2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

23 hours ago, Scraps said:

Astros offense through 36 games AVG: .251 (10th in MLB, 7th in AL) OBP: .328 (6th, 4th) SLG: .395 (20th, 13th) MLB average is .244/.318/.402

this shit is cool if you want to finish 81-81.  Time to quit being avg.  That SLG% makes me weep.  

Well after last night we are now avg: .258(6th mlb, 5th AL) OBP: .335(tied for 3rd in MLB and tied for 1st in AL w Yankees) SLG: .408 (tied for 14th in MLB and 11th in AL)

48 minutes ago, Scraps said:

uhhh you need to go back and work on Gattis some more then 

what are you talking about? He got a hit, what more can you ask from Gattis?

https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2018/5/8/17330170/recap-astros-clobber-as-springer-history

Evan Gattis had a notable performance because he got a hit (his first since April 27)! Hoping to see a few more of these from Gattis before season’s end.

last night was fun and all, but would be really encouraging to see us back it up again with a more consistent showing at the plate throughout the game. seems like when we think we're about to roll offensively, we roll the fuck over and can't do anything. would be nice to see us start making more quality at bats, swing at strikes, and not try to hit a 5 run homer every inning. 

• Like 1

Can we just give Springer the cycle?

Double

HR

Single

3 more singles = a triple

It also appears we have 1 relief pitcher too many, because the starters are so damn good. These guys are currently getting 1-2 appearances a week, which may explain why they are too inconsistent.

Edited by HtownHorn

13 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

last night was fun and all, but would be really encouraging to see us back it up again with a more consistent showing at the plate throughout the game. seems like when we think we're about to roll offensively, we roll the fuck over and can't do anything. would be nice to see us start making more quality at bats, swing at strikes, and not try to hit a 5 run homer every inning. 

Well according to the stat that UtexasFight posted last night, we've only had it happen 4 times this season.  Need to get some consistency going.

The Astros have scored 95% of their total runs this season in 4 games and the other 5% in the other 33 games[/unquote]

51 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Can we just give Springer the cycle?

Double

HR

Single

3 more singles = a triple

It also appears we have 1 relief pitcher too many, because the starters are so damn good. These guys are currently getting 1-2 appearances a week, which may explain why they are too inconsistent.

You don’t think having a guy who pitches an inning a week in massive blowouts isn’t worth including on the 25 man roster?  

it's not necessarily the  run productions i'm concerned about, it's the quality of all the at-bats that make up the game. we've seen way too many counts or at-bats where we're down 0-1, or 0-2, looking at cock-shots down the middle. we're getting pitched backwards a lot too this year, probably more than i can remember, and that has a lot to do with it. even when we get into hitters counts: especially 2-0 or 3-1, we're getting more and more off speed and teams are using our over-aggresiveness and lack of disciple against us. i mean fuck, how many times has altuve struck out swinging at shit all over the plate, or marwin look at FBs down the middle only to see him strike out swinging at offspeed stuff in the dirt, with him going down to one knee

that is probably the most frustrating part about our offense this year, which is why it was refreshing to see us string hits, but more importantly hard contact across the field last night. we'll come around - at some point (i hope?) - but it may not be as dramatic as it was last season but with our SP that's okay. I do think there's a handful of moves we'll make before we see the final incarnation of this year's team. shit, last year we had Nor Aoki playing with us into late July....any chance we can get him back? 

3 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

You don’t think having a guy who pitches an inning a week in massive blowouts isn’t worth including on the 25 man roster?  

we can have JD Davis do that and he can also swing the bat

1 hour ago, Ldogg53 said:

Well according to the stat that UtexasFight posted last night, we've only had it happen 4 times this season.  Need to get some consistency going.

that 4/33 game thing is wrong

right?

Even though neither of them command that much salary, there just isn’t a huge need to make those moves right now - they have the best run differential in baseball with both those guys on the 25 man. Sucks though for Davis and White because they’ve certainly earned MLB playing time. Fresno is pergatory for players like that. 

i'm not entirely sold on our RD - outside of the big series against CWS, have we really outscored the opposition by that much, and again last night? I'm not looking up stats but just wondering. 

9 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

i'm not entirely sold on our RD - outside of the big series against CWS, have we really outscored the opposition by that much, and again last night? I'm not looking up stats but just wondering. 

Yeah not buying it for now either

we’re +39 in the 4 games you mentioned 

+38 in the other 33

(there is your 4/33 game stat)

...Although I’m guessing you’d find something similar if you did this for most other teams...wonder what the Red Sox— +67 overall—would show as well if you isolated their largest 4 RD games

Edited by UTexasFight

2 hours ago, Mez2 said:

This is where I am.

I’m looking forward to see if last night carries over against Manaea tonight.

Tomorrow we’ll rip the Aggie so don’t expect to learn much there

Edited by UTexasFight

We are averaging 6.69 runs in our wins and 2.34 in our losses. We've scored 10+ five times. We've lost four games where we scored 5+. So far we have feasted on bad pitching and often have looked lost against decent to good pitching.

