Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

What she shouldn’t do is wait 36 years to make the allegation and then name 3 witnesses who won’t corroborate her story.  Because if she does that, she won’t be believed.  

Clearly you’ve never represented victims of sexual abuse. I have.

You have no clue what you’re talking about.
  • Like 2

It's not a zero sum game. Democrats will be in power again. Democrats will name justices to the Supreme Court.
Conservatism always loses in the long run in this country. The change progressives want happens. 
They are good at gumming up the works, but they cannot stop change. They never can.

I’m not sure you’ve been keeping up with current events, but democracy’s getting its ass kicked, not just here, but around the world.

The things needed to right the ship are teetering on the brink. Nothing is inevitable.

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

But some of us know who's gradually losing power in this country. They look like Brett Kavanaugh and it scares them. He even said so in his opening statement. He's terrified.

Well, the average age of the GOP Senators present today was probably 80.  They certainly ain't lasting forever. Dems weren't much younger.  Time for new blood.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

But some of us know who's gradually losing power in this country. They look like Brett Kavanaugh and it scares them. He even said so in his opening statement. He's terrified.

I have no idea what this response to my post is supposed to mean or how it’s relevant, but it is a good example of what I’m talking about. 

Just now, Eskimohorn said:

I’m not sure you’ve been keeping up with current events, but democracy’s getting its ass kicked, not just here, but around the world.

The things needed to right the ship are teetering on the brink. Nothing is inevitable.

Really can’t be stated enough. Democracy is weak AF right now and when the super rich get all their pieces in place, game over.

8 minutes ago, Satchel said:

It should be noted that Preident Obama consulted with Republicans on his selection to replace Scalia before announcing his choice. He also chose in Justice Kaegan someone some Republicans had supported to be solicitor general. There has been no such attempt to even feign collegiality in the nomination process by Fat Nixon or the White House counsel.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/271286-no-signs-of-breakthrough-in-scotus-stalemate

I believe that President Trump created a list of probable Supreme Court nominees during his candidacy that were shared with the public.

Everyone knew what he was going to do.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/19/us/politics/donald-trump-supreme-court-nominees.html

Edited by Crusher

What she shouldn’t do is wait 36 years to make the allegation and then name 3 witnesses who won’t corroborate her story.  Because if she does that, she won’t be believed.  

Clearly you’ve never represented victims of sexual abuse. I have.

You have no clue what you’re talking about.

Men like Johnny are WHY women don’t report these things right away.

I know several women who have been sexual assaulted (can think of 12, if my count is right). 2 of them reported it to someone in authority. The RULE is that women don’t report. And their reasons for not doing so are pretty sound. You’re one of them.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

No fair-minded serious thinking person believes it’s more likely than not that he attacked Dr. Ford.  Because her identified eyewitnesses don’t support her story.  

He sat up there and lied about nearly everything else. Its cute that you believe him.  I'm not sure you'll get what you expect from him on SCOTUS.  He's a compulsive liar.  You want a conservative interpretation of the law.  He's actually just going to make shit up.  Gorsuch is gonna end up having to backhand him.

Edited by FondrenRoad

1 minute ago, Crusher said:

I believe that President Trump created a list of probable Supreme Court nominees during his candidacy that were shared with the public.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/19/us/politics/donald-trump-supreme-court-nominees.html

And Kavanaugh was not on that list

• Like 1

No fair-minded serious thinking person believes it’s more likely than not that he attacked Dr. Ford.  Because her identified eyewitnesses don’t support her story.  

No fair-minded serious thinking person believes Kavanaugh didn’t lie today. Repeatedly. But you don’t meet the fair-minded serious thinking person requirement.

Each appointment to our nation's Highest Court (as with all others) is simply too important to rush to a vote," Carlson wrote. "Deciding to proceed without conducting additional investigation would not only have a lasting impact on the Senate's reputation, but it will also negatively affect the great trust necessary for the American people to have in the Supreme Court."

The comments are striking because the organization gave Kavanaugh its highest rating of unanimous, "well-qualified" for the Supreme Court. Kavanaugh himself touted that rating at Thursday's emotionally-charged hearing where he denied Ford's sworn testimony that he attempted to rape her when they were teenagers.

Kavanaugh noted he was "thoroughly vetted" by the ABA.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/27/politics/kavanaugh-american-bar-association/index.html

2 minutes ago, Crusher said:

Releasing a list of Federalist Society approved judges is not the same as consulting with the loyal opposition in an effort to build consensus.

I know several women who have been sexual assaulted (can think of 12, if my count is right). 2 of them reported it to someone in authority. The RULE is that women don’t report. And their reasons for not doing so are pretty sound. You’re one of them.

I believe Amber Wyatt.

It’s not just women. Most of my sexual assault/abuse related clients have ended up being men. But they also don’t report it for a multitude of reasons. Just because they don’t acknowledge/or even remember it happened until literally decades later does not mean the sexual abuse did not happen.

I’m astounded people have this misconception.

The Dems needed a witness to put them in the same room.   Ford named 3 that night could.  And they didn’t. 
Game over.  

I thought she was credible? Why do you keep changing what Dr. Ford needs to show you for you to believe her? Every time she meets your already manufactured requirements you just move the goalposts. Sad.

Just now, Gil Bang said:

I guess i missed the part when they were questioned.  I must have gone to take a leak. 

