Sterlin Gilbert

Katfid54

14 of those points were kick returns. USF scored 35 offensive points on 426 yards.

OU scored 49 offensive point on 485 total yards.

Texas scored 28 offensive points on 478 total yards.

I don’t know what to make of this data, I didn’t watch the second half last night. I assume our efficiency and 3rd down conversion rate are pretty terrible. Our offense S&P+ rank is 45, defense is 43. We’re very mediocre on both sides of the ball.

That said, I’d much rather have Sterlin’s offense than what we’re running now.

9 minutes ago, ousux said:

Hindsight is..10/15?

Our offense sucked under Gilbert, it just looked better compared to the year before, nothing more, nothing less. Remember Kansas? Yeah, that was the Giblet/rapelor offense against that stout jayhawk D.

GD it.  It far from sucked.  We had a Qb with a messed up throwing hand and broken ribs trying to compete against KU.  Go bang your thumb with a hammer, run your chest into a pole until something cracks and then try to throw a football.  It's not the Giblet's fault that our only backup QB is an NFL tight end.  And any offense that takes a backup and turns him into a Doak winner doesn't suck. Gilbert isn't Art Briles. He's just a practitioner of the offense and it shows, but all of his offenses have a pulse. I really wish someone had bothered to add on the 18 Wheeler package but there it is.

Oh, btw, that sorry Tulsa team that should have put up 40+ points on us?  Yeah, they also run the Giblet's offense.  I'd much rather run the Veer and Shoot than be subject to the Collective. Cam Rising would wreck shop in that attack.

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Like 7

No thanks.

Here are our offense S&P+ rankings over the years

99 in 2017 (Beck)
30 in 2016 (Gilbert)
64 in 2015 (Watson year 2/Norvell)
90 in 2014 (Watson year 1)
49 in 2013 (Applewhite)
24 in 2012 (Harsin year 2)
84 in 2011 (Harsin year 1)
88 in 2010 (Davis year whatever)
4 in 2009 (Davis year whatever)

That’s a lot of terrible offense in a state known for it. Bryan was good, Gilbert did well with one year. The rest is shit.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

14 of those points were kick returns. USF scored 35 offensive points on 426 yards.

OU scored 49 offensive point on 485 total yards.

Texas scored 28 offensive points on 478 total yards.

I don’t know what to make of this data, I didn’t watch the second half last night. I assume our efficiency and 3rd down conversion rate are pretty terrible. Our offense S&P+ rank is 45, defense is 43. We’re very mediocre on both sides of the ball.

That said, I’d much rather have Sterlin’s offense than what we’re running now.

Our goal is two first downs....obviously those other teams just have different goals than us.

1 minute ago, Dark Horse said:

99 in 2017 (Beck)
30 in 2016 (Gilbert)
49 in 2013 (Applewhite)

That’s a lot of terrible offense in a state known for it. Bryan was good, Gilbert did well with one year. The rest is shit.

Garrett Gilbert destroyed this program.

1 hour ago, Dark Horse said:

99 in 2017 (Beck)
30 in 2016 (Gilbert)
49 in 2013 (Applewhite)

2016 thanks to Dontai Foreman, the passing game wasn't all that good iirc.  Lost to Kansas. 

1 hour ago, Dark Horse said:

99 in 2017 (Beck)
30 in 2016 (Gilbert)
49 in 2013 (Applewhite)

how many new offenses and blocking schemes did our team have to learn over that stretch?  Four systems?    Five?  

13 minutes ago, NowThis said:

2016 thanks to Dontai Foreman, the passing game wasn't all that good iirc.  Lost to Kansas. 

No. Foreman and the V/S benefited each other. Shane was hurt as a passer by the third game and never fully recovered. 

Saying the production was all Foreman is shallow BS. I guess BU putting up video game numbers on offense was my imagination. 

That offense was hard on its own defense, but it’s puts up numbers wherever it’s used. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

GD it.  It far from sucked.  We had a Qb with a messed up throwing hand and broken ribs trying to compete against KU.  Go bang your thumb with a hammer, run your chest into a pole until something cracks and then try to throw a football.  It's not the Giblet's fault that our only backup QB is an NFL tight end.  And any offense that takes a backup and turns him into a Doak winner doesn't suck. Gilbert isn't Art Briles. He's just a practitioner of the offense and it shows, but all of his offenses have a pulse. I really wish someone had bothered to add on the 18 Wheeler package but there it is.

Oh, btw, that sorry Tulsa team that should have put up 40+ points on us?  Yeah, they also run the Giblet's offense.  I'd much rather run the Veer and Shoot than be subject to the Collective. Cam Rising would wreck shop in that attack.

All of this and the fact that Gilbert had a grand total of one season to implement and get the players familiar with the stuff.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

So do you think Foreman had 50 carries against KU because Shane was healthy, or because Shane was hurt and we didn’t have a backup? Figure it out. 

No shit.  Also, how many turnovers did Sterlin Gilbert commit?

Edited by scottsins

34 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

June Jones rehabbed him. Davis was exposed. The talent level on offense had already started to wilt.

Meh, he was good-ish for one season in the AAC.  He had 15 TDs and 15 INTs his first year.  Yeah he made an NFL roster, bleh.  He wasn't a good P5 QB.

33 minutes ago, NowThis said:

Do you give any credit to the OC for the running game, or do you think he just designed and called the pass plays?  The v&s running game is light years better than whatever the fuck we do now.

