2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

6 hours ago, thetruth said:

Marwin haters to the front please. 

I called him the season's biggest disappointment. I'll eat August crow. 

I hated on him pretty hard for being so damned surly in the opening series against Arlington.  See Also: got ejected for being a dick about balls/ strikes.

He's still my least favorite Astro, but I can appreciate how he has kept making work.  He has had some timely hits, and with the multitude of injuries to position players provides AJ and the team with easier solutions than having to constantly MacGyver the lineup.

He still has one of the best bunts this season that I have ever seen.

Especially considering I was thinking yesterday was an off day, I was pleasantly surprised to wake this morning to a W. Not excited about being shut down for 8-plus innings, but I've almost come to expect that with the current lineup.

Great to see Marwin come up huge in the 9th, obviously. Outstanding AB. I don't think he's owed any apologies, though, because he's a professional athlete whose overall performance has been lagging this season. He's a versatile defensive player who's had some huge moments for us with the bat, and for those I'm thrilled. But I don't see how anyone can fault fans for being down on him — or any other player — when there's a mix of poor play and what appears (outside looking in) to be an occasional attitude issue. People are going to judge on the basis of what they see, and in Marwin's case, that hasn't always been positive.

All that said, a huge W. Morton deserved better than he got, but at least the team kept moving forward in what's turning out to be an encouraging road trip.   

Edited by Gut Wagon