Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

Just now, DDD Dad said:

Of paying women to come forward with false accusations?

Care to name a few?

2 women come to mind in the Trump crap. One claimed that Trump abused her at some concert and gave specifics. Nothing she said turned out to be true.  The other woman made some comment about Trump molesting her on a plane trip and even though it happened 25 years ago, she also remembered the exact model of the airplane. Hundreds of airline professions came to Trump's defense claiming that due to their knowledge of that aircraft, what she said was impossible and to my knowledge, neither have been heard from since. Maybe they're waiting for their trial. Supposedly one was paid a lot of cash and the other had her mortgage paid off.

If I remember more, I will add them. BTW, Allred has a history of this kind of stuff..

3 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

2 women come to mind in the Trump crap. One claimed that Trump abused her at some concert and gave specifics. Nothing she said turned out to be true.  The other woman made some comment about Trump molesting her on a plane trip and even though it happened 25 years ago, she also remembered the exact model of the airplane. Hundreds of airline professions came to Trump's defense claiming that due to their knowledge of that aircraft, what she said was impossible and to my knowledge, neither have been heard from since. Maybe they're waiting for their trial. Supposedly one was paid a lot of cash and the other had her mortgage paid off.

If I remember more, I will add them. BTW, Allred has a history of this kind of stuff..

This is your laughable interpretation of the accusations by Jessica Leeds and Mindy McGillivray?

It's amusing that you think that a man who bragged that he could grab women by the pussy because he was a star would have an issue with, in Mindy McGillivray's case, grabbing her butt in a crowded club.  

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign

24 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Serious question: what do you think the odds are that @therealcornett just broke the news story of the year?  Keep in mind that he is in incredibly biased and vocal Trump supporter on twitter with no obvious connections and offered no proof of this claim.

Now think about how you seem to believe this doofus (give me a break with the "hope it's not true" bit) who provides absolutely no corroborating evidence, yet discount Dr. Ford.

As I have stated, I have no ide who said that assuming its true. I can say the same about Ford, she is a far left wing anti Trumper that has marched against him, signed documents against and protests against him at every opportunity.  She has provided no proof. All she did was write a letter. This is nothing more than her attempt to get at him. See I can say the same that you did. 

1 minute ago, realgreggym said:

As I have stated, I have no ide who said that assuming its true. I can say the same about Ford, she is a far left wing anti Trumper that has marched against him, signed documents against and protests against him at every opportunity.  She has provided no proof. All she did was write a letter. This is nothing more than her attempt to get at him. See I can say the same that you did. 

You seem to know a lot about this woman in a very short time.

From my favorite magazine - Commentary the home of the great Sohrab Ahmari. Beautifully written:

A Hill to Die on

Justice both delayed and denied.

Noah RothmanSept. 18, 2018brett-kavanaugh.jpg AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin According to Senate Judiciary Committee Democrat Chris Coons, Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, the woman who has accused Judge Brett Kavanaugh of sexually assaulting her when she was a minor, did not want to come forward. In an eerie echo of Anita Hill’s public ordeal, her accusations were “leaked to the media.” With her confidentiality violated, Ford had no choice but to go public. Coons could not say where that leak came from, but he did confess that “people on committee staff” had access to the letter in which Ford made her allegations. Draw your own conclusions.

Though many observers insist that what we have witnessed since Ford’s allegations were made public is about justice, it’s hard to see any rectitude in this process. Ford has been transformed into a public figure apparently against her wishes. The details of the attack that Ford alleges are deeply disturbing, but they are not prosecutable. Ford’s recollection of the events 36 years ago is understandably hazy, but what she alleges to have occurred is too vague to establish with much accuracy. She cannot recall the precise date or location in which she was supposedly attacked. Contrary to the protestations of Senate Democrats like Kamala Harris, the FBI cannot get involved in a matter that is not within the federal government’s jurisdiction. And even if local authorities were inclined to involve themselves, the statute of limitations long ago elapsed. With precious few facts available to congressional investigators and without the sobriety that public scrutiny in the age of social media abhors, the spectacle to which the nation is about to be privy is undoubtedly going to make things worse. A public hearing featuring both Ford and Kavanaugh will be a performative and political display, if it happens at all. It will be adorned with the trappings of courtroom proceedings but with none of the associated protections afforded accused and accuser alike. It will further polarize the nation such that, whether Kavanaugh is confirmed or not, public confidence in Congress and the Supreme Court will be severely damaged. And no matter what is said in that hearing, it is unlikely to change many minds.

