2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

Tucker update from Wed

siap

Kyle Tucker has played in slightly more than 100 games above Class A. He is 21 and doesn’t turn 22 until January. Across the Pacific Coast League, which consists of 16 teams, only 20-year-old Padres second base prospect Luis Urías is younger.

To expect Tucker to be the savior of the bottom third of Houston’s lineup is unrealistic. The touted left-handed hitting corner outfielder has performed solidly in his first 29 games in Triple A but hasn’t crushed pitching in the hitter-friendly PCL to an extent where the Astros have been compelled to call him up.

Tucker came into Fresno’s game Wednesday night at Las Vegas batting .285/.355/.415 with two home runs and 10 doubles in 139 plate appearances. He has yet to put together a torrid stretch like he had his first major-league spring training, when one of baseball’s best position player prospects raised the already high expectations.

“I talked to (minor-league field coordinator) Josh Bonifay when he was in town last week, and he said that Tucker got off to a slow start but that he’s really been making a lot of progress,” Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow said on Wednesday. “There are a lot of parts to the game that he’s still learning – all of the small parts of base running and running routes and fielding and reading pitchers, the sort of nuances that he’s going to need to figure out at the big leagues – and he’s making good progress on all of them.

“So I would say he’s definitely tracking toward a call-up this year. But I wouldn’t say he’s dominating to the point where we feel like we have to add him because we’re missing out on production that we should be getting.”

It’s important to keep Tucker’s performance in Triple A in proper context. So far, it has been inferior to Derek Fisher’s .335/.401/.608 slash line in Triple A last year before the Astros promoted him for the first time on June 14. Fisher subsequently has been only a .206/.285/.382 hitter in the majors (going into Wednesday’s game at Oakland), which is among the reasons Astros fans have clamored to see Tucker.

If anyone on the Triple A roster warrants a call-up to the majors right now, it’s the red-hot J.D. Davis. Since his demotion from the Astros upon Yuli Gurriel’s activation, Davis has batted .432/.486/.663 in 107 plate appearances for Fresno.

Davis has already racked up 13 doubles to go with his three home runs. He’s played mostly third base but also some left field and first base.

Tyler White and Tony Kemp, both players who have mastered Triple A but are unproven in the majors, have also gotten off to strong starts with Fresno. White is batting .333/.463/.581 in 147 plate appearances while Kemp is batting .346/.430/.438 in 151 plate appearances. Both have more walks than strikeouts.

23 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

Not to get too nerdy, but what is our BABIP?  It seems like we have had a lot of hard hit balls right at outfielders, especially during the early part of last homestand.  Maybe I'm way off, but I feel like we've been a little unlucky.

BABIP is .313 - 4th in MLB

21 hours ago, Jshep34 said:

Know that some of yall have seen h-town wiggy at houston sports events,  he suffered a unimaginable tragedy this week. His only son/child  (26 years old) passed away. No parent should have to go thru what he  is. Keep him/family in your thoughts, prayers. Go hug your kids,  tell them ya love them. Sorry to sad this thread up

Shit man that sucks.  I've sat around him before and talked to him a couple times.  He seems like a really nice guy.

Edited by Ldogg53

44 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I seriously don't get how we weren't no hit about 20 times from 2011-2013 even with Altuve on the team for most of that time

we had all-star jason castro manning the heart of our lineup during that time span, you're not gonna just not get him out.

TL:DR Go fuck yourself Stubhub. This is my strongly worded letter. 

Fuck Stubhub, my fiancee's family has had 2 seats in Minute Maid since the day it opened. Her grandmother died. As part of the memorial for her grandmother, we bought the 5 seats in front of them for the Rangers game tomorrow and were all going to sit together at the game. 

My Stubhub account wasn't letting me log-in, so I make a new one. I bought the tickets 10 days ago. Stubhub sent the tickets to my phone and the order confirmation to my account, but the tickets weren't printable immediately online and said to check back in an hour. When I tried, it wouldn't let me log-in and I had to reset the password. It wouldn't accept it, so I tried again. Same problem. It locked me out of the account. Repeat the next day. I get pissed and quit. I wasn't worried, because I had the confirmation # and I didn't have time to deal with it during business hours 

I called Stubhub today, because my fiancee's mother is a huge stickler for physical tickets. They send me a reset code that finally works, but only in Chrome, not Safari, which I had been using. I reset the password. 

The ticket confirmation is there, but there is no printable link for the tickets. 

I call them AGAIN and the woman puts me on hold and doesn't come back for 10 minutes. 

I hang up and call them again. They answer and put me on hold, but the woman promises to come back. She does come back and update me every 3-5 minutes, but she has no idea what the problem is and is waiting on 'experts'. 

In the meantime, they've called my fiancee's mother on her house phone line, so they know it's the same address as the card and order. The same phone number the credit card used to purchase the tickets is registered to. She has verified every aspect of the story, told them about the memorial and authorized the purchase. Explains to them that any other time, we could be flexible, but this is not that time. 

They tell her, the account has been flagged and the tickets are cancelled. She asks to talk to a supervisor. That takes 15 minutes. 

Meanwhile, I've been on hold for 15 minutes and have already spent around 30 dealing with it today, plus the annoyance of the password fuckery during the week, so I ask the woman I've been talking nicely with to call me back when it's resolved. She says yes. Spoiler alert, they emailed me to tell me they cancelled the order an hour and a half ago, she has not called back to tell me. I don't expect she will. 

Fiancee's mom is on phone with supervisor. She explains it to her. Supervisor gives not a single shit. Tickets are cancelled. I talk to supervisor and explain that I have an order confirmation, tickets on my phone and the credit card in my hand. This is Stubhub's problem and they need to fix it.

She says no and tells me the tickets are invalid and I cannot use them. I ask to talk to her supervisor, she is gone for the day. I ask to talk to her supervisor's supervisor, she says no. I ask for a phone number or name, she says there is no phone number and gives me a mailing address in San Francisco. 

I explain to her that there is a death in the family and this is entirely Stubhub's error and they need to make this right. It's their software that has fucked up. She reads me a spiel about refraining from abusive language. Only time I swore. I apologize for the f-bomb. I tell her I will be putting a review up, I will be contacting the Astros and I will be posting this story to social media and that Stubhub needs to make this right. She reminds me the phone call is recorded and I tell her 'oh yeah, I do'. This recording will not be helpful for them or her.  

Now, 2 of us are going to be in the original seats they have. We used Seat Geek to buy 4 more in the section to the left and we're looking for 2 more so the other person doesn't sit by themselves. 

TL:DR Go fuck yourself Stubhub. This is my strongly worded letter. 

Edited by Pods

6 minutes ago, Okie State said:

That made my blood pressure rise just reading it. Unbelievable.

I'm actually very proud of myself for only dropping one F-bomb. I knew as soon as I said it, they'd seize on it and they did. I even apologized to the woman at the end and told her the situation was not her fault, but that it was absolutely her fault that she wasn't going to try to fix it. 

I will never use Stubhub again. 

• Like 1