Want to be a UT contractor? Pledge your loyalty to Israel

Gil Bang

11 minutes ago, LongestHorn said:

Austin elementary school speech pathologist of 9 years just lost her job for not signing the Israel boycott oath.

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/texas-speech-pathologist-reportedly-fired-from-schools-for-not-signing-anti-bds-oath-1.6750517

Since the article doesn't say, the school district is Pflugerville. She sued Pflugerville ISD and Ken Paxton. I would imagine Yeakel or Pittman should make pretty quick work of this.

Edited by DanRydell

6 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

Since the article doesn't say, the school district is Pflugerville. She sued Pflugerville ISD and Ken Paxton. I would imagine Yeakel or Pittman should make pretty quick work of this.

Both sides of the analysis are out there for the picking -- the court won't even have to do much additional work.  Just pick the approach the court thinks is correct, and send it to the 5th circuit. We'll see what happens there.

1 hour ago, LongestHorn said:

Austin elementary school speech pathologist of 9 years just lost her job for not signing the Israel boycott oath.

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/texas-speech-pathologist-reportedly-fired-from-schools-for-not-signing-anti-bds-oath-1.6750517

quote from the article:

However, Texas enacted an anti-BDS law in May 2017, prohibiting contracts with companies that boycott Israel.

Don't the majority of Arab companies, if not countries, officially refuse to do business with Israel?  I assume the state of Texas refuses to work with Saudi Aramco, since they won't directly do business with Israel.

So, how much is PfISD going to have to pay litigating this bullshit? Seems like our state legislators and AG sure enjoy making us pay for loser lawsuits.

6 minutes ago, tchookem said:
4 hours ago, DanRydell said:

So, how much is PfISD going to have to pay litigating this bullshit? Seems like our state legislators and AG sure enjoy making us pay for loser lawsuits.

Because the ISD was following the state law, the AG will probably provide the defense. 

the amount of bureaucratic overhead this has created in the management of statewide contracts is unbelievable. as in, i did not believe it until i sat in two lengthy work sessions last week to strategize on ways to streamline processes. the number of times this was brought up as a roadblock was just insane.  i had no idea. 

gotdamn this is stupid. 

Edited by mchookem

30 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

If not, the district is probably a member of the TASB Risk Pool so the costs are being spread among the 1000 member districts.

Yeah I figured there was something like this too. Taxpayers rarely seem to bear the burden of governmental litigation, at least directly. Rather in the form of premiums to this and TML and similar insurance pools. 

12 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

PfISD is now releasing “don’t blame us” statements because they are getting bombarded with negativity about this. In addition to being completely ridiculous, this law is now taking the time an energy away from the real purpose of school districts and other employers.

I don't blame PfISD.

I blame the dipshits who voted in the politicians (including Abbot) who passed this legislation. 

Which is most of Texas.

18 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I love it when the vocal minority moan and gnash their teeth about how all their neighbors, family, and friends (statistically speaking) are idiots and the worst people in the world. Good stuff, good stuff.

Just because there are more of certain types of folks in a particular location doesn't mean those people aren't complete fucking morons.

For example, a majority of Oklahomans are Sooner fans.  "Idiot" can be a mighty popular brand.  Okie has Sooners.  We have Abbott/Patrick voters.  Even if all but one Texan voted for those two, everyone but that Texan would be really fucking wrong.  

Volume and numbers don't make a position right.  Being right makes a position right.

The First Amendment was there before Abbott and his mouthbreathers, it will be there after.  And Abbott is helping secure his spot in history as a footnote, among the list of "absolute idiots who tried to fuck the Constitution to pander to other idiots."

Further proof that when an American identifies as a "libertarian" he means that he's a reactionary who doesn't like going to church.

In short, this story is being widely misreported, the hysterical claims that Amawi is being forced to sign a pro-Israel pledge or personally do or not do anything in particular regarding Israel outside the context of her business are false, and the First Amendment lawsuit will almost certainly lose. Moreover, it's nearly impossible to think of a way in which Ms. Amawi's speech pathology business would ever have an opportunity to in any way boycott or otherwise economically harm Israel, rendering this pure political theater.

https://reason.com/volokh/2018/12/18/everyone-is-misreporting-the-texas-bds-l

Funny how functionally similar laws in Arizona and Kansas have been blocked by the courts, and those laws are mentioned nowhere in this article.

