Dallas Cowboys 2018 Regular Season Thread

Vic Mackey

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Local press is finally catching up..... LOL!  Why would they be the last folks to report?  Maybe flying back, but no wifi?

About yesterday....

Double coverage equal a mediocre corner and the sideline that has never been friendly to Cooper.

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yes, this secures the fecals, skins or ginas drafting the receiver that Dallas would have taken and watching him dominate for the next 5 years, while Cooper continues to disappoint and is gone by 2020.

4 minutes ago, DougO said:

Just listened to Charles Woodson, a former teammate of Cooper,  say he didn't see Amari as a number one receiver, not the kind of guy that will "go and make a play for you" when you need it. He agrees with me. Total panic move.

Cooper better show something he hasn't shown in a long time, or this will be another horrible deal.

We all know he is not showing anything in this environment. We will have him run the same stale, boring routes. He will just look like another guy out there.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

That logic is about as dumb as saying a long interception on 3rd down is as good as a punt. Except you don't punt on 3rd down.

Tell me which 1st round picks cost this amount of money and only have 1.5 years left on their deal? Yeah...They can do whatever they want to spin this. It was a terrible knee jerk reaction move by Jerry as he got desperate and panicked. Like he did for Galloway and Williams.

I agree that it's a bad trade. Cooper could have a great career in Dallas, and that 1st round pick could turn out to be a bust, but it still doesn't mean it's a good trade. It's objectively an overpay.

6 minutes ago, DougO said:

It also guarantees no critically needed DT or S drafted in the first round next year, which they likely wouldn't have done anyway.

It's already been reported they were heavily invested in drafting a WR in the first round next year...... Now, that can always change, but it was obvious we needed to upgrade the position.  The whole " nameless and talentless" WR corp with a great rushing attack doesn't work in today's NFL.  I don't like the cost and we still have much bigger structural issues like the front office, head coach, and antiquated offensive scheme, but I doubt we would have drafted a safety in the first next year.  It doesn't jibe with Stephen's positional cost chart which he and McClay live by.  Maybe a DT and we definitely need help up the middle.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Eagles turn their attention to Devonte Parker now.  Feels like the want to move Agholor into the slot and were looking for an outside WR.  Cooper's not going to all of sudden make Garrett a good coach unfortunately.

Butler cut..... 

Edited by Patrick Bateman

The fecals are laughing their asses off right now about how they played the Cowboys again.

Maybe the Gods will smile on us and Amari will have renewed enthusiasm for the game and blossom into the receiver everyone once thought he would be. Maybe he thrives in a different system. Maybe his presence opens up lanes that have not been open and the offense takes a big step forward. Maybe Victoria's Secret will call me and make me a generous offer to shoot their new catalog.

4 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It's already been reported they were heavily invested in drafting a WR in the first round next year......

Nobody needed to report that. Now they have invested a first round draft pick and huge salary for a player that did not live up to his draft stock.

So not only do the Cowboys not upgrade with a rookie on the cheap for five years, they throw away their potential to use a first round pick to upgrade any other position of need.

9 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I agree that it's a bad trade. Cooper could have a great career in Dallas, and that 1st round pick could turn out to be a bust, but it still doesn't mean it's a good trade. It's objectively an overpay.

This trade just makes zero sense. Let's say the 1st round pick next draft was going to be a WR. Ok great. Why not just wait until then and get your guy? This season is a waste. We are fighting to try and win the special olympics division where the winner will be a quick out like the Skins were in 2015. You only make a splash move like this if you believe Cooper can win it all right away. How far away are we from the Rams? Light years. Hell are we even at the Packers, Vikings, Saints level which is in the next tier of teams? Right now I say no. I think we are with the Bears, Lions, Bucs. Teams that just fart and piss along but have zero shot to really win anything of value.

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

This trade just makes zero sense. Let's say the 1st round pick next draft was going to be a WR. Ok great. Why not just wait until then and get your guy? This season is a waste. We are fighting to try and win the special olympics division where the winner will be a quick out like the Skins were in 2015. You only make a splash move like this if you believe Cooper can win it all right away. How far away are we from the Rams? Light years. Hell are we even at the Packers, Vikings, Saints level which is in the next tier of teams? Right now I say no. I think we are with the Bears, Lions, Bucs. Teams that just fart and piss along but have zero shot to really win anything of value.

What calms me is that the new coach next year will probably know how to utilize Cooper going forward...

4 minutes ago, DougO said:

Nobody needed to report that. Now they have invested a first round draft pick and huge salary for a player that did not live up to his draft stock.

So not only do the Cowboys not upgrade with a rookie on the cheap for five years, they throw away their potential to use a first round pick to upgrade any other position of need.

People are doing whatever they can to try and spin this god awful shit trade. Oh we were already going to use a WR in the 1st round? Oh by all means, that makes it better! Well except for the fact he is way more expensive, only has one year left after these 9 games left oh and he leads the league in drop percentage. And he pretty much quit in Oakland. So he already showed is a selfish loser. Man, what a move!

