Suge Knight

conVINCEd

1 hour ago, slorch said:

"Who the fuck is he?"

#Surlists who never knew NWA.

He never had anything to do qith NWA. He formed Death Row Records with Dre, after Dre left NWA. I never understood why Dre brought him in either, since it never seemed like he brought anything to the table.

Good riddance.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Yea he was pure muscle and got shit done in the shadows

Yup he basically ran the company as a gang. The culture at the time lent itself to the faith/pac type beefs and over the top angst and animosity.

imo Atlanta’s emergence really added a stabilizing force to the industry in the ‘00s

• Like 2

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2018/09/20/suge-knight-agrees-serve-28-years-after-pleading-manslaughter/1373863002/

Knight collapsed during one court hearing, two of his former attorneys were indicted on witness-tampering charges, and his fiancee pleaded no contest to selling video of Knight hitting the two men with his truck.

His attorney Albert DeBlanc Jr., appointed by the court five months ago, was his 16th, and Knight tried to fire him and get yet another lawyer just a day before the deal was reached. DeBlanc declined comment Thursday.

While awaiting trial, Knight was also accused of threatening "Straight Outta Compton" director F. Gary Gray.

9 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

He's a bad mother fucker.  I can't remember what actor I saw doing an interview about the fact they were at a Hollywood party and Suge and his crew walked in and  half the people immediately left out of pure fear.

You should watch the interview with Vanilla Ice where he talks about Suge.  He talks about how Suge's guys showed up, told him they were getting a cut of his music, and basically implied they'd ghost him right then and there if he didn't agree.  He agreed.

Man, I just happened to land on All Eyez on Me tonight.  Granted rap culture is a "layer" or two removed from drug dealing culture, but it's alarmingly similar.

I was reading the Don Winslow books on Mexican cartels, which are fiction, but based on truth, pretty closely in a lot of instances.  For all the straight-up business involved in both record production and sales and drug manufacture and sales, and some of it is pretty sophisticated stuff, the "beefs" and violence are just so strikingly juvenile.

Maybe this is a poor analogy, but it's my visceral reaction to all of it.  It's grown men that never grew the fuck up.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 9/20/2018 at 7:41 PM, pacman said:

He never had anything to do qith NWA. He formed Death Row Records with Dre, after Dre left NWA. I never understood why Dre brought him in either, since it never seemed like he brought anything to the table.

Good riddance.

Suge got Dre out of his contract with EazyE/Jerry Heller/Ruthless Records where Dre was making pennies on the dollar that he would make with Death Row.  Dre was an employee of RR but became a part owner of Death Row with Suge.

Edited by Goredho