Are you asking me if I've ever taken a leak?  You know who takes leaks, Gil Bang.  In fact, Gil Bang has a leaking problem.  I think he needed a diaper for a while, but with God's help, he got through it and he wrote a fictional book about a bunch of guys who take leaks.

They didn't have time because Kavanaugh kept answering yes/no questions with rambling unrelated stories.

Some of y’all get it. This age is ending. Something different is coming. It will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy it.

Oh. So we HAVE heard from Judge, under oath? I must have missed that.
Really can’t be stated enough. Democracy is weak AF right now and when the super rich get all their pieces in place, game over.

I thought you were the one saying the Dems are gonna come save us all.

They aren’t. It’s over.
The ABA has weighed in late this evening calling for a postponement in the scheduled vote and for an FBI investigation.

The ABA. The Jesuits. You know, the organizations that oversee his formative education and his profession. Organizations that are dedicated to morality, ethics, and professionalism.

Fuck em, have they not realized that they are irrelevant in 2018 America?

I wouldn't feel comfortable letting this guy be a middle school vice principal based on his behavior today. His lack of dignity in the face of adversity should be an automatic no vote.

Put on your fucking game face and Ollie North that shit if you are going to bother to show up. Kavanaugh was a sniveling emotional train wreck.

Ted Cruz rolled over for Trump like a little bitch and now Kavanaugh shows the nation that he has the intestinal fortitude of a marshmallow.

Where are the Republicans finding all of these cream puffs? No wonder a bully like Trump just marched in and took over the GOP.

• Like 1

Right or wrong, he'll be confirmed next week with something like 52-48.

It's going to be incredibly hard for swing Rs and Ds in red states to vote against him. Dr. Ford was totally credible, but given the lack of corroboration, I just can't see enough of Manchin, Murkowski, Collins, Donnelly, Corker and Flake voting against.

Lindsey Graham's tirade and McConnell's speech from the floor yesterday are clear signals the R base is firmly behind the "confirm" position.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Oh, it's not over. It's adorable that you think it is. Democrats will have subpoena power soon.

Great.  Have fun. Only 67 votes to impeach.  Good luck. 

Clinton was guilty as fuck on perjury.  Didn’t get convicted because of partisan dems.  

Kavanaugh is innocent.  And will be on the court for the rest of our lives.  I’m sure he’s a fair minded guy who won’t want payback for the bullshit he’s been put through.  

I'll ask you, specifically [mention=115]Johnny Sack[/mention]: setting aside Ford's accusation, are you okay with the blatant perjury you heard from Kavanaugh today? To wit, the "weak stomach" and the shit about his yearbook?

He’s not going to answer you. If he does, he’ll set an impossibly high standard for determining that he lied. Like, not unless Kavanaugh submits a sworn statement that says “I lied under oath and these are my lies.”

Everyone knows he lied. Repeatedly, purposefully, and casually. It doesn’t matter. Johnny won, that’s what matters.

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Clinton was guilty as fuck on perjury.  Didn’t get convicted because of partisan dems.  

Kavanaugh is innocent.  And will be on the court for the rest of our lives.  I’m sure he’s a fair minded guy who won’t want payback for the bullshit he’s been put through.  

He won't be on the court for the rest of our lives.

Just now, David Dennison said:

He is an idiot. This should be a layup and he's spending every last cent of political capital.

Just interested, but what conservative judge or even any neutral judge would have been acceptable for the swing vote position that Kennedy used to fill?

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

thought you were the one saying the Dems are gonna come save us all.

They aren’t. It’s over.

I’m getting kinda sick of you trying to out doom and gloom me.  My position has been consistent for a year.  We are fucked for a generation, at least.  The Dems taking over is just going to enrage the Johnny Sacks of the world even more.  

Over the next 10 years, it’s highly likely we have an economic crash and/or a major war plus all the natural disasters on top of it.  We’re fucked.  Our leaders are cowards and puppets bought by some of the worst people in the world.  This was happening before Trump.

The only hope is grassroots mobilization and some kind of enlightenment moment in American civics. My hope is Trump galvanizes such a movement but it might be too late.

pour me a scotch. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

What a wonderfully Kavanaugh-esque response. Dodge the question and throw in a “but Clinton” for bonus points. 

Look at that, folks. We went from “she’s credible” to “but without corroboration, it’s just not proven,” to “he’s innocent.” That’s how you do it, people.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

He’s not going to answer you. If he does, he’ll set an impossibly high standard for determining that he lied. Like, not unless Kavanaugh submits a sworn statement that says “I lied under oath and these are my lies.”

Everyone knows he lied. Repeatedly, purposefully, and casually. It doesn’t matter. Johnny won, that’s what matters.

Make sure you get your daughter an armed bodyguard Nancy.  Because not fucking over someone over a 36 year old allegation where the alleged victims three named witnesses don’t corroborate her story means it is open season on all women. 

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The D in that washed His hands of us a while ago. We’re on our own. And we’re doing about as poorly as you’d expect.

Days? No. Probably take 2-4 years for things to get bad enough to where everyone realizes it’s over, but of course by then it will be too late.

It’s kind of like ingesting a lethal dose of Polonium. Once you’ve ingested it, you’re going to die. But you will feel okay for a couple of days. Then you’ll feel sick for a couple of weeks. Then the end stage hits hard, and you die.

We’ve already guzzled the Polonium tea. It’s just a waiting game, now. And yes, it will be more than days. But not more than a few years.

Well, it's obvious yer not drinking good enough bourbon.