Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

This.  They guy clearly vomited and passed out in his friend's car.  That's why he completely ignored that question and instead blasted his friend for being an alcoholic.  He lied about terms in his yearbook.  The guy is a fucking liar.
The thing is that all this would have gone by quick if he just said, "Yeah, I used to get fucked up in high school.  I'm not proud of it.  I did some things I regret.  I may have done other things that I don't remember.  I'm not that high school kid anymore, and I'm truly sorry for anyone I may have hurt back then."
Instead, he's a fucking liar who doubles down on being an asshole, makes up Clintonesque definitions for words, and obfuscates even where it isn't necessary.  Its that propensity to lie that makes me think that he both attempted to rape Ford and remembers it.
And it appears to have worked. Election Day is November 6th. Vote early.

5 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Pretty clear Brett gets confirmed this weekend. Hopefully this episode destroys whatever legitimacy SCOTUS as an institution has left, and makes dem leadership more open to the possibility of packing the court if that opportunity becomes available. 

Hopefully it makes Congress more inclined to do their job and less inclined to rely on defacto legislation through the court.

The pack the court pipedream isn’t happening.

Edited by Incredulity

1 minute ago, horncyclist said:
3 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:
This.  They guy clearly vomited and passed out in his friend's car.  That's why he completely ignored that question and instead blasted his friend for being an alcoholic.  He lied about terms in his yearbook.  The guy is a fucking liar.
The thing is that all this would have gone by quick if he just said, "Yeah, I used to get fucked up in high school.  I'm not proud of it.  I did some things I regret.  I may have done other things that I don't remember.  I'm not that high school kid anymore, and I'm truly sorry for anyone I may have hurt back then."
Instead, he's a fucking liar who doubles down on being an asshole, makes up Clintonesque definitions for words, and obfuscates even where it isn't necessary.  Its that propensity to lie that makes me think that he both attempted to rape Ford and remembers it.

And it appears to have worked. Election Day is November 6th. Vote early.

...and often.....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

What is wrong with you?   I can’t imagine my wife or any of her friends posting on a college football message board, even if it was her alma mater.  Yet here you are.   Some upper middle-aged foul mouthed lady posting on a board of a team yours never plays.  Sounds like a real happy marriage there   

Do you wear fishing shirts and cargo shorts?

she obviously doesnt know her place, Sack!

Fuck yeah! Give it up!!! Let's pound some beers, bro!

Edited by yoladu

Why wouldn’t her friend remember a party where her bestie ran frantically out the front door and all the way home?

Maybe because bestie was talking to their people and didn’t notice her “frantically” run out. Did she run out? She said she got out of there, doesn’t mean she ran out all dramatically. I didn’t notice every little thing my besties did at parties.

7 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Pretty clear Brett gets confirmed this weekend. Hopefully this episode destroys whatever legitimacy SCOTUS as an institution has left, and makes dem leadership more open to the possibility of packing the court if that opportunity becomes available. 

Dems never seen to grow a spine when they have power, otherwise Bush II and his admin would have been brought in for questioning when they took back the house. To me this shit today, realizing that Kavinaugh is going to get confirmed no matter what, just proves we no longer live in a democracy. A minority of people are working powerful control over, by all statistical accounts, a majority.

Edited by GSU&UT

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

This foul mouthed woman has attacked me plenty.  I think she’s a mental case.  She’s an older lady from Alabama with a very foul mouth who likes the positive attention she gets on a Texas message board.  She’s got problems.  

So a woman who curses on Surly has mental problems? What?  I guess men who do it are just being men?

10 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

This foul mouthed woman has attacked me plenty.  I think she’s a mental case.  She’s an older lady from Alabama with a very foul mouth who likes the positive attention she gets on a Texas message board.  She’s got problems.  

You fucking snowflake.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Hopefully it makes Congress more inclined to do their job and less inclined to rely on defacto legislation through the court.

The pack the court pipedream isn’t happening.

Lol. GOP wants the market to control everything. Government exists solely  to terrorize poor people and enforce contracts. Why would they want congress to be anything other than a fucking circus?

