2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

Agree with lots of what has been said already.  Just not the same team or drive this series, played tentative, uptight, and maybe even scared. 

I see lots of changes coming but think we're gonna get a legit hitter to lengthen out the line-up. I can go back to hating Tyler white now.

1 minute ago, Victor Lazlo said:

Shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, tits. 

We definitely didn’t have the mojo of last year in the ALCS. 

Got to get healthy and improve the bottom of the lineup and bench. 

I said last year that winning it all once in my lifetime would be enough. I’ve found that not to be true. 

Got to give it to the Red Sox. They have a hell of a team. 

Tried to give you props but I’m drunk. Anyway, you deserve many for correct recitation of George Carlin’s 7 words you can’t say on television (then). I do believe it was his “School Days” album.

3 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

Agree with lots of what has been said already.  Just not the same team or drive this series, played tentative, uptight, and maybe even scared. 

I see lots of changes coming but think we're gonna get a legit hitter to lengthen out the line-up. I can go back to hating Tyler white now.

Astros cant afford to buy a legit hitter. Gonna be tough to hold onto the ones we have eventually. Winning caused revenue to change a little bit but it doesnt put us in the big league buyers market. 

Still a lot of guys on the farm though. Thats how we did it. Thats how we have to do it. Really though, if Altuve and Correa werent crippled, this is a different seried. I assume we are keeping both of them next year. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

Also, Stros need to keep Marwin. Dude is like a yo yo, but he is a puzzle piece you can fit in anywhere, and both a streaky and timely hitter.  Perfect hitter at 6.

Stros need a true cleanup hitter. Maybe at DH. I heard a commentary about Cecil Fielder back in the day that said every AL team needs a fat guy that hits home runs. We just need a better fat guy than White or Gattis. 

10 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

Other that the unattainable (Harper, Machado), all of the FA bats are aging vets that don’t move the needle too much for me. 

Murphy, A. Jones, Markakis, Donaldson, etc really aren’t that promising unless you’re looking to overpay for a two-year deal and hope to god they don’t get injured. 

10 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

So are we assuming someone is going to overpay for Marwin?

I would be surprised if we didn’t make a very serious run at re-signing him.

Edit: what Fondren said

I doubt we give him a QO. Need that money to sign Grandal. 

Edited by Fozzz

Thank God we won it all last year or I’d be really down right now. This was a special group but the playoffs are what they are - a crapshoot.

Lot to be excited about though with our FO and the talent they have put together up and down the organization. It’s a good time to be an Astros fan. 

• Like 1

Yeah, Marwin had a career year in 2017. 

Regressed to the mean this year. 

He is a Swiss Army Knife kind of player but I’d be shocked, especially in this analytics age, if a team broke the bank signing him. 

To me, he’s a complimentary player as opposed to an everyday, front line player. For a Championship type team.

I’d like to keep him, but as a back up, jack of all trades like he was for most of his career.

Never thought id live to see our Astros win a WS title. So im happy. Injury bug got them. Im looking forward to next year. Had 2 extra tickets to each WS game this year strictly for surly members. Ill be getting a fat refund tomorrow.  Side note now i have to focus on lilsheps bday party in 2 weeks. 

HOOK EM and GO ASTROS

• Like 3

Yeah, Marwin had a career year in 2017. 
Regressed to the mean this year. 
He is a Swiss Army Knife kind of player but I’d be shocked, especially in this analytics age, if a team broke the bank signing him. 
To me, he’s a complimentary player as opposed to an everyday, front line player. For a Championship type team.
I’d like to keep him, but as a back up, jack of all trades like he was for most of his career.

You’re wrong. Someone will sign him for way more than we’d offer.

25 minutes ago, ERhine said:

You’re wrong. Someone will sign him for way more than we’d offer.

I don’t disagree. I have no doubt that some team will sign him to be an everyday player, paying more than the Astros would be willing to. No doubt  

Im saying that I don’t believe he will get a multi-year contract at 15-20 million a year, which is what I’d call breaking the bank for him.

it was a fun season, with notable breakouts from cole, bregman, pressly, and some fun little streaks from white, gattis, and some pitchers.  boston seems like they've had recent success, but that was 5 years ago, and that was a totally different team.  these guys were hungry, they wanted it more, and they played like it.  we, unfortunately, did not.  the bats went cold, the injuries showed, and the breaks beat the boys any way you slice it.  i don't know if they were much better than us, but they played much better than us, and that's what counts right now.

time to take a baseball break for a while.  nice to be able to care about the astros until october 18th.  it used to not be like this.

it's been a fun thread.  we'll have to get the band back together in a few months.  i won't be hard to find. 

see ya on the breadlines, fellas.

• Like 5

Not a big difference between this year's team and last year's.  Last year's team seemed to be able to get the clutch hit when required and avoided the injury bug a little better.  They also got some breaks that this year's team was in short supply of.  Maybe we used them up in 2017.

The "clutchness" of 2017 Astros was remarkable.  No way Benintendi catches Bregman's ball last year and the fan interference call would not have been made... hell, Correa's HR in Game 2 of the ALCS against the Yankees was a closer call than Altuve's potential HR.

7 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

Other that the unattainable (Harper, Machado), all of the FA bats are aging vets that don’t move the needle too much for me. 

Murphy, A. Jones, Markakis, Donaldson, etc really aren’t that promising unless you’re looking to overpay for a two-year deal and hope to god they don’t get injured. 

Goldy, assuming we are willing to depart with some assets

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Not a big difference between this year's team and last year's.  Last year's team seemed to be able to get the clutch hit when required and avoided the injury bug a little better.  They also got some breaks that this year's team was in short supply of.  Maybe we used them up in 2017.

