2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, Fozzz said:

Giles' slider has been a little different this season, though I wouldn't say it's been bad (.170 wOBA against).  If I were to guess, I'd say the difference in quality of contact yielded this season by Giles vs last season is due to the increased use of his fastball this season.  

This-he’s given up a ton more contact this year, walks way down.  

and just like lidge, i won't be upset if he finds his shit somewhere else.

does anyone remember that random philly fan on shaggy (or hornfans) who talked so much shit to astros fans after lidge's perfect season/world series?  i was happy for him.  it's not like he's carlos gomez or lenny dykstra.

I was upset with the Lidge situation because I felt the fans gave up on him too quick, and IIRC they would start booing when he entered a game. Things snowballed and he had to be traded, but to me it was because of the fans being too hard on him and all the negativity was getting to him.

With Giles it seems different.

why the overreaction? I mean, yeah he's a headcase and scares the shit out of all of us whenever he pitches, but hyperbole much?  
Last I checked the Astros are defending WS Champs. 

Did you watch the playoffs/world series? He didn’t do shit to help us win a world championship.

45f33488156db2929650a53fb41f004d.png

2 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I'll give him credit that he was pretty fucking good in June through about mid August last year.  After that, not so good.

Yea well apparently we are comparing him to MARIANO RIVERA lifetime era. LOL. When it mattered most he sucked. Fuck all this era bullshit. ok his era is almost 5 this season so who gives a shit what it was last year, i'm sure he was nails in june closing out the shitty royals. who cares. Last night should be enough for anyone to be done with this clown. He's done.

Did you watch the playoffs/world series? He didn’t do shit to help us win a world championship.

45f33488156db2929650a53fb41f004d.png
No man my bad I didn't watch any of the playoffs or World Series, let alone post about it on the old board.

I'm a rational fan, or at least I try to be. The "fuck you Giles" hate on the day he gets sent down is crazy imo and lacks all perspective.

He's a pro baseball player who wears a 2017 WS ring. He stunk at times and was OK at times. You guys got what you want. Do you need to take a shit on his jersey as well?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Giles has also had bad luck. Most of last night were average grounders hit through holes.  Doesn’t matter.  He’s done here. 

And with the way Hinch plays some absolutely stupid shifts at times I see your point.  We need guys that just strike out dudes left right and center to take the Hinch thinking himself out of a win out of play.

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

No man my bad I didn't watch any of the playoffs or World Series, let alone post about it on the old board.

I'm a rational fan, or at least I try to be. The "fuck you Giles" hate on the day he gets sent down is crazy imo and lacks all perspective.

He's a pro baseball player who wears a 2017 WS ring. He stunk at times and was OK at times. You guys got what you want. Do you need to take a shit on his jersey as well?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

He had a good year last year before the playoffs but has been pretty mediocre to bad the rest of his time in Houston. ERA's over 4 his other two seasons and a complete meltdown in the playoffs. He's earned some fan push back because that's the only way you let the team leaders know this shit isn't acceptable. They gave up quite a bit (at the time) to get him and he hasn't performed. Despite that, they kept running him out there in high leverage situations. I don't care what the stats say, those of us who watch almost daily know what our eyes see and obviously the front office sees it too. 

2 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

And with the way Hinch plays some absolutely stupid shifts at times I see your point.  We need guys that just strike out dudes left right and center to take the Hinch thinking himself out of a win out of play.

This looks really familiar...When pitchers struggle with the shift, they aren't hitting their locations typically. The shift is combined with pitching a certain way. Or else major league batters will take advantage. All of them are capable of hitting soft grounders pretty much where they want to if you don't pitch them correctly. 

22 minutes ago, Stros said:

Fuck more Tyler White tonight. Fat slab of shit, we would be better off with Lance hitting tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had to look it up, he's 5-24 since being called up.  That's better than Jake, but good lowered Jake at least seems to be trying.