3 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Dems never seen to grow a spine when they have power, otherwise Bush II and his admin would have been brought in for questioning when they took back the house. To me this shit today, realizing that Kavinaugh is going to get confirmed no matter what, just proves we no longer live in a democracy. A minority of people are working powerful control over, by all statistical accounts, a majority.

dawson_crying.jpg

• Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, horncyclist said:
16 minutes ago, HornPhD said:
Nail. Head. We need our politicians to get past this non-stop battle of supremacy. 

How do we do this?

I don't know. Third party? Better education system (e g., I'm from rural Western NY and went to school with a shit-ton of idiots)? 

7 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

We’re about to have a conservative Supreme Court? 

You've had a conservative supreme court for a century.  Roe v Wade still exists so dumbasses like you will keep voting conservative.  If conservatives wanted it gone, they would have made it illegal already as they've had opportunities.  They keep it alive and depend on your idiocracy to keep voting them in.

Fuuck.
Do 5 min of googling.  

I’m sorry, did they testify today? Didn’t think so. Because you nutless Republican hacks are afraid of investigating the allegations against Kavanaugh. What’s the rush? What are you trying to cover up? It’s disgusting really. I guess I should just expect it from Republicans by now.

If you actually thought he was telling the truth today then you’re a horrible judgment of character. Then again, you’re a shitbag, so that makes sense.

7 minutes ago, austingirl said:

You know, it's really fucking easy to be a hindsight life coach. If you are actually interested in learning some of the many reasons women did not report their assaults or waited a while to report them, I encourage you to go on Twitter and search for #WhyIWaited and #WhyIDidntReport.

If you are actually interested in helping women and/or getting a better understanding of why we might wait or not report, begin by not starting sentences with "Why didn't you...". When you start sentences like this, you immediately, if not consciously, suggest that she did something wrong. (BTW, that's a reason why someone might wait or not report.) 

There are very few black-and-white issues in my world. One of them - and I will beat this drum till the day I die - is that someone gets raped for the SOLE REASON that someone else decided to rape them. I don't expect everyone to believe this and I don't expect people who haven't been in that situation (or any situation where you're receiving unwanted advances) to understand. And honestly, it took me a long time to believe it myself, and it's because this conversation ALWAYS comes back to "Why didn't you do/not do X." I think most of us grew up hearing this, and it's hard to tamp it down. 

The fact of the matter is, however, that while you can't know that fear and terror if you haven't lived it, you can still show empathy. You can at least show an ounce of compassion by acknowledging that while you don't exactly know it from experience, you respect that someone else has lived it. This is what I saw none of today from the GOP. Sure, they may have tossed out a token "I'm sure it was hard for you" before launching into a tirade about what a disgrace it is that someone had the audacity to accuse a SCOTUS nominee of assault and slow the hearing process by forcing everyone to endure listening to her account of what happened. 

All I saw today from the GOP was anger toward Dr. Ford, the other accusers, and the Democrats. After #MeToo, after Bill Cosby, after "grab her by the pussy" we are still here. It is really fucking exhausting.  

The Democrats were the one’s who wronged Dr. Ford. 

1 minute ago, Tom said:

You've had a conservative supreme court for a century.  Roe v Wade still exists so dumbasses like you will keep voting conservative.  If conservatives wanted it gone, they would have made it illegal already as they've had opportunities.  They keep it alive and depend on your idiocracy to keep voting them in.

Yeaaaaaaahhhh ..........no.

Just now, GSU&UT said:

Dems never seen to grow a spine when they have power, otherwise Bush II and his admin would have been brought in for questioning when they took back the house. To me this shit today, realizing that Kavinaugh is going to get confirmed no matter what, just process to me we no longer live in a democracy. A minority of people are working powerful control over, by all statistical accounts, a majority.

True but Obama said he'd own the recession he inherited.  WTF why?  He didn't push to get more judges in?  Why not?  He could have pushed when Congress was at recess.  He didn't.  He took the high road.  Guess the views up there must be better than the ones down here.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

We’re about to have a conservative Supreme Court? 

