Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

4 minutes ago, retread said:

If you listen to Grassley and the rest of these asshole Rs, you'd think she's sitting around sipping on some iced tea and deciding if she wants to go to DC to testify. Maybe if she can find a few hours b/w the nail salon and taking the kids to soccer practice?

They will be hanging themselves if they do a confirmation vote before fully vetting Dr. Ford’s allegations. 

If Kavanaugh gets confirmed and Dr. Ford’s story checks out as credible afterwards, that’s going to be a huge problem politically for any Senator that voted to confirm Kavanaugh.

No ambitious Senator wants to take that risk.

They can’t go down this road without serious costs.

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

I think one thing people are overlooking is that she opens herself up to federal perjury charges in an FBI investigation if they determine she's not being truthful, right? But she also opens up Kavanaugh and all his schoolmates. She's got a canny lawyer. But I'm no law dog. 

She holds more power right now than any Senator, except maybe McConnell who can pull Kavanaugh. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

31 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Well, on the plus side for you you have very little to fear in regards to being selected for jury duty.  The most scary thing about this whole thread is that there are about fifty posters in it who need therapy more than this woman did.

Well, on the plus side for you that neg rep probably gave you half an erection.  Regarding jury duty, I will almost surely never be selected -- "what is your profession?"  "engineer"  "thank you very much, you are dismissed".  Big hammer there, Ace.

• Fuck You 1

Politics of this is interesting, in an ultra slimy sort of way.  If there was any substance here, Fineswine would have brought it up months ago. Of that, you can be sure.  We can conclude that our esteemed Senator thought there was no there there.  But that doesn't mean the democrats can't come away with a huge political win, especially since this political assassination has been planned for years.

Suppose Ford refuses to tell this fairy tale under oath.  The R's will confirm, as they should.  Then, waiting on the grassy knoll is the 2nd liar....  The D's spend the month of October talking non-stop about the Republicans elevating a rapist to the Supreme Court.  Nobody has to even perjure herself.  By the time the truth comes out (and how do you disprove 36 year old fairy tales, anyway), the damage is done.  Ugg, clever.

• Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

Politics of this is interesting, in an ultra slimy sort of way.  If there was any substance here, Fineswine would have brought it up months ago. Of that, you can be sure.  We can conclude that our esteemed Senator thought there was no there there.  But that doesn't mean the democrats can't come away with a huge political win, especially since this political assassination has been planned for years.

Suppose Ford refuses to tell this fairy tale under oath.  The R's will confirm, as they should.  Then, waiting on the grassy knoll is the 2nd liar....  The D's spend the month of October talking non-stop about the Republicans elevating a rapist to the Supreme Court.  Nobody has to even perjure herself.  By the time the truth comes out (and how do you disprove 36 year old fairy tales, anyway), the damage is done.  Ugg, clever.

Man, this thread has really brought all of the scumbags out of the woodwork.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

The main issue here is, though the Republicans love to excoriate Ted Kennedy, there are tons of "boys will be boys" skeletons out there from back when they were invincible, before the #metoo curtain fell. This has to terrify most male congressmen. Many of them, I'd bet, are one or two or ten brave steps forward from women or schoolmates in their lives from resigning in disgrace for what would once be casual assault. 

I agree.  Let the first thing to come of this be the stopping of any funding for members of Congress getting any support for accusations against them.  End the gross abuse of the taxpayer funding of the Congressional Accountability Act as well as making any of the credible abuse allegations(or worse) public for all to see.  Total shitshow:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/11/27/sexual-harassment-fund-exposes-congress-editorials-debates/898008001/

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It's sort of funny seeing all the people who still pretend that the GOP isn't an ongoing organized criminal conspiracy with a bunch of rapists as members.

Don't forget pedophile and pedophile enabler (allegedly).

Edited by retread

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It's sort of funny seeing all the people who still pretend that the GOP isn't an ongoing organized criminal conspiracy with a bunch of rapists as members.

The only difference is the GOP isn’t as cohesive as an organized crime family.  These people aren’t loyal to a code or collective guiding principles.  

It’s all about individual political self interest when making decisions. 

4 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

He didn’t write the article I linked. It was Noah Rothman

Noah came across as good on the podcast about Kavanaugh.  He doesn't hold back the necessary contempt one should hold for the defenders of Trumpism and in this podcast, he wasn't jumping to the idiotic conclusions that SA was jumping to.  The Iranian Catholic apologist for Trump is another story.

Podhoretz, of course, is above all of us.

I really do like the podcast, however.  Podhertz is just too clever, Rothman is nice and impassioned and usually the most correct, Abe is sort of the stuttering straightman, and SA is the designated douche.

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

This is a total shit show. 

Its political theater which makes it an intentional shit show. All of the political actors involved need to be bull whipped for throwing a toga party while Trump takes daily yellow diarrhea shits in public.

Lighten the fuck up Francis. Damn it why did I get pulled into into this fucking cesspool of a thread. 

To be fair you’ve been a pretty significant contributor to the shit posts over the last 24 hours.

Nowhere close to Chrispy or Stros, but significant nonetheless.

And we wonder why women don't come forward more often. If they do in high profile cases like this, they may be subjected to an 'invitation' to be questioned by a bunch of men up on a platform looking down at them asking them intrusive questions about a painful and vulnerable time in their life with no interest in the search for truth.

