2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

Stassi got HBP on 7/3. Let’s say he was held out on 7/4 as a precaution.

Since then Fedorawearingzits has started 3 of the next 8 counting today. (Both of LMJ’s starts in that stretch and Cole). (Cole also started the 7/4 game the day after Stassi was hit).

Who knows.

But man, how lucky are we to have this to complain about.

Bregs All Star Q&A with Kaplan

I want a Bracamonte All-Star Jersey

Ever since Alex Bregman forced his way to Houston only a year removed from college, it seemed like just a matter of time before he would establish himself as an All-Star.

Bregman, who will play in his first All-Star Game on Tuesday night at Nationals Park, has been arguably the Astros’ best position player this season and unquestionably one of their best two. Entering their series finale against the A’s on Thursday afternoon, the 24-year-old led the reigning champs in OPS (.916), home runs (19), doubles (29) and walk percentage (12.7).

The former No. 2 overall draft pick and top prospect began Thursday sixth among position players in FanGraphs’ version of Wins Above Replacement (4.2), one spot ahead of José Altuve (4.1). (Altuve has a 4.6 to 4.5 edge over Bregman in the Baseball Reference version of WAR, however.) The AL’s player of the month for June, Bregman came into the day batting .343/.419/.755 in his last 25 games. He’s the first Astros third baseman to be an All-Star since Morgan Ensberg in 2005.

Bregman will also participate in the Home Run Derby on Monday night, when he will become just the fifth Astro to hit in the event and the first since Lance Berkman in 2008. Javier Bracamonte, the team’s longtime bullpen catcher and Bregman’s usual batting practice pitcher during the season, will throw to him.

Ahead of his first All-Star experience, Bregman spoke to The Athletic about his selection, the derby, his family’s history in Washington, D.C., and more.

(This conversation has been lightly edited for clarity.)

Who or what did you think about when A.J. Hinch notified you that you were an All-Star on Sunday morning?

Alex Bregman: I thought about my family and growing up and always watching the game and always dreaming about playing in it. Now being able to play in it is a dream come true. It’s something I’ve worked very hard for. I’m definitely thankful for my teammates and coaching staff for everything.

In that brief moment when he pretended there were just the four All-Stars from the Astros, did you buy it or did you have a feeling he was messing with you?

Bregman: I was hoping that he was messing with me because I felt like I was deserving. But I know a lot of the other guys in this room are deserving, as well. So, I was hoping. But I wasn’t sure.

What went into your decision to do the derby?

Bregman: It’s something I always watched as a kid. I loved watching it. It was a lot of fun. Really, just for the fans. I wanted to do it for the fans.

You hear the talk of it messes with your swing. Did that give you any pause?

Bregman: No. Because in BP right now all I try and do is hit homers anyway.

It’s been only a bit more than two years since you debuted in the majors. What area do you feel like you’ve improved the most since then to be able to reach this level?

Bregman: I think offensively I’ve improved more. I’ve learned a lot about how pitchers up here are going to try to attack me and what adjustments I need to make pitch by pitch. I think when I first came up, I was making adjustments plate appearance by plate appearance and not pitch by pitch. Up here you have to do it each pitch to be able to adjust.

Where do you feel like you rank right now among major league third basemen?

Bregman: In the top two. Or three.

Who are the other one or two?

Bregman: José Ramírez and Nolan Arenado.

What makes you say that?

Bregman: WAR. Wins Above Replacement.

(Note: Coming into Thursday’s games, Bregman ranked second in fWAR and bWAR among major league third basemen behind only the Indians’ Ramírez .)

You revamped your diet in the offseason and focused on strengthening your core. How has that helped you this season?

Bregman: I think I’ve felt stronger. I’ve lost actually 10 pounds since the season started. But I’ve been able to maintain my strength and I feel stronger. I feel like I’m swinging the bat better. I’m more consistent. I think it was a really, really smart approach this offseason that we took and definitely helped big time in this season.

Have you maintained that diet from the offseason?

Bregman: It’s very hard to maintain completely. But I’ve done a way better job about it than I’ve ever done in my life.

Have you still not had a Dr Pepper since the World Series?

Bregman: I’ve had a lot of Powerade. I’ve had a lot, a lot of Powerade.

It seems very fitting that your first All-Star Game selection comes in a year when the game is in D.C., given your deep family history there. How far back do your family’s roots go in D.C.?

Bregman: Super far back. My great grandfather, my grandfather. My grandfather, Stan Bregman, who was at every single baseball game I ever played growing up, was huge in baseball in D.C. with the Senators. My dad was fortunate enough to grow up on Ted Williams’ lap in the clubhouse. So, it’s really special, really, really special that’s in D.C. I’ve got a lot of family and friends. My dad’s got a ton of friends out there that will be at the game. It’s going to be great.

(In case you missed it during last year’s World Series, read Peter Gammons’ fantastic story about the Bregman family’s four-generation journey.)

You’ve said in the past that your grandfather was your biggest fan. How much do you think you’ll be thinking of him when you take the field next week?

Bregman: A ton. A ton. Being able to play in D.C., I’ll be thinking about him a ton. I thought about him a lot once I got selected and knowing how proud and happy he’d be and how he’d be telling me to bang the ball.

Have you spent a lot of time in D.C.?

Bregman: I’ve spent a little bit. My dad’s from Bethesda, Maryland. But I’ve spent a little bit of time in D.C., yeah.

Have you been to Nationals Park?

Bregman: I have never been.

What aspect of this All-Star Game experience are you most looking forward to?

Bregman: Definitely just playing next to the best players in the game. Being able to compete against and play and learn and talk and just be able to be in a room with that group of superstars.

Are there a few players in particular you maybe don’t know well who you’re hoping to seek out and just talk baseball?

Bregman: Definitely. Trout. Judge. J.D. Martinez. Betts. I mean, I have one that I get to talk here every day in Altuve. That’s super special. And you get to talk to some of the pitchers, too, some of the best pitchers in the game. I mean, you’ve got Sale, Severino, just studs that you’re going to be able to talk to, as well, while you’re there.

When we spoke a few weeks ago, you weren’t thrilled with your OPS. After this recent stretch, how close are you to where you want to be?

Bregman: Almost there. Almost there. We’ve definitely gotten a lot better over this stretch. I want to be .950 to 1.000 every year and continually improving. I feel like I started off terribly this year and dug myself a little bit of a hole. But I think OPS is the best stat for hitters. It’s how much you’re on-base and how much damage you do. So, I think that if you want to be an elite hitter, if you want to be one of the best hitters in the game, you have to have a good OPS. And mine’s getting up there now to where it’s serviceable but not where I want it to be.

• Like 1

Still have no idea why they brought up Tucker, when Kemp has more than held is own. Don't understand getting the arbitration clock moving on your best prospect when there was no pressing need in the OF.

Tucker is going to make the team out of the spring training next year. Calling him up in early July of this year doesn’t accelerate anything.

FO wants to understand if tucker can be of help in October.

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Still have no idea why they brought up Tucker, when Kemp has more than held is own. Don't understand getting the arbitration clock moving on your best prospect when there was no pressing need in the OF.

I think they want to see if Tucker is worthy of a spot on the 25-man playoff roster. If he is not, then maybe we trade for outfield depth. Kemp has been good, but if Tucker can live up to expectations now, he would be a significant upgrade over Kemp. 

46 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

once we passed the super 2 deadline, it wasn't going to make a difference.  gotta see if he's ready.