• Like 2

This is, seriously, the most bizarre thing I've ever heard of in Texas governance, and I've known about it for quite a long time. At least a year or so. I mean, what the fuck? You have to pledge allegiance to a foreign government to do business with the state of Texas? Can anyone tell me why, or how this came to be? Who sat down in a smoke-filled room and thought this would be a good idea?

10 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

This is, seriously, the most bizarre thing I've ever heard of in Texas governance, and I've known about it for quite a long time. At least a year or so. I mean, what the fuck? You have to pledge allegiance to a foreign government to do business with the state of Texas? Can anyone tell me why, or how this came to be? Who sat down in a smoke-filled room and thought this would be a good idea?

There is an extensive amount of pro-Israeli lobbying in the US, and almost zero lobbying for the US on the pro-Palestinian side.  There is also a tremendous amount of anti-Muslim and anti-Arab bigotry on the right, which can be channeled through support for Israel.  That's what they mean when they say Israel "shares our values" along with the fact that, like us, they are a settler-colonial nation, and thus we must stick together.  

Edited by Fozzz
  • Like 1

1) Israel lobby.
2) Evangelicals, who have eschatological reasons, love Israel.
3) Because of 2, no legislator was willing to vote against this.
For real. In private, that’s exactly what several of them have said. You can’t vote against something pro-Israel, because that means you hate evangelical Jesus.
The thinking here was not complex.

5 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

There is an extensive amount of pro-Israeli lobbying in the US, and almost zero lobbying for the US on the pro-Palestinian side.  There is also a tremendous amount of anti-Muslim and anti-Arab bigotry on the right, which can be channeled through support for Israel.  That's what they mean when they say Israel "shares our values" along with the fact that, like us, they are a settler-colonial nation, and thus we must stick together.  

I did about a year as a kibbutz volunteer over there. I am not Jewish, nor is my English ex-wife, who was over there with me. 1993-94. That was a different Israel. Rabin was in office. There was the Oslo handshake. Things were looking pretty good the whole time we were there, even if everyone was carrying an Uzi and there were fighter pilots busting the sonic barrier overheard on the daily. And there was the odd security alert on both of the two kibbutzim we were on -- flares and shit like that, signaling the possibility that we were being bombarded by rockets from either Jordan, on our first kibbutz, or Syria / Lebanon, on our second. All false alarms. 

The Israelis told us that fighters were of no consequence. But helicopters? That was different. I remember the very day my ex and I left Kibbutz Kfar Blum, a long line of choppers came chuckling south out of the Bekaa Valley in Lebanon, carrying the remains of an IDF platoon that had been ambushed by Hezbollah. It was right before Purim, and our Jewish friends and acquaintances  were urging us to stay, because that is a very fun holiday. However, this year, it set off Baruch Goldstein, who within days of our departure, went to a mosque in Hebron and mowed down 29 Palestinians.

And then, another intifada.

And then, the assassination of Rabin.

And now, it's still a fucking mess. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I did about a year as a kibbutz volunteer over there. I am not Jewish, nor is my English ex-wife, who was over there with me. 1993-94. That was a different Israel. Rabin was in office. There was the Oslo handshake. Things were looking pretty good the whole time we were there, even if everyone was carrying an Uzi and there were fighter pilots busting the sonic barrier overheard on the daily. And there was the odd security alert on both of the two kibbutzim we were on -- flares and shit like that, signaling the possibility that we were being bombarded by rockets from either Jordan, on our first kibbutz, or Syria / Lebanon, on our second. All false alarms. 

The Israelis told us that fighters were of no consequence. But helicopters? That was different. I remember the very day my ex and I left Kibbutz Kfar Blum, a long line of choppers came chuckling south out of the Bekaa Valley in Lebanon, carrying the remains of an IDF platoon that had been ambushed by Hezbollah. It was right before Purim, and our Jewish friends and acquaintances  were urging us to stay, because that is a very fun holiday. However, this year, it set off Baruch Goldstein, who within days of our departure, went to a mosque in Hebron and mowed down 29 Palestinians.

And then, another intifada.

And then, the assassination of Rabin.

And now, it's still a fucking mess. 

???

The second intifada was in 2000, 5 years after that lunatic Yigal Amir gunned down Rabin

1 hour ago, hpslugga said:

???

The second intifada was in 2000, 5 years after that lunatic Yigal Amir gunned down Rabin

Well, it was kind of a mini-Intifada. Seriously, I was there for the better part of a year and there were almost no incidents the entire time. Then Goldstein ramped shit up right after we left.