Shit's Borked

RPM

k, some changes incoming in the next 30 minutes.

Sticky bottom completely gone from mobile for registered users, video ads now closeable, no sidebars on desktop for registered users and just a few less ads in general. 

give it a bit and give some feedback please

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, immamac said:

Sticky bottom completely gone from mobile for registered users, video ads now closeable, no sidebars on desktop for registered users and just a few less ads in general. 

You sure about that? Five ads before you even get to the topic list.

Screenshot_20221010-162102_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5613261a3a5bd32fcd4a78bb1781950a.jpg

am i crazy in thinking this is not @immamac's day job and that he's mostly doing everything he does here by himself, just for the hell of it? i mean i realize sometimes shit gets borked, but i'm assuming he doesn't have QA or testing staff, DBAs or developers to troubleshoot, etc...right?? 

i'd like to determine if i should be more appropriately outraged lol

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Tweets not loading for anyone else?

you are treefiddy you shouldn't have any issues since none of the ad code even loads for you - There has been an issue in the past where twitter cookies get sideways and embeds just get borked. I'd clear cache/cookies on twitter.com and see if that helps.

2 minutes ago, Capt. Squints said:

It's a little better, but not by much. The website is practically unusable at the moment.

They are reading this so let them know what makes it unusable. Screenshots or just descriptions help tremendously. It should not interfere with the usability of the site. 

iPhone, using Firefox, but same thing on Safari. Not signed in. Screen is greyed out, the "x" on the ad doesn't work. The "open this topic on" box can't be clicked because the ad box is placed over it. 

image.png.276d626efade2783ec69f17bb10e11d7.png

4 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

iPhone, using Firefox, but same thing on Safari. Not signed in. Screen is greyed out, the "x" on the ad doesn't work. The "open this topic on" box can't be clicked because the ad box is placed over it. 

image.png.276d626efade2783ec69f17bb10e11d7.png

Man I fucking hate tapatalk. I wish it would just die in a fucking fire. are you sure the x isn’t working and it’s not just hard to press? 

on my iPhone 13 it works fine on every browser. On my android phones that I test with it also works in all the major browsers I tested. 

Just now, immamac said:

Man I fucking hate tapatalk. I wish it would just die in a fucking fire. are you sure the x isn’t working and it’s not just hard to press? 

on my iPhone 13 it works fine on every browser. On my android phones that I test with it also works in all the major browsers I tested. 

I've tried it literally dozens of times over the past 3-5 days. iPhone 11. Not sure what version of the OS is running. 

Just checked and I can press the "X" on the ad box and there is an effect that shows it is being pressed, but nothing happens. I'd just ignore it all, but since the screen is greyed out, I can't click any links, including navigate through pages. On the forum pages the "open this topic on" doesn't show and I can click around.

55 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I've tried it literally dozens of times over the past 3-5 days. iPhone 11. Not sure what version of the OS is running. 

Just checked and I can press the "X" on the ad box and there is an effect that shows it is being pressed, but nothing happens. I'd just ignore it all, but since the screen is greyed out, I can't click any links, including navigate through pages. On the forum pages the "open this topic on" doesn't show and I can click around.

Yeah let me see if I can get you a cookie that will disable that pop up. 

55 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Have you tried landscape? Or requesting desktop site? 

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

Yeah let me see if I can get you a cookie that will disable that pop up. 

Have you tried landscape? Or requesting desktop site? 

Landscape -- no changes.
Desktop site -- removes the "open this topic on" box and thus frees up the screen, so that works. The "x" on the ad doesn't work.

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Landscape -- no changes.
Desktop site -- removes the "open this topic on" box and thus frees up the screen, so that works. The "x" on the ad doesn't work.

That’s really weird that both your devices can’t close out the ad.

4 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Landscape -- no changes.

See if it’s better now on iPhone 

11 minutes ago, royiv said:

The video ads can't be x'd out on either my Android or iPhone without actually clicking on the ad. 

Yeah I noticed that this morning. Weird ux for sure. But you can just slide your finger on the ad to the corner then tap it and it works. That's not at all intuitive. 

