HORNS FB INJURIES (2020)

LTtxfan

11 hours ago, ztejas said:

What the fuck is our training staff even doing. How is it acceptable to have a guy like this on the roster that is always dinged up with random shit that never points to anything chronic? We can't, idk, maybe change his weight routine or something or find a world class PT to work with?

That's not even getting into the myriad other injuries that we've had across the board since Herman started coaching. Maybe I'm overreacting and this is the reality for every other team but it sure as shit doesn't seem like it, or like it was the case with past Texas teams.

I think you’re on to something.  We never hear about these types of injuries with the other women’s sports ...

Yeah!! More Cade Brewer in the slot! Sweet, the LB from the other team will never know what hit them.

I believe 100% that JW has just muscle bound his body too much and is in a place where he will never stay healthy. I would keep that kid away from weight room and have his ass in a stretching/yoga/pilates etc. He will never be able to stay healthy as he is. Great talent and wish the kid the best but I am afraid he will never make it through a season here current course and speed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

The amount of soft tissue injuries is alarming amongst the team as well. We thought Benny Wylie was bad but Yancy may be the fucking worst. Not to mention, when's the last time we didn't have someone go down in a game. Guarantee you'll see 2-3 at least go down against Baylor. Ridiculous 

I member when everyone was geeked out to get him cause skins on the wall or some shit.

30 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Do other schools have the injury issues we have? I mean i don’t pay attention to them like I do Texas. But RB last year, slot WR this year... all the other injuries

We never had the rash of soft tissue injuries with Fat Dog like we are having with Fancy. Think about that. 

13 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

We never had the rash of soft tissue injuries with Fat Dog like we are having with Fancy. Think about that. 

True, but there never awards for how much bad weight you lost and how much muscle you gained so I guess we have that going for us right? /s

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Wilson said:

With such perfect hydration, how can we possibly have soft tissue injuries?

Think it's turf toe for Caden. 

All the build-up for how great Sterns was gonna be at TEXAS might just be wrong.  He's been a poor tackler, lacks physicality, and plays much slower than a great safety should play.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Can't wait to see what expected starters/contributors opt out with some last second injuries.  I think anybody remotely feeling a twinge is choosing to sit out vs playing through for this shitty HC.

But I thought the team is so unified and together??

Edited by LTtxfan

Any insider news on Ehlinger injuries??  Sam has to be hurt right??

Going on record that Casey better be getting enough reps in practice in case Sam can't play at some point -- DABO prepared for Trevor not being available so Mensa better have Casey ready!!

Chip posted an injury update with Sam, Whittington, and Ingram in the title. It's behind the paywall though.
Let me guess, for $9.95, you can learn that Whittington is hurt, Sam is fine/probable (he will play), and Ingram is a big who cares.

(Chip Brown) Morning Brew: Injury updates on Ingram, Whittington, Ehlinger

— Hearing Keaontay Ingram's right ankle injury suffered against Oklahoma State could keep him out of the lineup for West Virginia this week and that Ingram and receiver Jordan Whittington (hip flexor sprain) are both likely to be ready for Texas' game against Kansas on Oct. 21.

Whittington has missed the last two games - against Baylor and Oklahoma State - with what Tom Herman called "a very, very freak sprain of his hip flexor." The injury didn't require surgery - just rest. Whittington played in the opener against UTEP and caught two passes for 45 yards before missing the next two games against TCU and Texas Tech due to arthroscopic knee surgery.

Whittington was the Longhorns' leading receiver against Oklahoma with 10 catches for 65 yards but has been out since with the sprained hip flexor. The 22nd-ranked Longhorns (4-2, 3-2 Big 12) have an off-week following Saturday's 11 am CT game against the Mountaineers (4-2, 3-2), which should give Ingram's ankle time to heal up before facing the Jayhawks in Austin.

Ingram carried the ball twice for 5 yards on back-to-back plays against Oklahoma State, including a 1-yard touchdown run with 8:31 left in the first quarter. On a 4-yard run before his touchdown, Ingram appeared to suffer the ankle injury as his right foot was trapped under OSU linebacker Malcolm Rodriguez as Rodriguez twisted Ingram to the ground.

Ingram is the team's second-leading rusher (53 carries, 250 yards, 4.7 ypc, 1 TD) behind quarterback Sam Ehlinger (78 carries, 284 yards, 3.6 ypc, 7 TDs), followed by Roschon Johnson (42 carries, 192 yards, 4.6 ypc, 2 TDs) and freshman Bijan Robinson (39 carries, 181 yards, 4.6 ypc, 0 TDs). Robinson got his second straight start at running back against Oklahoma State and led the team with 13 carries for 59 yards (4.5 ypc), followed by Johnson, who had nine carries for 49 yards (5.4 ypc).

— Quarterback Sam Ehlinger was very limited in practice last week with a painful left calf contusion, which has impacted Ehlinger's ability to run and step into throws, a source close to the situation told Horns247.com.