If anyone is curious of our defense S&P+:

2017 - 21 (Orlando 1)
2016 - 60 (Bedford 3/Strong)
2015 - 62 (Bedford 2)
2014 - 8 (Bedford 1)
2013 - 44 (Diaz 3/ Robinson)
2012 - 32 (Diaz 2)
2011 - 9 (Diaz 1)
2010 - 31 (Boom 3)
2009 - 2 (Boom 2)
2008 - 6 (Boom 1)

I’m sure S&P+ isn’t the perfect ranking system, but it seems pretty close to reality.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, scottsins said:

Do you give any credit to the OC for the running game, or do you think he just designed and called the pass plays?  The v&s running game is light years better than whatever the fuck we do now.

Foreman was a beast, carried the damn team on his back.  Wasn't a secret then. 

17 minutes ago, VaHorn said:

I am a fan of Gilbert. I hope he does well.  If anyone tells you he would be an answer to our problems, well, they are just funning you. Ignore them. 

His style of offense doesn’t mesh with Herman’s. So that’s never happening. 

His style of offense did work well here and would do so again. The problem with the V/S is that’s Art Briles was it’s best practitioner, and everyone else is just operating the system they have learned. They surely have added and adapted to it, but I don’t know if any are elite offensive minds like Art was. Gilbert and Kendall run it best though. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

His style of offense doesn’t mesh with Herman’s. So that’s never happening. 

His style of offense did work well here and would do so again. The problem with the V/S is that’s Art Briles was it’s best practitioner, and everyone else is just operating the system they have learned. They surely have added and adapted to it, but I don’t know if any are elite offensive minds like Art was. Gilbert and Kendall run it best though. 

Herman's $5milion UT offensive "style" seems to be slow with "sputtering"  mixed with turnovers and lackadaisical effort devoid of emotion and consistency.

Also if you dare to gain over 5 yards on a carry as a RB, you are labelled as overqualified and need to sit a few quarters.

Opposing defenses are perplexed, but appreciative, as they get a lot of rest.

58 minutes ago, scottsins said:

All of this and the fact that Gilbert had a grand total of one season to implement and get the players familiar with the stuff.

Yep because those shitty offensive players, as shitty as they were, were very familiar with the attributes of that style of offense because they were similar to the atttributes of spread offenses almost all of those guys ran in HS. They could pick it up quickly. That 2016 offense MADE Connor Williams. 

If we had promoted Gilbert to HC for say 2.3 million a year and went out and got a bad ass D coordinator to do what Orlando has done we'd be a much better offense and team that we are now. Not saying we should have done that but if we did we'd have a pretry good offense right now. I think even Ehlinger's shitty ass would be a lot better in that system. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

You really going to die on this hill. 

Sir, the V/S is entirely defensible as is Sterlin Gilbert’s Career. Shane’s injury status isn’t in question for the KU game.

Art Briles managed to win a bowl game with a running back at QB so I guess we could have tried that. But it was plainly obvious that Shane had been reduced to a pop gun arm by his injuries. The offense is dirt simple and doesn’t even require he QB to read the defense, but it does require big throws to execute, and I can dig up quotes by the coaches to support that. 

Charlie Strong and the 2016 team lost to KU. And for reasons listed above the offense was sub optimal. But the V/S also won a couple of conference titles, a Heisman and up video game numbers at BU. The offense isn’t the problem.  Sterlin Gilbert wasn’t the problem. We can dig up the offensive stats for his career and I’d love to see people try to poke holes in it.

Buh, we lost to Kansas. Yeah, we’ll we should have lost to Tulsa last night. Does that make the Herman power spread ineffectual?  Miss State and Ohio State thinks it’s fine. The body of work is far more convincing than the simpleton’s take on the KU game.

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Like 1

Mack didn't even want D'Onta on the squad. He only wanted Armanti, and the only reason he even paid any attention to D was that he was Armanti's twin. Didn't matter how many yards he ran for at Texas City, Mack just wanted Armanti. But then Armanti started saying they were a package deal, and if Mack would take both, he would get neither. So Mack said, fine, have D come to Austin and if he can break 4.6 in the 40 I'll sign him up. D comes to Austin, all the way from Galveston / Texas City to run a 40. Mack doesn't bother dragging his ass out of the office to watch him run it or introduce himself. Nothing. Armanti is seething and about to decommit. D runs a 4.53 or whatever. Mack fucking sends word that that was good enough, and he could have one of the last scholarships in the class that year. 

Where would we have been in 2016 if Mack had pissed D'Onta away, and Sterlin had to run I can't even remember who between the tackles 50 times that game? 

Yeah let's bring back Mack. 

(Source on D'Onta story: the Foreman bros Texas City OC, speaking to Craig Way a few years back, right before we got mashed by TCU.)

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

9 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

In 2011, Gilbert was shellshocked, benched against BYU for Case McCoy.

In 2013, Gilbert threw for 3500 yards, 21 TDs, 7 ints. 6th round draft pick. That’s a “rehab”

In 2013,  Gilbert was the the 58th rated passer in FBS.

The more time goes by, the more it fades into my memory, but I can't really work out whether he or Swoopes was the worst starting UT QB I've ever seen.  (Putting them above even Ehlinger is a huge joke....)

22 minutes ago, scottsins said:

Agreed. I also believe that Foreman’s dominance would be to a significantly lesser degree if he was in the current “system”.

Of course it would.

Because he wouldn't have the benefit of light boxes, open space and an offensive line that excelled under a simpler and more direct system. 

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

This may seem like a bold concept, but hear me out.  What if we send our university president and athletic director on a private jet to Tampa and be Gilbert to be our offensive coordinator for $1 million?

No school in their right mind would ever do anything like that.

Gilbert has much more sample size than the one or two games of this year, but I caught some of that USF game this Saturday and their QB, Barnett (former Alabama player apparently) looked great. He took over the game in the 4th quarter. He's also 22 years old, and not an injured true freshman that should have been redshirted. Comparing Gilbert's time here to the rest of his career isn't apples-to-apples.