@immamac not sure if this is helpful but I had another post with a video ad instead of embedded content that went empty after the ad played. 

a couple posts later someone had quoted the post, and the tweet was embedded as normal inside the quote box. 

when I hit refresh, the original post remained blank, but when I requested desktop site the tweet appeared. 

but what I don’t get any of is the pop ups that others are mentioning. 

and it’s not every tweet that gets replaced. Can’t find a pattern there. 

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

@immamac not sure if this is helpful but I had another post with a video ad instead of embedded content that went empty after the ad played. 

a couple posts later someone had quoted the post, and the tweet was embedded as normal inside the quote box. 

when I hit refresh, the original post remained blank, but when I requested desktop site the tweet appeared. 

but what I don’t get any of is the pop ups that others are mentioning. 

and it’s not every tweet that gets replaced. Can’t find a pattern there. 

Yeah that's been happening to me some as well. I'll try to figure that out with their team, but they did have a fix for all Twitter embeds they may just need to add something else. 

20 hours ago, immamac said:

Feedback same. 

18 hours ago, SurlyBDR said:

I signed out and signed back in. All is working properly. No ads since you fixed me up on Thursday. 

Signed out and back in. Same shit. Using Safari on iPhone and Chrome on desktop. Same on either platform. 

17 hours ago, immamac said:

Yeah I do all of it and have 2 children under 3 and run all the tailgates and all the other stuff. So time is a bit short. 

I didn’t ask you to have 2 kids. All that sounds like a personal problem to me. 

4 hours ago, Capt. Squints said:

It's a little better, but not by much. The website is practically unusable at the moment.

It’s worse. 

3 hours ago, Cornpop said:

I think we have the incurable, deadly kind of aids. Not the Magic kind

You stole my line. But yes, Mercury, full-blown AIDS, not Magic HIV+. 

1 hour ago, royiv said:

The video ads can't be x'd out on either my Android or iPhone without actually clicking on the ad. 

Nope. Unusable. 

24 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Feedback same. 

Signed out and back in. Same shit. Using Safari on iPhone and Chrome on desktop. Same on either platform. 

I didn’t ask you to have 2 kids. All that sounds like a personal problem to me. 

It’s worse. 

You stole my line. But yes, Mercury, full-blown AIDS, not Magic HIV+. 

Nope. Unusable. 

Also there are significantly less ads than not logged in for you. I just tested it. 

I know some of you think it's funny to come in here and troll me, but I'm trying to help you. Sorry you are seeing ads that you should have always been seeing on a free site. I never do subscription begging or reminders and the site is fully self sustainable on current treefiddy membership. Everything above and beyond goes to fun shit IRL and NIL - not my pockets. 

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, immamac said:

Also there are significantly less ads than not logged in for you. I just tested it. 

I know some of you think it's funny to come in here and troll me, but I'm trying to help you. Sorry you are seeing ads that you should have always been seeing on a free site. I never do subscription begging or reminders and the site is fully self sustainable on current treefiddy membership. Everything above and beyond goes to fun shit IRL and NIL - not my pockets. 

I’m not trolling you at all. I was kidding about the personal problem thing. How do I use Android on an iPhone?

Just now, Porterhouse said:

I’m not trolling you at all. I was kidding about the personal problem thing. How do I use Android on an iPhone?

The experience is exactly the same. It's based on <meta> tags which are compatible even with browsers from the fucking early 2000s. Early on the logic was messed up, but you are getting the correct meta tag. The video ad not closing easily is understood and I'm working on that. The rest of it isn't true. You aren't seeing more ads than before, you are seeing less - there's no ads at the top of pages anymore and there's less ads in content for your user group. 

+1 to the ad issues.

I've tried logging out and back in.

I'm on chrome on Android.

Every new page I open, I immediately have to close one ad that blocks the bottom nav bar and another video ad that blocks a significant portion of the screen.  After closing these, they reappear as I scroll through the topic.

About half the time, closing the video ad results in clicking through the ad so I have to go back.  Things are running slowly enough that often clicking back does nothing, so I click back again and it takes me to the main forum list rather than to the topic I was trying to view before the ad redirected me.

