Dallas officer kills man after mistaking apartment for her own, police say

'stache

Just now, miguelito said:

The news this morning said she's moved out of those apartments.  They didn't say where she moved, but if I lived in any other apartment complex, I'd be nervous as shit.

Dude, just keep yer fucking music down, and vape instead of blowing the TokeMaster.  Sheesh, this ain't rocket science.

Just her Pinterest posts alone should have had her on desk duty, can only imagine what her Twitter, etc. posts consisted of. I know police dept's. are on tight budgets, but do they not have anyone scanning social media for outrageous or disturbing posts? Can't Internal Affairs do this? From a PR standpoint alone, you would think this would be a priority.

4 minutes ago, irockalltherocks said:

Just her Pinterest posts alone should have had her on desk duty, can only imagine what her Twitter, etc. posts consisted of. I know police dept's. are on tight budgets, but do they not have anyone scanning social media for outrageous or disturbing posts? Can't Internal Affairs do this? From a PR standpoint alone, you would think this would be a priority.

There may be a First Amendment problem with that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, irockalltherocks said:

What makes you think they found her posts to be outrageous or disturbing?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, irockalltherocks said:

Well, you're the counselor, but don't employers do this already? People get termed all the time for ridiculous online posts. Put it in the code of conduct, reprimand if violated.

The problem is that it doesn't apply to private employers (no state action), but does to public ones.  It still might be possible to do it some way, but it isn't easy, and, as Buck notes, might receive quite a bit of resistance from internally and the various police unions/associations.

This story is about the prior chief of the DPD violating the department's general orders regarding social media:

The police department’s general orders also forbid using, “obscene or abusive language or offensive gestures in their communication with co-workers or members of the public. Officers have received days off on numerous occasions for using bad language and using bad language in the context of not just putting it out to the public but saying it in front of other officers.”

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/01/08/police-chief-accused-of-violating-social-media-policy-with-foul-language/

1 hour ago, irockalltherocks said:

This story is about the prior chief of the DPD violating the department's general orders regarding social media:

The police department’s general orders also forbid using, “obscene or abusive language or offensive gestures in their communication with co-workers or members of the public. Officers have received days off on numerous occasions for using bad language and using bad language in the context of not just putting it out to the public but saying it in front of other officers.”

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/01/08/police-chief-accused-of-violating-social-media-policy-with-foul-language/

That's a misleading post.  The police chief was quoting the vulgar names a reporter allegedly had called him, not routinely posting foul mouth rants.  Quite different from what she did.  A hack lawyer for some officers that had been disciplined was simply grinding an ax.

Nothing misleading. It shows there is in fact a policy in place regarding social media postings and officers can be disciplined. If her posts had been monitored maybe she would have been reprimanded. Maybe taken off active duty (I know fat chance), and Jean wouldn't have been killed by her.

Not meaning to derail. Just trying to think of ways of identifying cops who appear to have issues before they act.

The Dallas County District Attorney’s Office obtained permission to analyze data on the electronic keys to the apartment front doors of Officer Amber Guyger and Jean, the Dallas Morning News reported Tuesday afternoon.

Guyger and Jean lived in the same apartment complex. The officer claimed that she walked into Jean’s home by mistake and shot him thinking that he was an intruder in her own apartment. Data retrieved from the keys could indicate if Jean’s door was ajar, as the officer claimed. She fired two shots, killing the 26-year-old Black man.

The analysis should show whether Guyger unlocked her own door before going to Jean’s apartment. It would also show whether she placed her key in Jean’s door. Videos posted on social media by neighbors appeared to show that apartment doors in the building shut automatically, which would prove that the officer was lying.

https://michronicleonline.com/2018/09/18/apartment-door-locks-could-prove-amber-guyger-lied-after-killing-botham-jean/

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

She gonna be proper fucked if the data refutes her story.

I'm going to assume the same company that manufactures the body cams/dash cams that somehow always malfunction during the most critical times also manufactures the keycard pads and their data storage system that were installed at the South Flats Apartments in Dallas, Texas.  