9 minutes ago, DougO said:

my laughter will never end if Tyron Smith retires after this year and they're stuck with no 1st rounder and have to replace him with some boob off the street or pay 60 jillion dollars for a replacement

Edited by michaelpshayes

1 minute ago, Ricky Butler said:

What calms me is that the new coach next year will probably know how to utilize Cooper going forward...

You think Garrett is fired after this season? I honestly think he does enough to save it and it makes me throw up thinking of it. Watch, we are going to come out after the bye and beat the Titans at home to get to 4-4. Jerry is going to sell it that Dak does not need a new coach in his last year of his deal and Garrett and his loser coaches needs an offseason to get Cooper fully implemented.

If anything, you will see the re-arranging of deck chairs. Linehan will fall on his sword.

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

People are doing whatever they can to try and spin this god awful shit trade. Oh we were already going to use a WR in the 1st round? Oh by all means, that makes it better! Well except for the fact he is way more expensive, only has one year left after these 9 games left oh and he leads the league in drop percentage. And he pretty much quit in Oakland. So he already showed is a selfish loser. Man, what a move!

Amari will catch a deep ball now and then, maybe take a hitch and go for some big yardage, he's a great athlete. But I don't see him as a number one guy, or a reliable catcher of footballs. I like it better than the disaster they avoided with Sammy Watkins. That's my positive spin...best I can.

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

You think Garrett is fired after this season? I honestly think he does enough to save it and it makes me throw up thinking of it. Watch, we are going to come out after the bye and beat the Titans at home to get to 4-4. Jerry is going to sell it that Dak does not need a new coach in his last year of his deal and Garrett and his loser coaches needs an offseason to get Cooper fully implemented.

If anything, you will see the re-arranging of deck chairs. Linehan will fall on his sword.

I hope they fire him, but yeah, I'm skeptical as well. Someone start emailing Jerry clips of what McVay has done for the Rams.*

*Or maybe VHS tapes.

3 minutes ago, DougO said:

Amari will catch a deep ball now and then, maybe take a hitch and go for some big yardage, he's a great athlete. But I don't see him as a number one guy, or a reliable catcher of footballs. I like it better than the disaster they avoided with Sammy Watkins. That's my positive spin...best I can.

But Sammy would not have costed a 1st rd, right? That is the big deal here. Cooper's salary, the little time he has left and the fact we used the premium pick. Such a disaster of a move. We are getting trashed in the national media and rightfully so. The only people I see spinning this is local guys. But the fans are not buying it for the most part. We have all seen this movie. It doesn't end well.

Rams used a 1st on Cooks. But they got him 2 full years and they already have a great team and coaching staff in place and they felt he was the guy who could elevate them. That is the only way you make this move. Not a team who is in 3rd fucking place in the shit ass East.

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

But Sammy would not have costed a 1st rd, right? That is the big deal here. Cooper's salary, the little time he has left and the fact we used the premium pick. Such a disaster of a move. We are getting trashed in the national media and rightfully so. The only people I see spinning this is local guys. But the fans are not buying it for the most part. We have all seen this movie. It doesn't end well.

Rams used a 1st on Cooks. But they got him 2 full years and they already have a great team and coaching staff in place and they felt he was the guy who could elevate them. That is the only way you make this move. Not a team who is in 3rd fucking place in the shit ass East.

yep if this was Dak's rookie year and you're 7-1 and if you could have shipped a first rounder for Aaron Donald or Earl Thomas you do that instantly to put your team over the top ....now you've got a shitty team with a shitty coach YOU ARE NOT GOING TO WIN SHIT and you mortgaged your future for a 1.5 year contract ....idiocy 

look what the eagles did last year 7-1 they go out and get a runner that puts them over the top, now they weren't stupid enough to spend a first rounder, but that's how you use a mid season trade ...

you don't give away the most valuable thing you have for a 13 million dollar contract with 1 year remaining 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

They're on their way to a head-on collision with 8-8 and a draft pick in the teens.

They are not an 8-8 team. When they are 5-7, at best (assuming they best Tenn and Wash, which are big question marks), they’ll start tanking games, or they should to ensure a higher pick. I know that won’t do that, but that’s what they could do. 

Total panic move in a down season. Just let the year play out and fire Garrett. And Stephen Jones thought it was a good move which makes me real sad considering he'll be running the franchise for the next 30 years.

1.5 years left on his deal and will need to be paid like a #1 WR. Leads the league in drops. And gave up a 1st rounder (cheap young guy and under team control for five seasons).

Still need deals for D law, Byron Jones, Cole Beasley, Dak etc Tyron Smith may very well be on his way to retirement. 

8 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Total panic move in a down season. Just let the year play out and fire Garrett. And Stephen Jones thought it was a good move which makes me real sad considering he'll be running the franchise for the next 30 years.

