Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

Supposedly Ford now says that she won't testify unless the FBI does a complete investigation. The FBI has vetted him several times in the past. She made accusations and she has the opportunity to explain to the Senate committee and as of now, it looks like she isn't going to testify even behind closed doors. This sounds like nothing more than a delay tactic.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would love to see her under tough cross-examination, get destroyed and recant publically which would make great TV. That wouldn’t be very Christian of me to wish that. I wouldn’t want washpark to accuse me of being a misogynist again and give him an ammo to back it up.
I'm sure he can just read your post.
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

The question now is whether Dr. Ford is going to even show up on Monday for the hearing.   Neither her nor her lawyer have responded to requests from the Senate Judiciary Committee. Maybe she is a very disturbed individual. I hope she gets help.

I hope she is willing to testify but its a jump from providing a story to be willing to be potentially cross-examined by Senators on national TV about one of the worst moments of your life.  Unlike in a courtroom, you don't have a judge that can disqualify a question.  You're opening yourself up to questions that you haven't been prepared for, as Kavanaugh spent months preparing for his multi-day interview.

I think most people would think twice about going in front of Congress with little preparation. 

Interesting twist that Sen. Collins is asking for her attorney to be allowed to ask Kavanaugh questions. And vice versa.   Is there any way that Dr. Ford can hire Michael Avenatti to be her attorney?  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Supposedly Ford now says that she won't testify unless the FBI does a complete investigation. The FBI has vetted him several times in the past. She made accusations and she has the opportunity to explain to the Senate committee and as of now, it looks like she isn't going to testify even behind closed doors. This sounds like nothing more than a delay tactic.. 

Excellent. If she sent a similar letter to DiFi accusing Gorsuch of the same as you mentioned before, I will be buying you a glass of the finest scotch around.

5 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

So lack of a perfect memory about an event makes you not credible? Kavanaugh conveniently couldn't remember many things that occurred much more recently, like whether he had a conversation within the last few months about the special counsel's investigation. 

Neither could Hillary and that didn't seem to bother libs.  The dems have a history of pulling this stuff.. If she would have stepped forward a few months ago that might be different. Kavanaugh was going to be confirmed and at the very last moment, the dems throw a Hail Mary. This isn't the first time this has happened. Its not about a perfect memory, its about not even remembering basic facts especially when she is the only person to come forward and there are far more women coming out in support of him.

But don't despair. I am sure that Gloria and her fellow snakes are actively looking for a woman that they can pay off to claim that she was molested by Kavanaugh so don't give up hope quire yet.

• Fuck You 3

1 minute ago, realgreggym said:

Neither could Hillary and that didn't seem to bother libs.  The dems have a history of pulling this stuff.. If she would have stepped forward a few months ago that might be different. Kavanaugh was going to be confirmed and at the very last moment, the dems throw a Hail Mary. This isn't the first time this has happened. Its not about a perfect memory, its about not even remembering basic facts especially when she is the only person to come forward and there are far more women coming out in support of him.

But don't despair. I am sure that Gloria and her fellow snakes are actively looking for a woman that they can pay off to claim that she was molested by Kavanaugh so don't give up hope quire yet.

LOL, great answer...BUT HILLARY! THERE ARE EMAILS!!

1 hour ago, realgreggym said:

BTW, there is news coming out and for the sake of the board libs, I hope its fake. Supposedly the reason Feinstein with held this letter is because she received a similar one from the same woman during the Gorsuch hearings. Again, for the libs sake I hope its fake.

Serious question: what do you think the odds are that @therealcornett just broke the news story of the year?  Keep in mind that he is in incredibly biased and vocal Trump supporter on twitter with no obvious connections and offered no proof of this claim.

Now think about how you seem to believe this doofus (give me a break with the "hope it's not true" bit) who provides absolutely no corroborating evidence, yet discount Dr. Ford.

6 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

You got a source for that?

2 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

The cynicism of this post is breathtaking.

2 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Yeah, women just line up to be publicly ridiculed so Gloria can pay them. This is like black folk walking around money stupid. 