Given the dearth of hard evidence, it is understandable that observers have begun to look to their own experiences to evaluate the veracity of Ford’s allegations. The Atlantic contributor Caitlin Flanagan is the author of a powerful and compelling example of this kind of work. Her essay, entitled “I Believe Her,” is important for a variety of reasons. Maybe foremost among them is how she all but invalidates defenses of Kavanaugh that are based on the positive character references he’s assembled from former female acquaintances and ex-girlfriends. Flanagan was assaulted as a young woman, and her abuser—a man she says drove her to a suicidal depression similar to what Ford has described to her therapist—was not interested in a romantic relationship. CNN political commenter Symone Sanders, too, confessed that “there is no debate” in her mind as to Kavanaugh’s guilt, in part, because she was the victim of a sexual assault in college. The similarities between what she endured and what Ford says occurred are too hard for her to ignore.

These are harrowing stories, but they also reveal how little any of this has to do with Brett Kavanaugh anymore. For some, this has become a proxy battle in the broader cultural reckoning that began with the #MeToo moment. Quite unlike the many abusive men who were outed by this movement, though, the evidentiary standard being applied to Kavanaugh’s case is remarkably low. His innocence has not been presumed, and a preponderance of evidence has not been marshaled against him. It is not even clear as of this writing that Kavanaugh will be allowed to confront his accuser. At a certain point, honest observers must concede that getting to the truth has not been a defining feature of this process.

In the face of this adversity, there are some Republicans who are willing to sacrifice Kavanaugh’s nomination. Some appear to think that Kavanaugh’s troubles present them with an opportunity to advance their own political prospects and to promote a replacement nominee with whom they feel a closer ideological affinity. Others simply don’t want to risk standing by a tainted nominee. The stakes associated with a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court are too high to confirm a justice with an asterisk next to his name—a justice who may tarnish future rulings on sensitive cases by association. Those Republicans are either capitulatory or craven.

Based on what we know now, Kavanaugh does not deserve an asterisk. Maybe he will tomorrow, but he doesn’t today. Those who would allow what is by almost all accounts an exemplary legal career to be destroyed by unconfirmable accusations or outright innuendo will not get a better deal down the line. Some Republicans are agnostic about Kavanaugh’s fate and believe that his being stopped will make room for a more doctrinaire conservative like Amy Coney Barrett. But they will not get their ideologically simpatico justice if they allow the defiling of the process by which she could be confirmed.

The experiences that Dr. Ford described are appalling. Even for those who are inclined to believe her account and think that she is due some restitution, no true justice can be meted out that doesn’t infringe on the rights of the accused. Those in the commentary class who would use Kavanaugh as a stand-in for every abuser who got away, every preppy white boy who benefited from unearned privilege, every hypocritical conservative moralizer to exact some karmic vengeance are not interested in justice. They want a political victory, even at the expense of the integrity of the American ideal. If there is a fight worth having, it’s the fight against that.

Lots of fancy words Garland can say fuck you to... right to confront an accuser? Evidentiary standards? Again, this is politics not a trial. And the comments about integrity are rich. Garland and damning at best / perjury at worst - evasive testimony and a black box record at the WH shove integrity in the garbage disposal. The GOP is a shitshow here. Like I said, Kavanaugh should be gone on his testimony re his WH work on judicial nominees alone.

• Like 1

You, and you alone, keep saying that. Give me some color as to why that is and why is not even fake news like CNN saying this?

Because it’s subtle, not sensationalistic and esoteric. If it isn’t about sex or power consensual or otherwise then our electorate don’t care.

Good article from the legal community op-ed...

https://abovethelaw.com/2018/09/brett-kavanaugh-perjured-himself-impeachment/

Senator Leahy’s op-ed

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/brett-kavanaugh-misled-the-senate-under-oath-i-cannot-support-his-nomination/2018/09/13/ea75c740-b77d-11e8-b79f-f6e31e555258_story.html?utm_term=.b1384a7a4bd2

29 minutes ago, troph said:

From my favorite magazine - Commentary the home of the great Sohrab Ahmari

I love their podcast, and Ahmari is such a fucking douchebag.  He's the absolute King of the "mainstream media" strawman and there is no one who more unfairly mischaracterizes his opponents. 

That being said, I think he's on the podcast just so there is someone who softens the effect of Podhoretz.  Will try to read some more of his written product.

What bothered me on the podcast is his insistence that if we let the Kavanaugh nomination get derailed, it will be open season on everyone, and it will be a totally new day. 

No it won't.  There are going to be a fairly large number of candidates who won't be accused of covering up a victim's mouth while she yelled for help.