Great.  That still means states' rights, right?  You want the commerce clause neutered?  Consider it neutered. Pollute your groundwater all you want.  I'm happy to pay you take industrial waste and let me dump it in your rivers.  Well not you since you're just a peon who will wade into the river to strip out metal, but you know what I mean.  I'll pay your boss who will pay you 50 cents an hour and let you die from lead poisoning with no healthcare.

Then let's get rid of the liberal interpretation of the right to travel.  I think a conservative interpretation would allow for border controls between the states with visa waiver style travel, but no right to change state residence unless 2 states have an explicit agreement between them.

Finally, lets take a very conservative view on the right of secession.

At the end, you can have the white only Christian state you dream of, and the Northeast and California can have the European social states they dream of.

I actually think CA should go ahead and vote on secession now.  If it passes, they should just start Calexiting, the Northeast will follow, and you and the US military will do absolutely nothing.  Civil War 2 aint happening.

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 2

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

Today's events and dialogue are clearly proving that the majority of men are still misogynistic pieces of shit. We're not making as much progress as I thought. 

These senators stand to very much enrich themselves and the corporations who donate to them by nominating someone like him. They could push through any number of judges, but I truly think they like shoving it in everyone's face that all these hearings don't matter one bit.

18 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

You’re such a pussy

She'd better hope and pray that karma isn't a thing. 

It is. But the blissful thing for him is that if she’s ever assaulted, he won’t be burdened by ever hearing that bad news, because she knows what’s up - all women do. Speak up, get shredded and turned into the bad guy.

So, Johnny will never have to hear that she got raped. AND he’ll never have to hear all the allies of the fine, innocent boy she accused tell everyone what a drunken slut she is, and/or a vindictive bitch who is just trying to ruin his life.

So, y’all don’t worry. Johnny’s gonna do fine. His daughter, maybe not so much. But he’ll never know.
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

Oh, it’s that easy to ban abortion? Why didn’t you just say so? Also, I know many conservatives that don’t have Roe v. Wade at the top of their priority list, it’s just meat for both sides. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, horncyclist said:
29 minutes ago, pacman said:
Yes, but after 36 years, we are left with he said, she said and I don't see how we can pretend that is enough.

I just saw a lot more reason to believe her and think he was lying. He did not come across as a guy being forthright at any point in this process. And I don't see how she gives that testimony if it's a lie. I can see how he could. He has every reason to lie and clearly feels entitled to a Supreme Court seat.

Agreed, in my opinion. I too find her more believable, respectable and don't want him anywhere near the court.

But, again, that isn't enough to take away his confirmation. It's the ugly truth but for very good reason. Maybe you think it is enough for further, deeper investigation.

That would make sense though with this public hearing you have tainted the memory of anybody they may interview to corroborate her story and we will never have anything physical to help set guilt.

5 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Great.  That still means states' rights, right?  You want the commerce clause neutered?  Consider it neutered. Pollute your groundwater all you want.  I'm happy to pay you take industrial waste and let me dump it in your rivers.  Well not you since you're just a peon who will wade into the river to strip out metal, but you know what I mean.

Then let's get rid of the liberal interpretation of the right to travel.  I think a conservative interpretation would allow for border controls between the states with visa waiver style travel, but no right to change state residence unless 2 states have an explicit agreement between them.

Finally, lets take a very conservative view on the right of secession.

At the end, you can have the white only Christian state you dream of, and the Northeast and California can have the European social states they dream of.

I actually think CA should go ahead and vote on secession now.  If it passes, they should just start Calexiting, the Northeast will follow, and you and the US military will do absolutely nothing.  Civil War 2 aint happening.

My, you’re a drama queen. The Republicans seem to have won this round, but it’s just one of many to come. 

9 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Today's events and dialogue are clearly proving that the majority of men are still misogynistic pieces of shit. We're not making as much progress as I thought. 

I'm with you.  I feel like the whole country is morally bankrupt.  It sucks.

Edited by Yuk