The "clutchness" of 2017 Astros was remarkable.  No way Benintendi catches Bregman's ball last year and the fan interference call would not have been made... hell, Correa's HR in Game 2 of the ALCS against the Yankees was a closer call than Altuve's potential HR.

Not that great at home

2 of 4 best hitters injured

Untimely luck

Baseball is a cruel mistress. - Augie

7 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I agree with his evaluation.  Unfortunately Boston is also better than last year’s team and this year’s Astros.

The Astros were the better team during the regular season and 162 game sample > 5 game sample.  Based on this series, would you say Jackie Bradley Jr and Rafael Devers are better hitter than JD and Mookie?  Of course not, although JBJ and Devers both significantly outplayed JD and Mookie this series.  Mookie couldn't hit for shit this series (.262 wOBA), and that fact means absolutely nothing when judging him as a player.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Astros free agents are Keuchel, Morton, MarGo, Gattis, Sipp, Maldonado.  Everyone else is back.  McCann is under contract through next year.

ETA - McCann's option for 2019 did not vest so he will likely be a free agent.  He didn't catch enough games this year.

There is a rumor floating around that McCullers might need Tommy John surgery 

48 minutes ago, AtticusFinch said:

There is a rumor floating around that McCullers might need Tommy John surgery 

44 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

bregman alluded to it also, wouldn't surprise me at all. always seemed like lance was on borrowed time until it happened, if true

LMJ's post-game comments made it pretty clear that he'll be missing a lot of time, if not all of next year.  I'll be surprised if this isn't the case.  Sucks.

I just don't get how someone could pitch for weeks, and look healthy doing so, with that serious of an injury.  How many other players have played like that with a torn UCL?  From what I recall from injuries to other players, a severe UCL sprain or tear is accompanied by a shit load of forearm/elbow pain and very limited effectiveness.  It's not something that you can just hide or play through.  

^^ He better be ready.  We're gonna need him.

Also, just spitballing here, but if LMJ does need TJ surgery, then maybe he shouldn't have come in with the bases loaded in a one-run game.  I'm a HUGE Hinch fan and defender (probably to a fault), but if this is the case, he needs to answer some difficult questions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Planet Houston said:

Also, just spitballing here, but if LMJ does need TJ surgery, then maybe he shouldn't have come in with the bases loaded in a one-run game.  I'm a HUGE Hinch fan and defender (probably to a fault), but if this is the case, he needs to answer some difficult questions.

I hear you. Hinch seemed to off in his use of the bullpen this playoff run.

Planet Houston can you start the off season thread

1 hour ago, Fozzz said:

The Astros were the better team during the regular season and 162 game sample > 5 game sample.  Based on this series, would you say Jackie Bradley Jr and Rafael Devers are better hitter than JD and Mookie?  Of course not, although JBJ and Devers both significantly outplayed JD and Mookie this series.  Mookie couldn't hit for shit this series (.262 wOBA), and that fact means absolutely nothing when judging him as a player.   

Is there a point to your post?  Not sure how you can say the Astros were the better team during the regular season when the Red Sox had a better overall record because like you said 162 game sample > 7 game regular season head-to-head record.

I have no idea what the JBJ / Devers / Betts / Martinez comparisons have to do with anything.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

2 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Is there a point to your post?  Not sure how you can say the Astros were the better team during the regular season when the Red Sox had a better overall record because like you said 162 game sample > 7 game regular season head-to-head record.

I have no idea what the JBJ / Devers / Betts / Martinez comparisons have to do with anything.

The Astros accumulated more WAR and had a markedly better third order winning percentage and BaseRuns winning percentage than the Red Sox, each of which are far better measures of which team was better this season than overall record, which is more subject to noise from run/hit clustering.  The reference to JBJ and Devers is meant to illustrate that the result of this series is also not a good basis for concluding that the Red Sox are better.  

9 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I agree with his evaluation.  Unfortunately Boston is also better than last year’s team and this year’s Astros.

Bregman is wrong. Last year's team was better than this one. Every single hitter in our lineup not named Bregman is worse than last year.  Some because of injuries and others because of regression.

On the mound, we look better than last year until you start to see what injuries have done there too. 

The records dont tell the whole story. This year, we were in a prolonged battle for the division. Last year we werent.

Maybe Bregman is thinking of it from an "if we weren't injured perspective" but injuries are part of the game. Last year's team was better. It had a healthy Altuve, Correa, Lance, and Morton. This one didnt. It had a better Keuchel too. And a better Springer, Gurriel, Gonzalez, and Reddick.  This one's only clearly apparent upgrade is Cole, but that is countered by a worse Keuchel and a wiped out Lance. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

I think they were better than last year, even with their injuries.  They just came up a little short and the wave of injuries in the second half didn't help.  The AL is also pretty tough right now with the accumulation of talent among a handful of super teams.  

Our personnel had better years last season.  We had more injuries.   I think we had a better pitching staff this year top to bottom.  I think they need to resign Morton if they can.  Keuchel is replaceable.  McCullers is a wild card.  This team will be back in playoffs next year.  Just need to get hot at the right time and get clutch hits.  Boston simply had a rediculous amount of 2 out hits.  That may not happen again for them.  Anyway...good season

1 hour ago, Planet Houston said:

^^ He better be ready.  We're gonna need him.

I cant imagine Hinch putting McCullers in the game knowing the extent of his injury nor McCullers putting himself at risk.  McCullers is a potential $20M a year pitcher.  I dont but it.