2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Been waiting for this to break, but thought it would be about our boys first from everything I’ve been hearing.

Bottom line is it seems clear everyone’s doing it.
Something I’m sure MLB is hoping to stay under the radar until the offseason when they’ll have to figure out a better way to deal with this

Right everyone does it.  I don't really have an issue with it because it unfortunately is a common practice when it is cold weather.   Temps in the 40s last night so it is what it is.  

What I do dislike is you fucking check our dudes glove in game 1, but give 0 fucks about this.  Regardless who it was that made the call to check the glove, umps or Red Sox, don't be a halfassed bitch.  Either go all in on the rules, or give 0 fucks.  

Edited by Scraps
  • Like 1

Indeed. Baseball is chock full of momentary lapses and upticks in the enforcement of ‘rules,’ both written and unwritten.

That streak of bitchassedness is a big turnoff for this fan.

The deviation from the replay rules bothered me last night on the hit/ foul ball violated their own rules.  Ultimately the correct call was made.

Do that on every call.  The human element sucks. Legalism and insecurities preventing the correct call from being made are total horseshit.

Edited by slorch

Indeed. Baseball is chock full of momentary lapses and upticks in the enforcement of ‘rules,’ both written and unwritten.
That streak of bitchassedness is a big turnoff for this fan.

The deviation from the replay rules bothered me last night on the hit/ foul ball violated their own rules.  Ultimately the correct call was made.
Do that on every call.  The human element sucks. Legalism and insecurities preventing the correct call from being made are total horseshit.
Agreed. I'm all for getting every call correct, but do it under the rules set forth. Not the Stros fault your rules on replay(among other things) suck.

Right everyone does it.  I don't really have an issue with it because it unfortunately is a common practice when it is cold weather.   Temps in the 40s last night so it is what it is.  

What I do dislike is you fucking check our dudes glove in game 1, but give 0 fucks about this.  Regardless who it was that made the call to check the glove, umps or Red Sox, don't be a halfassed bitch.  Either go all in on the rules, or give 0 fucks.  

Olney article from yesterday saying basically this.
Behind paywall but here is the teaser:

At the outset of every series, major league officials and umpires usually meet with the managers and general managers of each team to review ground rules and other special circumstances, and to open communication before some of the biggest games of the year.

In the current context, there should be a particular request made of the managers: Please do not ask the umpires to check opposing pitchers for foreign substances. And this should be reiterated. Pretty please, with sugar and sprinkles on top.

Because everybody in the room will understand that most pitchers participating in the postseason probably use sunscreen or pine tar or something that violates baseball's rule against the use of foreign substances.

If a manager asks the umpire to inspect an opposing pitcher, then the umpire will be obligated to do so, and almost certainly he would find something; by rule, the pitcher would be ejected and subject to suspension from the postseason. Absolute chaos would ensue.

Retaliation from the other team would be inevitable, in the form of inning-to-inning requests of pitcher inspection or a fastball aimed at somebody's back, backside or neck. Some of the best pitchers might be taken off the field, and the media and fan response would overrun the postseason coverage.

The online version of Major League Baseball's rule book runs 169 pages, covering everything from the infield fly rule to official scorer decisions, and yet the tempered grace of the managers is all that can prevent a competitive debacle in this moment. Because the pitchers' growing use of foreign substances has not been addressed through a rule change, MLB and the union must trust that A.J. Hinch or Dave Roberts or Craig Counsell or Alex Cora doesn't suffer a dugout meltdown and wage all-out war on opposing pitchers.

This is a month of heightened scrutiny and posted screen shots, and already there have been pictures of very prominent pitchers with hands covered with what appear to be foreign substances. The Twittersphere mostly regards this as a big gotcha, a captured image of a criminal caught in the act.

But everybody involved in the sport knows how prevalent the use of sunscreen and pine tar and other stuff has become. Many catchers have pine tar on some part of their person, to apply as needed. Baseball officials would prefer that no foreign substances are used, but they also understand the practical reality: that the baseballs provided for the players are slick, and not always properly prepared.

olney mentioned the foreign substances in his podcast leading up to game 1; he didnt name any names specifically in the podcast but I assumed he was referring to charlie morton with his mouth/gum. i don't think anything will come of it from either team but you never know. 

8 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I thought the pine tar thing was common knowledge and accepted by hitters.  All it does it help the pitcher get a better grip and not accidentally earhole the batter.  

Why doesnt MLB have the leather cover on baseballs conditioned as part of the manufacturing process?  Then there would be uniform expecations and no need to use substances to fix the slickness of a new ball.  New footballs suck too.  Thats why Tom Brady has a guy fondle his balls on game day. 

Eovaldi's 3.81 ERA is respectable, but it's his best ERA in the last four years.  He's a career 4.16 guy.  And he's making the second postseason start of his life.

We need to get some runs early and force Boston to burn up several bullpen IP.

Start the god damned game already.

Edited by TexArcher

2 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Why doesnt MLB have the leather cover on baseballs conditioned as part of the manufacturing process?  Then there would be uniform expecations and no need to use substances to fix the slickness of a new ball.  New footballs suck too.  Thats why Tom Brady has a guy fondle his balls on game day. 

secret mud, man 

Don’t give a shit about the pitching matchup, the sawks bullpen, Bregman’s social media, or even Altuve’s knee. None of that shit matters.

All I want to know is whether lilshep is gonna be in the house.
We had tickets but cant make it due to school. Will be cheering from home.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Hinch on Bregman’s Instagram troll:

"Welcome to the current generation," Hinch said. "Obviously there's fun banter. ... We want guys to have their personalities, have their fun. Then go out and back it up”

This is why AJ is a great manager. Turns what should be motivation for the Sox into a motivation for his own players.

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Like 1