Dallas officer kills man after mistaking apartment for her own, police say

'stache

22 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I think she went to the wrong apartment, door was unlocked. She sees someone inside or movement and her being a cop with a gun, she immediately shoots the “intruder”.  Her training (urge to kill someone after training) taught her to shoot first and figure out later  

when she hit the lights she realized her fuck up and all of the bullshit from there is just trying to save her ass  

I was with you until the stories came out from witnesses that she was repeatedly banging on the door saying "let me in".

1 minute ago, Orange&White said:

I was with you until the stories came out from witnesses that she was repeatedly banging on the door saying "let me in".

Keep in mind these witnesses didn't say anything to the police investigating, but later came forward to the attorney representing the victim's family.  If they are legit yes it changes things, but right now it's all just guesses.  The same goes for these noise complaints. 

15 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Keep in mind these witnesses didn't say anything to the police investigating, but later came forward to the attorney representing the victim's family.  If they are legit yes it changes things, but right now it's all just guesses.  The same goes for these noise complaints. 

Do we have any evidence that the police actually talked to anyone or really did any investigating? Strange thing to "ding" the witnesses on. 

Just now, Dahobbs said:

Do we have any evidence that the police actually talked to anyone or really did any investigating? Strange thing to "ding" the witnesses on. 

I mean if that's your stance then I guess you can believe anything, but hearsay from the victim's attorney isn't going to make it as evidence in the trial.

29 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I mean if that's your stance then I guess you can believe anything, but hearsay from the victim's attorney isn't going to make it as evidence in the trial.

I didn't suggest it would. I had assumed that any such witnesses would testify at trial. What I was responding to was your insinuation that the witnesses weren't to be trusted because they didn't tell the police investigators the same thing. As I said, I'm not aware of any evidence that the police spoke to any of these people. Thus, I don't see any inconsistency there and don't see it as reason to doubt to credibility of the witnesses.   

• Like 1

She worked a 15 hour shift, but had lodged a noise complaint against him that day?  She's coming off a 15 hour shift at 10 at night, which means her day started at 7AM.  And I'm sure she had to report to the station before her day started.

So at what time did she make the noise complaint?  Who did she speak to at 5:30-6AM to make a noise complaint? Was there noise at that hour?  Because in my experience, the best time to make a noise complaint is when there's...you know...actual noise happening.

9 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I didn't suggest it would. I had assumed that any such witnesses would testify at trial. What I was responding to was your insinuation that the witnesses weren't to be trusted because they didn't tell the police investigators the same thing. As I said, I'm not aware of any evidence that the police spoke to any of these people. Thus, I don't see any inconsistency there and don't see it as reason to doubt to credibility of the witnesses.   

I didn't mean witnesses weren't to be trusted, as much as reports of witnesses existing maybe aren't to be trusted.  If they exist, and are on record with their testimony then I wouldn't ding them because they didn't initially talk to police. 

On 9/15/2018 at 8:37 AM, miguelito said:

If any of this was premeditated, then she is really stupid.  She might still be stupid, either way.

Uhm, if its not premediated, then she went to the wrong apartment, with a pretty red doormat and didn't realize she was at the wrong apartment until the resident was dead.

Stupid or liar. There's really only 2 choices.

40 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Uhm, if its not premediated, then she went to the wrong apartment, with a pretty red doormat and didn't realize she was at the wrong apartment until the resident was dead.

Stupid or liar. There's really only 2 choices

The third choice was she really was dead fucking tired, and just wasn't paying attention. I'm not sure I believe her on that, but it is a possibility that has to be considered given her statement.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gooby said:

She worked a 15 hour shift, but had lodged a noise complaint against him that day?  She's coming off a 15 hour shift at 10 at night, which means her day started at 7AM.  And I'm sure she had to report to the station before her day started.

So at what time did she make the noise complaint?  Who did she speak to at 5:30-6AM to make a noise complaint? Was there noise at that hour?  Because in my experience, the best time to make a noise complaint is when there's...you know...actual noise happening.

If she did make a noise complaint that day, again IF she did, it would not be unusual to call her apartment office during her down time of the middle of the day.

I could see that happening then the first thing on her mind when she got home that evening was to confront him face to face, then it went south.

3 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't understand this.  Those witness "reports" were out the next day, before an attorney even came forward.  See Vic's post from that Friday:

There was a witness.... saying they heard a bunch of of yelling saying OPEN UP! OPEN UP! this was murder.

On 9/16/2018 at 9:16 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well, there's still a process that has to be followed I'd assume.  You don't fire somebody without having actual, verifiable facts.

