Mexican Restaurants Where They Hide in the Back If They Think You Only Speak English

RDCanecutter

Let us sing the glory of the local Mexican joint where the waitresses hide in the kitchen if you walk in looking all non-Mexican because they don't speak any English, or maybe they do, but they think you're some kind of cop.

There should be work trucks with ladders parked outside.

Signs should include some form of fluorescent poster board and magic marker.

Servings should be heart-attack large.

There should be a shrine to The Virgin Mary and some reference to a home village/region on a poster, behind the register.

Extra points for cash only, and/or a restaurant name that evokes a battle from the Revolucion.

I'm amazed by anybody who lives in Texas and can't speak enough Spanish to order Mexican food at a restaurant. I mean if you're an adult, by this point, you should have picked up enough to at least be able to do that.

Reminds me of when my mom was impressed with my "bilingual skills" because the waitress, walking around with a pot of coffee in hand, asked me "Mas café?" and I answered "Si, gracias".

Yeah takes years of education and practice to understand that café means coffee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well hell, if all y'all Buffalo Wild Wings generica denizens haven't kicked in now that the thread's been up 7 minutes, guess I'll inspire y'all by example.

Down the road there's a Fiesta-ish Mexico-Plex called "Mi Pueblo". Inside it is a sort of chow hall with a gut-buster buffet, but they make things to order. The waitress saw me and hid in the back. She peeked out once or twice, then hid again. I guess it didn't help that I was carrying a notebook.

Finally got a cook's attention and he ran her out to talk to me. I'm guessing she was Honduran, dunno. Anyway, they fixed me 2 enormous gorditas de lengua for 5 bucks, with whatever that sprinkly white cheese is called, and some lime and green sauce. It was good.

Then I walked back out and left.

Edited by RDCanecutter
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I'm amazed by anybody who lives in Texas and can't speak enough Spanish to order Mexican food at a restaurant. I mean if you're an adult, by this point, you should have picked up enough to at least be able to do that.

Reminds me of when my mom was impressed with my "bilingual skills" because the waitress, walking around with a pot of coffee in hand, asked me "Mas café?" and I answered "Si, gracias".

Yeah takes years of education and practice to understand that café means coffee.

California too.  But my problem is even though I took 4 yrs of Spanish in HS, my wife is pretty fluent so I always let her do all the talking.  So I got so rusty I don't trust myself anymore.

I've known way too many white people that purposely stumble through an order and waitstaff experience at a Mexican dive so as not to "stoop to their Mexican/Spanish" level.  Same dipshit though heads to Olive Garden for his "fancy night out" and tries to sound like Gualtiero Marchesi ordering dinner and wine from the obviously-not italian server.  

Con leche

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

I thought my Texmexican was good enough to get me around Spain.  They just looked at me like I was aggy when I talked to them.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

I also didn't realize cojita cheese was some sort of rare article that people wouldn't know what it is called.

People probably know its name, but I didn't. I don't know the names of most things in English, much less in Foreign. I just point, bark, and scratch at the case.

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

Truth in posting, I haven't lived in Texas for over 20 years. But when I go back I can certainly still order in Messican, and some other importante things.
Like - Una mas cerveza, muy fria por favor and then of course donde esta el bano

I dig this thread.  Someone throw out some legit Austin examples so I can go sample them. 

I like Borrego, Taco More and Mi Tradicion, but I am guessing those don't quite qualify for this thread.  They all tend to have at least one member of the waitstaff that speaks English . . . which is who they send to my table under the correct assumption that my Spanish sucks.    

3 minutes ago, Ollie Slatt said:

I dig this thread.  Someone throw out some legit Austin examples so I can go sample them. 

I like Borrego, Taco More and Mi Tradicion, but I am guessing those don't quite qualify for this thread.  They all tend to have at least one member of the waitstaff that speaks English . . . which is who they send to my table under the correct assumption that my Spanish sucks.    

It still qualifies.

2 hours ago, TornACL said:

Lessons from Grendel...

2 hours ago, Native Horn said:

Cotija cheese, on the other hand, is fairly common.

I wish.  Just left my local DFW area Albertson’s and they’ve stopped carrying cotija.  Dammit.

HEB, please get your asses up here.

More on topic, El Gallito de Jalisco on Wurzbach in San Antonio... haven’t been in years, but they were the opposite of thread title.  They would only speak Spanish and would just enjoy the awkwardness if you couldn’t speak Spanish.  I think it was the 2002 World Cup when we’d watch games there over breakfast.  Great food.  Dammit again, now I’m hungry.

Edited by solamente73

Other key components are as follows:

-Pictures of featured food items on the menu

-Receipt given to you by the waitress, but you pay at the register

-Chicle at the register

-Horchata fountain behind the register

My recommendations.  Most are south-ish.

Taqueria #3 La Escondida (Ben White just east of Manchaca.  I drop my truck off at Discount Tire to get tires rotated and balanced and enjoy a nice huevos rancheros breakfast with nopalitos).

Taqueria Arandas (multiple locations around town)

Casa Linda Taqueria (way South First)

Taqueria Peloncitos (Stassney near Kizer GC)

El Chanclas Taqueria (183 S @ 812)

49 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Other key components are as follows:

-Pictures of featured food items on the menu

-Receipt given to you by the waitress, but you pay at the register

-Chicle at the register

-Horchata fountain behind the register

My recommendations.  Most are south-ish.

Taqueria #3 La Escondida (Ben White just east of Manchaca.  I drop my truck off at Discount Tire to get tires rotated and balanced and enjoy a nice huevos rancheros breakfast with nopalitos).

Taqueria Arandas (multiple locations around town)

Casa Linda Taqueria (way South First)

Taqueria Peloncitos (Stassney near Kizer GC)

El Chanclas Taqueria (183 S @ 812)

Perhaps one more criterium. Liga MX on the very old TV in the corner.