Mexican Restaurants Where They Hide in the Back If They Think You Only Speak English

RDCanecutter

21 hours ago, TornACL said:

I'm amazed by anybody who lives in Texas and can't speak enough Spanish to order Mexican food at a restaurant. I mean if you're an adult, by this point, you should have picked up enough to at least be able to do that.

Reminds me of when my mom was impressed with my "bilingual skills" because the waitress, walking around with a pot of coffee in hand, asked me "Mas café?" and I answered "Si, gracias".

Yeah takes years of education and practice to understand that café means coffee.

Moms are often proud of their children for no significant reason and praise them for small things.  They probably don't realize this will lead to their kids describing them as a grade A shit for brains on the internet.  

31 minutes ago, Aphelion said:

Moms are often proud of their children for no significant reason and praise them for small things.  They probably don't realize this will lead to their kids describing them as a grade A shit for brains on the internet.  

It's funny because it's true!

20 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Other key components are as follows:

-Pictures of featured food items on the menu

-Receipt given to you by the waitress, but you pay at the register

-Chicle at the register

-Horchata fountain behind the register

eso si que es. For ten bonus points there might also be a regular Mexican Bus Line stop there that only people who regularly go to Mexico know about. You're there eating, and up pulls a big coach, with people stepping off who got on in Saltillo or Queretaro.

There was an Arandas that saved my sanity several times in Waco, and the Mexico bus would stop there. I don't normally leave piles of spare peso coins as tips, it'd be a cruel joke, but at that place I knew the waitress could convert them within 5 minutes.

16 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

In the spirit of the OP,  my ex gf once complained to one of her friends (in my presence) that I seem to prefer restaurants that have a screen door.   She had some issues, but she wasn't stupid.  

How else you gonna let the breeze in, and the flies out?

The Brat is Back!

Laredo: El Diamante, in the shadow of the parking garage where the Greyhound station is.

They don't hide if you only speak English. This joint is 5 blocks from Mexico, and next to an Oxxo store. You either learn a little Spanish, or lose weight.

I think they've got an horchata machine.

Long hall-like room, you sit there and eat, and listen to the buses pulling in or out. Feels like you're somewhere in Mexico City.

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.5054845,-99.508477,3a,21.2y,112.31h,83.83t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sybXQgykcdLcbEwS29BShDQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

16 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

There was an Arandas that saved my sanity several times in Waco, and the Mexico bus would stop there. I don't normally leave piles of spare peso coins as tips, it'd be a cruel joke, but at that place I knew the waitress could convert them within 5 minutes.

RIP Arandas Waco. The cabrito there was nice and greasy. 

On August 27, 2018 at 11:29 AM, RDCanecutter said:

Well hell, if all y'all Buffalo Wild Wings generica denizens haven't kicked in now that the thread's been up 7 minutes, guess I'll inspire y'all by example.

Down the road there's a Fiesta-ish Mexico-Plex called "Mi Pueblo". Inside it is a sort of chow hall with a gut-buster buffet, but they make things to order. The waitress saw me and hid in the back. She peeked out once or twice, then hid again. I guess it didn't help that I was carrying a notebook.

Finally got a cook's attention and he ran her out to talk to me. I'm guessing she was Honduran, dunno. Anyway, they fixed me 2 enormous gorditas de lengua for 5 bucks, with whatever that sprinkly white cheese is called, and some lime and green sauce. It was good.

Then I walked back out and left.

Greenspring or Pelham?  I hit the Pelham location regularly.

11 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Yup that La Tapatia is good.  Plenty of flies, marginal air conditioning, mountains of food.  

They do speak a little too much English but I give them a pass for that, being in the midst of suburbia and all.

On 8/27/2018 at 1:09 PM, Ollie Slatt said:

I dig this thread.  Someone throw out some legit Austin examples so I can go sample them. 

I like Borrego, Taco More and Mi Tradicion, but I am guessing those don't quite qualify for this thread.  They all tend to have at least one member of the waitstaff that speaks English . . . which is who they send to my table under the correct assumption that my Spanish sucks.    

On 8/27/2018 at 9:14 PM, Spaulding Smails said:

Taqueria #3 La Escondida (Ben White just east of Manchaca.  I drop my truck off at Discount Tire to get tires rotated and balanced and enjoy a nice huevos rancheros breakfast with nopalitos).

what do you tip the grease monkey on a job like that?

Taqueria y Panaderia La Perla, Belton, 6th Ave.  Stop on your way to TX/ou for great breakfast tacos, fucking awesome carnitas, lots of good bakery stuff.

Features the all-important refurbished beverage cooler with a crooked door, housing Jarritos/medio litro cokes and squirt bottles with the good salsa.

• Like 1

I dig this thread.  Someone throw out some legit Austin examples so I can go sample them. 

I like Borrego, Taco More and Mi Tradicion, but I am guessing those don't quite qualify for this thread.  They all tend to have at least one member of the waitstaff that speaks English . . . which is who they send to my table under the correct assumption that my Spanish sucks.    

I think Borrego counts, although I haven't been in a while. The thread title reminded me of Cicso's... where they seat all while people in the back room. 

On 8/29/2018 at 11:03 AM, SimonBolivar said:

RIP Arandas Waco. The cabrito there was nice and greasy. 

Go to El Taco Mexicano right up the street from original George's.  It's hidden in an old rundown Strip Center about 2 blocks from George's.  Cash only.  They have a taco called the Diablo Taco, and it's the greatest hangover cure on earth aside from a proper bowl of Pho or menudo.  

Diablo taco consists of shaved porkish substance on a spit stick  (like a gyro) with sauteed onions, garlic, cabbage, and habaneros.  They come with a mango habanero salsa.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Go to El Taco Mexicano right up the street from original George's.  It's hidden in an old rundown Strip Center about 2 blocks from George's.  Cash only.  They have a taco called the Diablo Taco, and it's the greatest hangover cure on earth aside from a proper bowl of Pho or menudo.  

Diablo taco consists of shaved porkish substance on a spit stick  (like a gyro) with sauteed onions, garlic, cabbage, and habaneros.  They come with a mango habanero salsa.  

MIL lives on Speight (like any true good Mexican) and I must say that the al pastor there reminds me of CDMX. I may have to head over there tomorrow for dinner.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

MIL lives on Speight (like any true good Mexican) and I must say that the al pastor there reminds me of CDMX. 

Nice.  Also, if I'm not mistaken, they're only open during the evenings.  All the local cooks go there to eat late on the weekends

Edited by Trey3216

21 hours ago, Limp Brisket said:

Greenspring or Pelham?  I hit the Pelham location regularly.

I was at Greensprings. I ride past the Pelham location fairly regularly, may have to check it out too.

PS: supposedly the is a Salvadorean place operating out of an apartment/private home somewhere in Alabaster/Pelham. Will have to seek more info.

Edited by RDCanecutter

50 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I was at Greensprings. I ride past the Pelham location fairly regularly, may have to check it out too.

PS: supposedly the is a Salvadorean place operating out of an apartment/private home somewhere in Alabaster/Pelham. Will have to seek more info.

Yeah I get my skirt steaks and a few other things from the one on 31, I live in Chelsea,  good customer service at the Pelham spot. There is a bad ass place in Centerpoint called Taqueria Tafoya that has damn good enchiladas, different, not Texas style like I’m used to but killer.  Let me know on the Salvadoran deal.  There used to be a Gordo’s at 31/119 but it’s gone now.

Edited by Limp Brisket
  • Like 1