Shit's Borked

RPM

12 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I've also been experiencing slowness (Chrome/Android). 

And not that it especially bothers me, but in case it's somehow diagnostic, I think that the font size is sometimes scaling down a point or two here and there. Doesn't seem to be ongoing or pervasive (refreshing seems to fix it). 

Yeah I was messing with some settings to try and get it to speed up - I think that is what you were seeing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, immamac said:

yeah shit's flying now. I think there was an issue with the new ad company and my cache I got them synced up it seems now.

I was getting some weird video ads this morning on posts that looked like there embedded pictures or tweets, but I haven't seen them this afternoon.

kthanxbye

4 hours ago, jetsfan76 said:

Still getting the same tapa notification, which is blocked by an immovable ad on my Android as of this evening.

The tapa notification isn't removable unless I disable tapatalk. I'm still wondering how that ad isn't dismissable even though it has the x. What phone/browser/os version are you on? 

On 10/7/2022 at 8:19 AM, immamac said:

The ads are there by design. It's a feature to make the experience as unpleasant as possible. 

Then why not just get rid of that forum? What’s the sense in labeling it “The largest political forum in the great state of Texas,” which sounds boastful, while admitting that you’re trying to make it as unpleasant to use as possible? It doesn’t make sense.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Getting these ads on PC and phone:

image.thumb.png.3234773fe6df1e2531a0503c48d1f100.png

Worst part is, they're all Greg Abbott ads.

This is a bug with lazy load Twitter embeds. I'm sorry you are seeing these for now while it's getting fixed but stop acting like this ruins your experience. It doesn't happen all the time. It also happens to me. 

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Then why not just get rid of that forum? What’s the sense in labeling it “The largest political forum in the great state of Texas,” which sounds boastful, while admitting that you’re trying to make it as unpleasant to use as possible? It doesn’t make sense.

There's a way to get rid of ads. Use it or stop coming to a longhorn board to talk politics. 

21 hours ago, B00M said:

This site has fucking aids and its not getting better. I'm having to beat back ads just to make this post. The site is unusable. Android chrome

I don’t visit the site on desktop anymore. It’s fucking annoying. Hope the checks from the ads are good because it’s bound to drive plenty of people away. 

24 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

I don’t visit the site on desktop anymore. It’s fucking annoying. Hope the checks from the ads are good because it’s bound to drive plenty of people away. 

How do some of you use the internet? The video ad is getting pulled today there's too many issues with it that aren't being resolved quick enough. I feel like the rest of the ads are fine and actually way better than before. 

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Really?  

Stop being a fucking troll. You know you aren't supposed to see the fucking ad and that it isn't intentional and it's nowhere close to ruining your experience. We get it you want to make me look like a big stupid idiot and the entire site is ruined so you get cool internet high fives. I'm legitimately trying to help and comments like yours are fucking childish and don't help at all. They piss me off because some people put legitimate feedback and that helps tremendously. 

• Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, immamac said:

This is a bug with lazy load Twitter embeds. I'm sorry you are seeing these for now while it's getting fixed but stop acting like this ruins your experience. It doesn't happen all the time. It also happens to me. 

There's a way to get rid of ads. Use it or stop coming to a longhorn board to talk politics. 

Honest question that I will ask yet again. How in the world do I stop ads from coming up in every forum?  I have no clue. Can you explain it to me like I’m 5?  I’ll wait. Some more. 

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Man, y'all should really get some nextDNS ad filtering and JavaScript blocking in your lives. Makes the internet a much less crappy place 

This is literally the only site I visit where pop ups are an issue ... Active forums are RARE today. Every forum I used to visit is dead EXCEPT surly. I really hope our aggy overlord didn't just kill it.

2 hours ago, immamac said:

Stop being a fucking troll. You know you aren't supposed to see the fucking ad and that it isn't intentional and it's nowhere close to ruining your experience. We get it you want to make me look like a big stupid idiot and the entire site is ruined so you get cool internet high fives. I'm legitimately trying to help and comments like yours are fucking childish and don't help at all. They piss me off because some people put legitimate feedback and that helps tremendously. 

