2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

??? You think 2.30 era for a guy that faces 1-3 guys in a save situation is good? 

It’s objectively good, despite what the ol “eye test” tells you. Giles was a top 10 9th inning pitcher coming into this season by objective measures, fans paranoia notwithstanding.

That said, this is the right move. Primarily due to his attitude, not his performance (though it’s been objectively bad lately). But can’t have that petulance in the clubhouse.

• Like 2

It’s objectively good, despite what the ol “eye test” tells you. Giles was a top 10 9th inning pitcher coming into this season by objective measures, fans paranoia notwithstanding.
That said, this is the right move. Primarily due to his attitude, not his performance (though it’s been objectively bad lately). But can’t have that petulance in the clubhouse.

This about sums it up.

Put a wrap on the Giles talk.

Thank god today isn’t an off day and we have another game to distract us tonight

3 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

It was 16th out of 155 qualifying relievers last season.  

He was good at times last year, then he fell apart and Hinch correctly did not use him in important spots in the playoffs.  I don't know what happened, but he went over the cliff from being effective to sucking, and hasn't recovered.

• Like 1

This is the right answer.
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, CrownKing said:

If I remember correctly didn’t Lidge have a problem tipping his pitches?  I wonder if Giles is doing the same.   

Glad he got sent down to work on whatever,  his attitude stinks right now. 

No, he has a problem locating his slider (which will never be as good as Lidge's), and his fastball is straight as an arrow.  When you can't throw your only secondary pitch for strikes (without hanging them) and you don't have a fastball that has true life on it despite the velocity, MLB players will have success against you.

He's a different pitcher when he can locate his slider.  All too often that isn't the case.  I defended Giles for a long time, but he just doesn't have it mentally (and that includes not having the emotional intelligence to be able to listen to your coaches). 

Edited by Planet Houston
  • Like 2

Giles' slider has been a little different this season, though I wouldn't say it's been bad (.170 wOBA against).  If I were to guess, I'd say the difference in quality of contact yielded this season by Giles vs last season is due to the increased use of his fastball this season.  

14 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Giles has also had bad luck. Most of last night were average grounders hit through holes.  Doesn’t matter.  He’s done here. 

climbingtalshill said his exit velocity has been:

2015: 87.3 MPH
2016: 87.2 MPH
2017: 86.6 MPH
2018: 90.5 MPH

re:giles

what a waste if you can't use this staff of pitchers and coaches to improve yourself as a pitcher.  also mccann.  one thing i like about our staff this season is that nobody has their own catcher (at least to the naked eye).  we seemed to play stassi or mccann based on matchups for them as batters.  i never liked when one pitcher has to have his own special receiver.  now mccann is out, and our starters seem just fine with stassi or fed.

altuve slapping mccullers' glove on their way to the dugout is one of my favorite moments of the season.  there are several strong "lead by example" leaders as well as inspirational leaders on this team (cue verlander yelling from the dugout in g2 of world series).  if your attitude sucks, and you can't control your emotions, it's on you.  enjoy fresno.  as far as i'm concerned, he can pitch his way to earn a sept call-up, but he's not making the postseason roster anyway, so who cares.

re:jake's demotion

i thought it was humorous that he never even reported to fresno.  they were on their all star break, and then he got called back up when cole went on bereavement.

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

He should have been gone right after the game where he punched himself in the face. He was never going to get his shit together mentally while on a MLB squad after that. 

4 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

Trade him and take a flier on whatever we can get in return.  But don't trade him to an AL contender, because we all know how that would turn out.

This is correct. He has value, just not us. Send him to a  mid level National League team. They will be doing the Astros and Giles a favor.