Edited by tantric superman
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I love their podcast, and Ahmari is such a fucking douchebag.  He's the absolute King of the "mainstream media" strawman and there is no one who more unfairly mischaracterizes his opponents. 

That being said, I think he's on the podcast just so there is someone who softens the effect of Podhoretz.  Will try to read some more of his written product.

What bothered me on the podcast is his insistence that if we let the Kavanaugh nomination get derailed, it will be open season on everyone, and it will be a totally new day. 

No it won't.  There are going to be a fairly large number of candidates who won't be accused of covering up a victim's mouth while she yelled for help.

I think Sohrab Ahmari is the intellectual giant of the Iranian-American community. I’m a huge fan of his since his time at the WSJ. He is a fellow Christian convert who is writing a spiritual memoir which I have already pre-ordered. 

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

So he was asked, again in 2018, if he had anything to do with that guy Pryor's campaign and yet again lied under oath about it?
If so, I agree with you that this seems like an obvious out. My question then becomes, why are there not millions of people on the other team screaming that he has struck out here and instead just ignore the third strike swing and miss and are letting the at-bat continue (to belabor the analogy).

Because it’s esoteric, not sensationalistic, not about sex or power (consensual or otherwise) and because the party in power does not give a fuck.

I don’t think his testimony on the Russia investigation rises to the level but I think this does. I think his work to appoint judges and his discussion about flipping roe v Wade is also telling.

He’s not impartial and he has lied. He should be out.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

I don’t really  like this guy, and think holding back of documents and probable perjury is shady af, and also think that he probably got drunk af and tried to get in her pants with some degree of aggression 30 years ago.  He may even have been drunk enough to have no memory of the incident.  What I fail to see is of what use the FBI is in 30 year old he said/she said.  It’s not like there is evidence to dig up.  There are 3 people who were supposedly in the room, all of whom have given their version of events, and 2 more in the house.  I just don’t see the point.

Um I dont know, maybe they can ask the witnesses questions? Since lying to the FBI is a major crime? 

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Excellent. If she sent a similar letter to DiFi accusing Gorsuch of the same as you mentioned before, I will be buying you a glass of the finest scotch around.

This needs a link.  Holy shit if true.(not believing it, but what a tragic holy shit moment for many involved if the CA professor was that deranged)

This is art. 

Would you like me to sign it for you? Do the dems, Republicans understand how we got the orange clown as our president? It’s not because he ran as a Republican. 4 main reasons

1. He’s not a politician
2. The wall
3. SC appointees
4. He’s not Hillary
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Stros said:

Would you like me to sign it for you? Do the dems, Republicans understand how we got the orange clown as our president? It’s not because he ran as a Republican. 4 main reasons

1. He’s not a politician
2. The wall
3. SC appointees
4. He’s not Hillary

Ah, yes, that guy who ran for President of the United States of America is definitely not a politician.

Jesus christ, how do you even dress yourself?

1 minute ago, Stros said:

1. He’s not a politician
2. The wall
3. SC appointees
4. He’s not Hillary

It’s one reason.

1. Stupid people who were conned.

• Like 2

Liz Warren lacking a sense of humor there. My wife went to an elite boarding school. That's how it is. And is in a lot of high schools.

Some positions and roles require a respect and decorum above jest and internet message boards.

We are going to Nuke Canada! April Fools! Haha you pentagon guys thought i was being sers when i told you to mobilize for a strike? Haha. Dumbfucks.

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

We say “cut bait” but what we really mean is “abort” 

But the problem is they can't cut bait. It would signal that sexual assault is not ok... which Trump can't have out there. 

Best course of action would be Kavanaugh declining, Trump announcing a new pick immediately, and the senate going full force into confirming that person before the midterms. 

Just now, Skyline said:

But the problem is they can't cut bait. It would signal that sexual assault is not ok... which Trump can't have out there. 

Best course of action would be Kavanaugh declining, Trump announcing a new pick immediately, and the senate going full force into confirming that person before the midterms. 

This is semantics as they would just force Kavanaugh to withdraw and blame it on the democrats.

25 minutes ago, Stros said:

I must have struck a nerve. I will leave the liberal safe space for the night. Carry on circle jerking each other into a trump hate coma.

Go Stros, big game tonight!!!

Boy oh boy, you riled up them libtards! Showed "em the what fer! 

The remaining apologists really are bottom of the barrel bomb throwers. So very aggy. 

• Like 2

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This is semantics as they would just force Kavanaugh to withdraw and blame it on the democrats.

Yeah I was operating under the assumption that they would force Kavanaugh to withdraw since that was the context of the article. Trump will go blaming democrats for anything and everything. That's hardly a surprise.