Let’s all acknowledge what the stakes are here. Even if the GOP implodes, getting Kavanaugh on the bench assures a conservative majority for at least 20 years. Much like John Marshall’s long lasting impact as the last remaining Federalist impacting policy, having a conservative majority will allow for crucial victories like in Janus. This is a pure power play. 

4 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Excellent. If she sent a similar letter to DiFi accusing Gorsuch of the same as you mentioned before, I will be buying you a glass of the finest scotch around.

I just looked up Ford/Gorsuch connection, and I only see it being peddled by Reddit and QAnon people on Twitter. 

1 minute ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Let’s all acknowledge what the stakes are here. Even if the GOP implodes, getting Kavanaugh on the bench assures a conservative majority for at least 20 years.

No it doesn't.   It ensures a conservative majority until the Dems get a filibuster-proof Congress and the presidency. 

I don’t really  like this guy, and think holding back of documents and probable perjury is shady af, and also think that he probably got drunk af and tried to get in her pants with some degree of aggression 30 years ago.  He may even have been drunk enough to have no memory of the incident.  What I fail to see is of what use the FBI is in 30 year old he said/she said.  It’s not like there is evidence to dig up.  There are 3 people who were supposedly in the room, all of whom have given their version of events, and 2 more in the house.  I just don’t see the point.

8 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Let’s all acknowledge what the stakes are here. Even if the GOP implodes, getting Kavanaugh on the bench assures a conservative majority for at least 20 years. 

Well, no.  A Dem sweep of POTUS + both houses could result in you and yours getting fucked by a suddenly stacked court, but hey, that would be political, and the left doesn't play that game.

Or maybe they do.  Let's find out!

Edited by jimmyjazz

The worst part about this Dr. Ford situation is it’s become a binary choice on this one issue for Kavanaugh’s confirmation.  

It’s like if he can overcome this one accusation in the court of public opinion, he gets rubber stamped confirmed.

Nevermind all the lying, concealing, and evading that went on in the confirmation hearings. 

Those red flags shouldn’t automatically go away because this Dr. Ford lady proves to be less than credible. 

• Like 3

What I enjoyed today was the president lying about the FBI, not really doing... "investigations."

The ONLY reason I think the woman is likely no lying is she DID not, want to go public.  It's simply not logical to say, she had something imaginary happen to her, it messed up to the point she felt compelled to mention it in therapy.  I also know a lot of drunken frat boys that simply do not think that women have much value... until they have wives and daughters.  I thought back to days of my wasted youth and while I was sexually active at a young age I never, ever, ever needed to force myself on anyone.  

But the story rings true.  What kind of moron would ruin their life and battle against the machine that is running millions upon millions of dollars every day in ads in support of Kavanaugh.  It simply defies logic.  Now fire away conspiracy loons that also were unable to get laid in high school. (you know who you are?! 😉

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

No you don't. You clearly hope it's TRUE and that's why you're peddling it. 

Any confirmation Gorsuch went to Georgetown Prep? Jesus, we can't even get a diversity of prep schools in our SC nominations?

No, I hope its fake because she made the accusation and should be able to explain before the senate committee. I was merely stating what I heard. Its no different than posting a tweet.

From my favorite magazine - Commentary the home of the great Sohrab Ahmari. Beautifully written:

A Hill to Die on

Justice both delayed and denied.

Noah RothmanSept. 18, 2018
brett kavanaugh AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin

According to Senate Judiciary Committee Democrat Chris Coons, Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, the woman who has accused Judge Brett Kavanaugh of sexually assaulting her when she was a minor, did not want to come forward. In an eerie echo of Anita Hill’s public ordeal, her accusations were “leaked to the media.” With her confidentiality violated, Ford had no choice but to go public. Coons could not say where that leak came from, but he did confess that “people on committee staff” had access to the letter in which Ford made her allegations. Draw your own conclusions.

