2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

3 minutes ago, kangsta said:

disappointing indeed.  Don't jump, Mez2 

That was a shamewood reference from way back when.But seriously, this team sucks at home.

Superstar, I'm calling you out, for someone who wants to be an MVP and leader this is a prime spot for you a take action. Beltran ain't here to address the team. Your performance is teh suck at home, like not even the same neighborhood. Quit humping your former Ms Texas.

And, Altuve, you ain't far behind. Ugh, I either need to quit caring about games in early May or stop drinking so much and I know what I'm going to not do.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

That was a shamewood reference from way back when.But seriously, this team sucks at home.

Superstar, I'm calling you out, for someone who wants to be an MVP and leader this is a prime spot for you a take action. Beltran ain't here to address the team. Your performance is teh suck at home, like not even the same neighborhood. Quit humping your former Ms Texas.

And, Altuve, you ain't far behind. Ugh, I either need to quit caring about games in early May or stop drinking so much and I know what I'm going to not do.

definitely drinking here

• Like 1

Here are the MLB rankings of Astros hitters in wRC+, with 2017 rank in ():

Springer - 41st (18th)

Correa - 47th (6th if he had enough PAs)

Altuve - 57th (4th)

Bregman - 75th (43rd)

Reddick - 89th (36th)

Marwin - 128th (12th)

Essentially, every hitter in the lineup except McCann is hitting considerably worse than last year. 

29 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Here are the MLB rankings of Astros hitters in wRC+, with 2017 rank in ():

Springer - 41st (18th)

Correa - 47th (6th if he had enough PAs)

Altuve - 57th (4th)

Bregman - 75th (43rd)

Reddick - 89th (36th)

Marwin - 128th (12th)

Essentially, every hitter in the lineup except McCann is hitting considerably worse than last year. 

So my eyes aren’t playing tricks on me after all. 

Regardless of whether or not 2017 was a major anomaly for most of our hitters, we have to be better than what we’ve shown so far in 2018. If we’d had this starting pitching a year ago, we might have won 130 games...but at the rate we’re now going, 100 looks like a lofty goal. 

27 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

So my eyes aren’t playing tricks on me after all. 

Regardless of whether or not 2017 was a major anomaly for most of our hitters, we have to be better than what we’ve shown so far in 2018. If we’d had this starting pitching a year ago, we might have won 130 games...but at the rate we’re now going, 100 looks like a lofty goal. 

Well, on the bright side, water generally finds its level. For example...Jed Lowrie, Nick Markakis, Asdrubal Cabrera, Francisco Cervelli, Kevin Pillar, and Jorge Soler probably aren't suddenly better hitters than any player on the Astros roster. They will come back to earth and Altuve/Correa/Springer are likely to be better. 

But no, it's not your eyes; Wilson Ramos has been a better hitter than Jose Altuve so far. (So has Colin Moran.)

11 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Great example of run average being over exaggerated. 

16,4,4,0 is our runs scored over 4 games and that gives a average of 6 runs a game. Yet it’s the one game explosion that helps the average stay high. If our pitching ever starts to slump we are fucked. 

AVG runs/game is 4.75. Median runs/game in 4.0. 

Astros have been shut out in 10% of their games so far. 

Astros have scored 0 or 1 run in 30% of their games. 

I know this is all supposed to even out over the whole year, and sequencing has just been out of whack, but...it's hard to watch them and not think that something's not right. 

BBB Bring Back Beltran

I really think he made a huge difference with the psychology and approach to hitting for the team last year. 

McCann made a comparable difference with the pitching staff. 

One of those is still here. The other is not. BBB.

Edited by Pods