Dallas officer kills man after mistaking apartment for her own, police say

'stache

6 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

uh oh

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2018/09/19/apartment-managers-really-visited-botham-jeans-home-before-killed-amber-guyger

even MORE uh-oh at the end:

he was found next to the couch, watching football, with his laptop, texting friends.

but he's black, i guess, so he must be a burglar because of the drugs found in the apartment.

how does that change anything?

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

how does that change anything?

Proof he was a serious druggie. No telling what he might do under the influence of mind altering substances like watch football on TV in his home.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bernorange said:

So, DMN confirms Jean's body was near the couch.  He did not open the door for her.  IMO, that lends some credibility to her story.  Doesn't justify the shooting of course, but it sounds like a tragedy of unfortunate events rather than something premeditated.

Yeah, it does a bit. It till doesn't justify her shooting him instead of just backing the hell out of the door.  He had to be more than several away from her and thus posed no imminent threat, now she'll say she thought she saw a gun in his hand (Channel changer or cereal spoon) . She's totally unsuited for being in possession of a gun.

• Like 1

You can't really justify that you were in fear of your life when you shot someone across the room who was watching tv and eating cereal while you had the option to easily back out of the situation.  She wasn't cornered and he wasn't near her.  She could have backed down the hallway and still had the option of using deadly force if necessary if he came after her.  If she doesn't lose her peace officer license and get jail time out of this, it will be a travesty.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, kevwun said:

You can't really justify that you were in fear of your life when you shot someone across the room who was watching tv and eating cereal while you had the option to easily back out of the situation.  She wasn't cornered and he wasn't near her.  She could have backed down the hallway and still had the option of using deadly force if necessary if he came after her.  If she doesn't lose her peace officer license and get jail time out of this, it will be a travesty.

Pretty much.  At the very least she should lose her job. The civil penalties, if any are actually awarded, should fuck her for the rest of her life.

the positioning of the furniture in the living room will be important-  was jean facing her and the tv facing away from her?  if so she should be clearly able to see him and what he was holding.  was the tv facing her?  if so she could say she was blinded by the tv and just saw the silhouette of someone with something in his hand, backlit by the tv.

3 hours ago, bernorange said:

So, DMN confirms Jean's body was near the couch.  He did not open the door for her.  IMO, that lends some credibility to her story.  Doesn't justify the shooting of course, but it sounds like a tragedy of unfortunate events rather than something premeditated.

Only if they have the exact same taste in furnitur...

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

the positioning of the furniture in the living room will be important-  was jean facing her and the tv facing away from her?  if so she should be clearly able to see him and what he was holding.  was the tv facing her?  if so she could say she was blinded by the tv and just saw the silhouette of someone with something in his hand, backlit by the tv.

It shouldnt matter if he was high as a kite and cleaning his gun. She entered his house unlawfully and then killed him.  If he had a gun, his biggest mistake was not shooting an intruder with it.  If she gets off by claiming she thinks he had a gun, in his own home in Texas, then we need to just disband the DPD altogether and start over by hiring police that are considered citizens first. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Well, also how it compares to how her furniture is arranged in her apartment. 

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

It shouldnt matter if he was high as a kite and cleaning his gun. She entered his house unlawfully and then killed him.  If he had a gun, his biggest mistake was not shooting an intruder with it.  If she gets off by claiming she thinks he had a gun, in his own home in Texas, then we need to just disband the DPD altogether and start over by hiring police that are considered citizens first. 

We could call it

Citizens On Patrol

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

If she gets off by claiming she thinks he had a gun, in his own home in Texas, then we need to just disband the DPD altogether and start over by hiring police that are considered citizens first. 

Wasn't an armed elderly homeowner killed by FW police in his garage a couple years ago? As I recall it was a "tragic accident".

6 hours ago, bernorange said:

He might have opened the door, and backed away, and then gotten shot. He might have opened the door and gotten shot, staggered back and fell in the living room.

4 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

As I pointed out a page or two ago, visibility and perception is going to be a key issue for the "reasonable belief" element of her defenses. As to him, his movements, the interior of the apartment, etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

You know damn well the 2nd amendment only applies to the whites.

I haven’t read a damn thing that “lends credibility” to her bullshit story. 

