2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

so i've been reading some previews, and it seems our only "weakness" is our bullpen.

giles, peacock, devo, harris, mchugh, j.smith, rondon + the ability to acquire 1-2 guys in july.  i know rondon has had a rocky spring, but smith has been great.  i have no idea what role mchugh will play - maybe just a spot starter while we rotate guys on and off the 10-day.  that should save the arms in the pen quite a bit.  

yeah, i'm ok with our bullpen weakness.  

To be fair, it is a "weakness" compared to every other unit on the team (including dugout reporter)...World Champ problems

1 hour ago, ERhine said:

Holy shit they are going to be serving a Derka Dog at Minute Maid this year

One item that might stand out to people is the .45 Express taco, which is made with a Nolan Ryan hot dog and is topped with hot Cheetos

12 minutes ago, Teddyballgame said:

Holy shit they are going to be serving a Derka Dog at Minute Maid this year

One item that might stand out to people is the .45 Express taco, which is made with a Nolan Ryan hot dog and is topped with hot Cheetos

Speaking of “holy shit”...

From The Ringer:

”So the Astros bring back their Pretty Much the 1927 Yankees Offense, get a full season of Justin Verlander, and add former Pirates workhorse Gerrit Cole and veteran reliever Joe Smith, whose track record of excellent relief work stretches back more than a decade now.”

Is that good?  I can’t decide if I’m excited.

15 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

so i've been reading some previews, and it seems our only "weakness" is our bullpen.

giles, peacock, devo, harris, mchugh, j.smith, rondon + the ability to acquire 1-2 guys in july.  i know rondon has had a rocky spring, but smith has been great.  i have no idea what role mchugh will play - maybe just a spot starter while we rotate guys on and off the 10-day.  that should save the arms in the pen quite a bit.  

yeah, i'm ok with our bullpen weakness.  

Fangraphs Bullpen Projections

Not per fangraphs--according to their model we should have the second best bullpen in baseball. 

First, left and regression from Reddick, are the areas that could stand to improve.

11 minutes ago, Teddy Tucker said:

Not entirely astros relevent, but Ted isn't the only Tucker that tore up spring training this year. Preston had a great spring for the Braves. Wouldn't be surprised to see him have a good year playing full time for them. Always thought the guy could mash given enough at bats. 

Do you not remember 2 years ago when there were stretches when he was hitting in the 3 hole on the reg?

He got his chance with us.  Now if he ends up going JDM I'm sure people will gnash but they can GFT

31 minutes ago, huge said:

Do you not remember 2 years ago when there were stretches when he was hitting in the 3 hole on the reg?

He got his chance with us.  Now if he ends up going JDM I'm sure people will gnash but they can GFT

He was playing with a bad shoulder. The year before he hit damn near .250 in his rookie season. His only healthy prolonged stint in the majors. Not saying the astros made the wrong move getting rid of him, just saying I think he will prove himself worthy this year in Atlanta.