Well we already have a few. Fact No 1: He was in his own apartment. Fact No. 2: she was not there in her official capacity. Fact No. 3: she killed him.

Without taking any other information into account, those three facts alone are pretty damning with regard to her competence as a police officer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

Well we already have a few. Fact No 1: He was in his own apartment. Fact No. 2: she was not there in her official capacity. Fact No. 3: she killed him.

Without taking any other information into account, those three facts alone are pretty damning with regard to her competence as a police officer.

I've never said she didn't fuck up royally, and I don't think she should be carrying a firearm ever, but I don't think she can be fired out of pocket like that.

I don't think it matters what anyone says here though, at the very least she should be on suspended duty till the verifiable facts surrounding your 3 obvious ones are clarified.  

Murder or man slaughter ?  Will they be able to prove one over the other ?

41 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

And those witnesses may be a little hesitant to speak to cops, seeing as a cop that lives in their building just shot and killed their neighbor. I wouldn't exactly want to go snitching when the cop is out walking free... might end up as the next victim.

Yeah that too, but I posted what I did because it seems a lot of people are trying to discredit the witnesses by saying they only came forward when the attorney showed up. I've seen that used numerous times.  But in fact, if you look on page 2 there are accounts of witnesses saying they heard someone shouting, as well as some guy saying he heard yelling before the shots.  That was well before the lawyer showed up.  

8 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Yeah that too, but I posted what I did because it seems a lot of people are trying to discredit the witnesses by saying they only came forward when the attorney showed up. I've seen that used numerous times.  But in fact, if you look on page 2 there are accounts of witnesses saying they heard someone shouting, as well as some guy saying he heard yelling before the shots.  That was well before the lawyer showed up.  

Her story isn't holding up.  It's coming across as an initial encounter going south in a hurry.  She comes home from a late shift, wants to go to sleep, thinks he's being loud, heads up to confront him, it escalates, and then we get this murder, execution type thing (Marge Gunderson).

Is there a way the keycard pads keep record of when a card was swiped in front of them.  And specifically, both cards that didn't read correctly and ones that did read properly?  Like if I go swipe my keycard past the wrong hotel room door three times and get the red blinking light---will the system remember that?  Probably not I'm guessing.  NO real reason it should.  You'd get so many false positives from somebody walking down the hall too close to the doorknobs with the key in his right hand.  But...wouldn't some of these systems register when you swiped correctly on the right door? 

I wonder if there's a keyfob record of her going home first and opening her own door, hearing the noise, and then heading upstairs finally.  

28 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I don't, that's for the DA, police and court to decide. I'm merely pointing out there was a third choice.  Don't try to say I'm trying to defend her, I'm not.

You may not be "defending" her, but you apparently are compelled to post over and over again about giving her the benefit of the doubt. So yes, it seems like you're defending her. 

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

You may not be "defending" her, but you apparently are compelled to post over and over again about giving her the benefit of the doubt. So yes, it seems like you're defending her. 

No I'm not. I've also said over and over she fucked up and very well may have murdered him (SEE: My last post on the subject), but hey, edit my thoughts as you'd like.

24 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Is there a way the keycard pads keep record of when a card was swiped in front of them.  And specifically, both cards that didn't read correctly and ones that did read properly?  Like if I go swipe my keycard past the wrong hotel room door three times and get the red blinking light---will the system remember that?  Probably not I'm guessing.  NO real reason it should.  You'd get so many false positives from somebody walking down the hall too close to the doorknobs with the key in his right hand.  But...wouldn't some of these systems register when you swiped correctly on the right door? 

I wonder if there's a keyfob record of her going home first and opening her own door, hearing the noise, and then heading upstairs finally.  

Depending on the system it could record and track everything, but we don't know what they have in place.  My gut leans on this system being rudimentary though.

4 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Depending on the system it could record and track everything, but we don't know what they have in place.  My gut leans on this system being rudimentary though.

It was stated upthread that at least his lock was analyzed/downloaded and also, I believe, hers too.

3 hours ago, Gooby said:

Gooby, pls. It wasn't a Motel 8, there wasn't anyone in the office at 5;30 in the morning.

We all knew there was an intentional influence exercise going on because of the ridiculous "15 hour shift" nonsense that was inserted into every reporting of this story from the very beginning.  In your ordinary citizen on citizen murders, you never, ever, ever see things like "Johnny was real tired after working all day and it made him shoot and kill his wife".