Ehlinger played through a quadriceps contusion suffered against Texas Tech that limited him in practice for TCU and OU, sources said. Texas then had an off-week for Ehlinger to heal up, and then he took a helmet to his left calf against Baylor that "severely limited him" in practice last week, the source said. "Sam's playing through a lot of pain," the source said. "It's definitely affected his ability to run and step into throws. But the guy doesn't complain. He's a warrior."

— Texas has lacked any kind of consistency this season at its most critical slot receiver position because of injuries.

So the best development offensively from Texas' 41-34 overtime win at No. 6 Oklahoma State was probably Jake Smith catching seven passes for 70 yards, including a go-ahead touchdown pass from Sam Ehlinger on fourth-and-7, putting the Longhorns up 34-31 with 4:27 left. That 12-yard TD pass to Smith was his second fourth-down catch on a 15-play, 59-yard touchdown drive that took 7:48 off the clock and was extended by a fourth-and-22, roughing the punter flag on Oklahoma State.

Those kinds of clutch catches develop the kind of trust between quarterback and receiver that Ehlinger had with slot receiver Devin Duvernay, who didn't miss a game (or any of the passes thrown his way) last season while posting 106 catches for 1,386 yards and nine touchdown receptions in 2019. Ehlinger mentioned last week it's been difficult to develop chemistry with his receivers this season because of so much rotation, and undoubtedly he was referring to the slot position, which typically leads the team in receptions in Tom Herman's offense.

Texas hasn't had the same slot receiver start back-to-back games at any point this season. Jordan Whittington started the opener against UTEP, then missed the next two games due to minor knee surgery. Smith missed the first two games with a hamstring injury (UTEP) and illness (Texas Tech), then started against TCU before pulling his hamstring in pre-game warmups of the Oklahoma game. With Whittington and Smith out, graduate transfer Brenden Schooler played the slot against Texas Tech. But Schooler has been limited with a quadriceps injury the last few games.

— How 'bout this: Joseph Ossai is the first Power Five player to record at least 12 tackles, six tackles for loss and three sacks in a game since Nebraska’s Ndamukong Suh did so against the Longhorns in the 2009 Big 12 Championship Game (12 tackles, 6.0 TFLs, 4.5 sacks).

Ossai is one of only six FBS players to achieve all three of those totals in a game since 2000. He was named the Walter Camp Defensive Player of the Week after his monstrous performance in UT's 41-34 overtime win at No. 6 Oklahoma State. Ossai recorded the best game of his collegiate career with 12 tackles, six tackles for loss, three sacks, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery – all career-highs – as Texas erased an 11-point, third-quarter deficit to claim its first road win over a top-10 opponent since 2010 (at Nebraska).

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

"Sam's playing through a lot of pain," the source said. "It's definitely affected his ability to run and step into throws. But the guy doesn't complain. He's a warrior."

Ugh. Maybe he should complain.

It might be time.

thompson_casey_412_practice_p1801.jpg

On 11/2/2020 at 6:19 AM, LTtxfan said:

Any insider news on Ehlinger injuries??  Sam has to be hurt right??

Going on record that Casey better be getting enough reps in practice in case Sam can't play at some point -- DABO prepared for Trevor not being available so Mensa better have Casey ready!!

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

— Quarterback Sam Ehlinger was very limited in practice last week with a painful left calf contusion, which has impacted Ehlinger's ability to run and step into throws.  Ehlinger played through a quadriceps contusion suffered against Texas Tech that limited him in practice for TCU and OU, sources said. Texas then had an off-week for Ehlinger to heal up, and then he took a helmet to his left calf against Baylor that "severely limited him" in practice last week, the source said. "Sam's playing through a lot of pain," the source said. "It's definitely affected his ability to run and step into throws. But the guy doesn't complain. He's a warrior."

Casey needs to be added to the game plan vs Moonshiners -- maybe 8-10 snaps !!!

Casey_Thompson.0.jpg

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I just thought of a nightmare scenario. What if Casey comes in on Saturday and tears it up to the extent that suddenly we have to think about keeping Herman?

I know that isn't likely, but it seems ominously possible.

Yeah, not likely, however, I would think it damns TH even more. Casey’s been available all season.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I just thought of a nightmare scenario. What if Casey comes in on Saturday and tears it up to the extent that suddenly we have to think about keeping Herman?

If he did come in I bet he would be successful because Tom wouldn't be afraid to let him run. There'd be no "pitch count" like with Sam... But then if he had to start the next game, we'd see the 3.5 quarters of Turtle Tom Offense we all know and love, and your scenario would quickly solve itself.

29 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Not having a quality running QB threat (sorry Sam) really weakens this current Mensa Turtle Offense...

12 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

How does a left calf strain hamper a right handed qb throwing? Serious question.

I’d think throwing off your back foot would be hard to do on a lot of throws. It probably hurt worse when he had to step into deeper throws. 

• immamac changed the title to HORNS FB INJURIES (2020)