Until I see a video of the cop trying to open the door with her key, it not working, then she kind of trying it a hundred more times and it not working, then she somehow notices the door is slightly ajar and walks in...she’s a murderer in my book. 

On 9/20/2018 at 12:28 AM, Chewbacca said:

Had anyone ever killed a cop in their house and been found not guilty? This assumes they live to see a trial, of course.

There was a case a year ago or so on the other site that this black guy’s home was raided, wrong house and he killed a cop. Forgot what happened. They did find small drug amounts Though? Not sure. Really wish I remember more details. Was the south somewhere I want to say...

Oh I don't think she'll skate due to that but if the opportunity is there they'll take it

8 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

A little over two weeks? That's probably about as fast as they could do it and still follow proceedures to keep clean on the backside.

Yep and it will still get tied up in some kind of union-mandated appeal for probably a year or more, if she goes there.  Kind of wonder too if it is as a result of some information coming forward.

I could be horribly mistaken, but I have a notion that DPD and Dallas County DA are trying to do things more right than they have in the past.

On 9/21/2018 at 5:27 PM, Neonmoon said:

I haven’t read a damn thing that “lends credibility” to her bullshit story. 

Until I see a video of the cop trying to open the door with her key, it not working, then she kind of trying it a hundred more times and it not working, then she somehow notices the door is slightly ajar and walks in...she’s a murderer in my book. 

Even then, it's still murder.

On 9/21/2018 at 1:13 PM, FondrenRoad said:

On 9/21/2018 at 4:55 PM, 'stache said:

You know damn well the 2nd amendment only applies to the whites.

Well, according to NRA spokesperson Dana Loetch, the only thing that can stop a good guy with a gun is another good guy with a gun. 2nd amendment certainly applies to dead black dudes who can be used as a prop for your disgusting agenda.

https://www.newsweek.com/nra-dana-loesch-botham-jean-dallas-cop-killed-neighbor-apartment-1116267

Edited by irishtexan

30 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

DPD fired the police officer

I just read the release.  It says an internal affairs investigation concluded she engaged in "adverse conduct" when "she was arrested for manslaughter."  That may be just an extraordinarily poorly worded release, or the cause for firing wasn't the shooting itself, but the way the arrest was handled?

Edited by TwiceHorn

It’s a shame that all unions get lumped together in one blob in Texas.  

I bet we’d be less adamant about right to work status if ‘union protection’ didn’t cover both on the job work injuries at construction sites, oil rigs, and long haul trucking with 60% salary;  and then also ability to shoot black people resting at home with full pay 

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I just read the release.  It says an internal affairs investigation concluded she engaged in "adverse conduct" when "she was arrested for manslaughter."  That may be just an extraordinarily poorly worded release, or the cause for firing wasn't the shooting itself, but the way the arrest was handled?

It says that on Sept 9th she engaged in adverse conduct.     She murdered the guy on Sept 7th.  

So killing the guy, not a problem

On 9/21/2018 at 2:20 PM, RPM said:

Wasn't an armed elderly homeowner killed by FW police in his garage a couple years ago? As I recall it was a "tragic accident".

Yep, cops showed up to investigate a burglary call and went to the wrong house.  Homeowner hears something going on outside his house, comes out through his garage and is shot by the police.  Police say he pointed a gun at them.  Family says he was shielding himself from their lights and was standing in his own garage.  No police were indicted.

Once she’s acquired by a North Texas jury on the “Druggie failed to follow orders” defense she’ll be hired immediately at some suburban department, probably with a raise and hero’s welcome. Betty fucking Shelby is still working and actually teaching some course about survival or something. Should be a short class. “Shoot first ask questions later, jury will save you. Class dismissed.”

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Once she’s acquired by a North Texas jury on the “Druggie failed to follow orders” defense she’ll be hired immediately at some suburban department, probably with a raise and hero’s welcome. Betty fucking Shelby is still working and actually teaching some course about survival or something. Should be a short class. “Shoot first ask questions later, jury will save you. Class dismissed.”

Good point, and there was video of Shelby shooting a guy with his hands up and slowly walking away from her.  And other cops were there who saw no need to kill the man, and she walked.

Guyger will walk