanford comes to Seattle the UW has figured out how to defend the jump ball to tall receivers. They sure as hell didn't know how in Palo Alto last year. 

31 minutes ago, RowdyVic said:

I think the texas bowl win and the recruiting class is helping our rankings. It doesnt bother me if we are ranked or not. Either way we have to earn our way back into the spotlight.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Ranked Texas vs. top-ten USC is a lock for College Gameday, so that'll be a ton of fun.

OU has a pretty soft OOC schedule this season, but I'd love to see them drop 2 or 3 games in the conference. They're plugging in a QB who is a massive downgrade and hasn't demonstrated the ability to do anything but run with the ball.

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

We've come a long way in the last decade to be ranked without a QB.  I guess people trust that the system will work and we'll be pretty good.   Our running game should be really good this year, especially if we have a competent QB.

Or maybe they just figure Gundy has a magic hat full of pretty decent QBs and he'll just pull another one out of there.

4 hours ago, flatdawgs said:

This is correct... I think.  The feeling here is that there's a strong likelihood that the Pac will once again be left out of the playoffs- Stanford and USC are also solid but we just beat each other up in this conference. It's what we do. 

Secsecsec talking points, I like it. 

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

So you think they’re underrating the talent, they all have us ranked, we’ll win 9+ wins, and yet it’s absurd we’re ranked. Makes perfect sense. 

7 minutes ago, Shmitty said:

This should be a good year for college football.  And let's not forget that BAMA now has a good passing QB it appears but never wins the title when starting out #1.  

All years are good years for college football.

Except 2008.  For me.  Most of y'all liked it juuuuuuust fine.

7 minutes ago, Shmitty said:

We'll get a better idea after y'all play Auburn.  

Indeed.  Long way to go for a home game, but there you are.

Thought around here is that if UW loses to Auburn, even going undefeated the remainder of the way probably won't get us in.  Lot of baggage being carried right now by both the conference and the Huskies.

Looking forward to the trip down there in a few weeks though!

5 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

Indeed.  Long way to go for a home game, but there you are.

Thought around here is that if UW loses to Auburn, even going undefeated the remainder of the way probably won't get us in.  Lot of baggage being carried right now by both the conference and the Huskies.

Looking forward to the trip down there in a few weeks though!

I think y'all beat Auburn.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

So you think they’re underrating the talent, they all have us ranked, we’ll win 9+ wins, and yet it’s absurd we’re ranked. Makes perfect sense. 

I realize that without explicitly stated paint-by-numbers logic, your slow-thinking ass won’t be able to piece it together, but most folks above a 3rd grade reading level have retained the concept of context clues. The context here for you, since you seem lost, is that Texas has sucked for 8 years and made the voters look foolish every time previously for putting us in the top 25. Now we’re ranked yet again without having done anything.  Hence, it’s absurd. 

I am not sure why you occasionally forget to just avoid me and show up to pull the bookshelf on top of yourself by weakly talking shit. It can’t be rewarding to you. I tend to ignore you because you’re just not very entertaining, humorous or informative, yet we are again because of you’re inability to keep the soft helmet on and stay safely within your assigned padded room. 

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I realize that without explicitly stated paint-by-numbers logic, your slow-thinking ass won’t be able to piece it together, but most folks above a 3rd grade reading level have retained the concept of context clues. The context here for you, since you seem lost, is that Texas has sucked for 8 years and made the voters look foolish every time previously for putting us in the top 25. Now we’re ranked yet again without having done anything.  Hence, it’s absurd. 

I am not sure why you occasionally forget to just avoid me and show up to pull the bookshelf on top of yourself by weakly talking shit. It can’t be rewarding to you. I tend to ignore you because you’re just not very entertaining, humorous or informative, yet we are again because of you’re inability to keep the soft helmet on and stay safely within your assigned padded room. 

Ha. Okay Mr. Contradictory. Nice response Derka. 

6 hours ago, texifornia said:

Ranked Texas vs. top-ten USC is a lock for College Gameday, so that'll be a ton of fun.

Should this happen and there isn't someone nearby with a snarky cesspool sign and heckling the fuck out of Herby for the entire 3 hours of the show, I'll be disappointed. 

On 8/2/2018 at 9:09 PM, BigHorn'13 said:

Should this happen and there isn't someone nearby with a snarky cesspool sign and heckling the fuck out of Herby for the entire 3 hours of the show, I'll be disappointed. 

That might also depend on where TCU and tOSU are both ranked that night when they play in Jerry World.  Might be a close call between these two games.  

On 8/2/2018 at 3:08 PM, 'stache said:

We've come a long way in the last decade to be ranked without a QB.  I guess people trust that the system will work and we'll be pretty good.   Our running game should be really good this year, especially if we have a competent QB.

Oklahoma State under Gundy has shown a competence in finding ways to maximize the efforts of all players on offense... The problem is usually been on defense, for the most part...

Oklahoma State under Gundy has shown a competence in finding ways to maximize the efforts of all players on offense... The problem is usually been on defense, for the most part...

fbb02d391db3d05183b728b2c2fd4c3f.jpg

You seem to have significant insight into the game of american college football.
  • Haha 1

On 8/2/2018 at 11:14 AM, kopp0e said:

Someone brought up a good point yesterday on Schiano, in that the Tennessee "non-hire", may have tarnished his name when compounded by staff possibly knowing of these charges...

Of course if it is Schiano, and if he wins, Tennessee will have fully realized their descent into the Ninth Circle of Hell. 

6 hours ago, Miskatonic ‘01 said:

Of course if it is Schiano, and if he wins, Tennessee will have fully realized their descent into the Ninth Circle of Hell. 

That would be both hilarious & sad at the same time, as the school botched the former ad from not only Schaino, but Leach as well, when the current ad overthrew the latter...