After taking a cursory glance at the pitchers who took losses against us, I don't know that we have recorded a win against anyone who is above average. Our best showing against a decent pitcher was against Tanaka. We scored 3 against him, but were shutout going into the seventh. 

We will almost certainly win the division, but home field will be tough if we don't see significant improvement from the offense. I expect we'll be looking for a bat at the deadline if this continues. I'm just not sure who we will be willing to give up and what type of return we can expect for them. As much as I would like to see Ted get some MLB ABs, I'd rather not hang our hopes on a rookie performing well in the playoffs. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor

As much as we all love Altuve (literally), we need to start getting more offense out of him. I know we all expect him to rev up any time now, but it really needs to happen. For a while now he's been yanking a lot of outside pitches into 6-3 outs. We need him spraying the ball more, as has been his historical MO. I suspect the power will crank up soon, but even if it doesn't, we need him to really set the table more frequently than he has so far.

I have this feeling that when Jose struggles to hit the ball hard and make things happen on the basepaths, it has a disproportionate impact on the rest of our offense. Not saying I'm sure the other guys get deflated when he fails to hit the ball hard, but it seems that way. 

1 hour ago, huge said:

that 4/33 game thing is wrong

right?

Apparently so as he admitted.  So I looked at the actual stats for shits and giggles.  

182 Runs scored in 2018

57 runs scored in 5 games.  So that's 31.3% of the runs accounted for in 13.5% of the games. (10 runs or more)

75 runs scored in 7 games.  So that's 41.2% of the runs accounted for in 18.9% of the games. (9 runs or more)

107 runs scored in 11 games.  So that's 58.7% of the runs accounted for in 29.7% of the games. (8 runs or more)

8 runs scored in 11 games.  So that's 4.3% of our runs accounted for in 29.7% of our games. (0/1 runs)

If you go with the 8 runs metric it reveals a fairly even distribution between complete suckage, plenty of offensive firepower, and more normal scoring levels.  But basically 60% of our games are either feast or famine.  That for sure is affecting our perception. 

Edited - had brainfart resulting in typo as I started backwards.

Edited by Ldogg53

1 minute ago, Ldogg53 said:

Apparently so as he admitted.  So I looked at the actual stats for shits and giggles.  

182 Runs scored in 2018

107 runs scored in 5 games.  So that's 58.7% of the runs accounted for in 13.5% of the games. (10 runs or more)

125 runs scored in 7 games.  So that's 68.7% of the runs accounted for in 18.9% of the games. (9 runs or more)

157 runs scored in 11 games.  So that's 86.2% of the runs accounted for in 29.7% of the games. (8 runs or more)

8 runs scored in 11 games.  So that's 4.3% of our runs accounted for in 29.7% of our games. (0/1 runs)

If you go with the 8 runs metric it reveals a fairly even distribution between complete suckage, plenty of offensive firepower, and more normal scoring levels.  But basically 60% of our games are either feast or famine.  That for sure is affecting our perception. 

107 runs in five games? We have not scored 21 runs at all this season much less averaged that much over five wins. The seven and eleven games totals don't seem right either. 

Maybe I'm missing something. 

6 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

107 runs in five games? We have not scored 21 runs at all this season much less averaged that much over five wins. The seven and eleven games totals don't seem right either. 

Maybe I'm missing something. 

Nah I started my numbers backwards from what I wrote down to what I typed out.  Fixed it. 

All the same it's still 60% of games that we're either 8+ runs or 0/1 runs.   

7 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

To be fair, to was Sipp. He ate an inning and didn't give up the 15 run lead he inherited. That's a good outing for him.

we probably made him eat last at the post-game spread, no racist

When it is all said and done it is gonna be a tight race for my all time favorite Astro between Altuve and Springer.  I'm sure Altuve will win out for me because he will be here longer, but damn I love me some Springer.  

57 minutes ago, Scraps said:

When it is all said and done it is gonna be a tight race for my all time favorite Astro between Altuve and Springer.  I'm sure Altuve will win out for me because he will be here longer, but damn I love me some Springer.  

Pretty much sums it up for me as well

I often discuss “favorite astro” of this generation with a few buddies and it ebbs and flows among a handful of guys but always comes down to these two for me 

My favorite Astro will always be Nolan.  I can’t help it.  As a kid pitcher and a pitcher all through HS I idolized him. Going to the Dome as a kid and getting there early just to stand right beside him while he was popping Ashby’s mit warming up was pure bliss.  That grunt and pop from the mit in the game was mesmerizing as a kid.  

I was sitting at a red light as a 20 year old in 91 on Nasa Rd 1 when I heard em say on the radio he just threw his 7th no hitter, man I had tears rolling down my cheeks.  

I love all our greats but Nolan holds a special place in my heart.

Edited by Limp Brisket
  • Like 1