2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

3 hours ago, formermav43 said:

I find this a bit hard to believe, mostly because I already expect Fisher to get the bulk of the playing time and Marisnick to return to his role of starting against LHP and late inning defensive replacement.

Yes, I feel a natural platoon between the 2 guys offers the best solution for the immediate future. Marisnick's defense alone keeps him on the team.

35 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

I also talked to an inside source last night.  Biggest news I got was that we have no intention of offering Keuchel more than a 3-year deal, and that's if this season is successful with no injury concerns.  Our front office is pretty worried about the health of a guy like Keuchel (for good reason, given the past 2 years), in line with Bill James's analysis of the injury histories of softer-throwing lefties.

Which also aligns with the current market for similar pitchers.

On 3/25/2018 at 11:22 PM, tx 3 putt said:

any game watching plans for thursday ?

“Working from home” Thursday.  I will be watching the game with a beer in the man-cave.  I still can’t believe we are defending champs! Let’s go ‘Stros!!!

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

just a reminder that mlb.tv full season is free with tmobile tuesday.  there's a thread on slickdeals and plenty of people have been offering codes for dirt cheap.

Any other viewing options in Austin other than vpn/mlbtv or dtv/uverse?

9 minutes ago, pwinger said:

Any other viewing options in Austin other than vpn/mlbtv or dtv/uverse?

I too am interested in the answer to this.

I have a friend’s DirecTV login and also renewed my unlocator subscription to be able to use my MLB.TV subscription.

I know games are now streaming on AT&T SportsNet app but what platform is that available on? I don’t see that available on Roku

4 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I have a friend’s DirecTV login and also renewed my unlocator subscription to be able to use my MLB.TV subscription.

I know games are now streaming on AT&T SportsNet app but what platform is that available on? I don’t see that available on Roku

I never tried unlocator, does that work ok with mlbtv?

Got a coworker selling opening day tix for $250 total for 2 tickets .  Sec 425 Row 17.  Tickets must be sold together and must have MLB Ballpark app to transfer.  Will accept paypal. 

Hit me up if you are interested.

Edited by Scraps

2 hours ago, pwinger said:

I never tried unlocator, does that work ok with mlbtv?

2 hours ago, RegularSizedRudy said:

I've used it the past 2 seasons and have had zero problems with it.

Same here

this will be year #3 for me with it. Just signed up for 6 months at ~$28.

takes some fiddling with router settings at first and I remember very occasionally running in to issues watching other channels on Roku (Netflix) that i suspected were tied to changing the DNS, but got pretty good at toggling back and forth if necessary.

And for those in Austin area, I’m definitely up for hosting some game watching parties...

posted this on the old board but the man cave (dome) I inherited in my backyard when I bought my current house last fall will be getting a lot of use this year:

40869747ea17449b4541fa7d6fc39cf8.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

2 hours ago, RegularSizedRudy said:

I was wondering about the unlocator subscription on MLB.TV, feeling better about it now. Signing up tonight, thanks.

3 hours ago, RegularSizedRudy said:

If I find a deal on MLB.TV I think I will try it with Unlocator.  Last year I mostly watched games via reddit/r/mlbstreams, but it sure is easy to give your computer the clap if you click on a shady stream.

Great game. Lilshep did the base stealer again. They gave him a new base out of the box. Still has the metal stan in it. Got a high five from morton when were walking down hallway back to our seats. Dude is tall and lanky. Told him great game and best of luck.  

so i've been reading some previews, and it seems our only "weakness" is our bullpen.

giles, peacock, devo, harris, mchugh, j.smith, rondon + the ability to acquire 1-2 guys in july.  i know rondon has had a rocky spring, but smith has been great.  i have no idea what role mchugh will play - maybe just a spot starter while we rotate guys on and off the 10-day.  that should save the arms in the pen quite a bit.  

yeah, i'm ok with our bullpen weakness.  

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

so i've been reading some previews, and it seems our only "weakness" is our bullpen.

giles, peacock, devo, harris, mchugh, j.smith, rondon + the ability to acquire 1-2 guys in july.  i know rondon has had a rocky spring, but smith has been great.  i have no idea what role mchugh will play - maybe just a spot starter while we rotate guys on and off the 10-day.  that should save the arms in the pen quite a bit.  

yeah, i'm ok with our bullpen weakness.  

Yeah Fangraphs rates the bullpen #2 in MLB behind NYY. They'll be fine. 

Admittedly, I'm not a big Giles fan. I know he was mostly good in the regular season, but he's been bad for stretches ever since he got to Houston. I just don't trust that guy, fairly or not.