Though many observers insist that what we have witnessed since Ford’s allegations were made public is about justice, it’s hard to see any rectitude in this process. Ford has been transformed into a public figure apparently against her wishes. The details of the attack that Ford alleges are deeply disturbing, but they are not prosecutable. Ford’s recollection of the events 36 years ago is understandably hazy, but what she alleges to have occurred is too vague to establish with much accuracy. She cannot recall the precise date or location in which she was supposedly attacked. Contrary to the protestations of Senate Democrats like Kamala Harris, the FBI cannot get involved in a matter that is not within the federal government’s jurisdiction. And even if local authorities were inclined to involve themselves, the statute of limitations long ago elapsed.

With precious few facts available to congressional investigators and without the sobriety that public scrutiny in the age of social media abhors, the spectacle to which the nation is about to be privy is undoubtedly going to make things worse. A public hearing featuring both Ford and Kavanaugh will be a performative and political display, if it happens at all. It will be adorned with the trappings of courtroom proceedings but with none of the associated protections afforded accused and accuser alike. It will further polarize the nation such that, whether Kavanaugh is confirmed or not, public confidence in Congress and the Supreme Court will be severely damaged. And no matter what is said in that hearing, it is unlikely to change many minds.

Given the dearth of hard evidence, it is understandable that observers have begun to look to their own experiences to evaluate the veracity of Ford’s allegations. The Atlantic contributor Caitlin Flanagan is the author of a powerful and compelling example of this kind of work. Her essay, entitled “I Believe Her,” is important for a variety of reasons. Maybe foremost among them is how she all but invalidates defenses of Kavanaugh that are based on the positive character references he’s assembled from former female acquaintances and ex-girlfriends. Flanagan was assaulted as a young woman, and her abuser—a man she says drove her to a suicidal depression similar to what Ford has described to her therapist—was not interested in a romantic relationship. CNN political commenter Symone Sanders, too, confessed that “there is no debate” in her mind as to Kavanaugh’s guilt, in part, because she was the victim of a sexual assault in college. The similarities between what she endured and what Ford says occurred are too hard for her to ignore.

These are harrowing stories, but they also reveal how little any of this has to do with Brett Kavanaugh anymore. For some, this has become a proxy battle in the broader cultural reckoning that began with the #MeToo moment. Quite unlike the many abusive men who were outed by this movement, though, the evidentiary standard being applied to Kavanaugh’s case is remarkably low. His innocence has not been presumed, and a preponderance of evidence has not been marshaled against him. It is not even clear as of this writing that Kavanaugh will be allowed to confront his accuser. At a certain point, honest observers must concede that getting to the truth has not been a defining feature of this process.

In the face of this adversity, there are some Republicans who are willing to sacrifice Kavanaugh’s nomination. Some appear to think that Kavanaugh’s troubles present them with an opportunity to advance their own political prospects and to promote a replacement nominee with whom they feel a closer ideological affinity. Others simply don’t want to risk standing by a tainted nominee. The stakes associated with a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court are too high to confirm a justice with an asterisk next to his name—a justice who may tarnish future rulings on sensitive cases by association. Those Republicans are either capitulatory or craven.

Based on what we know now, Kavanaugh does not deserve an asterisk. Maybe he will tomorrow, but he doesn’t today. Those who would allow what is by almost all accounts an exemplary legal career to be destroyed by unconfirmable accusations or outright innuendo will not get a better deal down the line. Some Republicans are agnostic about Kavanaugh’s fate and believe that his being stopped will make room for a more doctrinaire conservative like Amy Coney Barrett. But they will not get their ideologically simpatico justice if they allow the defiling of the process by which she could be confirmed.

The experiences that Dr. Ford described are appalling. Even for those who are inclined to believe her account and think that she is due some restitution, no true justice can be meted out that doesn’t infringe on the rights of the accused. Those in the commentary class who would use Kavanaugh as a stand-in for every abuser who got away, every preppy white boy who benefited from unearned privilege, every hypocritical conservative moralizer to exact some karmic vengeance are not interested in justice. They want a political victory, even at the expense of the integrity of the American ideal. If there is a fight worth having, it’s the fight against that.