1.5 years left on his deal and will need to be paid like a #1 WR. Leads the league in drops. And gave up a 1st rounder (cheap young guy and under team control for five seasons).

Still need deals for D law, Byron Jones, Cole Beasley, Dak etc Tyron Smith may very well be on his way to retirement. 

oh they'll get them all done and push the cap hit down the road for 10 years, guaranteeing they'll blow goat ass until 2025 

14 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

They are not an 8-8 team. When they are 5-7, at best (assuming they best Tenn and Wash, which are big question marks), they’ll start tanking games, or they should to ensure a higher pick. I know that won’t do that, but that’s what they could do. 

The funny, shitty, sad thing is, we are absolutely going to finish 8-8 or within a game either way.   

Its exactly what we deserve for keeping Garrett Top around 

5 minutes ago, DougO said:

And now that he has a star on his helmet I'm looking forward to this brute being called for offensive interference more than any other WR in the league.

I thought the same thing. At least half of his highlight plays were super obvious OPIs. Dez would've been flagged just about every time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Trade a 1st round pick for a free agent QB? Why? There is no QB out there in free agency worth a damn that will warrant a 1st round pick. If you have a good QB, you are keeping him. Unless you are KC and are going to the younger guy. 

And the 2019 QB class for the draft is going to be awful. I would not want to spend the 1st rd pick there, either.

while Dak has his faults and needs to play better, he is a guy who needs a good support staff. Meaning coaching. His QB coach is fucking Kellen Moore who was so bad, that Dak made him quit football. Offensive coaches who have no idea how to design a gameplan or utilize their players to play to their strengths. Do you think Mahomes and Goff would look how they do under these cracker jack coaches? Absolutely not. I'd love to see what offensive minds like Reid and McVay could do with Dak. I guarantee you he'd look better than here.

No idea. I’m not looking at FA QBs. I’m thinking about a guy like Keenum or Alex Smith. 

Just now, Rex Kramer said:

No idea. I’m not looking at FA QBs. I’m thinking about a guy like Keenum or Alex Smith. 

Does Keenum and Alex Smith do much for you? Keenum does zero for me. I think Dak is better than him. Alex is good when you have him in Harbaugh and Reid's system. Not sure what he would do here. Alex Smith definitely doesn't look like he used to with Reid.

I wouldn't mind Keenum as a backup. Anything is better than 2 QBs who have taken zero NFL snaps.

I think this thing turns out better than most here are predicting.  Seems like the kind of player who might step it up his contract year and have some value.  And this year he fills a hole that really needed filling.  Not great and yeah we probably slightly overpaid, but not that bad either.  But hey, overreaction Surly is the best Surly.

I think this thing turns out better than most here are predicting.  Seems like the kind of player who might step it up his contract year and have some value.  And this year he fills a hole that really needed filling.  Not great and yeah we probably slightly overpaid, but not that bad either.  But hey, overreaction Surly is the best Surly.
Overreaction Surly? Fucking lulz. Dallas is getting trashed Nationwide and by most fans. Gee I wonder why? Because this trade was terrible. And makes no sense in our current situation

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

The funny, shitty, sad thing is, we are absolutely going to finish 8-8 or within a game either way.   

Its exactly what we deserve for keeping Garrett Top around 

This team and coaching staff do not have the ability to win 8 games. This is a 6-10 team, at best. 

52 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Does Keenum and Alex Smith do much for you? Keenum does zero for me. I think Dak is better than him. Alex is good when you have him in Harbaugh and Reid's system. Not sure what he would do here. Alex Smith definitely doesn't look like he used to with Reid.

I wouldn't mind Keenum as a backup. Anything is better than 2 QBs who have taken zero NFL snaps.

You are insane. Keenum and Smith are significant upgrades. You are fast becoming a Dak apologist. He is terrible. 

25 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Alex Smith is under contract long-term.  Case Keenum?  JFC..... He's a backup who duped Elway.  Those are terrible options.  

I’m not suggesting either would/could come here. I’m not suggesting you trade a first rounder for those particular individuals. I threw them out because they along with Cousins were the big QB pickups in the offseason. All are significantly better than Dak. 

Ok, so Jerruh was supposed to do his normal Monday morning interview with 105.3 tomorrow and he has apparently cancelled.   Either he’s furious about the criticism from the two afternoon shows, or he’s firing Garrett.   If you’re gonna do it, this is the week.   Doubt he’d have the balls to do it after getting a player 

Ok, so Jerruh was supposed to do his normal Monday morning interview with 105.3 tomorrow and he has apparently cancelled.   Either he’s furious about the criticism from the two afternoon shows, or he’s firing Garrett.   If you’re gonna do it, this is the week.   Doubt he’d have the balls to do it after getting a player 
In hindsight, I'm sure it had to do with working out the trade. Or he was hungover. Or both.