2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's going to be an interesting off-season.

I'm sure Luhnow will continue to convince himself that we still don't need to finally step up and sign a shutdown closer in the offseason.

Edit:  Without stooping to go after chick beaters.

Edited by clapclapclap

5 minutes ago, thetruth said:

Three years in the playoffs in a row, a World Series title, back to back ALCS appearances, all the other shit, and people still hate Luhnow? Teh Fuck

One can acknowledge that Luhnow has overall done a great job, while still recognizing that bullpen woes have burned us for several years.  We got lucky last year, thankfully.

Sorry, can't overlook Osuna's scummy behavior.  Hope he continues to stay clean, which might change my opinion over time.  Hey, maybe that's just what teams have to do to keep up with the Yankees, Cubs, and Red Sox.  Kind of like college football.  

Edited by clapclapclap

6 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

I'm sure Luhnow will continue to convince himself that we still don't need to finally step up and sign a shutdown closer in the offseason.

He is fine. Sox might have won this series even if fairly called. They certainly spent enough on their payroll.  High payroll teams like the Red Sox and Yankees are never gonna go away.  But Luhnow is the best mid-money teambuilder in the game. Nobody else is even close. Its why we will be seeing half this Astros team in pinstripes and whatever the fuck you call Red Sox unis while the Astros have a new class. 

Just now, WBT said:

We led mlb in bullpen era by 1/3 run

And traded for the best closer available.

And had already attempted to address that with the trade for Giles, which obviously didn’t work out.

And complaints about a closer are completely out of left field given the outcome of this series.

A bizarre, completely worthless post.

Just now, cabowabo said:

Is McCann under contract for next year?  We need to unload him and Maldonado, and find a catcher who can hit his weight. 

No, we'll need to find a new catcher, and don't tell me stassi is the answer. We'll also need a reliable DH. I can't get Tyler White's looking at 3 strikes outta my head from last night. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

Man, I fucking hate losing. But I hate when we play like shit on top of that. We've played like ass all series, plain and simple. 

Altuve and Correa being hurt doesn't help

Yep. But instead of "aw shucks" these boys need to rally like their life depends on it.

What do they have to lose?

4 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

Is McCann under contract for next year?  We need to unload him and Maldonado, and find a catcher who can hit his weight. 

Astros free agents are Keuchel, Morton, MarGo, Gattis, Sipp, Maldonado.  Everyone else is back.  McCann is under contract through next year.

ETA - McCann's option for 2019 did not vest so he will likely be a free agent.  He didn't catch enough games this year.

Edited by Guadaloopy

12 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

And traded for the best closer available.

And had already attempted to address that with the trade for Giles, which obviously didn’t work out.

And complaints about a closer are completely out of left field given the outcome of this series.

A bizarre, completely worthless post.

The bullpen cost us in 2015.  It kept us out in 2016.  We got lucky last year that the bats carried us and the starters did a lot of filling in during the post-season.  Plenty on this thread were concerned about the bullpen early on this season, then more relieved but still with questions in the back of our minds as the season went on.  Some may say the staff reverted to form this series.  But hey, such an awesome bullpen on paper going into the post-season, numbers never lie, eh?

That's pretty much my only complaint about Luhnow.  But I'll drop it for now, the pom pom wavers can't handle any nuance.  Any little criticism must be Astros bashing.  Sheesh.

Edited by clapclapclap

The bullpen cost us in 2015.  It kept us out in 2016.  We got lucky last year that the bats carried us and the starters did a lot of filling in during the post-season.  Plenty on this thread were concerned about the bullpen early on this season, then more relieved but still with questions in the back of our minds as the season went on.  Some may say the staff reverted to form this series.  But hey, such an awesome bullpen on paper going into the post-season, numbers never lie, eh?
But I'll drop it for now, the pom pom wavers can't handle any nuance.  Any little criticism must be Astros bashing.  Sheesh.

The pom pom waivers just want you to deal with facts. Luhnow built the best bullpen in the league this year and they simply fucking choked in this series. Blaming Luhnow for that is some early afternoon sports talk call-in shit.
  • Like 3

Just now, clapclapclap said:

But I'll drop it for now, the pom pom wavers can't handle any nuance.  Any little criticism must be Astros bashing.  Sheesh.

It’s not any criticism. It’s stupid criticism. “Maybe Luhnow will finally admit he needs a closer.” He’s traded for one. Twice. Including this summer. Best one available. And he’s had jack all to do with the outcome of this series.

If you want to be critical, at least come up with something legitimate instead of regurgitating talking points from 2016