All of this started mid to late last week, and I've seen no change in my experience over that time.

I was previously a tapa user but have migrated to using only the site in the last few months.  This has me wanting to go back, but sticking it out in hopes this is short lived.

Not trying to gripe @immamac, just trying to provide more info to help track down what's going on.

4 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

+1 to the ad issues.

Every new page I open, I immediately have to close one ad that blocks the bottom nav bar and another video ad that blocks a significant portion of the screen.  After closing these, they reappear as I scroll through the topic.

About half the time, closing the video ad results in clicking through the ad so I have to go back.  Things are running slowly enough that often clicking back does nothing, so I click back again and it takes me to the main forum list rather than to the topic I was trying to view before the ad redirected me.

All of this started mid to late last week, and I've seen no change in my experience over that time.

I was previously a tapa user but have migrated to using only the site in the last few months.  This has me wanting to go back, but sticking it out in hopes this is short lived.

Not trying to gripe @immamac, just trying to provide more info to help track down what's going on.

This is a very useful post. I'll look at addressing this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

+1 to the ad issues.

@immamac good description of my issues as well - Chrome on iphone and iOS. 
And agree that things are way faster - this is in no way complaining. 

3 hours ago, immamac said:

The experience is exactly the same. It's based on <meta> tags which are compatible even with browsers from the fucking early 2000s. Early on the logic was messed up, but you are getting the correct meta tag. The video ad not closing easily is understood and I'm working on that. The rest of it isn't true. You aren't seeing more ads than before, you are seeing less - there's no ads at the top of pages anymore and there's less ads in content for your user group. 

I’m not trying to not be helpful. I honestly don’t know how to use Android via an iPhone?  I suspect I could use Chrome on my iPhone, just as I have on my Mac desktop, but I thought Android was specific to Samsung a la Safari is Apple’s default browser. If you’re telling me I ought to be running either Chrome or Android on my iPhone and I should download those apps, I will do so. 

The infiltration of ads is significantly increased on Safari from about 1-2 weeks ago. I can’t really use it like I used to. Perhaps there are fewer ads that I’d become accustomed to, but there are pop-up ads all over the place, and ads as you scroll down each page of a thread. This is why I think I thought you’d deleted some posts - because I hit a shit ton of ads and thought I’d read the last post on this thread. 

23 hours ago, immamac said:

That’s really weird that both your devices can’t close out the ad.

See if it’s better now on iPhone 

It is. The "open topic on" box is no longer appearing, so I can browse as normal. The 'x' on the ad doesn't work, but given the screen size the ad space isn't that intrusive. Thanks.

20 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Whatever you've done already is night and day from the last week.  Things are flying now.

Mine is still slow from last week (that was understandable).  Click on a topic, it loads in 10ish seconds.  

(wired connection at 125 meg down, W10 Pro on chrome.)

Might I suggest turning off then turning the computer back on and installing Microsoft Plus! ? 

I never experienced any issues with ads last week, but the site is still running noticeably slower for me. Clicking on  a thread topic might take up to 10  seconds for the new page to start loading. It doesnt make the sight unusable like the ads probably did, but just pointing out that site performance has degraded noticeably. Primarily using chrome on a laptop.

28 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I never experienced any issues with ads last week, but the site is still running noticeably slower for me. Clicking on  a thread topic might take up to 10  seconds for the new page to start loading. It doesnt make the sight unusable like the ads probably did, but just pointing out that site performance has degraded noticeably. Primarily using chrome on a laptop.

I'll look into it. What server are you on by chance? (Cookie monster) https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/cookie-checker/

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

i'll second this...my ad issue was fixed quickly last week but opening a thread is slow, 8-10 seconds. I'm on web01 rn but it's the same regardless (i've tried deleting my cookie).

Chrome on mobile Android

40 minutes ago, Cornpop said:

Mine is still pretty fucked up. Usable but pages load slowly, excessive ads and one that pops up in the middle of the screen, disappears in about 20 secs and no way to close it. Maybe we should get tested?

the video ad is closable, it's just not inuitive to close it - we are working on that. 

looking into the slowness. 

• Hook 'Em 1