As for the "timing" issue - she went to visit her Rep (Eshoo) when BK was nominated to tell her what happened. They talked it over and Ford decided to write a letter but wanted anonymity. She doesn't want to fucking testify or fight to score political points. Naive, yes. But doesn't mean she has to testify for her account to be true.

Also, the R's don't really give a shit about BK and his reputation or career. They want that majority ASAP. BK is expendable. Also he would just go back to his current judgeship and remain connected and affluent.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

What's lost in all of this is how stunningly effective the Democrats are at beating the Republicans at their own game.

I wonder how they'll fuck it up.

They are holding strong. They better get ready to do this all the time if they're going to match the DOTUS mob.

1 minute ago, DDD Dad said:

To be fair you’ve been a pretty significant contributor to the shit posts over the last 24 hours.

I gave my thoughts as unpopular as they are and expounded on them unlike David Denison and Johnny Sack.This thread is bringing out Machiavellian thoughts about how I’d deal with this situation that I don’t like.  

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

Kavanaugh isn't gonna make it, folks.

it's getting to Johnny Sad Sack--badly.  Apparently it bothers him enough to share with his wife and kids and they laugh about a judge and rape.  There's a whole lot of triggered mental issues being served up here in a post to a bunch of anon posters.  

Edited by Mdhorn

1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

Noah came across as good on the podcast about Kavanaugh.  He doesn't hold back the necessary contempt one should hold for the defenders of Trumpism and in this podcast, he wasn't jumping to the idiotic conclusions that SA was jumping to.  The Iranian Catholic apologist for Trump is another story.

Podhoretz, of course, is above all of us.

I really do like the podcast, however.  Podhertz is just too clever, Rothman is nice and impassioned and usually the most correct, Abe is sort of the stuttering straightman, and SA is the designated douche.

I’d love be to write for Commentary. I should ask Sohrab if I could join the gang because I’d fit right in. I could write article after article criticizing the Palestinians, Islamists, leftists, etc. I think other than Sohrab all of the rest of the writers are conservative Jews. It’d be like heaven.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

1 minute ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I’d love be to write for Commentary. I should ask Sohrab if I could join the gang because I’d fit right in. I could write article after article criticizing the Palestinians, Islamists, leftists, etc. I think other than Sohrab all of the rest of the writers are conservative Jews. I’d fit right in. It’d be like heaven.

I'd be interested in reading your thoughts on the bombing of the King David Hotel and terrorism's role in creating the modern state of Israel.

I bet it would be a great read.

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I'd be interested in reading your thoughts on the bombing of the King David Hotel and terrorism's role in creating the modern state of Israel.

I bet it would be a great read.

I would write articles expressing my admiration for Netanyahu and Gen. Sisi as being the two best leaders in the Middle East and tie them into a historical analysis of Ataturk and Shah Reza Pahlavi, who are my heroes.

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

Fineswine sat it on for months solely to sabotage this nomination at the last second and that is exactly how it is playing out.  She wants this nomination to sink and wants to make sure the nomination has to go through after the mid-terms.  That is the only reason she sat on it IMHO.

3 minutes ago, deech said:

Fineswine sat it on for months solely to sabotage this nomination at the last second and that is exactly how it is playing out.  She wants this nomination to sink and wants to make sure the nomination has to go through after the mid-terms.  That is the only reason she sat on it IMHO.

Of course that’s the reason. The confirmation was sailing along and they had to pull this out of their ass. This is the same sanctimonious group of assholes who lionized  Chappaquiddick Ted who impugned Robert Bork and claimed his nomination would result in back alley abortions and the reimposition of segregation. American politics is a shit show. I can’t stand grandstanding fucks who think they’re above the fray. I’d show no mercy and ram this nomination through. The GOP needs to stack the courts before everything implodes. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Of course that’s the reason. The confirmation was sailing along and they had to pull this out of their ass. This is the same sanctimonious group of assholes who lionized  Chappaquiddick Ted who impugned Robert Bork and claimed his nomination would result in back alley abortions and the reimposition of segregation. American politics is a shit show. I can’t stand grandstanding fucks who think they’re above the fray. I’d show no mercy and ram this nomination through. The GOP needs to stack the courts before everything implodes. 

Shit show like not giving Merrick Garland a hearing and holding seat open (and many others federal seats) more than 400 days or changing Senate rules that have been norms for ages to essentially rush judges through with 50 votes.  Withholding 1000's of documents.  Only unloading the documents labeled "Committee Confidential" (a made up term) hours before confirmation hearing.  And the R's complained about getting Kagan's docs just two weeks before hearing.

Edited by Yuk
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, deech said:

Let’s say she didn’t sit on it.  How would it have played out?  We would have likely missed all the other reasons Kavanaugh is a shitty nominee.  The whole confirmation would have been about this from the get go.

While Feinstein was being strategic, it was more fair to Kavanaugh to bring this up at the end instead of the beginning.

The American people got a chance to evaluate Kavanaugh on his legal views and professional work instead of his alleged attempted rape in high school.

If Kavanaugh didn’t prove himself misleading and deceptive AF during the hearings, this issue might not have come up the way it did.  If Kavanaugh was forthright, candid, and transparent during the confirmation hearings, his word would be much more credible than Dr. Ford’s.

But no, he turned out to be just another GOP good old boy scumbag.

Womp Womp

• Like 1