Anybody remember the movie, "Crazy People" with Dudley Moore?  Where they make those ads that tell the truth instead of using lies to market to the American people ? The commercial with the fumbling white people in a science lab, "because Caucasians are just too damn tall!".    That's who I picture making police cameras and apartment keycard systems.  When you can't be trusted to negotiate the on/off switch of a camera (which my 2-year old could do incredibly well) and you can't quite figure out the manner in which you place a keycard in front of reader, by golly...let's get you some weapons and a societal sanction to shoot darker people!  /endsarcasticrant 

Is that new because I lived in an apartment complex in 08 and it was just a regular door, and I don't remember any of the complexes I looked at having them either?  Or do traditional apartment complexes have different rules than these hotel style complexes?

Edited by Gene Parmesan

The 911 call hasn't been released but WFAA has a story about the call and cites a couple of unnamed sources. Presumably, those are DPD or DA's office sources. Says Amber was on the 911 call when she flipped on the lights and realized she was in the wrong apartment. She says "she's tired" and wonders "how she did that" and "I thought it was my apartment" at least a dozen times. Ballistics says there's gunpowder on the door or on the wall near the door along with the shell casings. Jean's body was found 15 or so feet away in the apartment and fell where he was initially shot. In going over the story this morning in "Muse in the News" Gordon said there are multiple reports of other residents experiencing issues with random people walking in on their apartments in that complex. Hmm ..

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/im-so-sorry-911-call-reveals-confusion-after-dallas-cop-kills-botham-jean/287-595990958

14 minutes ago, C-Man said:

The 911 call hasn't been released but WFAA has a story about the call and cites a couple of unnamed sources. Presumably, those are DPD or DA's office sources. Says Amber was on the 911 call when she flipped on the lights and realized she was in the wrong apartment. She says "she's tired" and wonders "how she did that" and "I thought it was my apartment" at least a dozen times. Ballistics says there's gunpowder on the door or on the wall near the door along with the shell casings. Jean's body was found 15 or so feet away in the apartment and fell where he was initially shot. In going over the story this morning in "Muse in the News" Gordon said there are multiple reports of other residents experiencing issues with random people walking in on their apartments in that complex. Hmm ..

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/im-so-sorry-911-call-reveals-confusion-after-dallas-cop-kills-botham-jean/287-595990958

That last about random dudes walking in may kind of confirm the self-closing, but not self-locking doors.  There are a buttload of homeless down there and my impression remains that those corridors and those "apartment number" things are weirdly generic and not particularly well-designed to let people know where the fuck they are, possibly accounting for erroneous entries from non-homeless.

I’m guessing this was already proffered (did not read every page), but let’s flip this on its head a bit and imagine a scenario where the tenant killed the female cop instead. I’m assuming she’d be a martyr?  Some fabricated story where she was lawfully responding to a complaint and was mowed down in cold blood?  

Because based on internet facts, I almost wish she was the one who was shot on entry. 

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

That last about random dudes walking in may kind of confirm the self-closing, but not self-locking doors.  There are a buttload of homeless down there and my impression remains that those corridors and those "apartment number" things are weirdly generic and not particularly well-designed to let people know where the fuck they are, possibly accounting for erroneous entries from non-homeless.

It also confirms that it’s possible to enter the wrong apartment but not kill the occupant. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Bert Orange said:

I’m guessing this was already proffered (did not read every page), but let’s flip this on its head a bit and imagine a scenario where the tenant killed the female cop instead. I’m assuming she’d be a martyr?  Some fabricated story where she was lawfully responding to a complaint and was mowed down in cold blood?  

Because based on internet facts, I almost wish she was the one who was shot on entry. 

Castle doctrine, but I'm not exactly sure how it applies when police are involved.  Assuming all the same facts but he shoots her, from what's been posted ITT it seems like he would be covered.  Besides at that point it's his narrative that we have for evidence, and I think that's the key in self defense cases.

23 hours ago, Constant said:

Essentially, yes. 

Appreciate you posting FYI. But in that post, they said “days off” not admin or suspended. Is days off a term of art? As in, if a story mentions that term, is that bad reporting, or the dept spokesperson being vague so one can’t really tell whether it is suspension or admin leave?

2 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Appreciate you posting FYI. But in that post, they said “days off” not admin or suspended. Is days off a term of art? As in, if a story mentions that term, is that bad reporting, or the dept spokesperson being vague so one can’t really tell whether it is suspension or admin leave?

Seems like generic/lazy reporting, but I don’t know. 

• Like 1