Fuck you.  I'm paying for no ads and I'm getting ads, so I posted to let you know and you got personal because you're a thin-skinned pussy who knows he sucks at this.  Please unbunch your panties and do better.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Fuck you.  I'm paying for no ads and I'm getting ads, so I posted to let you know and you got personal because you're a thin-skinned pussy who knows he sucks at this.  Please unbunch your panties and do better.

Hey, there’s Beau Vine calling someone a thin-skinned pussy again. Except you didn’t say “fragile” this time. You must remember your catchphrases for maximum irritant factor. Bragging on a message board about paying for no ads is a sign that you’re a rather large loser. 

But @immamac, he ain’t wrong, and your definition of intrusive is wishful thinking. 

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Eyeroll... Managing a website can be a PITA, and constantly dealing with complaining people is a whole lot like 'work' and I am happy that immamac bothers to put up with that shit so we all can make stupid drunk posts when we feel like it. There are certainly things that could be improved, but the above is just a petulant tantrum. Please unbunch your panties and do better.

That said, the secret really is NoScript. (Sorry immamac, but I do run all the ads hosted by surlyhorns.com.)

2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Honest question that I will ask yet again. How in the world do I stop ads from coming up in every forum?  I have no clue. Can you explain it to me like I’m 5?  I’ll wait. Some more. 

57 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Even in there its no ads the only thing that seems to be populating is the twitter ads which are borked. Which is apparently what @Beau Vine is bitching about and I've told the ad company to fix. I'm not saying his gripe isn't correct I'm saying him coming in and posting like it's actively ruining every post and making the site unusable for him is fucking bullshit and it's not helping. 

2 hours ago, B00M said:

This is literally the only site I visit where pop ups are an issue ... Active forums are RARE today. Every forum I used to visit is dead EXCEPT surly. I really hope our aggy overlord didn't just kill it.

which pop-ups are you seeing? Have you seen them in the last 2 days? i'm pretty sure the only thing you should at all be seeing is the sometimes bugged out twitter embed with replaced video that doesn't do anything but replace the tweet and doesn't follow you around. 

16 minutes ago, Genghis said:

On s103 and just a minute ago was very adamantly told I needed to know about this Mexican cell phone rechargeable plan. Maybe I'm being told I need to go into hiding or maybe my ads are still broke.

Screenshot_20221014-145802_Chrome.thumb.jpg.bfa4eecc0b95088004f63c45a64debc6.jpg

Hahahahaha maybe you need to get on that. 

I'm going to see if we can't fix that it seems like you are in a forum root, maybe some of those are just borked for content showing vs ads on the ux for mobile you should ever see just add like this. 

2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Hard pass. Wouldn’t pay $0.42. It’s the principle, not the cost. 

The principle that you expect to get things for free?

you want to participate without paying, you get ads. And when shit goes sideways with the ad delivery system, you fucking deal with it until it gets repaired or you go away. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

you want to participate without paying, you get ads. And when shit goes sideways with the ad delivery system, you fucking deal with it until it gets repaired or you go away. 

Get things?  What am I getting, exactly?  I’ll tell you, a place to get lambasted on PM by our owner.  I respectfully asked how I could get rid of the issue, but over a week-long period he was either wrong (I was never banned), unresponsive or a huge dick. So I was a dick in return. We don’t like each other, and that’s fine.  I’m here for one reason and will deal with it, but I’m not going to pay him. 

23 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It's really not rocket surgery. 

47 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Get things?  What am I getting, exactly?  I’ll tell you, a place to get lambasted on PM by our owner.  I respectfully asked how I could get rid of the issue, but over a week-long period he was either wrong (I was never banned), unresponsive or a huge dick. So I was a dick in return. We don’t like each other, and that’s fine.  I’m here for one reason and will deal with it, but I’m not going to pay him. 

Access is what you get. You not only get to lurk and read what gets posted, but you get to participate if you choose.  For free. 

7 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Well Rex is pissed off about a website that he gets access to for free. 

Pony up the tree fiddy and you can necro neg Penelope like Sack.

I’m not pissed. I’d have been fine if imma had said “you gotta subscribe now” but instead he blew me off and lied for a week. You can be a weirdo and and nerd and I’ll tolerate you. I won’t if you’re gonna be a dick too. 

Hope you had fun yelling at clouds Tuesday listening to the ticket.