Instead in this case, just a few gentle extra facts are sprinkled in that, while completely pointless and irrelevant, offer up just enough to convince bootlickers and the easily manipulated that "Maybe there's more to the story."  It's even easier to make suggestions since the suspect is female, you can play off biases and suggest that tired women are capable of any sort of negligence and violence. And some people will generally buy it, or consider it.

Here's the point. It doesn't matter. Someone with a gun shot and killed a man inside his own home. Once that fact has been established, the only question to answer at that point is if it was committed as part of a robbery or other crime, and if capital murder charges can be applied. Everyone trying to apply whys and hows to this as if it's a murder mystery are only giving the suspect more canvas to paint some ridiculous narrative.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I've never said she didn't fuck up royally, and I don't think she should be carrying a firearm ever, but I don't think she can be fired out of pocket like that.

I don't think it matters what anyone says here though, at the very least she should be on suspended duty till the verifiable facts surrounding your 3 obvious ones are clarified.  

Murder or man slaughter ?  Will they be able to prove one over the other ?

In what plausible version of events does her conduct not warrant immediate firing? Literally anyone that did something 1/100th as bad and working for a private company would be fired without question. You don't need a conviction beyond a reasonable doubt to fire someone. 

10 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

In what plausible version of events does her conduct not warrant immediate firing? Literally anyone that did something 1/100th as bad and working for a private company would be fired without question. You don't need a conviction beyond a reasonable doubt to fire someone. 

Who the hell knows, she's not in the private sector so firing her is more complicated.  How do you not get that ? They have unions, and part of their union perks is getting fired isn't easy.

27 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Who the hell knows, she's not in the private sector so firing her is more complicated.  How do you not get that ? They have unions, and part of their union perks is getting fired isn't easy.

(1) Even giving her every benefit of the doubt, her best case story STILL deserves firing. At very best, her conduct was extremely reckless. She should not be a police officer. Period. 

(2) Yes, as a public employee firing her is more complicated. Even given that proviso, in this instance, where she went into the home of another person AND KILLED HIM, she should be immediately fired. 

(3) I get it. You don't appear to comprehend the above. Again, there is no scenario where she deserves to keep her job.

13 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

(1) Even giving her every benefit of the doubt, her best case story STILL deserves firing. At very best, her conduct was extremely reckless. She should not be a police officer. Period. 

(2) Yes, as a public employee firing her is more complicated. Even given that proviso, in this instance, where she went into the home of another person AND KILLED HIM, she should be immediately fired. 

(3) I get it. You don't appear to comprehend the above. Again, there is no scenario where she deserves to keep her job.

No you don't get whether she should be fired immediately or not has nothing to do with what will happen.

4 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I don't, that's for the DA, police and court to decide. I'm merely pointing out there was a third choice.  Don't try to say I'm trying to defend her, I'm not.

This makes sense. I've been sending Onboard all of the pleadings in my criminal cases and asking him to make a decision. But, as he so astutely points out, that's the job of the DA and the police and the court. Boy is my face red! 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Deserve aint got nothin to do with it.  We're talkin police union here.  She probably will get fired, then appeal it, blah blah blah and it will take a year to happen.

31 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

No you don't get whether she should be fired immediately or not has nothing to do with what will happen.

Yes, I get that what should happen and what does happen is often different. I'm not attempting to predict what the cops will do (although I could, and Brisket has done a good job of it). Rather, my focus is prescriptive, as in what should be done. She should be fired. Now. And, to be abundantly clear, I think she could legally be fired now. But I don't think she will be. 

4 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Gooby, pls. It wasn't a Motel 8, there wasn't anyone in the office at 5;30 in the morning.

They have these things nowadays called mobile phones.  Means she didn't necessarily have to be in her apartment to call and complain.

A lot of apartments also have after hours answering services that take messages for the office.

9 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

These witness comments regarding Guyger saying "let me in" were out on the internet pretty early in the whole fiasco and well before they went to the victims lawyer with it. Not sure why the police didn't interview them. 

25 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Yes, I get that what should happen and what does happen is often different. I'm not attempting to predict what the cops will do (although I could, and Brisket has done a good job of it). Rather, my focus is prescriptive, as in what should be done. She should be fired. Now. And, to be abundantly clear, I think she could legally be fired now. But I don't think she will be. 

Right and wrong don't mean anything. The union has a provision in their agreement, I'm sure, that states you can't fire for cause without a (long) process I'm sure.

Not really sure what you're even arguing besides yeah she ought to be fired for her huge blunder, which no one here is really arguing against. She could be fired for simple incompetence all the way up to murder IMO, but still has to be given the Union treatment.  The union is there to protect their members, they don't even care about guilt or innocence IMO.